Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Pattern newb

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 AM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pattern newb

Hi guys, I'm wanting to better myself as a pilot buti'm not looking to compete..(yet) lol I was looking at the Sportsman maneuvers but before I start practicing them I have a question.

Using the Split S as an example, On the pic how it's showing the roll, does that mean the roll needs to be completed before the entry of the loop? I just want to make sure i'm practicing these properly. What direction does the roll need to be?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19179.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1470691  
Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pattern newb

ORIGINAL: drube

Hi guys, I'm wanting to better myself as a pilot but i'm not looking to compete..(yet) lol I was looking at the Sportsman maneuvers but before I start practicing them I have a question.

Using the Split S as an example, On the pic how it's showing the roll, does that mean the roll needs to be completed before the entry of the loop? I just want to make sure i'm practicing these properly. What direction does the roll need to be?

Thanks
Roll before the 1/2 loop. A very brief hesitation is typically allowed....must be very brief.

As opposed to the Immelman turn which has the roll after the 1/2 loop. In immelman turns, both standard and reverse, inside or outside, the roll happens immediately following the 1/2 loop with NO hesitation.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 AM
rwlewis
My Feedback: (4)

From the RC Aerobatics rulebook.....NO hesitation allowed....the word "immediately" is quite specific.

Split ā€œSā€: Model performs one-half (1/2) roll in level light then immediately executes one-half inside loop to level flight in opposite direction as entry. Downgrades:
1. Half roll not 180 degrees.
2. Half loop not started immediately after half roll.
3. Half loop not constant radius.
4. Changes in heading.
5. One-half (1/2) roll not in level flight.
6. Model heading does not finish exactly opposite the direction of entry.

For the benefit of the new pattern fliers, the rulebook as it stands today can be found at:

http://modelaircraft.org/files/event...aerobatics.pdf

Richard

ALSO....for the benefit of the spelling police, the word "light" should be "flight" in the first sentence, but I copied it directly from the rule book as is....
Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rwlewis

From the RC Aerobatics rulebook.....NO hesitation allowed....the word ''immediately'' is quite specific.

Split ā€œSā€: Model performs one-half (1/2) roll in level light then immediately executes one-half inside loop to level flight in opposite direction as entry. Downgrades:
1. Half roll not 180 degrees.
2. Half loop not started immediately after half roll.
3. Half loop not constant radius.
4. Changes in heading.
5. One-half (1/2) roll not in level flight.
6. Model heading does not finish exactly opposite the direction of entry.

For the benefit of the new pattern fliers, the rulebook as it stands today can be found at:

http://modelaircraft.org/files/event...aerobatics.pdf

Richard

ALSO....for the benefit of the spelling police, the word ''light'' should be ''flight'' in the first sentence, but I copied it directly from the rule book as is....
Sit corrected
Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Diver09
My Feedback: (1)

In case nobody answered your question on which direction you must roll......It's up to you. Do whatever direction is comfortable for you.

-Chris
Old 07-20-2010, 06:05 PM
drube

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure. Been out prepping my "new to me" chipmonk. Can't wait to practice!.