Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

entry level pattern rig

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:56 PM
chuck993

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: entry level pattern rig

Unless you are interested in 3D flying, there isn't anything else that a pattern plane cannot do better than a regular sport plane.
not sure i agree there
Old 07-16-2009, 01:50 PM
spencer321
My Feedback: (5)

looked at the aquilla little pricey so im really starting to consider the focus sport.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I am giving the Aquila some strong consideration for my second pattern plane after the Venus. I would like a YS 140 four stroke or OS 140 two stroke for power, however the plane is designed to fly ok with an OS 120AX.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:41 PM
spencer321

what grade of servos would you recomend for the plane i was thinking [link=http://jrradios.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPS821]these[/link]
Old 07-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I have been using those on my Venus and they will work for ailerons and elevator. They work for the Rudder on the Venus but you might want a little more torque - will be good to hear others chime in on that one. I recommend a 6 volt battery.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

spencer321,

Without regard for the 'better flying' qualities of the large airplanes, do you notice the cost/expense going up exponentially with the larger size models? Engines near $500, fuel costs (min. 20% nitro) of operating them, props at $15 or more, extremely hi torque precision servo costs and the batteries to power them, transportation for the larger airframe, support equipment, etc. To some this is not a consideration. To others, it is.

This is not a knock on the larger airplanes. They do fly better (and will score better in competition if only because they are 'in fashion') to an extent. Just a comment on the cost differences.

Terry in LP
Old 07-18-2009, 07:04 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Question is what is your budget and what sort of equipment do you have left? You can try 40 sized pattern planes like:

Venus
Spot On
Excelleron

or if you want EP ... try the Hyperion or Sebart planes.
tIANci . . do you forget the ANGEL 50 is OK for Glow ??? . . it is a very solid performer, and in the right hands, it is competitive through many higher level classes.

The thread is here . . http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68..._1/key_/tm.htm

Here is a video of the Angel fitted with a YS63. It is over powered with this and would require throttle management however it is nice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BxVp4miFYc

For simpicity, either an OS46AX or OS55AX is a great motor for this plane.

Cheers, JB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67440.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1238882  
Old 07-19-2009, 11:12 PM
spencer321

if the ds-821's arnt high powered enough for the focus sport what would the perfect servo for it. and for anuthabubba i am willing to spend the money on a better and bigger airplane.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:01 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No no no no no ... Angel is not for glow, its SACRILEGIOUS! JB is a RC heretic ... BURN him at the stake with 20:20 fuel!!! Hahahahahaahaa ...
Old 07-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Jeff Boyd 2

ORIGINAL: spencer321

if the ds-821's arnt high powered enough for the focus sport what would the perfect servo for it. and for anuthabubba i am willing to spend the money on a better and bigger airplane.
I used 821's in a 2M ESM Arresti and flew it from Sportsman through Advanced and into Expert, THEN sold it to a friend who flew it for another year. I flew the P09 F3A schedule with it a while back and was surprised at how competitive it still felt.

821's would be fine in a Focus. They are a little slow but they are a surprising good servo for the money for everything but the very top level. WOW . . having said that, if I was flying the latest and the greatest of everything, Jason Shulman would still kick my butt flying a Focus WITH DS821's fitted . . and that's a fact.

Cheers, JB
Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 AM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JB has that right, it's 95% pilot and 5% airplane... There is no substitute for the pilot's contribution to the flight. We all search for that elusive 'perfect' plane, but as far as I know, no one has ever found it. We keep trying, but 'no joy' so far.

All kidding aside, any of the planes mentioned in this thread will work fine. It is up to you to learn to fly it properly. Trimming, a good coach and good equipment will help, but it is up to the pilot to make the plane go where it's supposed to go.

Woodie
Old 07-20-2009, 11:38 AM
spencer321

the only reason why i need a good plane is so i can sharpen my flying skills and learn to do my pattern to near perfection.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:48 PM
rwlewis
My Feedback: (4)

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopdisplayprod...verstock+Sales

Check out the first item on this page.....I don't know a thing about it, so this is not an endorsement, but at that price it may be worth a shot.....

Oof.....pre-installed retracts......never mind.....

Richard