Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Zurich Sunglasses?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Xrod
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zurich Sunglasses?

Have any of you guys tried these? Which type is best for all around use? I wear glasses for normal vision and need something to fit over these. The pair I have certainly don't win any style points! Any other recommendations?
Steve
Old 02-23-2005, 06:27 PM
J3FAN

Default RE: Zurich Sunglasses?

They are very VERY excellent.....
having said that I don't think they are worth $ 50
(but they are WORTH a somewhat lower price)
but I have mine for over five years.
They are rather fragile and get dirty very easy.
I can feel the difference, the glare is gone and stops being painful.
RICK
.02 worth
Old 02-24-2005, 10:18 AM
rickwallace45
My Feedback: (3)

Wow - a subject where personal preference is VERY important!

I like Zurichs, but found that they were gereally a little too dark for my tastes. They come in a number of colors / densities, and they're effective at what they do. My haze/fog glassess are the rose/silver Zurichs.

They have real lifetime warranty and will replace broken earpieces, etc.

I find that for most conditions I greatly prefer to fly with polarized lenses, and find my best flying sunglasses are an inexpensive pair of Foster Grant clipons that go right over my regular glasses.

Just my $.02
Old 02-24-2005, 12:46 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Willson Type 3 safety glasses. New old stock is still available from industrial supply shops. Same as Zurich without the logo, I think I bought 20 pair for $11.00 each. Mirror gray is the best for flying. Fit right over the prescrips with perfect clarity.

Mark
Old 02-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Xrod

Thanks guys,
I'm getting good but not that good. I suppose the lifetime warranty has some merit. Would still like to hear from others that have tried these.
Steve
Old 02-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Ric Herber
My Feedback: (62)

I've been using mine for a couple of months. I also wear glasses and they fit over them just fine. I chose the darker shade for those southern Ca. summers. They are a bit pricey but they work well, look good, and have a real lifetime warranty. I'm happy with my purchase.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:01 PM
Jeff Meyers

My wife hates them....but I wear them at the field everytime I go. They are a surefire chick repelant.....but hey....who cares out at the field....

Cutting out the glare really works.....makes my face relax...no more squinting...

Old 02-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Divesplat
My Feedback: (7)

5-6 years ago I said $50 was too much for a pair of sunglasses. Then in Alb, during a contest, wearing my Pattern Partners Zurichs(dark lenses) I flew through the sun performed the manuever and didn't miss a beat. Needless to say, I got on the phone and haven't looked back(this is not advice to routinely fly through the sun though) Also, at D6 contests if anyone is flying in the am facing east, it is usually me.

I also wear glasses and haven;t found anything better, for me!!! They do give you more of a summer racoon look though.

Worth $50, it is to me.

ed
Old 03-04-2005, 03:58 PM
rusirius

Maybe I just got a bum deal, but I just recently puchased a pair of zurichs, and I HATE them... I had looked at them online for a while, but was a little skeptical... Finally I saw them at a show I went to and decided to give them a whirl... Very cramped busy show, so basically just put them on, stared at a spot light they had set up and said I'd take them... Now I regret it... (These are the Z2 version by the way)...

First, in my opinion, they are very cheaply made. Honestly, I have asked several "non rc people" just to take a look at them and tell me what they thought they cost. The price range ran the gamut from 99 cents to the most expensive one who said probably $7.99...

Second, the optics are horrible... When you put them on, as you move your head and eyes around looking at different things there are major distortions all throughout the lenses... You can pull them about an inch away from your face and just move them around a little and it's like looking through a fishbowl with water splashing around.

Third, I've wrote a couple of e-mails to them about the problems I'm having and trying to figure out what I can do about it... Thus far I haven't had a single response to any of my communications.

I ended up ordering a pair of NYX golf glasses... (www.nyxgolf.com)... Got a great price from a discount place. They are fantastic quality, have various interchangable lenses for various lighting conditions, (original pair comes with three different lenses, and you can order tons of others from nyx for specific other applications)
Old 03-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I have Zurichs. They are my "yard work" glasses. 'Nuff said.
I have Serengeti Sienna "Drivers", photochromic, non-polarized. Coated lenses; anti reflective back of lens. SUPER filters on UVA and B, and I have "raccoon eyes" after the first spring practice session. ALso available in prescriptions. Dow Corning hardened glass, shatterproof, exceed the ANSI 'safety glass' standard. Worth looking into.

THEN I find - at Wally World - in the Sporting goods section..... Remington "shooters", in a package with FOUR different color lenses, optically as near-perfect as one could want, a rigid case, strap, and they are "wrap around", so there's good protection on the sides and bottom edges. $8.00. They also stop UVA and B.

Lots of options out there; amazing, really.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:04 AM
kepople

I like my Zurichs. I will be buying a lighter tinted set next time I see the guy for flying on overcast days. Today mine were too dark, but I still use them becasue my eyes are just too sesitive to glare.

Kirby
Old 03-06-2005, 09:45 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

ORIGINAL: kepople

I like my Zurichs. I will be buying a lighter tinted set next time I see the guy for flying on overcast days. Today mine were too dark, but I still use them becasue my eyes are just too sesitive to glare.

Kirby
Kirby,

I used the red rose tinted lense with silver reflective coating during last summer when it was particularly bright. Generally, they were still too dark fro me at times. I usually relied on my prescription Serengetis or my photo grey prescription glasses for different situations. At the WRAM show this past weekend I approached the Zurich people about a lighter tint lense. Low and behold they whipped out the red rose tinted glasses but without the silver coating. They were definitely lighter. To say the least I bought them. The price was $38.00 with sales tax. You may want to contact them about these. The jury is still out on these until the sun gets higher and brighter in the sky. So far, I've worn them in driving situations a few times and had them on for one flight on a very small electric and there is still snow on the ground.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:15 PM
kepople

I will run into them at SEFF I am sure and will try them. I wear glasses so my only other choices are clipons or prescrition.

Kirby
Old 03-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Snake Oil. Sold at SEFF by snake pit vendor. These are just tinted plastic. As Mark says above, they're simply industrial safety glasses marketed aggressively. If you LIKE them, go to a sunglasses store and try wrap-around optical grade sun GLASSES and you'll be amazed at how much more you'll be able to see.

-Ben
Old 03-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Xrod

Thanks for the input guys. Seems like people either love them or hate them. I must have something that will fit over my prescription glasses. I am presently using tinted safety glasses. Can anyone suggest other brands that would work well for my needs?
Thanks, Steve
Old 03-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Take your favorite sunglasses to your eyeglass store and have them make prescription sunglasses for you. Get them polarized with anti-glare coatings on both the inside and outside. Costs more, but you will see things you would otherwise miss.

-Ben
Old 03-08-2005, 06:47 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

There is really no one optimal solution for flying. I use an assortment: prescription Serengetis, photo grey prescription, Zurichs, and Fitovers. It all depends on which direction your facing in relationship to the sun, time of year, cloud cover, etc. By the way I also have a pair of anti-glare coated polarized prescription glasses and flat out hate them when I'm facing a Northward direction especially when it is a very blue sky.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:53 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Man, JOE, you are RIGHT on with that post. I have not less than three sets, different lenses, tints, colors.... like you said...conditions drive the choice!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:46 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

I have been wearing Bolle sunglasses for quite awhile and they are excellent but not
cheap and eventually get scratched or broken so I wanted to try the Zurichs. Man am I
disappointed. I purchased the new Z2 style and it was a waste of money. The optics are
horrible , very distorted and the quality is very cheap. The earpiece hinges are right in
your periphreal vision and very distracting while flying. They do not wrap around enough
so when you look to the side the hinge point is right in your line of sight. The safety part
is OK so I'll probably use them to mow the grass. Going back to the Bolles.

tommy s
Old 03-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Walfam
My Feedback: (1)

I just purchased the red version zuricks and I have to tell you they are great. Especially in high sun areas, they make all the difference in the world. One of those, didnt know how I got by without them......... Pricy yes, but worth it.

Like anything, you take care of it, and it will last.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:18 PM
tommy s

Walfam,
Since you like them so much let me make you a deal on a new pair of
Z2 Zurichs. Worn one time.

tommy s
Old 03-15-2005, 11:00 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

I have 4 different types:

Zurich
spring-loaded Fitovers that cover my regular glasses - polarized
Prescription Bolle's - polarized
NYX set purchase from Piedmont Models, with prescription inserts. polarized 3 colors - very dark mirrored, deep brown, bright pink

The Zurich are best for me at keeping wind out of the side of my eyes, which would otherwise tear in cold or windy weather. I don't like the feel of them over my prescription glasses and they feel weird for me this way. I keep them in my tote for emergency or for my kids to borrow if they've forgotten theirs.

The fitovers are really best for in-car driving and don't protect the perimeter of my eyes very well.

Bolle's - good all around for driving and for flying in a pinch

NYX - IMHO - best of the bunch for flying, but not quite as much wind protection from the side as the Zurich because they don't wrap around the sides as far. Of course they don't look absolutely hideous like Zurich's either. They are much more comfortable, have better optics, feature interchangeable lens for direct sun, normal sun, and cloudy sky. They are also not cheap, since they are around $79 plus the prescription insert.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:30 AM
JC

Gents,

I really think many of us R/C pilots are too concerned how we "look" at the flying field if we wear a pair of Zurich sunglasses. We should approach the wearing of these dorky looking glasses as a safety issue, not a fashion issue, just as a welder isn't making a fasion statement when he wears his welding helmut.

JC
Old 03-17-2005, 01:29 PM
tommy s

You also need to be able to see good with them on and mine distort very badly !!

tommy s