RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Post all your "crappola" here (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/7834321-post-all-your-%22crappola%22-here.html)

Ryan Smith 01-24-2009 11:24 PM

RE: Post all your "crappola" here

I forgot, if you'd like some pictures of my rudder servo setup, I'd be happy to take them for you.

Jetdesign 01-24-2009 11:27 PM

I really would. I want to know how to do this right, not just get it to sloppily work.

Thanks

Ryan Smith 01-25-2009 12:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures.

The first shows the rudder servo wheel, the second shows a view down the fuse showing the cables being parallel, the third sort of shows the cables outside of the fuse still parallel, and the fourth shows the detail of the rudder control horn.

Nevermind the rather shoddy antenna tube installation, that was a quick install when I was switching between 72 and 2.4 in the airplane, and also, nevermind the pink bedspread. No, it's not my bed, and no I didn't pick it out. My fiancee did. [:-]

If you have any more questions, please ask!

Ryan Smith 01-25-2009 12:07 AM

The last picture didn't turn out so hot, I was trying to snap it quick before my camera died. It's just a 4-40 MK BB rod end that screws onto an aluminum servo horn. The 4-40 and 2.5mm MK ends will both fit a 4-40 thread, so the stock coupler with a 4-40 Du-Bro pull-pull kit works just fine. Alternatively, you can use a ball link or a clevis. For some reason I think a pattern airplane needs $300 worth of fancy stuff in it to make it fly better...

Jetdesign 01-25-2009 01:21 AM

Thanks a lot. Looks like I might be getting back to the drawing board on this one. I'm interchanging between a few sets of hardware, and it either ends up in a lot of slack, cable too short, or a broken piece of hardware.

Jetdesign 01-25-2009 11:05 AM

Just want to say thank you to everyone who's helped me with anything. You guys are the best and I appreciate it very much. I cannot wait to be flying with you guys again, and am really hoping to see a bunch of you at NATS.

jlkonn 01-25-2009 11:46 AM

"""and am really hoping to see a bunch of you at NATS."""
[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]You mean White Castle right?!?!?!?!?[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
;)
JLK

Jetdesign 01-25-2009 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: jlkonn

"""and am really hoping to see a bunch of you at NATS."""
[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]You mean White Castle right?!?!?!?!?[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]
;)
JLK
Yeah, sure, if you're buying;)

Jetdesign 01-25-2009 02:18 PM

What do you guys use to start your engines?? My starter doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Ryan Smith 01-25-2009 04:21 PM

Either a Kavan or B&P starter seem to be the ticket. They're small, lightweight, and the batteries are compact and lightweight as well.

A regular Hangar 9 or Hobbico starter should work, there are a lot of guys that use them. Maybe your battery is a little weak?

Jetdesign 01-25-2009 04:32 PM

Ha ha. I just bought a new starter for up to 1.80 size engines and a very appropriate battery system. Of course they don't tell you about the $22 worth of cones and inserts you need to start such engines! I think that's my problem. Still not as much power as I was expecting so I'll check those out.

Got to hand it to OS. Made it a whole season with one-flip hand starts on everything from a .46 to a 1.20. Never even new the starter I had wasn't big enough!

Thanks.

jlkonn 01-25-2009 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
B&P (Kavan). I really like it and it starts a 1.60DZ no problem.
http://bpassociates.homestead.com/bp.html
JLK

Jetdesign 01-25-2009 10:00 PM

How about a bowling night at NATS??

rcpattern 01-26-2009 08:17 AM

After a long day being beaten on by the Muncie sun..you just want dinner, a shower and bed. It really does take a lot out of you. That might work either before or right after the NATS, but during would not be a good idea...

Arch

RC_Pattern_Flyer 01-26-2009 09:22 AM

I know I am usually looking for a shower, good meal, good bs session mixed with some great ICE COLD beer. This at times has turned into a late evening but well worth it.

Ask Jon Lowe... he offered my first NATS to buy all the beer any Intermediate competitor wants.... my second NATS Jon was paying others to keep me sober. hahaha

Different story now but it was fun back in the day 3 years ago. Guess I am getting old.

Chuck

cdodom 01-26-2009 02:38 PM

I usually just like to play with foamies at night and crash into things. thats what Im doing this year at NATS. whos game?

Chris Odom
Team Black Magic
Team Dragon Fire

jonlowe 01-26-2009 07:12 PM

Yeah, Chuck, you are positively ancient!!

Jon

ORIGINAL: RC_Pattern_Flyer

I know I am usually looking for a shower, good meal, good bs session mixed with some great ICE COLD beer. This at times has turned into a late evening but well worth it.

Ask Jon Lowe... he offered my first NATS to buy all the beer any Intermediate competitor wants.... my second NATS Jon was paying others to keep me sober. hahaha

Different story now but it was fun back in the day 3 years ago. Guess I am getting old.

Chuck

patternflyer1 01-26-2009 07:48 PM

We night fly on site 4 (D7 gang)

I'm proposing a drinking night. Preferably the night before the finals. That way I have a chance if I am lucky enough to make it again.. lol
I practice alot for this event (drinking night) in hopes that it will happen!!! :D

Chris

Ryan Smith 01-26-2009 10:35 PM

I don't think you'd have to twist anybody's arm at all to do a drinking night. A boat race would be fun, too.

I may have to make it to the Nats now...

RC_Pattern_Flyer 01-26-2009 11:21 PM

Hey, this would tie in with the new logo with the boat, having a boat race!!!

*Flame Suit ON*

hahahaha jk jk jk

Chuck

Jetdesign 01-27-2009 07:54 AM

How many days do the intermediate classes fly at NATS? What does the schedule of events look like (flying, not drinking;)) I just looked at a map and found that I have a flying buddy about 3/5 of the way to Muncie, and my best friend lives 2.5 hours away in Cincinnati, kind of on the way. If I can stop spending money on planes and save up for this trip, it will be a really, really great week.

jlkonn 01-27-2009 08:13 AM

Go here:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/nats.aspx
The box down the left side has links to every thing you need to know.
The outdoor schedule (July 13-17 be sure to make the pilots meeting and judge certification if you
don't already have it), entry forms (make sure you sign up for the banquet) pay attention to the deadline
dates there is a late fee if you wait too long. It's all on the site. Maybe you should start a new thread...
Something like "Going to the 2009 Pattern Nats"?
Oh...the original question. You will fly 2 official contest flights a day, 3 days. Intermediate and Advanced do
not fly finals. You may practice on site 4 after hours and of course there are always the "secret practice sites".
;)
Pay attention to the channels assigned to Intermediate if you aren't on 2.4Ghz. Once again it's on the entry forms
at the AMA link above.
JLK

cdodom 01-27-2009 12:23 PM

last year site 4 was not that crowded you should have no problem praciticing. I was able to get in 6 flights the day before. also when putting your plane back in your trailer make sure that dang switch on the plane is off. I didnt last year and luckly Mr. Gary Courtney came to the rescue and had another battery for me. I guess those fromecos dont like to be on all of the time. lol

Chris Odom
Team Black Magic
Team Dragon Fire
CAA

jrpav1 01-27-2009 12:46 PM

Joe,
Last year was sort of "not typical". Usually it's hard to get in more than 2 or 3 practice flights on site 4. Don't worrry - you can join the D1 caravan for the trip down. We stop along the way to practice. We'll let you know what our plans are as soon as the contest season gets going. In the meantime - hope to see you at the WRAM show in a few weeks. We have our Annual NSRCA D1 meeting on Saturday (at the WRAM show) then we usually go out to dinner afterwards.

As far as the NAT's go: Intermediate and Advanced fly on "Site 4", 2 -rounds per day for 3 days. This is a big grass field so it's kinda like a local contest back home. I think this year Advanced flies in the afternoon and Intermediate flies in the morning. Since I'm not a morning person, this is great for me. However, since this will be your first NAT's, I could be persuaded (with large quantiities of beer at dinner) to get up early and help you out. :)

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic, Tech-Aero Designs

Jetdesign 01-27-2009 02:15 PM

"What's the WRAM show, you ask?"

http://www.wram.org/