Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Glow V Electric:The Verdict

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 10:24 PM
applejuice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow V Electric:The Verdict

Hi,

First of all just found this forum and its fantastic,congrats to everyone,very informative:

My question is, I am moving upto top level aerobatics in our country this coming season, and I am at a crossroads, I would like a fair synopsis from the people that have already converted from glow to electric, in other words, the advantages/disadvantages of both, I realise the conversion is expensive and I think if I decided to go electric I would be hesitant to return to glow quickly because of the money I would have already invested.I feel by now there must be a lot of people that made the plunge and should have enough experience acquired to be in a position to give a comprehensive pro/con report, or I would even like to hear from people who have made the decision not to convert to electric and why? its an expensive switch and I am on a budget, so I would appreciate any helpful responses.

Thank You,

Ralf Dawson.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:03 PM
SCJ

Default RE: Glow V Electric:The Verdict

You said you are on a budget. I think the decision has already been made but you don't realize it.

My impression is that the majority of the guys who are flying electric pattern models, and are seriously competing in at the top levels, are sponsored or have extra money to spend on the hobby.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:48 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think that is necessarily true about guys flying electric. I'm not sponsored nor do I have a lot of extra cash to spend on the hobby. Pattern at the upper levels is expensive no matter which way you cut it. It takes a lot of practice (lots of fuel) to move up the ladder, and that can be more expensive than electric depending on what you run. A YS DZ has tremendous power, but is very thirsty and expensive to feed.

An electric set up is expensive. The advantages though are tremendous. Because of the almost total lack of vibration, the servos and airframes in general suffer minimal wear. I have a plane that I flew last year that has about 180 flights on it. The servos are still in great shape and the airframe is as good as new (well except for some hangar rash). A big four stroke would have definitely beat the plane up enough to require maintenance.

The biggest advantage of all is the reliability. The system is going to run the same every time I take it out. Battery issues are a consideration, they do wear out but that is something you must take into account. I take pretty good notes on my battery issue and I know each pack's little idiosyncrasies. But each time I come to a contest I know it is going to run the same time, every time. No more dinking with the needle valves and chasing problems with fuel systems. Since making the switch, I have more actual practice because of the reliability.

There are a few options out there for electic set ups now. They all have advantages and disadvatages and differences in price. As time goes by, more options will surface and new and better products will be introduced. I think the future is definitely in electrics, but we aren't quite there yet. It's coming quickly, but there are a few obstacles right now. The biggest is not necessarily the price, it has more to do with the learning curve required to operate these motors safely. The systems are safe, but you absolutely have to be careful with the batteries! Misuse or overcharging can and has resulted in fires.

Go with whatever you are comfortable with. Cost is an issue, but electrics are not the most expensive option out there, especially if you are just getting into it (a new YS set up costs as much). Flying electric is not going to make you the better pilot... the best pilot still wins, not the equipment. If there was ever any doubt, the last Worlds showed us that again.

Whichever way you go, there are plenty of people willing to help with advice and the like on here. Let us know what you do and most of all, show pictures!!!

Tom

Old 01-08-2006, 07:30 PM
matt13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Ralf,
if you have a read of ether the last issue or maybe the second last issue of the APA newsletter you will find a short article by Rob Tuncks. He spent the better part of a year and a half with electric pattern here in Aus and a large amount of dollars, he found that they were fantastic to fly but he had so many problems from gearboxes to controllers to batteries that he has for now now, gone back to glow. They need everything to be just right to be successful, and if it is not, it costs big dollars before you even know what has happened. My opinion for what it is worth is go glow! That way you will have a better chance of a reliable package and you will be able to have two top models for the price of starting with just one electric setup. The main thing is your time, the more time you can spend practicing is what will help you with this next step, a good glow setup will be quicker to achieve and more reliable day to day, you will just have to learn how to use the needle valve as conditions change. Matt
Old 01-08-2006, 08:53 PM
applejuice

Hi guys,

Thanks you very much for your resposes guys, great.

I am already using a 140DZ and I am very familiar with running them, i also fly a lot of park-flyer stuff which has me very familiar with LiPos Speed Controllers Motors etc.
I also saw that article in the APA and this swayed me a little again.
So with other benefits ( vibration reliability etc) put aside.
Could somebody familiar with both setups in pattern give their oppinion on what the flying differences ( wind conditions-braking-torque etc etc ) between the two.

Thanking You All

R.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:12 PM
BJM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I fly electric and would not go back to glow. However, the problem I have is not being able to practice as much. I practice with other pattern pilots and have to wait my turn. The other pilots can fly 2 and 3 rounds per flight - I get only one.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:53 PM
applejuice

Thanks to youguys who responded, I am disappoionted that not a lot of people chimed in with how they feel since they changed, am I asking this question too early? or is it that maybe there is not as many people flying electric as I first thought?

Thanks R
Old 01-12-2006, 07:39 PM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

Ralf I'm building one on a budget, the same setup as Frak, Andrew, and Jason, with one exception less battery packs and an extra charger. From what I'm seen is do the exact setup don't try different prop, or anything else, all I have talked to love them.
Steve Maxwell
Old 01-12-2006, 09:53 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got back into pattern about two years ago. Flew a YS powered Eclipse. Good airplane, good motor... but as will all four bangers a lot of vibration knocking the plane around. I was practicing for a contest the week before and I blew two couplers and pretty much grounded that airplane. Then i took my back up, a 91 powered Widebody and couldn't get that thing to run to save my life... Couldn't go to the contest. That's when I decided to go to electric. I had one in the works but I sped it up to get something more reliable.

I'm running an AXI right now, and have flown Plettenbergs in the past with good success. Somebody asked me at the last contest if I would go back to glow... the answer is no, I wouldn't. Not that they are inferior in any way, but electric is less hassle (for me), cleaner, and much easier on the rest of the equipment. It has really made pattern fun for me. I know one guy that taught me to fly pattern years ago got back into it recently after about a 5 year hiatus just because of electrics. I've heard of others doing and saying the same thing.