Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pattern start

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 10:12 AM
flyintexan
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Pattern start

With high throw rates the widebody is wild.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:51 PM
patterndreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd expect no less from a pattern plane. anymore thoughts comments complaints or otherwise.

patterndreamer
Old 03-14-2005, 08:38 PM
MHester

ORIGINAL: majortom-RCU

What I know about the evil bad monkey man is strictly through his many fascinating and enjoyable postings, but I'm sure I would enjoy the heck out of a flying session with him. Thanks for stepping up for us, Mike. Xrod, I hope you can make it to Ocala. Dreamer, your day will come. Stick with it. Fly alone if you have to, you'll hook up with someone one of these days. Enjoy when you can, endure when you must.
Thanks for the kind words. For real.

-Mike (the evil bad monkey man)
Old 03-14-2005, 08:58 PM
patterndreamer

Hey Mike,

Compliments on the Tempest. What are you words of wisdom for a pattern beginner.

patterndreamer
Old 03-14-2005, 10:29 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have two guys at my club who won Nationals, so there is a lot of pattern experience. From what I've seen, you have to show a genuine and continuing interest in pattern to get taken seriously. A lot of guys will say they are interested, but they forget about it after taking the time of these guys. If you are interested and do the things a genuinely interested person would do, that says more than words to these guys. It doesn't matter that your loops aren't big and round, just practicing and moving up to a pattern plane speaks for itself.

A chip on the shoulder never helps.....
Old 03-14-2005, 10:38 PM
MHester

Hmmm....not sure I have any words of wisdom. But just a couple of thoughts.

Mainly, do it. Don't just practice and play, get out there and compete. That's where the real fun is, even if a person isn't a competetive person by nature, they'll find out fast how much fun it really is. And moreover, how much they'll learn in 2-3 days....it's amazing. Even when you're at the upper levels, one competition will push you past your normal limits. And you will get better.

For a beginner, I'd say this. As far as the airplane, you don't NEED a modern 2 meter plane, but once you fly one you'll never look back again. So I'd say get all the plane you feel comfortable getting, and learn how to set it up and trim it from day one. You never stop tweaking, because as your flying changes, your plane will have to change slightly as well.

Power is key, size is not as important. Even the sportsman pattern can get fairly power hungry in a coupel of places, and you'll find yourself needing that punch over the top occasionally. So whatever you get, make sure it has enough power.

Practice: Straight lines. I can't stress this one enough. Every manuever in pattern begins and ends with a straight line, and it's one of the most difficult things to do consistently. If you can control your line, you can control your pattern in general. Never stop practicing this. When I get to a contest, even in advanced, the first thing I do on my first flight of practice is fly straight lines back and forth. It gets me familiar with the field, the box, and sets up everything else. it's simple, boring, and immensely critical. If you can control your line, you have more than half of the competition beat from the start in just about any class. It just gets more difficult the higher you get as the complexity increases.

Know thy box. Get to where you can FEEL center, each end and the top. This comes with time.

Learn rudder and throttle control from the very beginning. Nothing is more nasty than the dreaded inverted rudder for a new guy. Even if it looks punchy, do it. It takes years to get that rudder and power down pat, so start early.

When you practice your pattern itself, envision a top and bottom line fixed in the sky. Stick that plane on those lines every time. Consistency will get you everywhere.

When you have the manuevers down and begin to try and perfect them, work on sizing. It doesn't really matter what the size is too much, but size the manuevers about the same in respect to each other.

Verticals should be dead straight up and down, and all looping segments should have a nice circular look. FLy a perfect circle. It's not easy. on the loops, watch the exact point where you pull on center, and when you come back through the bottom, fly through that exact spot. A common mistake is to make it egg shaped...pay close attention. You'll need a good bit of power and a bit of rudder correction through the top, and work on keeping your wings level.

Lastly, but most importantly, have fun. ALWAYS make sure you're enjoying yourself. It's will amaze you how quick a person can get sucked deep into the "seriousness" of pattern and forget we're flying toy planes. If you find yourself stressing and feeling yucky aboutt he whole thing, back off or you'll bake to a crisp. Pattern guys are obsessive by nature and tend to burn out hard and heavy. be aware of this going in and you can avoid it.

Dunno what else to say, really. Just jump [8D]

-Mike
Old 03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
patterndreamer

well i thought about going with the zafiro or going head first into an impact or extra 2x2. You are probably right about 2m planes and thats the stuff i like.

patterndreamer
Old 03-14-2005, 10:54 PM
patterndreamer

well i thought about going with the zafiro or going head first into an impact or extra 2x2. You are probably right about 2m planes and thats the stuff i like.

patterndreamer

sorry for double post
Old 03-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

My first attempt at trying to get some help from a world class pattern flyer was met with indifference. As I would show up when I knew he would be practicing after about 6 times he finally did show me where the peg was in the center of the box where he stood to do his patterns. I then ask if he would help me learn to fly pattern but he refused, as he allways had to get going right after his three practice flights. As there was no one else in my club that flew pattern I read all I could and spent the time to learn how to trim my plane and burnt a lot of fuel. The IMAC guys helped me the most and were a freindly fun loving group to be around. I agree the pattern guys I have encountered are a stuck up bunch of elite flyers that do not have the time of day for a newbe trying to learn the ropes. I will continue to go it alone making my way by burning fuel, and asking or giving no quarter when the time comes.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:37 PM
MHester

ORIGINAL: Taildrager

I agree the pattern guys I have encountered are a stuck up bunch of elite flyers that do not have the time of day for a newbe trying to learn the ropes. I will continue to go it alone making my way by burning fuel, and asking or giving no quarter when the time comes.
I want some names, all of you having these problems. PM or email of course, not publicly. If that's true, it's crappy of them and my curiousity is killing me. I hear this all the time, and have seen it myself from "some". So send me an email at:

[email protected]

or PM me. But I want names. Thanks.

-Mike
Old 03-16-2005, 08:01 PM
flyintexan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Stick to it Taildrager, in the end you will inevitably encounter some nicer folks in pattern.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:10 PM
patterndreamer

Well, I found someone at my field who flies pattern and he's offered help to me. I'm hoping to get an aa plane soon and begin. no one has said anything about my final 3. thezafiro the impact or the extra 2x2.

patterndreamer
Old 03-16-2005, 08:16 PM
s. wallace
My Feedback: (24)

Mike, you see examples often enough on the NSRCA message board.
A Sportsman or Intermediate guy asks a question-
they are just looking for a little guidance. It may seem to be a "dumb" question to some, or one that has been answered before...but you take a guy interested enough in pattern to be on the NSRCA website and sign up hoping to learn some things...and all they get is teased or smart aleck answers for the next 8 hours...
great way to build pattern's future!
Yes, there are some awesome pattern guru's who do take the time to give thoughful, helpful answers...but personally I have learned more here on RCU.

In person, I am lucky enough to be a in club very active in pattern, and very newcomer friendly. We are hosting our 50th consecutive Pattern meet this August- can any club top that? I also have met only good people at D-1 contests and strive to be as helpful when new guys ask my help.

Scott
NSRCA D-1
Old 03-16-2005, 09:17 PM
MHester

ORIGINAL: patterndreamer

Well, I found someone at my field who flies pattern and he's offered help to me. I'm hoping to get an aa plane soon and begin. no one has said anything about my final 3. thezafiro the impact or the extra 2x2.

patterndreamer
Impact if you can afford it, no question: hands down.

-Mike
Old 03-16-2005, 09:34 PM
MHester

ORIGINAL: Low Rider

Mike, you see examples often enough on the NSRCA message board.
A Sportsman or Intermediate guy asks a question-
they are just looking for a little guidance. It may seem to be a "dumb" question to some, or one that has been answered before...but you take a guy interested enough in pattern to be on the NSRCA website and sign up hoping to learn some things...and all they get is teased or smart aleck answers for the next 8 hours...
great way to build pattern's future!
Yes, there are some awesome pattern guru's who do take the time to give thoughful, helpful answers...but personally I have learned more here on RCU.

In person, I am lucky enough to be a in club very active in pattern, and very newcomer friendly. We are hosting our 50th consecutive Pattern meet this August- can any club top that? I also have met only good people at D-1 contests and strive to be as helpful when new guys ask my help.

Scott
NSRCA D-1
I know, I've gotten a snootfull of it myself. Just never really in person. Ok maybe once or twice after I had gotten in an arguement with someone's lord and savior

Pattern guys are sort of smart alecs to begin with. That part I guess I'm used to and it goes right past me, actually because I'm the worst probably. . But the uppity elitist ignoring ego crap is what grates me to no end. Pattern isn't dripping from the pages of every magazine. To find answers, you have to DIG for them. People should be more receptive and helpful, but honest too. I know the recent list thread you're talking about, I just read it. There's good info in it, but way too much BS for a new guy. If -I- asked a question, I'd expect it, because they mostly know me and I'd know it wasn't personal or whatever. But to do it to a new guy ain't the best idea. On thier defense, I didn't read any malice or meaness, those particular guys just poke fun like that. I garauntee you they never even considered it might be taken in a negative way.

There are great guys out there. Just go to a contest and get off the net You'll meet plenty of great people and then the rest don't matter. In the mean time, if you read a bit you'll discover some great people right here in this forum that have a TON of knowledge on everything from scratch building planes to the latest composite uber kit, to trimming, flying, engine tuning (all types)....I garauntee you if you ask the question here, you'll get the answer. But you may get 6 different ones. And in truth and fairness all 6 are probably "right".

But if there is an elistist attitude floating around out there, it needs to die a painful and horrible public death. Because pattern isn't about that at ALL.

Welp speaking of contests I have to get loaded up for the long drive to Ocala tomorrow. I love flying with these guys in D3, they are the coolest. From our NSRCA pres on down the line to the greenest sportsman, these guys are awesome. That's why I HATE hearing stuff like this.

Cya.
-Mike
Old 03-16-2005, 10:35 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

My Fiesta last season during a trim flight & motor break in day at the field.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95545.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	245039  
Old 03-17-2005, 12:03 AM
patterndreamer

oh this will be fun its not hard to get money for the $200 1.60 OS. It'll be fun to see if i have the funds. But if i do ill be competing with the jet guys with the tech in the plane all those high torque servos. And maybe now would be the time for the Royal Evo 12. Would that radio be good for pattern and aa or stick with my eclipse 7.

patterndreamer
Old 03-21-2005, 01:15 AM
patterndreamer

Well unfortunatley as my funds aren't exactly pouring in I'll be going with the Zafiro do any of you have any comments and thoughts on this plane like what to give it the power and what servos and radio gear