RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Black Magic v2 builder's thread! *Updated* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/3640864-black-magic-v2-builders-thread-%2Aupdated%2A.html)

wlcornelius 12-30-2007 07:42 PM

RE: Black Magic v2 builder's thread! *Updated*

I'am new to some of this stuff. What is PAC?

petec 12-30-2007 07:49 PM

Precision Aero Composites, it is owned by Scott and Maureen Dunphy. Great people and pattern people to boot. Here is the link to their site http://pac-rc.com/

I would call them and ask if they have what you want or a reasonable replacement. I bought my stab setup and Bolly gear from them.

wlcornelius 12-30-2007 08:16 PM

No price on the Bolly Gear,only showed 1 so I would say that that is the right one, one other thing, I am using the 160 FX what set up for the pipe an header. Carbon fiber if it is out there. Who has them

petec 12-30-2007 08:29 PM

I fly YS, so I can't help you on that. Mike or Arch ight be able to help you since they were both OS guys before they got smart.....<VBG>

lodomjr 12-31-2007 06:46 AM

The Jon Lowe Cook Book for the OS 1.60FX is now on the support section in the Custom Airframes of America website. If you follow what the cook book says you will have no problem. My son and I used the OS 1.60 just as Jon stated and we had no problems at all. It has plenty of power and was easy to start. The first starting was the only tricky one because you could flood the engine easy, but once the engine ran the first time it would backfire flip first time every time all day without every repriming. I would suggest to change the original bearings after a couple of months of flying and install a high quality Boca bearing. We did not and the rear bearing failed and caused the crankshaft to twist in half just in front of the rear bearing. In flight we lost all the main parts to rebuild the engine and it was cheaper to just buy a new one. Just follow what Jon suggests in the cookbook, pipe, perry pump, prop and you will love it.

Larry

d_bodary 01-01-2008 06:52 PM

OK finally getting around to the primer stage on the fuselage. Seeing as how i have done some lousy sanding before fiberglassing. thought it was better then it was. And not as good a fiberglass job as i thought now on about primer coat number nine.

Am looking for a complete bare fuselage weight. after primer or after primer and paint. but bare. no landing gear, motor mount, wing adjusters etc. just a bare weight.

Just seeing if i am getting heavy or if i can continue with primer and wet sanding. Would like to tell you what it weighs now but can't remember. And the fuse is a half hour away.

Thanks Dennis

Oh yeah and Dean will probably pm you later about some graphics.

petec 01-01-2008 07:15 PM

Dennis,

How bare do you want the weight? With or without cowl and canopy? Grams or ounces? I have my bare fuse on the bench and can weigh it for you since I going the monokote route and not glass.

Pete

d_bodary 01-01-2008 07:55 PM

the cowl is installed. not the canopy. i have already fiberglassed and primed mine. So your weights might help me. So the vertical fin is on. The servo mounts are in. But no belly pan,stab,wings etc.

Dennis

d_bodary 01-01-2008 08:02 PM

All i can remember right now is over two pounds. Can't remember how much over two pounds. CRS syndrome is really kicking in. Of course it could be spraying in the basement. Just to cold to be spraying outside. The Epoxy paint would probably take a month to dry.

MHester 01-01-2008 08:43 PM

Hi Dennis, 2 lbs is fine. 2 lbs and a few ounces is still fine. 3 lbs is too much ;)

I think the electric I did was 28 ounces painted at that stage. The glow ones were about 2 lbs even, and with an OS 140 they were 9 1/2 lbs flying. After the DZ and a ton of lead in the tail it came out 10 lbs 5 ounces. My advice is just keep sanding. Don't go through the glass, but go at least TO the glass. Use a foam sanding block to help keep it level, and just sand sand sand. You'll be fine, just don't get crazy with the paint. As in, as soon as it levels and you can't see through it, it's DONE. If you get some texturing and overspray, that's on, wait until it cures and wet sand and polish it out...do NOT add more paint.

Good luck!
-Mike

petec 01-01-2008 09:06 PM

Dennis,

My fuselage and cowl is 740 grams which comes out to 1 pound 10 ounces.

d_bodary 01-01-2008 09:56 PM

Thanks Gentlemen. Will give a painted weight in the next couple weeks.

grcourtney 01-02-2008 10:48 AM

don't forget the pic's!!!!!!!

gary

d_bodary 01-20-2008 05:51 PM

Well gentlemen after about 12 coats of primer. An a finish with Klass Kote. 2 pounds 7oz. Unfortunately i did not weigh it between the primer and the paint stage. But the final coat did'nt add much at all. most of the weight was added due to a s*** job sanding before applying the fiberglass.

Gary no pictures. It is not anywhere on par of a paint job. the paint looks nice. But i still has some bad spots due to the before mentioned sanding deficiency. But just picture this. Are you ready? are you sure your ready? OK here it is picture Yellow. Now for the next color picture Yellow. And for the final color picture more YELLOW. with just a tad of blue and red on the vertical fin.

Dean is making up some graphics for me. If memory serves me correct with the carbon fiber vinyl and with the carbon fiber canopy it should look fine.

Dennis

AAbdu 01-22-2008 02:18 PM

Dennis,
It's about freaking time;)

I can't wait to see that baby take to the skies. Do you think you and it will be good enough to collect my point this year? That yellow on yellow on yellow scheme sounds like quite the ground breaking color scheme. Who are you going to put in the pilots seat, the lion from the Wizard of OZ?

Anthony

petec 01-22-2008 02:25 PM

I thought maybe he'd use Bart Simpson.....

AAbdu 01-23-2008 01:25 PM

Big Bird would fit his color scheme.

d_bodary 01-26-2008 04:12 PM

Anthony they call me big bird at work. And as far as taking your point. Are you going to Masters? If not you can keep your point. I am one of the lucky ones that flew in a class with a bunch of pilots and now HAVE to go to Masters.

And Anthony as far as Big Birg i guess you can call me that. I will expect to be paid however. They pay me at work where they call me that. So i expect the same out of you.

Anyways all that's left now. Is monokote or ultra kote on the wings stabs and the rudder and put it all together.

radray 01-26-2008 07:42 PM

Dennis,

Paste a picture, or are you waiting for the graphics to add some contrast?

Ray

AAbdu 01-26-2008 08:05 PM

That's right, you are going to masters... Darn it. I was very much looking forward to collecting your point at least once this year. I was very close to getting it at the Signal Seekers contest.

I still can't wait to see your BM V.2 fly. Our V.3s are coming along well. Mark is making a ton of progress but there is still a lot to do. He got the bottom on the first two and we are finally getting a feel for how incredibly voluminous the fuselage is.

Dennis, just for the record I will not now nor ever refer to you as big anything. I do NOT want to know you like that[:'(]

d_bodary 01-26-2008 08:24 PM

Ray i don't have a digital camera. Maybe i can talk Aleta into it. Taking the picture that is. Right now i'm trying to get ready for a swap meet. Gotta get rid of some airplanes.

handglider 03-25-2008 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HI All,

spent a day last weekend buffing and polishing my V2.2 "Fire Dragon"

http://www.dragonfirecustoms.com/firedragon2/

I busy painting 3 other planes right now but hope to have it ready very soon, should be on the ground at GMA - but I'll be flying olde blue....

enjoy, Dean

wlcornelius 03-25-2008 04:24 PM

Handglider what happened to the V3 build tread, not the one in the universe ,the one Mike has.

handglider 03-25-2008 04:34 PM

Check out mike's website www.customairframes.com there is a build thread there as well as Don Szczur's http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_68...tm.htm#7272377

the Black Magics probably have the most build threads out there, anywhere :)

handglider 03-26-2008 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a few pics from today. I got the V2 out in the sun, finished sanded the wings to 320. I am going to start the covering in thenext couple days. She has a really nice shinny gloss :)