RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   2008 Tangerine... reports and pics (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/8108952-2008-tangerine-reports-pics.html)

JAS 11-02-2008 08:23 PM

2008 Tangerine... reports and pics

1 Attachment(s)
I know it's early, but I guess now's as good a time as any to start the Tangerine thread. Saturday 9 pilots made it out to Apopka to get in some Tangerine pattern practice. Locals... Dave, Mike, Steve, Humberto, Blake, David and myself plus Chris and Larry from Lakeland came out to get a few flights in. A few bugs were being worked out, some new sequences flown and lots of fun was had. No the Cub won't be competing... but might be out there for after hours fun.

And please post you're preps for Tangerine. If you're building a new plane (Jim) or out practicing (everyone else)... this is a thread for all of that. I know the SPA/BPA guys just had a contest in Miami this weekend so they're getting ready for that part of Tangerine. This thread is open for all of it.

MHester 11-02-2008 08:41 PM

RE: 2008 Tangerine... reports and pics

I'll be there Wed or Thursday that week before the contest...

Couple of secret projects too (nothing on the 2 meter front though) so I'll post up some pics when it gets closer and I have something to show besides dust..

It sounds like a lot of people are coming down for this one, I'm looking forward to playing with the new masters pattern, and the masters BPA pattern too....

Welp....guess I better charge something and go fly? LOL

-Mike

rcflyermike 11-02-2008 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok Jason here is my Mk Aurora ready for the fun See you there!:D:D

rcpattern 11-02-2008 09:38 PM

Great looking plane Mike...wish i could be there to see it in person..maybe next summer.

Arch

JAS 11-02-2008 09:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The info for the AMA contest. Maybe Orlando can post the info for the BPA/SPA contest here also.

Great looking Aurora Mike... sounds like there should be quite a few of them around the field during the contest.

jim woodward 11-03-2008 08:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike nice Aurora!! Here are a few pics of my projects. The PassPort thread is on FG in the pattern builders forum. Here is a picture of my 3 or 4 flight used, 15+ year old Aurora. I installed new bearings and cleaned the YS .61. It ran great in the driveway, turning the APC 11x10 at 11800 rpms! I think it is going to haul azz!! I haven't flown the plane yet though.

I'm looking forward to this contest and having my PassPort ready. Hopefully I'll be painting by next Monday, and flying next weekend.
Thanks,
Jim

Planeclaims 11-03-2008 11:01 AM

Hey Mike,

You're bringing Melissa along with ya, right?

Thanks,
Steve

ps: Anyone who's planning on attending and needing instructions to the field, go to www.rcacf.com for a map, or Mapquest the field address: 203 West Keene Rd., Apopka, FL. That oughta do it. Anybody needing info on hotels, just Google "hotels in Ocoee, Florida" or "hotels in Altamonte Springs, Florida" or if you're the adventuresome type, "hotels in Apopka, Florida".

crashlander 11-03-2008 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK Pattern guys:
Here it is. The contest of the year. RCACF and the FVPA are hosting this contest. It will be held December 6, 7, 2008 and will feature SPA and BPA patterns. The same day and running concurrently and at the same location, the Tangeriene AMA FAI Turn-Around Pattern is being held. Pattern will then be showuing off all types of pattern airplane, pre 1975, pre 1996 and current AMA/F3A airplanes. This has never been seen before to my knowledge. This is an AMA Sanctioned event and AMA membership is required.

Pilots may elect to fly either SPA and BPA, or, AMA/F3A and BPA, or, AMA/F3A and SPA.
If you will be flying in the SPA Class, you must be an SPA Member. All SPA rules will be in effect for thwe SPA categories. Points will be awarded toward the SPA Championship for the 2009 contest year. This event is considered the FIRST ciontest in the SPA calendar for 2009.

If you want to fly BPA, a pre 1996 airplane is desired, maximum wingspan is 72", 1.20 CI max displacement engine. Tuned pipes and retracts are encouraged. You do not have to be an SPA member, as points do not count towards SPA. A deviation for the Novice class, any AMA legal airplane weighing less than 15 ounds will be allowed to fly, although who wants to fly a 15 pound lead sled. It is advisable to keep to the current trend of the 1990's years; but you will not be turned away.

Registration: $25.00 for one evnt, $10.00 additional for second event.
However, if you register for AMA/F3A the fee is $30.00 and if you elect to fly SPA/BPA event, a $25.00 fee for that registration is due.
Essentially, the SPA/BPA and AMA/F3A are two sepearte contests.
I am also planning on having an unkown round whereby the first 2 winners of the classes I will have will win a $25.00 Gas Card. Details will be given at the pilots meeting.
More detasils will be forth coming. So get your planes ready.

Attached is the flyer for the event.
Visit www.RCACF.com for map, location and events flyers.

If you have any questions, reply to this posting or e-mail me at: [email protected]">[email protected]

Orlando

[img][/img]

Mrs. Score Keeper 11-03-2008 12:09 PM

I feel like i have been denied CRITICAL need to know information........

Am I supposed to be scoring both of these contests ?? If so I think I need a drink or two or five .

Melissa

jlkonn 11-03-2008 12:52 PM

I don't know Melissa. From what I've seen the last two years on Site 4 you make it look awful
easy. Shoot! This year they even added Site Manager to your list of duties on the last day!
:)
JLK

MHester 11-03-2008 12:55 PM

LOL That's right they did I forgot about that....

Tentatively yes, Melissa is coming and said she'd score it if she's needed to. Steve, give us a call when ya get a few.

(WHEW!!!)

-Mike

Planeclaims 11-03-2008 12:58 PM

Dear Mrs. Score Keeper,

Whoa! Your expert services would be greatly appreciated for the AMA 401 - 406 contest, which after all is said and done may drive you to drinking by itself. Orlando Frets is the CD for the SPA/BPA contest.

Steve

Mrs. Score Keeper 11-03-2008 01:01 PM

whew!! so there is someone to score the spa /bpa? just thinking about scoring 2 contents at the same time with manually having to input the new schedules had me thinking of my bottle of valium ....

:D
Melissa

crashlander 11-03-2008 01:40 PM

Mrs. Scorekeeper:
I was planning on inputing and printing out the scores for the SPA/BPA pilots. I use the same program you do except for the dofferent schedules used in SPA/BPA.
My computer is all setup to handle the different scorekeeping. I plan to print out the scores during the time when the AMA/FAI guys are flying, this should give me ample time to do everything even fly the AMA and the BPA.
However, if you would like to help..........

Orlando

patternflyer1 11-03-2008 08:36 PM

Hey Jason,

Who makes that 30 size Integral? LOL :D

Chris

MHester 11-03-2008 09:54 PM

Ok it's now official, Melissa is scoring the AMA/FAI side. I'm guessing she could be talked into helping with the SPA/BPA side as well.

I'm down for masters class, both contests....somebody loan Jason a plane so I can break 900 on him again!!!! (The more crooked and underpowered the better). Just don't let him fly an Aurora, or hello 7-800s....LOL

Ok I have one buring question that could determine the outcome of all of this, more important than anything else.....will we be able to have the foamy wars at night!!!!!??????

-M

vellum2 11-03-2008 10:52 PM

All the Aurora pictures almost makes me want to go into the garage right now and finish that Atlanta! (Almost)...

Suppose I ought to fly through the new pattern once before the contest eh? ugh... can I borrow a pro-driver anyone???

Joe

JAS 11-03-2008 11:10 PM

Come on down to Apopka Joe... there are plenty around here. I won't make it out this weekend (Roar and Soar) but I'm sure the other guys will be out there.

I'm not planning on flying BPA because my focus is on what could/should be a really hotly contended FAI class.

lodomjr 11-03-2008 11:26 PM

Foamy wars are a must, I don't know if I could survive a weekend of YS blues without it. This time I'm going to have my own so beware. Well as good as I fly I'm probably going to take myself out.

Looks like there is going to be a great turn out and I can't wait for it to get here. Hey we may even fly some pattern!!! :D

Gandolf
Team Broom Chucker

Planeclaims 11-04-2008 09:53 AM

To All,

Only one month until the start of The 3rd Annual RCACF Winter Pattern Classic / Tangerine F3A Challenge, at the RCACF field in Apopka, Florida. For those of you that haven't been paying attention, an SPA/BPA contest will run concurrently with the AMA/FAI contest. Orlando Frets is CD for SPA/BPA. We're expecting a large crowd for both contests. I'll be at the field all day Friday, Dec. 5th, for pre-registration. Please take advantage of pre-registration due to early start of contest on Saturday, Dec. 6th. AMA/FAI pilots meeting @ 8:00 am followed by start of contest @ 8:30 am, most likely with sun in your eyes. Due to limited daylight, AMA/FAI contestants will be "on a 3 minute clock" for achieving takeoff for their round, similar to the Nats. After completion of Round 1, SPA/BPA kicks off their first round.

Thanks to JAS for re-posting the AMA/FAI event flyer earlier in this thread. There are hotels located in Apopka, Ocoee and Altamonte Springs, relatively close to the field. The 3 in Ocoee, are the Red Roof (407)347-0140; the Best Western (407)278-7248; the Marriot Courtyard (407)573-1010. They are located near the SR50/Maguire Rd intersection. From this intersection, drive north on Maguire Rd which becomes Ocoee Apopka Rd., stay on Ocoee Apopka Rd, after passing beneath the 429 (toll road) a second time, take next right on W. Keene, then approx. 1 mile to field on left just past the large landfill mountain. If this will be your first visit to our area, I recommend you "Google" Ocoee, FL, under MAPS. The RCACF flying field is located in the vicinity of "Lake Gentle", north of W. Keene.

Additional information is available at www.rcacf.com.

If you need further assistance, please contact me via e-mail: [email protected]; or my Co-CD, Humberto Pomales: [email protected]

See ya there

Steve

ps: Foamy Wars at night, huh. Go for it!

jim woodward 11-05-2008 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
fuselage is RTF minus paint. The goal is to have it painted by Saturday night, then off for Sunday IMAC practice for the 3 day regional championship the following weekend. Hopefullly I'll test fly the PassPort next week.
Thanks,
Jim

Gregg G 11-05-2008 12:46 PM

Don't change a thing Jim, just fly it in all white!
Greg

Passport1 11-08-2008 02:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Aurora looks great, I was just catching up on some stuff when it finally clicked that we are all going to be a the Tangerine together.. Heres my 24 year old omega (Orange) thats being shipped to Jas next week. Anyway catch you in a few weeks.

Chip

ORIGINAL: MHester

Ok it's now official, Melissa is scoring the AMA/FAI side. I'm guessing she could be talked into helping with the SPA/BPA side as well.

I'm down for masters class, both contests....somebody loan Jason a plane so I can break 900 on him again!!!! (The more crooked and underpowered the better). Just don't let him fly an Aurora, or hello 7-800s....LOL

Ok I have one buring question that could determine the outcome of all of this, more important than anything else.....will we be able to have the foamy wars at night!!!!!??????

-M

rcflyermike 11-08-2008 09:46 AM

Joe
I'll bring a couple of extra glowdrivers.:D:D

MHester 11-08-2008 12:51 PM

That's great Chip! So you're playing with the BPA side too I take it? That's even better [8D] You gotta hang around at LEAST one night for the steaks, beverages and foamie wars....

Due to a recent turn of events (unexpected extra shop time, had to throw another plane in the short term rotation to help someone out, but glad to do it) I may or may not have my Aurora done in time. It's close, but I have 3 planes to paint in a very short amount of time. if that's the case, I'm sure I can twist Wingo's arm for a few flights on his new Ten Plus there. By the way pics don't do it justice. I gotta get some of that "french ***** lipstick red" from him LOL

Joe we'll have a spare glow driver with your name on it. This time we're watching for it. (I still can't believe that happened).

Jim get er done! Have you taken that Aurora out for a test flight yet? The Passport is looking sweet!

Oh lord, Larry has his own foamie this time....I'll remember to pack my body armor :D

I'm looking forward to it, this should be a lot of fun....

-Mike

grcourtney 11-08-2008 08:00 PM

I'm in...

gary

jim woodward 11-08-2008 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
8 solid hours today and this is the result. I'll clear it tomorrow. Not a run, no bleads, finally an efficient paint job (fingers crossed for a light/wet clear tomorrow). Plus, I like my scheme :) :) :) If is wasn't for the IMAC 3 day regional event next weekend, I'd be flying this next weekend. This base coat clear system of paint is nearly a joy to use - at least this far.

Also, the Aurora has not flown yet, the YS .61 was turning the APC 11x10 at 11,800 rpms in the driveway :)
Thanks,
Jim

rcpattern 11-08-2008 09:10 PM

Great looking paint job Jim...

Arch

lodomjr 11-08-2008 09:35 PM

Jim the plane looks great tighten up and get r dun.

And yes Mike I'm going to cook some good steaks and do some drinking and then you better get your armor out because I am going to do some foamy terrorizing. So get ready. Chris and I are going to be there Thursday noon and get the trailer set up. WE ARE READY!!!!

Larry
Team Black Magic

JAS 11-08-2008 11:10 PM

Looks like a big day of practice tomorrow after all.

Joe, I'll have a glow-driver if you need to borrow one ;)

Jim, the Passport looks great. After masking and "painting" my first 2 integrals... I'll pay someone to do that again.

Chip…nice wall your dad has. Zlin, Dalotel, Mini-Dalotel, Omega (pink?), Jekyll fuse x2, Aurora and Dash-5

jrpav1 11-09-2008 01:10 AM

Jim,
Wow! NICE looking airplane! I didn't know you could paint like that. :) 2-stage is cool but make sure you don't leave ANY of the base coats exposed. You need to have a continuous skin of clear on everything. If there's a broken edge anywhere, well, you won't like this system anymore (ask me how I know).

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic, Tech-Aero Designs

MHester 11-09-2008 08:57 AM

Base/clear+30%heli=paint stripper.

So, what John said...and don't let a little rock fly up and chip it...and don't let the fuse flex too much and crack it....etc....

But it looks great!

So John, we'll be seeing you in about a month too? *ahem*

-Mike

jim woodward 11-09-2008 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys - all wet-out!! this stuff is way easier to shoot than single stage paint is.
Thanks,
Jim

apereira 11-09-2008 07:52 PM

Nice job Jim,

What paint is it? you are really working fast on this one!! are you painting the wings?

Best regards

Alejandro

jim woodward 11-09-2008 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Alexandro. Hopefully you guys can still make it to the contest. Here are photos of the paint productsl. This is brand Nason, a Dupont product, bought from a local Finish Master auto paint supply store.

Very little paint was used. I mixed average 2 table spoons of paint for each color. However, I use a touch-up gun, and I have lots of overspray because I can not adjust smaller the paint spray pattern. Next time I'll get out the airbrush or something.
Thanks,
Jim

crashlander 11-10-2008 09:47 AM

Pre-registration is now on the web site.
http://www.seniorpattern.com/contests.htm

Although this is the Senior Pattern Website, anyone who plans to attend the Tangerine contest may pre-register.
It makes it easier for us to have a pr-registration and also minimizes the rush during Saturday morning registration.
You may also pre-register at the Field on Friday id you wish.

Thank you.

Orlando

handglider 11-10-2008 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jim,

My new plane is finally done too, ready for maiden flight. It's got the new anhedral stabs. I'll be bringing her to tangerine.... but....

I just can't stop thinking about the last time we meet at tangerine. I'll be bringing my blue battle axe as I don't think I could handle a repeat performance.

jim woodward 11-10-2008 11:34 AM

Looks Great Dean! Lets get pictures BEFORE the rounds start :)
Jim

MHester 11-10-2008 11:59 AM

I have a feeling Dean doesn't want to fly his new one at Tangerine....bad juju, I'm sure you remember it well ;)

-M

jrpav1 11-10-2008 12:14 PM

Even I remember it. That was BAD. Sounded like a car crash. I actually looked towards the road when I heard it. The part that I remember the best though is Dean's reaction. THAT was classic! LOL

John Pavlick
Team Black Magic, Tech-Aero Designs