Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

2023 FAI F3A RC Aerobatics World Championships

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2023 FAI F3A RC Aerobatics World Championships

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 06:12 PM
Freddy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Day 1 scores of the top 40 both flight lines, but still needs to be normalized against all for each set of judges and all pilots.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...68526133176550

Old 08-20-2023, 06:18 PM
Freddy

My friend Marcos Malloy Resende from Brazil must be by far the oldest competitor at 77 years "young". As you all know the skill it takes to fly F3A makes this no small feat to be competing there and be judged against the best in the world. Congrats Marcos!

Marcos Malloy Resende

Last edited by Freddy; 08-20-2023 at 06:19 PM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
wattsup (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 06:28 PM
Freddy

Are there only 3 YS entries?
CPLR, his son, and Arnaud Poyet?
Old 08-20-2023, 07:26 PM
Freddy

Are there only 3 YS entries?
CPLR, his son, and Arnaud Poyet?
Old 08-20-2023, 09:15 PM
ini

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Arnaud Poyet is flying electric, with contra.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:38 PM
checho4
My Feedback: (4)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The third YS is from China: Xujun Chang with an advantage from narutech.

Last edited by checho4; 08-21-2023 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:39 PM
checho4
My Feedback: (4)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Results after two rounds.

in case the resolution of the pic is too poor here is the Link: 2023_FAI_F3A_World_Championship_for_Aerobatic_Model_Aircraft_prelim.pdf

regards,

Sergio Velasquez
Old 08-21-2023, 04:19 AM
Freddy

That is a sad state of affairs, only 3 YS and 54 electrics! I know I will get political backlash but IMHO contras should be banned in a SKILLS contest. I have written the FAI multiple times on that yet no reply cricket sounds. I have been an aeronautical engineer for 35 years now and anyone who knows just a bit about aerodynamics and knows how airplanes fly would understand what I am talking about (P factor). And for the record I competed in 3 F3A WC. Aussie bjr_93tz I remember your posts what say you?

Last edited by Freddy; 08-21-2023 at 04:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-21-2023, 12:51 PM
BrunoCH

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freddy
That is a sad state of affairs, only 3 YS and 54 electrics! I know I will get political backlash but IMHO contras should be banned in a SKILLS contest. I have written the FAI multiple times on that yet no reply cricket sounds. I have been an aeronautical engineer for 35 years now and anyone who knows just a bit about aerodynamics and knows how airplanes fly would understand what I am talking about (P factor). And for the record I competed in 3 F3A WC. Aussie bjr_93tz I remember your posts what say you?
If Christophe ever goes electric, you have to be put on suicide watch LMAO!
Old 08-21-2023, 01:53 PM
barnowljenx

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

So, have you written to the FAI about the Debowski D3 ESC as well? Sounds like you want to hold back technology Freddy. I am an aeronautical engineer as well and I'm afraid I don't agree with you. CPLR seems to do fine with the YS. I have a Citrin with a Q80 and a D3 ESC. With this setup the Citrin is on a par with my CRS Contra/Jeti Spin 99 equipped Element. Neither is as good as my D£/TMCR combo in an Anthem. I would rate the contra as being less of an advantage than the design of the airframe. Probably why the FAI don't agree with you. Lots of others don't either.
The following 2 users liked this post by barnowljenx:
FinnSpeed (08-30-2023), wattsup (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 03:44 PM
Freddy

We will agree to disagree. Me alone against most of you. I stopped competing in 2018 anyway and only practice for my own enjoyment these days. I rest my case.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:52 PM
Freddy

That is a ridiculous and rude statement BrunoCH.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:15 PM
papaone

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello
CPLR told us he will not go to electric.
The contra is not a panacea, free to those who use it.
The three blades are fine as well and more simply as Onda's LeaderG and Carrier's Bip Leader
Claude

Last edited by papaone; 08-21-2023 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 01:13 AM
SAB

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Freddy,
I suspect you have never flown a contra equiped F3A plane. If you had you would realise the percieved advantages are in practice almost non existant. I've spoken to seveal top F3A flyers and the biggest reason for them to consider going contra is for the downline braking. However, with the use of the D3 ESC and 3 balde props the dowline breaking is almost on par with a contra. The current UK F3A champion does not consider the added complexity (and expense) of a contra to be worth it over a D3 and 3 blade.
Also, besides the added complexity and expense a contra brings additional issues, reduced yaw stability being the biggest in my opinion. I am flying a contra this year for the first time and I'm not fully convinced, I plan to do some back to back tests with two identical models (Element) one with a Contra and the other with a conventional 2 blade.

Steve
Old 08-22-2023, 01:57 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Contra is what Contra is I guess, so long as the pilot is effectively in command of ESC output PWM percentage.

As for P-factor? Now I'm messing around with heli's as well and I'm still trying to reconcile the gyroscopic's of rotorblades with the gyroscopics of a propeller. One might argue with a heli, the P-factor dominates the aerodynamics of the airframe, and with F3A aircraft the airframe aerodynamics needs to dominate the P-factor. But that's all discussions for another thread.

My main focus of today was watching some back-to-back flights of certain competitors and trying to identify where some of those competitors are consistently picking up downgrades compared to the other. I think I've identified something I should be working on and I'll pass that on to a few of the guys I fly with, but for me I'm lazy and fixing years of lazy flying habits is easier-said-than-done...
Old 08-22-2023, 04:37 AM
papaone

Hello

I totaly agree with SAB
Steph Carrier tried the contra adverrun on one plane and the three-bladed Falcon with a Plettenberg motor on the other.
After tests he equipped the second plane with a Plett and three-blade engine.
I asked him why.
The reason for the contra is to brake on the descents but as the braking is done from the front, the yaw stability is less good..

Old 08-22-2023, 04:57 AM
Freddy

Originally Posted by SAB
Freddy,
I suspect you have never flown a contra equiped F3A plane. If you had you would realise the percieved advantages are in practice almost non existant. I've spoken to seveal top F3A flyers and the biggest reason for them to consider going contra is for the downline braking. However, with the use of the D3 ESC and 3 balde props the dowline breaking is almost on par with a contra. The current UK F3A champion does not consider the added complexity (and expense) of a contra to be worth it over a D3 and 3 blade.
Also, besides the added complexity and expense a contra brings additional issues, reduced yaw stability being the biggest in my opinion. I am flying a contra this year for the first time and I'm not fully convinced, I plan to do some back to back tests with two identical models (Element) one with a Contra and the other with a conventional 2 blade.

Steve
Steve thank you for your real world feedback with technical details. You are correct I have never flow a contra, nor an electric F3A airplane for that matter. You had to be a Scott. Sean Connery was my all time favorite James Bond!
Old 08-23-2023, 06:48 AM
papaone

Hello

Results after 4 flight
Claude

FinnSpeed (08-30-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 11:07 AM
barnowljenx

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by papaone
Hello

I totaly agree with SAB
Steph Carrier tried the contra adverrun on one plane and the three-bladed Falcon with a Plettenberg motor on the other.
After tests he equipped the second plane with a Plett and three-blade engine.
I asked him why.
The reason for the contra is to brake on the descents but as the braking is done from the front, the yaw stability is less good..
Well, I'm confused. Isn't the braking done from the front with a single motor and 3 blade prop especially if a D3 ESC is fitted? I find that the braking on my Q80 equipped Citrin with a D3 ESC is virtually identical to the CRS contra with a Jeti Spin 99 in my Element.. The D3 has transformed the speed control with the Citrin. That is all braking from the front of the aircraft. Perhaps I'm not as good a pilot to notice the instability in yaw that this introduces but I cannot see why the drag from a single prop on a downline to produce the same downline speed should be any more destabilising than the drag from a contra. Is this a subjective issue or has someone actual data to support this contention? It would be really interesting to know if there are any measurements that prove this view.
Old 08-24-2023, 01:21 AM
SAB

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Peter,
The yaw instability introduced by a contra has long been discussed and in the early days was quite pronounced. Additional side area at the tail end was added to compensate and eventualy aircraft were designed with significantly more side area at the rear end, however, I've not seen a definitive technical reason for the instability. The best "hand waving" explanation I've got is that with a conventional prop you have two forces, perpendicular to the flight direction, acting on the tail end, one from the spiral airstream from the prop and the other acting on the other side of the fuz as a result of right thrust. So these 2 forces are acting on both sides of the fin/rear fuz and thefore have a stabilising effect. With contra these 2 forces have essentialy gone.
I'm sure there are other explanations, some poeple don't believe the spiral airsteam is real, some conventionaly propped F3A planes don't need right thrust etc etc

Steve
wattsup (08-24-2023)
Old 08-24-2023, 11:50 PM
papaone

Hello

Results and unknows prog for the10 finalists
Claude

The following 2 users liked this post by papaone:
FinnSpeed (08-30-2023), rcprecision (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 06:30 AM
Freddy

Thanks for posting the semi final results papaone!

Good to see CPLR still knocking on that top 3 door with YS! He too is a day older these days but still one of the best at this and the all time winning-est F3A world champion likely never to be equaled again. And congrats to his son APLR all the way up in 17th and junior world champion also with YS!
I have never seen Lassi Nurila fly he must be out of this world good. Congrats Andrew for knocking right there on that WC door he is a known entity. Wow F is already very hard imagine unknowns these guys are out of this world good.

Congrats and best of luck to all finalists hats off! I respect your skill.
FinnSpeed (08-30-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 03:33 AM
papaone

Hello

Results
Lassi World Champion and USA world champion team.
Claude

FinnSpeed (08-30-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 03:35 AM
papaone

The following 5 users liked this post by papaone:
Enrique-F3A (09-09-2023), FinnSpeed (08-30-2023), krzy4rc (08-28-2023), rcprecision (08-26-2023), wattsup (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 12:02 PM
Freddy

Congrats to all winners and on the podiums you are the best at this in this elite skill based discipline. Too bad CPLR could not squeak into the top 3 after the semis but I applaud him for his skill and talent and hanging on to YS against all political pressure. Thank you all for keeping F3A alive for most this was a very far hard to get to very expensive trip.
Thank you all for your participation in this thread I started especially papaone!
wattsup (08-26-2023)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.