Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

SAP 180 (Syssa Performance)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 PM
cmoulder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SAP 180 (Syssa Performance)

ORIGINAL: ghoffman

Thanks! But that brings up a question I have. Can I cut off some of the stinger without suffering engine performance?
Yes. I cut about 1.5 inches off mine and it runs fine. However, the longer it is the less exhaust residue that can get on the fuse and stabs.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! But that brings up a question I have. Can I cut off some of the stinger without suffering engine performance?
No engine performance loss if stinger is cut 2" as I did mine. Noise is slightly higher.

I cut mine to clear the grass runway. I could have just as easily turned the pipe sideways to clear. In retrospect, that's what I should have done since noise is a real big deal with me.

I have 11 runs on my set-up with Nordlocks and Ultra gasket, about 3 1/2 hours of run time...no leaks and as tight as when new. This set-up works great
Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 PM
cmoulder

Matt,

I have a Radio Shack sound meter and a copy of the AMA noise testing protocol. I will follow it as closely as possible tomorrow and will get a pretty good number for the actual decibel level.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Matt,

I have a Radio Shack sound meter and a copy of the AMA noise testing protocol. I will follow it as closely as possible tomorrow and will get a pretty good number for the actual decibel level.
Bob,

Over grass right? Grass strip at my field too. Deep grass that tends to snag gear. AMA requires 94 dB at 10 feet over grass. The gas powerplant should make spec'd noise requirement.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:29 AM
cmoulder

Bob,

Over grass right? Grass strip at my field too. Deep grass that tends to snag gear. AMA requires 94 dB at 10 feet over grass. The gas powerplant should make spec'd noise requirement.

Regards,
MattK
Yes, over grass. The test protocol is 3 meters to the right of the model, perpendicular to and in line with the engine, 30cm above the surface.

Sorry to say I didn't get to the field where I can fly the Focus because of traffic concerns. Gets really ugly here when everybody hits the road at once for a big summer holiday. Stayed local and flew the trainer with a friend on a buddy box, and then flew a little Ultimate in the afternoon. Spectacular conditions late in the day.

Going to the beach today, definitely flying the Focus/Syssa tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:23 AM
cmoulder

Tested over grass, per protocol, mine was right at 94 decibels, teetering to 95 occasionally.

However, there was a patch of bare packed dirt under the plane where I tested it, so a full grass surface probably would have kept it at 94 safely.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:46 PM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

Syssa for sale in pattern plane.
RC
Old 07-08-2010, 04:57 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Rick,

I think you gave up on this one way too early. The setups above work. I've watched them.

Arch
Old 07-08-2010, 10:22 PM
MTK

One of the strangest things I have ever experienced, happened today.....

I removed the new SAP from my Temptress and installed the first one I had in my test bed 6 months ago. I had sent the engine back to Todd for a thorough going over because it seemed off on compression and got it back about a month and half ago, so it needed to be run.

Anyway, put the header on with Ultra Copper permatex and Nordlock washers, removed the velo stack and re-installed the factory choke, buttoned everything up and went flying today. First run of the day took a few flips but it started and ran super. Took a whole flight, landed with engine still running, taxied back to the pits, lowered the thottle to real low and actually killed power to the CDI killing the engine essentially fully primed.

Then it happened: I re-fueled, and tried to start the engine. I flipped and flipped and flipped for an hour. Took several breaks trying to figure out what the problem was. Battery was fine; CDI was firing fine since the engine would start for a few turns and stop. I choked and re-choked, and re-choked, got the thing flooded, took the spark plug out and flushed the flood, etc etc.

Checked my fuel lines, wiring, connections to IBEC and to hall sensor....no problems seen. Took the chin cowl off and checked everything I could think of. Nothing...it just would not start and stay running. I had continuous short bursts but would not run after the initial run, no matter what. It really wanted to get going but it just wouldn't. What the hell was going on?? Finally I packed up and went home.

I tried again at home. Same exact symptoms. I was stumped.

Then I stumbled on the solution. Rather than tell you guys, let's see if any one of you can guess. And if you get the correct solution on one try, I will be pissed.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 PM
tele1974

Nope you got me.  I can't wait to hear what it was.  I read, read and reread your post.  Nothin'
Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: tele1974

Nope you got me. I can't wait to hear what it was. I read, read and reread your post. Nothin'
Once the solution was in place, two flips and she fired right up with her great throttle response.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Rendegade

I'm thinking of a few things.

1. the spark plug has chafed and is shorting onto the engine once it started to move on the mounts?

2. screen inside the carb was full of fluff, when not running it'd float around in the chamber and once running the fluff collected on the screen?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

I'm thinking of a few things.

1. the spark plug has chafed and is shorting onto the engine once it started to move on the mounts?

2. screen inside the carb was full of fluff, when not running it'd float around in the chamber and once running the fluff collected on the screen?
Checked wiring...saw nothing there. Did not disaasemble the carb so I don't know if there was fluff or not. Thanks for playing
Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 PM
DaveL322

throttle linkage fell off...possibly from extra movement at very low idle during shut off??

Regards,
Old 07-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Syssa Aircraft

carb screws not tightened on one side? or both? (I know you would not forget to do that, but had to give it a shot!)
Old 07-09-2010, 07:45 AM
RC11
My Feedback: (7)

OK I give up! Can't stand it any longer! Please! Uncle! I give up!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Same here!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 AM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Didn't turn the Tx on? (If this was it, you better set your failsafe to kill power on the IBEC!)
Old 07-09-2010, 08:10 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: DaveL322

throttle linkage fell off...possibly from extra movement at very low idle during shut off??

Regards,
Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Bingo.....as simple as this is, it was overlooked several times.

The carb is waaaay down in the engine compartment which makes it hard to see the details and a little hard to reach; it's dark down there. Apparently when I installed the clevis I didn't snap it closed like I thought. It worked it's way completely off the arm. My plane has no cowl that makes it easy to access the carb...I have to access it from the top

The coned end screw that adjusts low throttle had been removed to avoid servo overtravel or binding. With no back stop so to speak, and clevis to hold the position, throttle would spring closed practically fully.

The big clue to me should have come when I flushed the "flooded" engine....I expected it to gush out fuel but only a few drops fell out. Choking did nothing since the thottle wasn't opened in reality. Practically no fuel was drawn. The other clue came when turning the engine over by hand; I could feel the bump but it was weak, like it had no fuel mix.

Dave wins.

Point is check the really obvious stuff first, even the stuff you are sure you didn't screw up. How many times have I connected and disconnected the throttle clevis in the last 7 months? At least a couple dozen.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 AM
ghoffman
My Feedback: (3)

Want a little tiny Nordlock for that screw?
Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 AM
MTK

Want a little tiny Nordlock for that screw?
Thanks but I seriously doubt there's much hope in keeping THAT loose screw tight. It's just too damned used (VBG)
Old 07-09-2010, 11:07 AM
jrpav1
My Feedback: (17)

ORIGINAL: MTK

Regards,
Dave wins.
I wasn't surprised: Dave always wins! LOL

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic
Old 07-09-2010, 01:36 PM
cmoulder

Wish I could have played!

I am out of town for a couple of weeks with very limited internet access. But I will check in every day or two just to see what you guys are up to.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:54 PM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: RC11

Syssa for sale in pattern plane.
RC
If I hadn't already purchased my second SAP-180 for my next pattern plane, I would buy it.

I think Arch may be right that you bailed out too soon. If you follow the "cookbook" set-up exactly and keep the model weight to 10.5 lbs, the Syssa is a viable pattern powerplant option, at least up to Masters level.

I absolutely love the set-up because it is very reasonable in cost and reliable. My Focus II and SAP combo is perhaps the lowest-maintenance, lowest-cost (initial and operational) 2-meter pattern plane to be had, period.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:36 PM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

ORIGINAL: jrpav1

ORIGINAL: MTK

Regards,
Dave wins.
I wasn't surprised: Dave always wins! LOL

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic

Ohhhhh noooooooo, a Pavlick sighting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.