Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

CA Widebody 60 Tank Support

Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CA Widebody 60 Tank Support

I would like to ask others who have built the WB60 how they have mounted their tank. It appears that the tank is to be held in place by a nylon wire tie going through the slots in the tank support member. However the support is only about one-inch wide. Is that wide enough to support a ridged Sullivan Slant-style 14-ounce tank without the tank cracking?

Allan
Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Mike Pascale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CA Widebody 60 Tank Support

I have the same bird not sure about tank but could you tell me were the thrust line is on engine bulkhead
thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 09:20 AM
rwlewis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I built my WB60, I put the tank back over the CG by cutting throught he cockpit floor and mounting it over the wing. I painted the canopy silver (inside) to hide it. Never have understood a clear canopy on a pattern plane anyway...

I also remember being quite perturbed that the motor mount C/L was not marked on the firewall. I made a flat balsa piece representingt the drive washer, lug spacing, and prop shaft using the dimensions of the motor (YS110) and attached it to the motor mount. I stood the plane on its rudder post, placed the mount with the motor representation attached, then slid the cowl on and taped it in place where it looked correct. Then I moved the mount around until I knew the prop shaft would be in the center of the cowl opening. I removed the cowl and mark the motor mount location on the firewall.

Richard
Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I originally intended to use a YS 91 in the WB60. I couldn't figure how to soft mount the engine as the cowl was too short. The only way to do it was to add mounting flanges to the front of the firewall. So I decided to use an OS 90, hard mounted. With this engine I wanted to keep the tank forward as I didn't want to mess with an external pump. After seeing that CA in their Epsilon had a tank support that is twice as wide as the one in the WB60, I decided to make a removable tank floor.

Allan