Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

battery setup for rx and cdi

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 AM
yepe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery setup for rx and cdi

Guys , I would like to ask whats your battery setup on your pattern plane with 170CDI. Right now I'm using 4 cell 1500mah nicad for the radios and cdi. I can only fly 3 tanks and charge again. What is the best option shall I use 2S LIpoly, what is a good voltage regulator and battery. I had bad experience with regulators before.

Thanks,

Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM
cdodom

Default RE: battery setup for rx and cdi

On my CDI I was running a Fromeco 2600 mah 7.4v LiIon and a 6V Jaccio Regulator. This setup for me was rock solid.

http://www.centralhobbies.com/Electr...rfectstch.html

http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/FRREL2C.html

hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Jon Wold

Probably the safest and best lipo/regulator combo you can have is Schulze LiPo RX 2000/7 which has a built in balancer and charging circuit. http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.com/index_uk.htm
Old 05-09-2010, 04:50 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

I use my own products; a Tech-Aero dual failsafe regulator and a Tech-Aero IBEC (Ignition Battery Eliminator Circuit) to power the CDI module, as well as filter out the ignition noise. The IBEC lets you control the power to the CDI from an aux channel. I use a pair of 850 mAh LiPos to power the entire setup.

The IBEC isn't up on the Tech-Aero website yet, but you can either get that from Syssa Aircraft Performance, or you can contact me directly for one.

Be sure to download the Tech-Tip on redundant battery/regulator configurations, so you will understand the benefits of this configuration, as well as the need for very precisely matched regulator pairs to accomplish this properly.

www.tech-aero.net
Old 05-09-2010, 08:00 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to second Ed's setup. I've been using it for a while now and has been absolutely bullet proof.

Arch
Old 05-09-2010, 09:27 PM
NJRCFLYER2
My Feedback: (42)

Here's a couple of pictures to illustrate. The dual regulators are just stacked one on top of the other, though side-by-side is a better way to mount them. It just works better in this particular setup due to space restrictions.

The new Tech-Aero IBEC as shown here can work with any power source to the receiver, regulated or not. The voltage output to the CDI module is jumper selectable to support any ignition module available today. Unlike any other IBE type product, it also has an advanced 2nd order common mode filter for the power leads, and an opto-isolator for the signal lead for superior isolation of ignition noise between the CDI and the receiver connection bus. It just connects to an aux channel and adds about as much current draw when the engine is running as if you added another hi torque digital servo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95560.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1433716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14579.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1433717  
Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

I have to second Ed's setup. I've been using it for a while now and has been absolutely bullet proof.

Arch
Me too....My original IBEC was the first prototype Ed built for my gassie. It has been bullet proof with 2.4 gig DSM and 72 Mhz PCM radios. The latest is Ed's latest which has even more advanced filtering and has the voltage selection feature. I am using it in an old 10X system

One thing not mentioned is that Ed's IBEC is around 17-18 grams and his voltage reg is just about 30 grams (mine has the heat sink; not needed but I never removed it). My battery is a 1780 mah 2S2P from Radical. Regulator, IBEC and battery weigh less than a 5 cell NiMH 1650 mah

Highly recommend the Tech Aero products