RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Black Magic v2 builder's thread! *Updated* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/3640864-black-magic-v2-builders-thread-%2Aupdated%2A.html)

lodomjr 03-26-2008 10:17 PM

RE: Black Magic v2 builder's thread! *Updated*

Hey Dean,

Dude, don't stop now the GMA will soon be here. Maybe we can maiden 2 new Black Magics that weekend. Laid down some concept white tonight and I had some minor problems but nothing that will not sand out. I didn't get all the holes sanded out from the previous batch of fish eyes.

I'm glad to see some more progress on the yellow plane so "GET-R-DUN

Lawrence

Rendegade 03-26-2008 11:21 PM

So I've got to ask the question, what's the difference in the wing between the v2 and the 2.2?

I take it different stab and wing airfoils?

What about the rudder?

jrpav1 03-26-2008 11:41 PM

Lookin' good Dean. I'll upload some pic's of mine real soon. It's still kinda cold so we're not really flying that much. Just as well, I don't feel so bad when I'm locked up in the shop and the weather is crummy. Mike said my VF-3 should be on the way by the end of this week. Perfect timing - the V2 should be on the ready rack any day now. Just the final details left.

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic

rcpattern 03-27-2008 06:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Rendegade

So I've got to ask the question, what's the difference in the wing between the v2 and the 2.2?

I take it different stab and wing airfoils?

What about the rudder?
Renegade,

The difference is at the tail with the vertical fin. The subfin is added and therefore has a larger rudder. This makes the 2.2 better for higher class sequences with rolling maneuvers. It definitely improves the handling, but still not to the level of the VF3. Wings and Stabs are the same,

Arch

petec 03-31-2008 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally after over a year my first BM V2.2+ is ready to go see my friend Buddy to get covered in Ultracote. As you can see I added a cap to the vertical fin like the VF3. Mike isn't sure if it will help or hurt but I can always cut it off if it is a problem. Also, since I am not glassing and painting mine I opted to make my cowl removable so I get to the engine more easily.

Now to get number two on the bench and finished. Hopefully that will prove easier since my son is almost two....he has been my major project for the past year and a half so airplanes came in a very distant second.

petec 04-07-2008 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here is the crutch for #2 on the dirty bench getting ready to make the move to other banch and get worked on.

I have the turtle decks and stabs already sheeted and the wings are ready to sheet as well as the sheeting is already cut and ready to go. will probably put the vacuum to it tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have two ready to fly by June. It's a;lways easier to do after you get one done.....

handglider 04-08-2008 01:18 PM

Hey Pete,

I think I remember those crutches :) Your builds are looking great bro.....

Hey with that extra fin height it's going to look like a B-52 on and aerobatic bombing mission :)

petec 04-08-2008 01:32 PM

Hopefully I can rip through the second one a lot quicker.

petec 04-25-2008 10:26 PM

I might even do a third as an electric.....just picked up a Dualsky 6350 12T. Any thoughts on how best to make weight other than a lot of balsa and picking out the very lightest?

handglider 04-25-2008 11:17 PM

Pete,

the magic is in the wood, the two vf3 electrics that Mike built and I am painting are 2 lbs 2 oz - that's the complete fuse, rudder, canopy and chin with landing gear. It's all in the wood bro. :)

yea these things are super light !!! I'll be shooting color on three vf3's in like two days...

jrpav1 05-12-2008 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, I know it's been a while but here's my V2.2. Power is an OS 160 w/ Aeroslave pipe and APC 18.1x10. I see about 7900 RPM on the ground with this setup. Plenty of power as mine came out at 10lbs., 6.9oz. Finish is Monokote on the wings and stab's with Nelson Urethane on the fuse and rudder (yeah I PAINTED the rudder!). The fuse and rudder are covered with silkspan not fiberglass. It's hard to see from this picture but the wings are actually one piece of white and ONE piece of red Monokote. The white went on first. The red is one sheet with a "window" cut out. The overlap is 1/8 +/- 1/32 of an inch. I'll never do THAT again! LOL Landing gear is Bolly F3a wide with carbon spats. Now on to my VF-3 project...

John Pavlick

BTW - This plane flies on rails. I hear the VF-3 is even better but right now that's hard to imagine.

MHester 05-12-2008 12:12 PM

That is one SWEET plane. You should see some of the close up pics....awesome work! And not even done in the Southeast <vbg>

Yes, the VF3 is better...LOL But it's apples and oranges. This plane is more of a pure "tracker", the 3 flies a bit slower and is much more graceful, if you can envision that. Well you'll see in a couple months when you fly mine.

Still, every once in a while I fly someone's V2 and it's like that glove still fits. it's still an awesome plane, just not the best for KE loops and such. It'll do them, just more pilot load.

Gary Courtney and Jon Lowe are playing with some Bolly props. Jon is running one on his 160 that is a cut down 18x12, tips swept, and he says that set up he's running is good for another few hundred RPM, and a good bit more power on the top. My first thought is that it might be loud, but it's not. it does pull stronger than the APC, and probably lets the 2 stroke throttle a little quicker than "normal".

Not a cheap experiment, but hey, I'm gonna play with one :D

-Mike

jrpav1 05-12-2008 12:42 PM

Thanks Mike. Yeah, it was worth the wait. Some things just can't be rushed. Not that it was hard to build, problem is I'm too damn picky. I probably made 3 of every part in that plane. The first part fit good, the second one fit better, the third one just a little better than the second one so that's the keeper... If anyone wants to look through my scrap wood pile there's probably another "good" airplane in there! LOL Remember this was one of the first "kits" out there (yeah it took me THAT long to finish it). This had NO laser cut parts. Just a few "Melissa CAM" formers and ribs. I lost a few good people while I was building this too (Grandma, Kathy and my Dad to name a few) so I took some time off during the process. I wish my Dad was still here - he taught me how to carve balsa and this plane is a good testament to his teaching prowess. With all the stuff I learned from this one (my first 2-meter build), my VF-3 should be REALLY sweet! Stay tuned...

John Pavlick

Ryan Smith 05-12-2008 04:57 PM

Pretty airplane John.

radray 05-18-2008 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of another V2, it flies very well.

Ray

pappy35 05-18-2008 11:17 PM

That picture doesn't do Ray's plane justice. The paint is FLAWLESS! Definately one of the nicest builds I've ever seen!

jrpav1 05-18-2008 11:41 PM

That is pretty! Nice job Ray! What kind of paint did you use? I think my next one will be PPG. The water-based Urethane is really tricky to apply. Of course you can shoot that stuff in your basement with no danger whereas with PPG you need to take some precautions.

It's hard for some people to believe these start out as wood, foam, fiberglass and a twinkle in the eye. ARF's are definitely more familiar to most nowadays. I have fun explainting how mine is covered with "tissue paper". Some people just don't get it. It's really cool to have a plane that doesn't look like anything else at the field. Truly your own. Long live the hard core builders.

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic

radray 05-19-2008 05:48 AM

Thank you, it was PPG Concept with the expert painting help of Bob Pannell and his paint booth in his basement. You are right about the precautions with this paint. I am now looking forward to finishing a couple more. After flying an ARF for a few years it was nice to build and finish an airplane again.

Ray

patternrules 05-19-2008 06:24 AM

Ray great looking job. I'm taking the year off but plan on coming up to the shootout Saturday, so I hope to see it then.
Is it powered by splitting antimatter LOL.
Steve Maxwell

MHester 05-19-2008 12:43 PM

Looks awesome Ray! Beautiful finish. I hope you do well with it!

-Mike

d_bodary 05-24-2008 06:42 PM

Well not to be outdone. I maidened my V2 today. Three flights. Will try and figure out how to post some pictures. Maybe in a couple of days. Heck maybe Monday.

10lbs 3.3oz. With a 1650 Mah 4.8 Nimh Rec. Battery. OS140RX ES pipe and landing gear. Painted with Klass Kote. .6 OZ. fiberglass.
Graphics by Dean

It's not on par with Ray's but it looks pretty respectable.

Dennis

radray 05-24-2008 07:44 PM

Dennis,

Fantastic, will you bring it to Columbus? How do you like it so far?

Ray

d_bodary 05-26-2008 07:17 PM

Ray i won't be at Columbus. Typical Memorial day weekend for me. Engine quit on the Tojeiro just after takeoff. ripped the bottom of the plane out. should be back together by the weekend. hopefully. Engine quit on the Black Magic just after takeoff. Luckily landed on the runway and just rolled into the weeds. No damage except for the tailwheel. Should be a 2-minute fix.

As far as how it's flying. So far it does some things better than the Tojeiro. Does'nt really snap or spin. I think i may not have enough elevator and rudder throw. I have to much throw on the ailerons. for my taste anyway. Right now i don't have any mixing in it. But i think the incedences may be off. it pulls toward the canopy on the uplines. pretty much goes straight down on the down line.

The incedences have me confused. I tried to set the wing to the canopy cut out. but depending on where i am in the canopy cut out. i'm talking 1/2 degree positive. move it and 0 degrees move it to another spot 1/2 degree negative. so i am lost there.

jrpav1 05-26-2008 08:20 PM

Dennis,
Something is wrong. A Black Magic snaps and spins VERY WELL! Double check your setup. Mine has 1/2 degree positive in the wing, 0 in the stab. C.G. is just ahead of the leading edge of the wing tube. My plane weighs 10 lbs, 6.9 oz. With 15 degrees of elevator travel I can snap and spin very easily.

Maybe your canopy cutout isn't flat. Check it with a straight edge and a level. The belly pan rails can also be used as a 0 reference but you'll have to remember that the plane is upside down else you'll dial in negative incidence instead of positive.

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic

MHester 05-26-2008 08:28 PM

What John said.

of all the pattern planes I have ever flown, the V2 is the best snapping/spinning plane I have ever had my hands on....and that includes the VF3. The V2 outsnaps it.

So yeah, something is off....way off, because I've never seen one that wouldn't snap on a dime and give you 9 cents change.

Where is your CG?

-Mike