Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

BRIO Construction by the numbers

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 05:47 AM
Scott Smith
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BRIO Construction by the numbers

I believe the white gel coat is nothing more than primer and yes, sand the snot out of it! You can get a real nice surface (all the waves disappeared) and remove quite a bit of weight. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was measurable and significant.

Additional primer may then be required for the seams and any defects.

Edit - Just to be clear, I'm not talking about a light scuff. Start with dulled 150 (albeit briefly!) with the intent of removing the primer. If the surface is opaque white, then there is too much material and sand some more.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:52 AM
yepe

Don, just flew my 2nd Brio. The plane flew very nice same behavior as my old one. I was wondering what percentage should I input in my Snap condtion. My AFR values for snap condition are increase Aileron by 80% same Elevator and decrease rudder by 20%. I'm not happy the way the plane snaps. Any suggestions?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:30 PM
crash test dummys

Have any of you had trouble with keeping your canopy on the Brio? How do you fix it so it will stay on? I was thinking that the cowl takes in so much air with the big holes that it is creating more air pressure than the exit hole can expell.

CTD
Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Jimbo952

My canopy is attached by a single 4-40 screw in the front w/ plywood reinforcement in the canopy. The screw has come out a few times in the past but I put lock-tite on the screw periodically and since hasnt been a problem.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:14 PM
kregan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan on using a 4/40 screw or a latch pin setup...

My plane arrived with the wood dowels cut off the canopy
so I decided to add new ones facing the front of the plane
rather then the rear. My screw or pin will be at the rear
of my canopy.

I am not shure how you are getting air into the canopy area?
On my plane the engine/pipe area is partitioned off with the
nomex floor.

ORIGINAL: crash test dummys

Have any of you had trouble with keeping your canopy on the Brio? How do you fix it so it will stay on? I was thinking that the cowl takes in so much air with the big holes that it is creating more air pressure than the exit hole can expell.

CTD
Old 09-23-2006, 12:16 AM
pmr

I use a latch for the canopy but for insurance I still put scotch tape just in case everytime I fly. The wood dowels are known to get broken.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:35 PM
kregan

Rudder pictures moved to:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4839879/tm.htm
Old 10-01-2006, 08:41 PM
kregan

Moved
Old 11-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I put my 2005 BRIO Deluxe on a diet and did some testing. I took out two triangles for the landing gear, removed two 6x32 screws and lock nuts, changed the throttle servo from a 4721 to a JR368. Next step is to exchange the rudder for a built up version. This is all done to lower the weight.

Add magnets for better fuel economy, and thus a 20% smaller fuel tank. Read more on my forum if you want to hear about that one....

I also put in a few degrees of anhedral in the stab. About 1/4 inch a the tips. I flew it a couple times but its been very windy to make any preliminary assessments. This was an easy process, given the stab tube is aluminum.

Here are my setups. I am going to work on my snap control setups this winter to optimize. 100% on ailerons and elevator, 86 percent on rudder. There is 18, 22, and 86 percent expo on each respective surface. This has a big impact on snap entry and exit display.

The plane flew very nice same behavior as my old one. I was wondering what percentage should I input in my Snap condtion. My AFR values for snap condition are increase Aileron by 80% same Elevator and decrease rudder by 20%. I'm not happy the way the plane snaps. Any suggestions?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 AM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would like to find out if anyone has read or accurately measured the degrees of right thrust and down thrust offset for the Brio. Haven't been able to find it anywhere. For now , just going with the fuse / spinner backplate relationship, but I'd still like to know the actual degreess. Thanks !
Old 01-27-2007, 03:50 PM
stek79

Interesting Don!

May I ask you the amount of throws in degrees? It seems you fly with low expos, at least compared to my standards!

Any result regarding anhedran stab??? Also, can I ask you what motivated the diet on the BRIO?

Thanks a lot.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Don Szczur

I think everything is 11 or 12 degrees on high rate, but I think I bumped up my ailerons to about 13 or 14 degrees and set up a snap rate in addition to a spin rate. I really admired the snaps that Wolfgang Matt did in Romilly a couple of years ago, and am setting up my plane to do the same. I'm like 75 percent on low rate elevator, probably about 85 on snap rate for elevator and 100 percent for spins. The extra ailerons put me at about 70 percent on low, and like 100 percent on snaps and spins. I keep remembering that I can stay on low rate for all rolling maneuvers to include the one roll circles and rolling loops due to the rudder authority on the Brio.

I took several ounces off the yellow Brio to get something that was a little closer to my blue Brio's. They are still about 9 to 11 ounces lighter. It makes a big difference in the amount of rudder and elevator needed during rolls in particular, and a plane which is half to 3/4 pound heavier snaps much differently as well. The yellow plane is the winter trainer and backup.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:34 AM
stek79

Great info Don, thanks!

Sorry, I didn't told that I was interested in low rates throws: how much deg approx. do you have on ail and elev?

On my plane, just as experiment, these days I'm continuing to reduce ail throws: I find that my stops are precise with less throws. Now I'm about 6 deg...

Thanks for the readiness!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Don Szczur

Thanks for the question- I'm using 8 degrees up and down on low rate, 11 degrees on snap rate, and about 14 degrees on spin rate elevator. I"ve come full circleover the last 5 years- low rates as much as possible with dual rates, to one rate (high rates and lots of expo), now I'm back to low rates normal flying as much as possible with high rates for snap (aileron) and much more for spin. Chip told Joseph about bouncing the stick. Going too far past center at the NATS then moving the aileron back to correct. They take two points off for that. Joseph also taught me about pushing sooner on the start of the P09 Cuban 8 in a strong downwind, and always for that matter... and of course he pointed out my snap on the 45 was early. And I did not believe him until Chris Moon confirmed this as Joe walked away. Eat crow, or at least animal crackers... I'll just hand the Tx over to this 9 yr old, but he wants Chip's Passport, or at least an Angel .50 if he does not get to fly the Brio again this year.

Regards,
Don
Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 PM
mwick

Don:

That's the way it starts...get ready for a helluva ride

Mike Wickizer
Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Don Szczur

Thanks- he is now practicing the F3A-P (finals seq) on the sim to get ready for our indoor fly in this weekend. Did not seem to have much trouble with the one roll loop, but its different for the real thing, indoors with a hard top ceiling...

Prior to the NATS he only had about 4 or 5 flights on the Brio if my memory serves. I was skiddish but let him fly it on the condition he would land it smoothly. That he did, at least til I started calling for him. Now I see why you don't call for Brett. It was enough pressure on me just glancing over my shoulder to watch bits of his first intermediate flight.... while judging next to Jason at site 3 Masters the first day at the NATS. When I built this plane three years ago, would never have imagined I'd be watching it at the NATS, being flown by my son. Just 2 years ago he was playing matchbox cars in the pits with Sean's son.

Regards,
Don