Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Genesis ARF build, glow version

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 05:38 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Genesis ARF build, glow version

My glow version Genesis is on the way so I have a couple (hundred) questions..

Im not a builder and I have never owned a brand new pattern plane, Ive had several nice used planes,, so this is my 1st experience of gathering "stuff" for a pattern plane assembly. Maybe MAYBE next time I will build a kit, but hopefully there wont be a next time any time soon.[8D]

Old 10-30-2005, 08:27 PM
Bill_Higgins
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Genesis ARF build and some questions.

Hey Mike,

Seems like you and I are pretty much in the same boat and will probably get our birds around the same time (Mine should be here around Tuesday I believe) I've had allot of the same questions as you, and have picked up allot of pictures (mainly related to the electric version) from Todd, and allot of motor mounting Pics from Tony F, Jason, and Chip. I was considering a build thread as well, so it will be interesting to watch our threads side by side. Hope to get to fly a contest with you guy's next season.

Bill
Old 10-31-2005, 03:41 AM
MikeEast

Should be interesting Bill since Im a pretty inexperienced bulder. Mine will be here Tuesday or Wednesday. You have no idea how badly I wanted to order the very plane that is being delivered to you right now, I just couldnt pull the trigger on that big of an investment right now.. I think the glow version is just the best fit for me at this time.

Fortunately I have Todd to call on for help with the Genesis, especially since its all his fault that I fell in love with the darn thing in the 1st place.
Also Earl Haury has provided me with some excellent insight for the YS160DZ setup and operation.

I think I have almost everything I need to finish the job, now I just need to find out if I need the things I originally asked about.

Im working 7-12's nights on a turnaround for about the next 3 months so when Im not sleeping or working, in those 2-3 hours in the afternoon after I wake up.... I will be building..
Old 10-31-2005, 11:38 AM
mwick

I think both you guys are in trouble and need to send those planes to Houston for training

Mike Wickizer
Old 10-31-2005, 11:54 AM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Just wanted to remind you both that there is not going to be much building involved. The plane is 99.99999% complete. All you have to do is add your radio eqipment, engine, mount, and control horns and go fly. Of course it does not come with instructions, so feel free to post as many questions as you want and I am sure someone who has one can help you out. The plane was a joy to finish.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:25 PM
MikeEast

Thanks RGreen,

I knew it was mostly assembled, my question is what parts do NOT come with it that will be required for assembly as I mentioned above. You mentioned adding 'your" control horns... So it does not come with control horns?

Tailwheel? Wheels and Axles? Edit: NO, you have to order all of this and then some.... keep reading...

Im just trying to get some info so I can start ordering parts and to pass the time until it gets here.

Hi Mike, did Bret end up ordering one?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:58 PM
mwick

Mike:

We are trying to get a basic kit, not the ARF like you guys got. We will be doing lots of looking and measuring on Jim's (Todd's old glow version). By the way I think you will love the 160dz with a 15x11 four blade. Very quiet, very smooth power/torque band; lots of mid range power. No more difficult to operate than a 140 Sport.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:43 PM
MikeEast

Well, I got some bad news today regarding the 15x11 4 blade APC prop. Central didnt have them so I placed my order with APC, they responded via email and told me that they are out of stock and are discontinuing the prop. I called them and they confirmed. After a couple of phone call I decided to go with the 15.5x12 and see how it works. Basis my own experience with props, I suspect this will be a "torquier" setup and will require a lot better throttle management but will still probably be a quiter and smoother setup than a big 2 blade prop..

Perhaps if APC hears from enough folks wanting the 15x11 4B prop they will resume production.

Mike, good luck with the kit version I cant wait to see Brett fly such a performer. He is going to be impossible.
Im also REALLY glad to know Jim got himself a really nice plane, hes such a nice guy,, he deserves it. If we could just get Martin setup with his dream plane we would all be set up.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:56 PM
VPS

Hello,

already asked in an other thread, but what's the diameter of the Genesis spinner?

Regards,
Old 10-31-2005, 05:13 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

The CF spinner that comes with the kit is a 81mm
I had a Tru-Turn 3 1/4 FAI on my glow Genesis
Old 10-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Bill_Higgins

Mike,

I'm going to start a thread over in the Electric Pattern Forum on my build since some of my stuff started arriving today. According to FedEX the bird should be here Tomorrow.

Bill

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3508665/tm.htm]E-Genesis Build Thread[/link]
Old 10-31-2005, 11:46 PM
MikeEast

Sounds good Bill,
Good luck with your plane.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:50 PM
MikeEast

Well, Fedex says its in Hutchins, Texas! Only 2 days away!
Old 11-01-2005, 01:52 PM
MikeEast

Its here.... To my PLEASANT surprise I woke up to BIG boxes in my living room today!! It showed up a day earlier than expected...

I can now say for the record that the only hardware included in the box is the aluminum wing and stab tubes, landing gear and wing adjusters. Nothing else..

There is only 1 set of wing adjusters though, Im not sure what thats about since there are exactly no instructions included.

Also there was a piece of tape stuck to the top of the rudder, but it came right off with no paint damage..

This thing is really beautiful...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65052.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	347090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35553.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	347091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22606.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	347092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20145.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	347093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56031.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	347094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic85202.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	347095  
Old 11-01-2005, 01:55 PM
MikeEast

1st flaw.... Wheel pant has a bad run in it... Everything else so far looks to be almost perfect. There is 1 loose piece on covering on the training edge of the rudder,,,, no problemo...

I also noticed that all of the shreaded newspaper is in spanish and from South America,, sortof neat...

Name:	Fd91547.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	347096  
Old 11-01-2005, 05:00 PM
MikeEast

OK.
I answered a few of my own questions while looking things over. You only need the 1 set of wing adjusters, thats what they send you,, imagine that[8D]. There is a slot in front of the wing tube on the the fuselage and you use a 1/4-20 nylon retaining bolt (provided) to hold the wing on, it just rides in the slot according to where you set the incidence .

The plane uses 2 aluminum stab tubes. The main tube and a 3/16 tube that retains and allows you to set the incidence of the stab with a nifty little setscrew device that is mouted inside. I tried to get a pic, you can just see it on the end view pic of the stab.

There is a dowel on top of each stab that allows you to drill through the stab and into the main stab tube to keep the stab on. You can see the ring under the covering on the stab where this hardpoint is located on top. I was told that some guys are using the incidence setscrews to hold the stab on but you can go ahead and drill and then counter drill the hardpoint so that a 2-56 setcrew is countersunk into the surface and through the tube on each stab. Then you just cover it with a piece of trim tape or whatever.

Control Horns, the plane is made for the Chip Hyde control horns, it looks to me at this point like the entire inside corner nearest the hinge point is a piece of triangular plywood on the elevators. It is my understand that you can screw right into this piece of plywood. These plywood mounting points are supposed to be there under the covering on the rudder, ailerons and elevators specifically made for the CH horns. I will post pics when I get to that point.

I can also see that there are blank marks located on the fuse where the pull pull exits the fuse so that should be pretty easy once i get to it. I dont see anything for the elevator pushrod exits, but Todd has those measurement and I will get them from him when the time comes.

Here are a couple of pics of the stab tubes and the stab adjuster, the top of the stab where the hardpoint is for the retaining screw and if you look hard you can see the tiny hole in the top of the stab where you can access the top incidence adjustment setscrew..

On the end view of the stab you have to look really hard but you can see the little stab adjuster in there there. Like I said, there are setscrews that you can adjust from outside on the top and the bottom of the stab to set the incidence.

Name:	Lj22205.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	347190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32493.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	347191   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78903.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	347192  
Old 11-01-2005, 05:44 PM
Aresti-RCU

Fist of all, sorry for hijacking your thread. Here is my Genesis build so far. I started from the basic kit mostly because I didn't have a very good experience with my last "pro"-built bird (although I think the problem was the "pro" and not the bird...) Mi wife advised me to get the ARF version next time after a full afternoon spent sanding the flying surfaces' leading edges and tip blocks. I guess it is kind of late now...

Name:	Jh16062.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	347218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20264.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	347219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40330.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	347220  
Old 11-01-2005, 05:50 PM
MikeEast

No problem,,, you are more than welcome to post your progess here... Its all good and maybe we can help each other out...

By the way... I looked all the parts over really closely and I cannot see anything that isnt arrow straight. I looked for a twist in the fuse, warped wings, a bad glue joint. I couldnt find anything. We will see as I progress. My engine wont be here for a few more weeks so I am only going to be able to go up to a certain point then I will have to wait. I think going on Todds advice from his experience I can do most everything except the engine mount.

Oh, one other thing. The Hyde mount I got is already pre drilled and tapped for the 160 and includes the engine mount screws. I hope the engine has slotted mount holes,,, or Merle got it perfect. Im betting they are or he did...
Old 11-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Bill_Higgins

Mine is sitting at the house waiting on me to get off work.[]

Old 11-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Genesis ARF build, its here.

Mike, are there servo cutouts in the stab and wing? From prior threads it seems that some kits had elevator servos set up in the stabs and others did not.
How about the fit of the wing and stab to the fuse? Any filling needed?
Thanks,
Stuart
Old 11-01-2005, 08:19 PM
MikeEast

Mine did not come with servo cutouts in the stabs. However, I already knew that I was going to go with 1-9151 driving the elevators so it didnt bother me. Plus I had checked out Todd and Bryan Heberts setups and I knew both had used and liked the servo(s) under the canopy. I thinkTodds electric has the 2 9650's mounted under the rudder servo driving the elevators individually. I checked and the weight/torque tradeoff of the 9650's in the tail (or wherever) vs. 1 9151 servo under the canopy and it was an exact tradeoff on paper.

There are servo cutouts in the wing.

Billy, it will be worth the wait when you get home, Im still smiling 7 hours later.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Bill_Higgins

Mike,

Which hinges are you going with ???

Bill
Old 11-02-2005, 10:58 AM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

Sig e-z hinges and thin CA
Old 11-02-2005, 03:05 PM
MikeEast

Thanks Todd,, I had hinges on my mind this morning too since its the 1st logical part of the assembly for me..... I didnt figure robarts would be light enough. I have some Radio South CA hinges already, that should work well. Just dont let the CA get to the foam or it will destroy it. Odorless cA would be safe but I dont like the thought of using odorless CA for hinges, I dont really trust it for something this important.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:23 PM
MikeEast

Elevators Hinged with Radio South Giant Scale CA Hinges...

Name:	Pn35833.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	347737  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.