Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

New CAMODEL Plane

Old 12-03-2007, 10:37 AM
martinoto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New CAMODEL Plane

Not announced yet (at least not in their web site). Is the Pass-Port, designed by Chip and Marcelo Colombo. I was at the factory last Saturday and only saw the fuse. Looks impresive, but I don't know if it is the same Chip flew at the Nats. They were extremely busy, so I couldn't get more details.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:34 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Default RE: New CAMODEL Plane

Chip unfortunately didnt have it at the NATS. Chip had a wing failure the week before. I spent several days here in Israel last week with Chip and got the entire story. Yes, he had holes in the tube, but the tube is not what failed. He really liked the way the plane flew and they have made some refinements on the production ones. He is very excited about it.

Arch
Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
rcpattern

Chip unfortunately didnt have it at the NATS. Chip had a wing failure the week before. I spent several days here in Israel last week with Chip and got the entire story. Yes, he had holes in the tube, but the tube is not what failed. He really liked the way the plane flew and they have made some refinements on the production ones. He is very excited about it.

Arch
Old 12-03-2007, 02:22 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

The Pass-Port flew great, Chip test flew it here and had 12 flights on it. Here are some pic's
of the new scheme that CA Models is going to sell.
I think that NetBox is taking orders for the Pass-Port now.
Here is the link http://www.netboxhobby.com/main.sc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54565.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	817764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59174.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	817765  
Old 12-03-2007, 03:26 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Hey Todd is the bird with the split rudder?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:44 PM
toddblose

Not sure, I think that it will be an option on the Pass-Port
Old 12-03-2007, 04:59 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: toddblose

The Pass-Port flew great, Chip test flew it here and had 12 flights on it. Here are some pic's
of the new scheme that CA Models is going to sell.
I think that NetBox is taking orders for the Pass-Port now.
Here is the link http://www.netboxhobby.com/main.sc
Todd,

From the angle the photo was taken, it looks like just a hair of anhedral in the stab. Is that true?

Appears to have the simple, functional lines of earlier designs (jekyl series). Can't tell if the wing is double tapered. Should fly super

MattK
Old 12-03-2007, 05:24 PM
toddblose

Hey Matt,
Yes it does have anhedral in the stab and the wing is double tapered
Old 12-03-2007, 08:42 PM
cameron

Is it just me, or is the trailing edge of the rudder curved?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 PM
toddblose

Is it just me, or is the trailing edge of the rudder curved?
Yes it is curved
Old 12-03-2007, 11:30 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice,..looks very much like an Osmose to me, fuse and especially the thicker airfoils and shapes. That's not to be taken as a dig at the design or the designer's,..just looks very..very similar, they all do in some respects. I have an Osmose on the way.........when will this bird be available and any idea on pricing?

Bill
Old 12-04-2007, 04:16 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like a cool airplane.. I wish I could get into these artistic schemes.. but to me they look really disjointed and just busy for busy sake. I guess I've always prefered schemes that help show off the lines instead of difuse them. Just a personal preference.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:29 AM
rcpattern

Doug,

Sean McMurtry told me last year that is the EXACT reason he was flying the newer schemes with the curves. He is flying one of Narukes plane's also, so he didn't have much choice, but he told me that the Japenese and European's have been doing this for years simply because it can add questions to the judges heads. If you don't have straight lines on the plane, it is much harder to have reference points in which to see the true attitude of the plane, so that small errors are hidden. I would hope that for all judges this would make zero difference, but at the same time, I'm smart enough to know that there is probably a judge out there that looks at things like that. Whether this is true or not, I do not know, but that was the theory I was told last year

Arch
Old 12-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Magne

If you don't have straight lines on the plane, it is much harder to have reference points in which to see the true attitude of the plane, so that small errors are hidden.
Isn't that a bit counter productive?
Surely it would also just make it more difficult for the pilot to see the errors?
What if the judge has a "better" eye than the pilot???

Magne
Old 12-04-2007, 08:50 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

I personally hate these cluttered color designs in these expensive ARF's that show very limited amount of contrast. For one thing I can't see the plane, as well. So if you can't see the plane as well , how can you as a judge give that perfect 10<g>.

I think the worst example of color choices is on the Oxai Beryll I have. The one I have has that base color of a very light blue. It took me some time to get comfortable flying the plane because it was more difficult to see. Luckily it is electric and I can fly it closer at a slower pace. My Extreme Comp Astral XX is another example. The top and bottom of the wings placement of colors is too similiar. I actually had to add white monokote trim sheet stripes to the bottom side of the wing panels to give me better visual cues of the wing position (and sometimes whether the plane is rightside up or inverted for that matter<g>). Luckily the Beryll is not like this and has a striking pink on the bottom of the wing panels to give me the visual cues I need on it. Ain't getting any younger and need all the visual cue help I can get.<g>
Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Doug,

Sean McMurtry told me last year that is the EXACT reason he was flying the newer schemes with the curves. He is flying one of Narukes plane's also, so he didn't have much choice, but he told me that the Japenese and European's have been doing this for years simply because it can add questions to the judges heads. If you don't have straight lines on the plane, it is much harder to have reference points in which to see the true attitude of the plane, so that small errors are hidden. I would hope that for all judges this would make zero difference, but at the same time, I'm smart enough to know that there is probably a judge out there that looks at things like that. Whether this is true or not, I do not know, but that was the theory I was told last year

Arch
Arch,

I have a great deal of respect for Sean's flying BUT...don't think I buy in for most flight situations. Most of the light conditions we fly in tend to mute the color schemes, and the more elaborate the greater the muting effect. Stated another way, we generally tend to fly a silhouette in most light conditions and at distance. Model attitude has quite a bit to say about that of course, (knife edge for axample is one attitude that shows up a scheme better than most others), but models tend to spend little time in highly visible attitudes.

On some fleeting occasions, when light is just right, I would agree that a model's scheme is highly visible and maybe some benefit can be had by a busy scheme. And the intangible but true, young eyes can generally see it better than old

MattK
Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 AM
rcpattern

Matt,

I didn't say I bought it, just telling you the explanation I got. I personally will keep my more traditional schemes. I think they are more visible, and just as attractive on the ground,

Arch
Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 AM
toddblose

when will this bird be available and any idea on pricing

Bill,
I am not sure, I hope Marcelo will see this thread and give some input
Old 12-04-2007, 11:17 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Todd,

The bird is very interesting and has my interest for sure. I hope Marcelo will shine some more light on the subject and post the spec. for it on the CAmodels web page. I know he is very bussy trying to get the Osmose orders out,....I hope?

Bill
Old 12-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Anthony-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Maybe my eyes are still young enough but I think the standard dark top/white/dark bottom fuse scheme is more visible and easier to fly. I noticed this first with QQ's scheme on his Brios a couple of years ago. Last ARF I bought I picked the one with the simpler scheme for this reason. I appreciate the work that is put in to these schemes but less is more. Maybe this should be its own thread.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:55 PM
martinoto

ORIGINAL: advanced2

The bird is very interesting and has my interest for sure. I hope Marcelo will shine some more light on the subject and post the spec. for it on the CAmodels web page. I know he is very bussy trying to get the Osmose orders out,....I hope?

Bill
You bet ¡¡ I was at the factory on Saturday, and saw Osmose's boxes all around, and very busy people fill in them... BTW, the finish of the Osmose is impressive, really.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Anthony,

The best I ever saw for visibility was one of Rhett Millers Compensators which was
sort of a cub yellow as the main base color with bright red and medium blue stripes
and trim. The white base we see so often these days does not show up as well as the
yellow he used back then. I personally think when the airplane gets a good distance
away from us we see contrast more than we see colors anyway.

tommy s
Old 12-04-2007, 05:05 PM
mjfrederick

Tommy, I know the scheme you're referring to, my dad had a Compensator that he imitated Rhett's color scheme on back in the early 80's... In fact I plan to try and finish my Gator Flea the same way because it was so easy to see in the air.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

I looked the Pass Port over pretty hard down in Argentina at the WC, and it was a very nice looking airplane. I wasn't too crazy about the curved trailing edge on the rudder, but other than that, it was superb looking. Unfortunately, there were none flying down there, and the only one I saw was the display model. There are many striking similarities to the Osmose, but then again, there are a lot of differences as well. Looks like a winner to me, time will tell.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Santiago1

Hello everybody!
My name is Marcelo Colombo, owner of Camodel, which is the manufacturer of the Osmose, Passport among others. Due to my lack of time I am not a regular visitor of the forum but was able to observe a growing interest in the technicalities of the construction of the model. Santiago is going to be, from now on, the link between all of you and the factory conveying the official word on matters of our mutual interest and trying to be of help solving minor issues, answering related questions, giving hints and tips, and, basically, trying that all of you could fully enjoy the pleasure of building and flying these beautiful machines.
Here are a pics of the Passport on the field.
Thank you all for your choice and support.
Marcelo Colombo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99799.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	824084  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.