Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

2015 Orange County Pattern Challenge

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2015 Orange County Pattern Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:58 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2015 Orange County Pattern Challenge

Hi everyone,

Well, after about a 17 year hiatus, Pattern Competition is returning to Orange County CA!!! I am really excited to announce that the Orange County Modelers Association will be hosting a pattern contest at the wonderful OCMA field near Irvine Lake in Orange County.

I'll be posting more details shortly but I am truly honored to be able to CD the first contest at this venue. You guys will love it. I'm posting a few pics of the site. It's been off limits to events like this in the past but things have changed recently and the organization is eager for the exposure.

It will be March 28-29.

The runway is polypave, which is a polymerized clay/soil mix. It is hard as concrete and has recently been re surfaced and leveled. I'm attaching a couple pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2067477   Click image for larger version

Views:	282
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	2067479   Click image for larger version

Views:	318
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	2067482  
Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 PM
shannah

I should add that field info can be found here:
www.flyocma.com
Old 02-12-2015, 10:41 AM
shannah

Here's the contest flier

[ATTACH]2072536[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2015 ocma contest.pdf (126.6 KB, 109 views)
Old 02-13-2015, 06:35 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Steve.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:17 AM
shannah

Hi everyone,

It's looking like we will have a nice turnout for the contest and the OCMA organization is really excited about hosting this event. It should be a good one.

Tim Cardin, the OCMA President, let me know that he has made arrangements for us to use the lot next to the field for overnight camping. It is a couple hundred yards from the flying site and is a nice flat parking area. It is not part of the OCMA facility and is separately controlled.

There are no hookups. NO OPEN FIRES. Gas grills only.

It will be a nominal $10 charge for overnight camping in that lot.

I'll have more updates as they come. Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Steve
Old 03-10-2015, 01:38 PM
shannah

I wanted to make sure everyone knew that we aren't going to be flying classic at this event. I received an email from someone who thought that we were also flying classic at this contest. But, we are standard AMA and FAI only.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Hemet this weekend and then just two weeks later at the OCMA contest.

See you all soon.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:40 PM
shannah

Hello everyone,

Please go to www.nsrca.us and visit the district 7 page to sign up and pre-register if you are considering coming. It really helps with the planning and we are only two weeks away. I'd like to get a preliminary number to the OCMA board so that we can plan for food etc. Please try and sign up ASAP.

Thanks
Steve
Old 03-17-2015, 09:10 PM
shannah

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who have never visited the OCMA field, here are a few tips:

Travelling from norcal/Bakersfield/Lancaster
your best bet is to take the 5 south to 210 east to 57 south. Take 57 south to 91 east. Then, you can either take 55 south or the toll road 241 south. The toll road is the quickest way. I suggest you prepay at www.thetollroads.com if you don't have a transponder.

If you are taking 55s, exit on Chapman avenue and go east. It will turn into Santiago Canyon Road.

If you are taking 241s, exit on Santiago Canyon Road. Go east.

Follow Santiago Canyon Road past the entrance to Irvine Lake. The very next left turn you can take is Blue Diamond Haul Road. You will see a yellow gate and signs for private parks. Turn left onto that road. Follow it past the fork and around the right hand bend all the way until it dead ends at the field.

Visit the www.nsrca.us district 7 page and you will see the detailed map and gps info. Pre-register while you are there. It really helps with the contest organization.

Overnight camping is allowed in the lot adjacent to the flying field. If you are coming down in an RV or pulling a trailer it is really not a big deal since it is a couple hundred yards away. But you will have to move your trailer/RV at the end of the day.

Flying will be open on Friday for practice. The gates will be left unlocked Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

As for hotels, I posted a tripdvisor.com link to hotels near the field on the nsrca.us site. Cheaper digs are located in Corona, Anaheim, Santa Ana, and Orange. Several can be found in Orange just off of Chapman Avenue which is fairly close to the field. Higher priced accomodations are in Irvine. If you stay in Lake Forest or near the Irvine Spectrum there are a lot of really good restaurant choices.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

The OCMA board is really excited to be hosting this event. I hope it is a start of many more to come.

Steve
Old 03-18-2015, 07:47 AM
shannah

A couple guys are reporting good deals via Hotwire.com. About $70 per night at the Doubletree hotel at Irvine Spectrum. The Spectrum area is great, lots of restaurant choices.

I am not sure how Hotwire works, since I have never used it, but it may be worth looking into.

Also,
Just a reminder that RV and Trailer overnight parking is available in the lot next to the field.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:02 AM
desertrider49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, bring your shade and ropes to tie them down, there are tie downs embedded in the ground. You will need to bring your generators too.

As a word of caution, we have everything from rattle snakes to eagles that you might find in a rural area.

On the toll roads, you have 48 hours after using the toll road to pay before it turns into a fine.

You can leave a trailer on site if you are not staying in it overnight. The gate will be locked and it's so dark at night you can't see your hand in front of your face so trailers left will be safe.

Last edited by desertrider49; 03-18-2015 at 08:18 AM. Reason: adding bla, bla, bla
Old 03-21-2015, 07:08 PM
shannah

Hi Guys
we had a great day at the OCMA field today. Bill Wallace came out and enjoyed the great conditions. I think he really liked the flying site.

I just wanted to let everyone know that the bbq grill will be fired up and burgers will be available for lunch along with the fixin's. $5.

We'll have EZ Ups for the judges. Bring one if you have it for pit shade. We have anchors embedded in the ground in the pits for the EZ Ups.

The weather is looking fantastic so far so it should be a great weekend.

steve
Old 03-23-2015, 06:10 AM
IH82Roll

I was just reading about the toll roads....seems you now have up to 5 days to pay, (there are no toll booths) and all payments are electronic . There is also a free phone app that can be used.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:44 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Just got home from the contest. What a great return of pattern competition to Orange County, CA! Steve did a great job, the field is beautiful and the weather was perfect! I had a great time and I want to thank everyone involved. What a great weekend!
Old 03-29-2015, 06:40 PM
3DownLow
My Feedback: (4)

Excellent job running the event to Steve H., volunteers, RCACF for hosting and most of all for the weather to finally cooperate. Had a great day relaxing and watching pattern flight. Too lazy to repost pics so here's a link to my RCG blog:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post31198538
Old 03-29-2015, 08:05 PM
shannah

Hi 3DownLow,

I think you posted to the wrong contest thread....
Old 03-29-2015, 08:14 PM
shannah

Hi Everyone,

We really had a fantastic weekend for the inaugural OCMA pattern contest. Conditions were nearly perfect!!!

I want to thank everyone for making the trip, especially to those from up north. It was great seeing some guys come back after many years away. We had Derek Emmett and Roger Arthur return to the contest scene after long hiatus.

I'll post pics later and will also provide more details, but I can't thank the OCMA organization enough for the tremendous support this weekend. They are 100% behind the NSRCA and the return of big time pattern flying to Orange County.

I want to point out that, aside from the $100 donation to the US F3A Team Fund, the proceeds will be going to Children's Hospital of Orange County OCMA won't be taking a dime from the event. I can't tell you how happy that makes me to know that we had such a fantastic flying weekend, fun with great friends, and know that we are helping children and their families. What a great outcome!!

Here are the results. Some tough competition for sure!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ocma results.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	2085098  
Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 AM
KLXMASTER14

Congrats for such a tremendous success! The OCMA field is a very nice place to fly, and it is great to see the support from the club. I'll be looking forward to the next event.
Thanks,
Robert
Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 AM
Surefire
My Feedback: (1)

Steve - Great contest! Many thanks to you and the OCMA organization who put a lot of work into this event. Great time!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:18 AM
shannah

Thanks again to everyone for coming. Especially those from up North for making the long drive!!
Old 04-01-2015, 12:17 PM
shannah

Hi Everyone,

Final scores and pics are posted up on the NSRCA site: http://nsrca.us/index.php/d7-contest-results/2015