Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Tojeiro 50 Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 11:34 PM
micp
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tojeiro 50 Build Thread.

I decided to be a guinea pig and buy one of the new Tojeiro 50s by Protech. It arrived after a week or so and on first inspection it looks quite good. I will be regluing several areas as some areas such as the firewall look a little lite in the glue area. The covering is excellent. The hardware is pretty decent, wheels are tiny as are the wheel pants. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will take a few and begin construction. So far it looks pretty damn good. I plan on using a YS63 in this plane and it should move quite well.

Tom

Old 04-24-2006, 04:15 AM
kkarkine

Default RE: Tojeiro 50 Build Thread.

Hi!

In last week I had maidenflight to my Tojeiro and first 5 minutes it flies very nice..... But sudenly after that, when plane was going 45 degrees inverted down, suddenly rudder and fin was floating down.

Balsawood in the rudder fin was assembled 90 degrees wrong. REMEMBER to check direction of balsa.

Sorry of bad English !

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48064.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	450579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63890.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	450580  
Old 04-25-2006, 09:51 PM
micp
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the heads up. Mine is also wrong. Rather than dealing with the manufactuer I plan on putting in a couple of CF rods to strengthen it.

Your english is better than my ?? Finish???

Tom
Old 04-26-2006, 03:20 AM
kkarkine

OK lesson one:

1 = yksi
2 = kaksi
3 = kolme
4 = neljä
5 = viisi

I'd haven't inform to manufacturer for that, but I'm thinking of that. There is new fin now and it has fly several times.

Set up of my plane is:
- Saito 82, APC 13X6
- elevator and rudder Futaba s3152
- Ailerons Futaba s9001
- Throtle Futaba s3001
- accu 5 X Sanyo 1100 mAh NiCd

Weight is very heavy 2650 g ( tank was full )

DO NOT USE Original Spinner With YS. I broke my own spinner 2 days ago. And pieces of spinner almost hit my eye. Use aluminium or CF Spinner

Old 04-26-2006, 04:30 AM
Kema

ORIGINAL: kkarkine

I'd haven't inform to manufacturer for that, but I'm thinking of that. There is new fin now and it has fly several times.
Protech dont really listen their customers. I tried that when I had glue issues with my Summit 40. Customer service replyes were total BS and they really didnt care if their planes shatter to pieces after they have received money.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:39 PM
BRIAN95

Hey Guys,
I have a YS 45 FS and I am looking for a suitable plane for it. Would you reccomend the TOJERO 50 ARF ?
In addition to that I am flying a venus 40 with a YS 63 FZS and it's great.

Thanks
Brian
Old 08-17-2006, 02:29 PM
wagen017

hey guys, just want to know if you can give some feedback on the Tojeiro-50.

I built this plane last week (Saito FA72 with APC 12-8, Futaba R147F, 2x3152, 2x 3001, 1x S148, total weight, no fuel 2.6kg). I flew it last week. The plane looks excellent (I was very happy with the quality of the kit), but with an inverted Saito, it was difficult to get the engine to run properly. The fueltank is actually above the needle valve! So I think the best thing to do is to lower the landing gear. As it is now, the engine is running too rich, and performance is not acceptable. Normally the Saito has no problem with pulling around a 2.6 or 2.7 kg plane (I flew it on a Tracer, Ultrasport, Groove). Why would they build this plane with a tank position like that?????

Questions:
1. did anyone do a similar job as I have (lower the tank)?
2. the stabiliser and fin look quite flimsy. What is your experience? Will they hold, or is it better to install some rods between stabiliser and fin?
3. any other good ideas to ensure a few years of flying without material failures with this plane? Before this airplane, I crashed an Ultrasport 40 and a Groove, both for stupid material failures. I don't mind crashing an airplane for a flying failure, but this.....

picture 1: solutions of where to put the battery
picture 2: rebuild landing gear mounting with original holes still visible
picture 3: finalized new landing gear mounting
picture 4: new landing gear mounting
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25609.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	508750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71366.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	508751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83763.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	508752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr46045.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	508753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi62791.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	508754  
Old 08-27-2006, 03:14 PM
wagen017

Couldn't resist when driving past the model shop picking up a new Saito FA-82. Mounted it with an APC 13-6. Combined with the lower tank position all is well now. Engine started up as a dream, and after two tanks of running in it was flying time. Awesome, that's the only word describing flying this combination. Flies like a dream, to my opinion.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:45 PM
awire99

Hi!

Made kind of a hard landing with my Tojeiro 50 today when I ran out of fuel..
The landing gear mounting wood came loose and caused the gears to bend under the model. When reviewing the glue and fixing of the wood plate it looks like the Protech guyes fitted it with a few drops of some sh_itty glue.
Rebuilding it now and will also put in a lot of support.

A tip is to strengthen the landing gear mounting plate before your first flight.
Will also go over the entire model to ensure that there is enough glue in all key parts.

Anyone know of any good Tojeiro 50/90 thread around?

Run a Super Tigre G-51 (ringed) in it. Love the power. Unfortunately the motor runs kind of bad without fuel.. :-)

Take care!

/Chris
Old 10-11-2006, 04:25 PM
wagen017

Myself I found out during the mounting of the servo's that the servo tray for rudder/elevator came loose. That triggered me to make sure all the more critical fixings were strenghtened by some epoxy (firewall, servo tray, mounting plate for the wing).

I just read a thread here in the Netherlands where somebody lost his Tojeiro 50 due to loosening of the mounting plate of the wing (the piece you screw the two bolts in, which hold the wing in place). He lost his wing in flight. Tojeiro did replace the model. So you might want to check that as well before your next flight.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:03 AM
Steve N

Hi Guys

Can anyone advise me how to mount the belly pan. I assume you have to glue
it onto the wing. The instructions say 'glue the belly pan on the retainers
using epoxy'

What retainers? There seems to be no information as to what this might mean.

It looks to be a very nice plane. I have a Protech Cougar which is a delight
to fly. Mind you the Cougar didn't appear to have any glue in the joints
either. After a few flights the firewall completely detached and the plane
did a concorde impression! No sign of any glue at all in the joint! So this
one will definately get some extra glue.

Thanks

Steve
Old 10-13-2006, 06:45 AM
wagen017

I think with the kit come 6 rectangular pieces of wood. I epoxied these to the belly pan in strategic places, and then glued the bp at these blocks with epoxy to the wing. Make sure you remove the covering at these places. If you don't have these blocks, make them yourself.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:00 PM
hezik

My manual doesn't talk about retainers. It just instructs you to glue the bellypan onto the wing, removing the wing covering on the inside part of the belllypan.

Because it would be more easy to remove the if neccesary, I didn't remove the covering and just glued it to the wing using 30 minute epoxy. This worked fine for me, but is not the recommended way, since the covering may loosen over time, taking the pan with it. Best would probably be to remove strips of foil where the pan touches the fuse. I wouldn't remove the covering on the insid entirely, since their may be fuel or exhaust fumes getting in there.

My kit came with 6 wooden blocks, but those are ment as 'cowlings', blocks of wood you glue onto the firewall in order to attach the cowl using screws.

Using blocks to secure the pan will work, but adds extra weight to a plane you want to keep as light as possible, without any real reason to do so. If the Tojeiro will ever be in an incident where the bellypan might come off, trust me, it's a goner anyways. The fuse is quite weak right above the wing. At that point it mainly consists out of ~3cm of ~2mm plywood covered with balsa. If you land the plane too hard, or worse, crash it, the fuse will break in the middle.

Things you might want to reinforce are the landing gear mounting plate and the wing bolt plate.

The landing gear plate will work if all your landings are soft and smooth. If you have a less gentle touchdown (ie. cracks/bumps in the runway, or simply a hard tochdown) this plate will twist itself out of place, making the landing gear rip some of the hull.

The wing bolt plate might come off in flight (did so on my first Tojeiro, which Protech replaced) due to lack of glue between it and the fuse.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:32 PM
wagen017

Correct, the six blocks that come with the kit are ment for the cowling. I made 4 similar blocks of balsa, and used these to glue with epoxy the belly pan to the blocks, and consequently this assembly to the wing, removing the covering (only) at the places where these blocks touch the wing