Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New virtual caller app for iPhone (and NOW, ANDROID TOO)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 06:59 PM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. I've been meaning to do that (and the new 2016 masters + advanced NSRCA sequences). I'll try to get it done this weekend.

Peter+
Old 08-16-2015, 08:28 PM
pvogel

New proposed NSRCA Advanced and Masters sequences have been added. You may need to hit the refresh button (circular arrow) at the top of the main screen to get the updated sequences loaded. They are shown as "Advanced 2016" and "Masters 2016"

Peter+
Old 12-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Jason Arnold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Peter,

I just purchased your app thinking it would have P and F17 in it. It doesn't unfortunately... Do you know when the new FAI schedules will be available?

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:34 PM
pvogel

Sorry about that Jason! Hit the reload button at the top of the main caller screen and they should be there for you now.

Peter+
Old 12-15-2015, 09:36 PM
pvogel

P-17 and F-17 have been added to the cloud sequence database.

Coming soon: Generate an F3A unknown following the 2017 unknown sequence generation rules -- I may make this a paid add-on as I'm hosting a service to generate the sequences and I'd like to offset the cost somewhat...

Peter+
Old 12-19-2015, 07:02 AM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by pvogel
Android folks:

Here's what you need to know:

1. In voice recognition mode, for reliable recognition of keyword phrases I need 3-4 syllables so the vocabulary is "Start Calling, Next Maneuver, Previous Maneuver, Repeat Maneuver, Stop Calling"
2. In tilt mode, only roll works decently. I calibrate the position of the device when you start the caller, usually by the button on the wired headset, so before you click it, make sure you are in your normal flying position and that the device in portrait mode would be rolling when you tilt your TX, or whatever you have the phone attached to. I watch for a return to nearly the same position as the starting position to reset the trigger to wait for the next right/left roll.
3. I need a network connection to get the maneuvers, but I don't need a network connection for the voice recognition.

Peter+
Perhaps this is already covered, if so please let me know the post number...

I have a Samsung Galaxy 4. I downloaded the app and installed per post 120.

When I start the app, it pulls up for about 1 second and then closes with the prompt, "Unfortunately, RCCaller has stopped".

I cleared my cache and checked my phone memory. I have over 2G on the phone and have over 3G on my SD card.

I was expecting to pay, but did not see anything to allow me to make payment. It shows me as "Participating as a tester"

Larry
Old 12-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Jason Arnold

Originally Posted by pvogel
Sorry about that Jason! Hit the reload button at the top of the main caller screen and they should be there for you now.

Peter+
Thanks Peter,

I've installed your app on my iPad but it seems to not recognise the voice prompting at all. Possibly just a simple setting. Do you have instructions for your app or a suggestion to fix my issue?

Cheers,
Jason.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:39 PM
pvogel

Get rid of your aussie accent? :-)

Honestly, I really wanted voice recognition to work for this, but given the environment at the field, it just doesn't, even when it works 100% perfectly at home it doesn't work at the field with wind, etc. the processing capabilities of the phone are just not enough to handle a good language model that will recognize anyone's voice and all the options beyond the Carnegie-mellon project I'm using depend on a really good internet connection (like Siri does) to do the voice recognition which introduces too much latency to be useful in an RC Calling scenario.

I strongly recommend the tilt methodology (experiment with the trigger and reset angles to ensure it advances when you want it to and doesn't advance when you don't want it to) -- I used that successfully at the field for a full season. I do also sell a bluetooth device you can hook up to an open channel on a spare receiver (bound to the same model memory as your plane's receiver) to control the caller. That works perfectly.

Peter+
Old 12-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Any way on an update you can make an option to prevent it from going backwards? I have not been too successful using tilt and when it goes to a prior maneuver I can forget about it being helpful for the rest of the flight
Old 12-28-2015, 06:22 PM
pvogel

There's an update going through the app store review process that should do just that. Although I may have limited it to just the bluetooth device by mistake. I can do another update after this one gets approved.

Peter+
Old 01-04-2016, 03:33 PM
pvogel

v1.3 of the app is now live on the app store. Update at your convenience.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:45 AM
andypnz

Hi Peter

Is the BT device available? How do we order one?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 01-18-2016, 10:38 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting a " RC Caller has stopped" message. I'm using an android phone. This happens at startup.

Ken
Old 01-18-2016, 01:56 PM
Stuart Chale

Just tried the updated version with masters 2016. At some point it started saying Null for each maneuver. Had to change patterns to get back to real maneuvers. Still have issues getting it go forward vs backwards.
I have an I Phone 6. is there a specific tilt axis and settings that usually work reliably?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:12 PM
MrDaniel
My Feedback: (1)

Peter, any plans to update with IMAC 2018?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 AM
pvogel

Originally Posted by MrDaniel
Peter, any plans to update with IMAC 2018?
I can probably do that. I don't fly IMAC, so if someone sends me the maneuver descriptions that would make sense, I'm happy to update things, then the next time you open the app with a good network connection it will get the updated sequences.

Peter+
Old 02-15-2018, 02:52 AM
andydallas
My Feedback: (2)

Peter, I'm having some sort of weird problem trying to buy in the apple app store. I click to buy, sign in, and then it just give me a screen that says 'click twice to pay", but nothing happens...is it me, my phone, not sure what I'm doing wrong

andy
Old 03-14-2018, 11:08 AM
fehringer

Hello Peter,
I am trying to install the Android version on my Galaxy S7 via the deploygate link in post #120 but I am not having much luck - I get through to deploygate but the Install button doesn't seem to be active any more with a message "You have reached the maximum number of devices" - is there any chance to get this enabled again for Android please?
Many thanks,
Gerhard
Old 06-17-2018, 03:50 PM
pvogel

I've added support for Bluetooth music page turning pedals, which were my original idea when I first built RC Caller but were far too expensive at the time. They've become much more affordable and can be found on Amazon.com now.

Demonstrating new feature of RCCaller 1.3.2 for iOS, support for Bluetooth music page turner pedal accessories. The devices I show are USB-rechargeable, work about 50 hours on a single charge, and pair to the iOS device (or Android) as a keyboard where the pedals provide right/left or up/down arrow key presses. About $50-80 dollars depending on where you get them and which one you choose.

Pageflip Butterfly: ($109)
AirTurn PedPro: ($69)
Donner Bluetooth page turner: ($64, Amazon Prime Elegible)

With the availability of these, I might go about providing an Android version of RCCaller that ONLY supports these devices (no tilt or voice, etc. control as those are far too subject to Android device fragmentation), though given the cost of supporting Android, I'll probably charge more for that version.

Peter+

Last edited by pvogel; 06-17-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:14 AM
Stuart Chale

Nice update Peter.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Hamish Galloway

Hi Peter, thanks for putting the work into the new update. I’ve ordered the pageflip. I think this is a massive jump to making your RC Caller awesome. It’s exactly what I’ve been waiting for.

thanks for helping the aerobatic community.

Best Regards Hamish
Old 10-14-2020, 05:20 PM
lextek

Not sure if this app is still supported. Just purchased it for the iPhone. Keep getting error and can’t download sechedules.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:05 PM
pvogel

Default Still supported!

I’ll look
into what’s happening by the end of this weekend, hopefully sooner. I had to tweak some things on AWS and I thought I’d managed to keep things transparent to my clients but it’s possible I missed something.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:49 PM
fehringer

Hi Peter are you still planning to release an Android version with page turner integration which would be great? But if not then I'll try to get a used cheapish iphone to be able to run your app Thanks Gerhard
Old 10-22-2020, 05:49 PM
lextek

I have yet to get the app to work on my iPhone. Unable to download any schedules. No instructions. Very, disappointed. I wasted my money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.