Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New Kyosho Oxalys 50 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
tclaridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Kyosho Oxalys 50 ?

Well after about 8 flights with the wheel pants on, the left one broke thru the fiberglass where the bolt goes through.

I know folks on this thread have said to replace them, but I am going to try a fix for mine that should be OK since they are not damaged beyond use.

A friend suggested to epoxy a piece of thick ply to the inside of the pant where the bolt hole is. This will reinforce the contact area with the metal LG leg. Then I will add a small #4-40 or #2-56 screw below the bolt. Out of the box, these wheel pants will not survive without this mod.

I will post pics of the mod when I get to it in a few weeks. So in the mean time, I will be flying with my pants off!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:23 PM
tclaridge

Here is a pic of the 3/32 thick ply I epoxied in place to reinforce the pants. I marked with a dot so I knew the ply was on center. I will drill it out when the expoxy dries. This should provide plenty of support so the pants won't break.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62033.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	1033576  
Old 09-15-2008, 09:59 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tclaridge

Here is a pic of the 3/32 thick ply I epoxied in place to reinforce the pants. I marked with a dot so I knew the ply was on center. I will drill it out when the expoxy dries. This should provide plenty of support so the pants won't break.
For what it's worth to you, be careful about weight build up. The pants for this model are constructed from heavy, cheap, low quality cloth. If you must use them, I suggest that you epoxy a larger piece of carbon cloth first, then epoxy a much smaller ply plate in place (thinner too). About 3 sq inches of 3K cloth cut in triangular section.

Problem with nearly any commercial pant you could buy is that they are crap for the most part....too heavy and not strong enough. Carbon pants are better but then they cost too much. The best solution is to make a mold and make your own so you can control both weight and strength. That's what I do for my models. A pant this size shouldn't weigh more than 10-11 grams RTF.... On any pattern model, one should be obsessed with weight reduction anywhere he can.

BTW, earlier in this thread, I wrote about how I constructed carbon/balsa laminated gear struts and reduced weight by 1/3 on the struts also. That's nearly 5 ozs saved which, on a model this small, is a bunch. I stopped short of recovering the model which would have saved much more weight and would provided even better flying.

Again, FWIW2U

MattK
Old 09-15-2008, 01:46 PM
hezik

I recovered mine with Oralite. Besides the advantage of not having the crappy kyosho covering on it, this saved about 110 grams of weight. Mine is now 2.2kg, where it was 2.4kg originally.

With the Saito FA82 as engine, I had to use lead on the tail to keep the CG right. Only thing I could do about that, is move the battery further backward, but that wasn't possible without cutting open the original covering.

Since I had to do something about the covering now, I've taken the time of replacing the single elevator servo with 2 smaller elevator servo's in the back of the fuse. Result is that I don't have to add any lead to get the CG correct. I'm using Hitec HS81 for this purpose, and they work fine.

If you take the time, it should be possible to get it under 2kg with a Saito FA82. Don't use wheelpants, replace the landing gear, canopy and engine cowl and recover it in Oracover lite and perform some overal tweaks on weight, ie replace the tailwheel with a slide.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:18 AM
MJ-MERLIN

is weight that inportan in a pattern ship ?
i thought that they need a bit of weight to fly smother (ie have the momentum to carry it over a loop ect !)
Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 AM
pietjeduc

Hello dear Rufter,

I see you are from Begium, so we are neigbours, because I am from Holland. Next time perhaps in Dutch?

I hope you you can put your Oxalys still in the air because the thread is more than two years old.
Just flown my Oxalys 50 for the first time with an OS 50SX. It comes out of my X-tra 40. The verticals are with a two chamber standard pipe not endless. I had a test with 30% nitro but the revs did not make a giant jump. Not flown at the moment but my 11x7 APC turnes only 11000 rpm on the ground. That is not enough for an overall wight of 2400 gr. The only resting way for me is to use a reso. I have looked at the Blue Pirple pipes and read your enthousiastic comment flying it vertical in comparisation to your F3A with OS 140. (I still have two X-tra's 2x2 with Irvine 150 and OS 160, so I know what you mean)

Lots of (perhaps to much) questions:
1.Do you have data from your revs with the pipe and used prop?
2.Is the used model for the range 40-53?
3.Do you use the 50 mm std?
4.Diameter 20mm? All from JustEngines?
5.And what length is the best?
6.How much nitro do you use?
7.Is the presure nippel and place sorted out by you?

8.Did you buy it from Just Engines ore here in Europe?

Thanks for your reaction,
Piet Boesveld from Holland
http://home.hetnet.nl/~alfaduc/
Old 12-10-2008, 03:41 AM
propnuter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally I put together my Oxalys 50.

Set up – YS 63, Hatori short pipe, Hyde mount, apc 13x6 prop.
All up weight 2.5 Kg

After reading this thread I was aware that the model would be nose heavy so I put 2 x 9650 servos in the tail. It was still nose heavy so I mount the battery and Rx in the back of the fuz. It now balances at the low end of the recommended CG (180-185mm ? ).
I fitted some CF braces to add rigidity to the built up stab. It is extremely rigid now.
I also sealed all the film edges with 2 part lacquer which will help with lifespan of the covering.

The engine is much quieter and softer running than when I had it hard mounted in the Majestic 50. The soft mounted engine with silencer is a lot more enjoyable to fly.

It’s a great model. The best 60 size I have flown. I flew the 2m Oxalys for 3years and it is very similar to fly. The 2m model is more stable in the wind and less likely to drop a wing. Other than that it’s a great practice model and It can fly all the maneuvers in P-09, F09 very well. The spins and stall turns` are harder but that’s normal for a small model.

Propnuter

Name:	Vt58018.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1087005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98669.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1087006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43385.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1087007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gz75407.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	1087008  
Old 12-10-2008, 04:57 AM
Nickolas

Looks very nice propnuter ! I used to have this model in the past with an OS 70 Ultimate, very nice combo, and as far as I remember KE performance was great!

Happy flying!
Nikos
Old 12-10-2008, 08:53 PM
lennyk
My Feedback: (12)

Lovely flying airplane, also mounted my battery behind wing and tank inside
Old 07-16-2009, 02:43 AM
haisanjafri

IT IS A PARADISE ON EARTH! Same ones which they try to create in simulators
Old 07-16-2009, 06:31 AM
haisanjafri

ORIGINAL: Nickolas

Looks very nice propnuter ! I used to have this model in the past with an OS 70 Ultimate, very nice combo, and as far as I remember KE performance was great!

Happy flying!
Nikos
Where did your model go? Actually I just started reading this whole string yesterday,,,
Old 07-16-2009, 06:34 AM
haisanjafri

Anyone flew this model with OS 55AX? If yes, how would you grade the performance Vs 4strokes?

Regards,

Haisan.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

OK so I'm a little slow and now that this model is extremely outdated I finally got mine finished..he he

It's got a YS 45 FR for power coupled to a Hatori 401 pipe with a Hatori rear exhaust header...I used DS 821 servos except for the throttle which is a JR 341 mini and 6v 2700 NiMh battery pack...I used Central Hobbies carbon fiber rods for the control linkages with NMP ball links and MK Clevises and control horns...I also used a MK bellcrank on the elevator...Bolly F3A std gear and some homemade wheel pants pretty much round out the mods I can think of...

Thanks to all the folks who posted in this thread as I found allot of useful information which helped in my construction...I also have an Osmose 70 which will have a YS 63 going in it...I feel like most of the tips I learned here (and the Osmose 70 thread) will really help with that one too...

I did the initial runs on the engine today and all went well so I decided to take her up for the first flight while I was at it...She flew well with little to no trim required...

I plan to fly again tomorrow weather permitting and see if I can explore more of the planes true traits (My thumbs were shaking a little too much today)...

I did note the plane seems to have plenty of vertical authority but not "unlimited"...I plan to try some different props once I get some time on it...It may be a little fast but not all that bad...I have allot of learning to do as this is my first attempt at a "modern" pattern ship...

It took me some extra time to build this because it was originally damaged in shipping...It's a long story but rather than deal with the folks I ordered it from I decided I would just keep it and repair the shipping damage myself...It also helped me to decide to order the Osmose kit since I would always know the Olaxys was "damaged"...I elected to use the YS 45 since I had them sitting on the shelve and then save the YS 63 for the Osmose project later on...I plan to set up the Osmose very similar to this so I'm kinda considering this one practice...he he

I gotta get a new scale cause mine died so I don't know the weight...I did have to mount the battery pretty far forward to get CG within limits...I'm pretty much sitting mid point in the CG range so I'll fly her some like that and play with it as time goes on...

Here are some pictures taken after I got home from the field...

Have Fun...

Chuck

Name:	Vt57953.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1270185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47365.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1270186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10103.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1270187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81207.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1270188  
Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check you out Chuck. old school power on a new school paint job. try a .60/.61 on it before you head out.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: dhal22

check you out Chuck. old school power on a new school paint job. try a .60/.61 on it before you head out.
Ahh...The .60/61 engines already got homes planned for them...

Thanks Dave...

Chuck
Old 11-01-2009, 01:49 PM
haisanjafri

Well finally the model is finished with OS55AX, Digital Servos, and 2 servos on elevator! Test Flight is next Sunday~

Name:	Us55227.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1306159  
Old 11-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Atlanta 60

Congrats!! Looks Great!! Hope you enjoy!!

I'm really impressed with mine...I have a dozen or so flights on her before I had to go out of town for work...I'm looking forward to getting back home to explore it some more...

I can tell the plane is more capable than I am at the moment so I feel it will be a good platform for me to learn on... [8D]

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 11-10-2009, 01:27 AM
haisanjafri

Thanks Chuck!

Shall post the test flight's video soon here~

Cheers..

Haisan.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Rhilluk

Would I be right in thinking the Oxalys/Osmoose has the same fuse shape as the flip 3d but different wing?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:41 PM
flutter caused it

Hey fellows, I just purchased a Oxalys today. I've read stories about the professionally applied covering coming off after just a few flights, even if the time was taken to go over all the seems with a warn iron. The instruction manual says to spray the seems of the covering with clear polyurethane to keep the covering from wrinkling and peeling. Does anyone have any info concerning this method. It would seem the the polyurethane would yellow or peel itself in time, not to mention that the plane would not be as shiney after spraying and add additional weight. A friend of mine purchased another Kyosho plane (the Calmato) and sure enough, after a few flights, the covering was coming off everywhere.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:45 AM
tclaridge

I have had my Oxy for two years. Over 100 flights. No cover issues. I have to take out some wrinkles with the iron every once in a while, but that has been the same with all my built-up planes.

If you paint the model with clear, you may have ironing issues when removing wrinkles.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:58 PM
hezik

100 flights in 2 years is hardly using an Oxalys. If you were to really use it, the covering would come off. Either that, or you have an electric version, a gasoline engine or you recovered your Oxaliys or applied a clearcoat.

Clearcoating the Oxalys with either a PU coat or a 2K clearcoat, will keep the covering better.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:13 AM
flutter caused it

I like the composite landing gear and pants on Atlanta's plane. did you fab them yourself?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Atlanta 60

ORIGINAL: flutter caused it

I like the composite landing gear and pants on Atlanta's plane. did you fab them yourself?
The gear are Bolly F3A Standard which I purchased...I made the wheel pants myself...

I did allot of ironing to my covering prior to assembly...I have very little time on the plane thus far (25 flights) but have had no covering issues...After some of the things I read I almost expected it to come back from the first flight stripped down to a naked carcas...he he

I elected not to spray my plane with clear because of the weight consideration and I knew I was gonna be borderline on power...The other points mentioned above ie: de-lamination of the clear and the fact you won't be able to iron the covering again in the future are both valid points too...

My plane actually seems to stay pretty clean with the bulk of the oil staying on the underside...I usually don't have a whole lot of clean up to do after a day of flying...I'm just gonna keep an eye on the covering and hope for the best...

I hope you like your plane as much as I enjoy mine so far!! It's been allot of fun and I'm learning new stuff every flight...The plane is far more capable than I am at this point and I feel I will be able to learn allot with it...

Oh BTW: Didn't I read in another post that you have an Osmose 70 as well?? I have one which I'm "suppose to be" working on but it's not ready yet...Do you have yours going?? I was just curious how you like it...I'm setting mine up hardware wise just like the Oxalys except it will have a YS .63 for power and different servos...I'm looking forward to that one too!! If I can overcome some obstacles this year I would like to have a 2m ship so I'm using these to get my feet wet...They are easy to carry around and seem to fly well (too me anyway)...Hopefully a good intro to modern pattern flying... [8D]

Have Fun...

Chuck
Old 02-05-2010, 10:53 AM
haisanjafri

Love it! Every flight... Perfect model for practice and everyday fun flying.. Only draw back is the poor covering~

Name:	Vs55915.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1372239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92451.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1372240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70669.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1372241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz74769.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1372242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oz30348.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1372243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fw26989.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1372244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Km99373.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1372245  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.