Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Angel S EVO Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:20 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Angel S EVO Build Thread

Janne ... EP got better throttle response ... heheheheee
Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM
JanneL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha Okay, that's true. But I meant that YS has a good thortte response as a glow engine. Let's see how this setup works...

Janne
Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 AM
tIANci

Janne ... the YS63 should so the job ... its a nice revving little thing. Show us some videos!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:24 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

tIAMic

Did you see this from the SebArt web site: http://www.niccolo-nassi.it/angel.wmv Shows the conversion to the YS already done.

Mike

Old 06-15-2009, 07:52 PM
2Sunny

Hey Dudes!

I am awed to be in the company of so many high powered players, but given the recent discussion of power systems and my own experience with 2 current and flying Angels one of which I have competed with at the Sportsman level I feel like I have an honest offering to make to future owners.

First off this plane flies perfectly and is of the utmost interms of quality, but I defer on one minor point. It seems to me the target audience is up and coming pattern pilots who prefer e-power. The Hacker A50-12S on 5s with a 16x10 or 16x12 prop provides 1200 to 1400 watts of 8 to 9 minute power and leaves you with 5s batteries that will work in a full 2m plane when you are ready. I am certain that a 6s setup performs as well or better, but just wanted to add another consideration. I urge anyone reading this thread thru in consideration of purchasing an Angel to look at the comprehensive data I published both here and on RCG.

Joe
Old 06-16-2009, 01:01 AM
tIANci

Joe ... 5S is more than enough for pattern flying. The Angel would only be great on 6S if you want to really fly 3D a lot. Don't you find that the Angel is a little light? When you say pull a 1/2 Reversed Cuban she will just hang there at the top unless you power her to pull her over?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:46 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Joe ... 5S is more than enough for pattern flying. The Angel would only be great on 6S if you want to really fly 3D a lot. Don't you find that the Angel is a little light? When you say pull a 1/2 Reversed Cuban she will just hang there at the top unless you power her to pull her over?
I have found EP to require a slightly different flying style to GP . . particularly over the top of manoeuvres. GP models carry more momentum due to the engine still driving the prop at idle. . whereas EP motors stop driving and "windmill" (even brake if ESC is capable of the setup). This causes the plane to slow dramatically.

I only fly 60 size electrics and 2M GP Pattern planes, however I have seen a few EP 2M Pattern planes now, and they will also "fall out of the top" of looping manoeuvres if not set-up correctly . . or not flown deeper through the manoeuvre.

With the Angel, I am not running brake and just fly with throttle until I am into the start of the downline, otherwise it tends to stop. Bigger, heavier packs help too . . there is a difference inpenatration and feelbetween a 3000mAh 5S and a 4000mAh 5S pack. Personally I prefer the Angel witha bit of weight on board for Pattern . . it's less "mushy".

Cheers, JB
Old 06-16-2009, 06:41 AM
2Sunny

Hey There t and Jeff,
First off . . . here's to hoping I can make a world tour someday and come check out Kuala Lumpur and Australia!
But, let me add a little more fun info that I have found while flying my Angel . . .
Without question 6s could be used for great effect in flying an Angel in a more 3D style, but personally I would be horrified to see someone trying to 3D such a beautiful and elegant Pattern Ship. (That's a joke - of course) I'd much rather someone do what I did and buy the Sebart Katana 50e. I have an A40-10L in mine with a 16x8 APCe once again using 5s5000 batteries. It has ludicrous power and performs 3D maneuvers infinitely better than the Angel ever could. Plus it is the easiest hovering and harriering machine I have ever flown (besides the PA Addiction).
As to having to "drive" EP planes over the top in reverse cubans and loops, I have no basis from which to compare to GP because my flying career has been one of pure EP. However, the first time I visited my coach/mentor (UAL767) he pointed out to me that I wasn't "driving over the top" of the loop and needed to add more power on the way up and keep more power for longer on the way down. We also played around with the CG and found that with the first battery position shown below and a CG around 5.5 inches aft of the wing root the Angel tended to hang slightly when inverted whereas with a forward battery and a CG of 5.25 inches the Angel came down off the top more smoothly. The downside for me was that the forward CG made rolls slightly more difficult to keep axial as it required more rudder/elevator input to stabilize the nose attitude. Finally I would add that I have found 5s5000 much preferable in wind vs 5s4000. Heavier is definitely more stable and the Angel takes the added weight with no trouble.
Of course none of that is new to you 'ole pros, but I just felt like adding a little of my experience for those beginners like me that might be listening in.
Thanks again for all the great advice!
Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60615.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1219256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53957.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1219257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58729.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1219258  
Old 06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
tIANci

JB ... I get what you are saying, EP has no idle unlike GP. Again, with the larger diameter it brakes the plane really well. I fly with 5S 4,900 mAh packs. Even then I need to remember to keep the power on till she comes out of the top or fly her deeper as you call it. Does braking the prop help slow the plane? I thought the windmill effect is better, or do you set the brake to be lighter so there is a slower windmill effect?

Joe ... a slightly nose heavy plane is relatively nicer to fly for pattern. The more capable guys will take it further back than the lesser experienced flyers.

I like the look of the Sebart SU, was so tempted to get one after I flew my Angel but I still have a Fliton Extra 330 NIB and that baby flies about as well as the Angel. It was the first plane I flew that has almost no coupling in KE. I lost No. 1 about 2.5 years back.

I am a hobbyist only, not into pattern flying at all. I try to practise it but am only good against 12 year olds, even then they will give me a run for my money! If you wanna do a tour then PMme, you are most welcomed. I doubt you will reach Australia after you come to Malaysia because of the food and women ... its amazing here. Hahahaha ...

Old 06-17-2009, 04:36 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

JB ... I get what you are saying, EP has no idle unlike GP. Again, with the larger diameter it brakes the plane really well. I fly with 5S 4,900 mAh packs. Even then I need to remember to keep the power on till she comes out of the top or fly her deeper as you call it. Does braking the prop help slow the plane? I thought the windmill effect is better, or do you set the brake to be lighter so there is a slower windmill effect?

The braking is better when you have a progaramable brake (not a brake like Gliders with folding props). You can adjust the brake to provide the amount of dynamic braking preferred in downlines (where the prop is driven by the air against resistance from the motor).

I am a hobbyist only, not into pattern flying at all. I try to practise it but am only good against 12 year olds, even then they will give me a run for my money! If you wanna do a tour then PMme, you are most welcomed. I doubt you will reach Australia after you come to Malaysia because of the food and women ... its amazing here. Hahahaha ...
I know what you mean . . but we have a 10 year old here in Australia that gained his last promotion point in Expert at our recent Interstate Challenge. He is an AWESOME pilot, and he is now flying against me in F3A !! The Pattern World will here a lot more of this kid in the near future . . remember the name . . "JAMES NUGENT"

Cheers, JB

Attached are pics of James with Jason Shulman . . Flying Pattern with an OXAI Amethyst EP Biplane . . Posing with his Berryl/YS170 . . With his Berryl and Roger from OXAI.

NOW . . about those girls in Malaysia . . ???

Name:	Hf99787.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	1219742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22419.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1219743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69935.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1219744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60374.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1219745  
Old 06-17-2009, 04:53 AM
tIANci

JB ... yeah got it, being able to control the amount of brake helps. I need to get a better ESC then. In Thailand they have kids half my height and 1/4 my age flying 2x2 planes and I seen a couple fly, they are good. Dang ... we are getting old. One thing good for us is that those kids can't get the women! I met one Henry Hutchingson from Australia in Spore a few weeks ago. Nice guy ...
Old 06-17-2009, 05:08 AM
BaldEagel

Ian

I think its only the Schultz ESC that has proportional braking onpart closedthrottle, its a dedicated F3A Esc.

Mike
Old 06-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

JB ... yeah got it, being able to control the amount of brake helps. I need to get a better ESC then. In Thailand they have kids half my height and 1/4 my age flying 2x2 planes and I seen a couple fly, they are good. Dang ... we are getting old. One thing good for us is that those kids can't get the women! I met one Henry Hutchingson from Australia in Spore a few weeks ago. Nice guy ...
Henry and Bev are very nice peopleand very knowledgable. He has been around F3A longer than he likes to admit these days . .many times World Champs Judge . . (pic of James with Henry attached) . .

Ohh . . I see my old friend Patrick Sookdee from Thailand was there too. He is also a really nice guy. Helived here in Adelaide for a while and flew with us in competition. Me and Patrick were very close as to who would win.I am not sure how much practice he can do these days, he is busy with a Restaurant business. . I believe he finished 5th in F3A at Spore?. I think he was flying an Aries / YS160.

Cheers, JB

Name:	Pm35057.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	1219780  
Old 06-17-2009, 06:18 AM
BaldEagel

Link to the thread on the Schultz ESC: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4720280/tm.htm

MIke
Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 PM
tIANci

Mike ... thanks for the ESC link, I got an MGM that I have not used for a while, will check that out to see if its got the braking function. The Schultz is nice for sure and so will be the price.

JB ... Henry is really nice and I did meet Bev too. Henry told me a lot of stories, he's been around the F3A scene for sure. Henry told me he judged that competition in Australia where the Angel took second. Seems it used some cheap China motor, ESC and batts. Patrick is a swell guy, yes he flew the Aries. I heard he has a very good restaurant. I may wanna go to Thailand in August to see the guys there. I want to bring my team up and get to know the thai guys more. Also, we are keen to visit Rattana who owns Xtreme Comp. He says he got a Q40 plane for me to see!

Wanna come to Malaysia for a F3A Meet in 2010? I may be organising one around Feb/Mar. We had one in Jan this year with the Singaporean guys and it was fun. We flew at this polo field which is like 1.5 km of grass. Next year we will be trying to get the Thais and Indonesians to join in. Its about flying eating and talking planes ...
Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Jeff Boyd 2

Henry told me he judged that competition in Australia where the Angel took second. Seems it used some cheap China motor, ESC and batts.

Yes, I mentioned it earlier in this thread . . It flew in F3A at the South Australian Championship against full 2M planes including one of our Australian Team members who flew at CAOOCC in Taiwan. He finished a close second and won a round over the Australian Team pilot. It is a VERY capable plane . . but the pilot was VERY capabel too. It was using a Turnigy motor and ESC and Rhino LiPo's from Hobbycity.

A pic of his plane at that very competition attached . .

Wanna come to Malaysia for a F3A Meet in 2010? I may be organising one around Feb/Mar. Its about flying eating and talking planes ...
... and Women ?????

Maybe start a thread on it and build some interest . . posting nice pics of the "women" can help

Cheers, JB

Name:	Lj22329.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1220252  
Old 06-18-2009, 12:58 AM
tIANci

JB ... looks like since I have a better motor, Hyperion ... the same type of ESC and batteries then I have some hope to beat the local 2x2 flyers! I have hope!!! Hehehehehee ... Henry says that the plane was definately very capable and he gave a 10 on a particular maneuver, he said its rare that he gives a 10. As for Sheilas ... what Sheilas? Seriously, would be great if a couple of you Assie guys came over. We put on the barbie, roast a few chooks and then bring out a few cartons of coldies and it will be a beaut!

I am targeting a resort nearby to KL and it has a microlight field, the business has recently would up so we have a nice spanking field to use.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Henry says that the plane was definately very capable and he gave a 10 on a particular maneuver, he said its rare that he gives a 10.
Probably the 1/2 outside loop to mid height (before the triangle . . ). NOW you think a 1/2 loop would be easy wouldn't you ?? . . Hmmmmmmm . . I have scored 8's and 9's . . BUT never 10's.

I have NO idea how to get a 10 on that maneouvre . .

Cheers, JB
Old 06-18-2009, 07:09 AM
tIANci

JB ... ask Henry! Hehehehe ... now I need to practise harder, Last weekend was bad. I tried to just fly straight lines with a simple 1/2 Reversed Cuban turn around ... if Iwere judged I think I will owe the judges points. Sigh ...
Old 06-23-2009, 07:54 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: tIANc

JB ... ask Henry! Hehehehe ... now I need to practise harder, Last weekend was bad. I tried to just fly straight lines with a simple 1/2 Reversed Cuban turn around ... if I were judged I think I will owe the judges points. Sigh ...

Now that is funny!!! I am ROTFL!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 PM
tIANci

2Sunny ... I 'hate' pattern flying ... why can't we just fly around as and how we like and then be judged on the absurdity and so called ingenuity? I am sure I can get pretty high marks in that manner. Hehehehe ...
Old 06-24-2009, 03:55 AM
BaldEagel

2Sunny ... I 'hate' pattern flying ... why can't we just fly around as and how we like and then be judged on the absurdity and so called ingenuity? I am sure I can get pretty high marks in that manner. Hehehehe ...
I already have the handle "Mid air Mike" do you think the above would help???????????

Mike
Old 06-24-2009, 04:48 AM
tIANci

Mid Air Mike? Oh man ... are you an ACE yet? I got a pal who is an ACE. He's done 7 kills and only got damaged ONCE. We call him RAZOR. Cuts you down in an instant.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:39 AM
tIANci

I lost my Angel today. I have always snapped her hard on high rates but today a friend says I always execute positive snaps, so I should try a negative one. I guess I learn a lot about INERTIA today, am running a 5S 4,900 pack. The battery popped out and she was dragged straight to the ground. So if anyone wants to fly like a mad man, please use 3,700 mAh packs and also do ensure that the battery tray is well secured, not just the battery! I feel really sad to lose the Angel but then maybe its time to grow up to a Wind 110!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

Sorry to read about your Angel . . are you saying that the battery FLOOR pulled out ?? Did the battery actually disconnect? What caused it to actually crash ?

The WIND 110E is awesome . . I flew my friends last weekend after the competition. It is fantastic. He flies with 10S 4900 packs, so just double up your Angel pack He uses a Hyperion Z5025 (from memory) Outrunner. Amazing performance (see pic).

BUT . . don't forget the Miss Wind 50E coming soon . . put your Angel gear in that . . COOL

Cheers, JB

Name:	Tr50146.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1226137  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.