RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Pattern Flying (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/)
-   -   Then and now side by side pics (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/8666129-then-now-side-side-pics.html)

All Day Dan 04-12-2009 02:21 PM

RE: Then and now side by side pics

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike, Here a few more to keep the thread going. I'm really enjoying every ones' posts. It's nice of them to take the the time and make the contributions. Red, white and blue with reeds 1965. P40 first proportional 1970. SB2C 1980. Pusher 1990. Canard 2000. Champ 2007.Dan.

nedim 04-12-2009 07:37 PM

Thanks Mike,

I am a great fan of Hanno Prettner. I built six Curares in three years. I actually had a chance to compete with Hanno in WC 1985 at Flevohof, Holland. However, I could only placed 71st. after his 1st. place!

I will dig out my old albumes to search for more cool pics. Thank you for starting this thread and giving us a chance to post such pictures from the past.

Nedim

can773 04-12-2009 09:04 PM

Nedim...show us that moustache :)

tIANci 04-12-2009 11:51 PM

Why is it that as they get older the planes get bigger but slower? Like huge Cubs? :)

nedim 04-12-2009 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here comes more pics.
And upon Chad's request; the infamous moustage!
First pic is with our Curares in my first international contest, circa 1979
Second pic is my Joker and myself and third pic is Dave Brown, both at WC 1985.
Fourth pic is Hans and Hanno Prettner with our team in the background, WC 1985.
And the last picture is myself with the moustage, the motor glider doesn't belong to me though. I only fly pattern!

Nedim

burtona 04-13-2009 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Below are a couple of before and after pictures. Phoenix is from sometime in the 70's I think. Not sure if it's a P-6 or P-7. Other picture is my Shinden from a contest a couple of weeks ago. I notice that both the airplanes and I have gotten considerably bigger!

ferio 04-15-2009 04:09 AM

ORIGINAL: nedim

Here comes more pics.
And upon Chad's request; the infamous moustage!
First pic is with our Curares in my first international contest, circa 1979
Second pic is my Joker and myself and third pic is Dave Brown, both at WC 1985.
Fourth pic is Hans and Hanno Prettner with our team in the background, WC 1985.
And the last picture is myself with the moustage, the motor glider doesn't belong to me though. I only fly pattern!

Nedim

Hi Nedim,

The Suprafly flown by Hanno is the same EZ Suprafly 60 that came out in ARF form?

Regards,
Gerard

mups53 04-15-2009 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: burtona

Below are a couple of before and after pictures. Phoenix is from sometime in the 70's I think. Not sure if it's a P-6 or P-7. Other picture is my Shinden from a contest a couple of weeks ago. I notice that both the airplanes and I have gotten considerably bigger!
Dave that's an interesting obvservation about sizes of planes and us as we age. Same boat here although I've been working hard on that lately. Could be another thread for biggest lousers thing before and after or biggest gainers which would be really funny!!!
I had a Phoenix 6 and it was pretty sensational. Don Lowe designed some pretty successful planes. Mike

nedim 04-15-2009 10:40 AM

Hi Gerard,

I suppose so. That was the biggest argument back then. He used a standard ARF and still won the WC. It might be made by EZ especially for him though!

Nedim

burtona 04-15-2009 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: mups53

ORIGINAL: burtona

Dave that's an interesting obvservation about sizes of planes and us as we age. Same boat here although I've been working hard on that lately. Could be another thread for biggest lousers thing before and after or biggest gainers which would be really funny!!!
I had a Phoenix 6 and it was pretty sensational. Don Lowe designed some pretty successful planes. Mike
Maybe we old guys should have a "Biggest Pattern Losers" contest. I can do that when I get motivated but it's hard.

BTY, I'm building an electric Phoenix-5 from Wing Mfg. Sheeted the wings and installed the engine mount/firewall yesterday. Had several of the P-6 & P-7 versions years ago but never a P-5 untill now. I well remember a beautiful silver and black P-6 I sold after the first flight. It was impossible for me to see! Last silver pattern plane I built.
Dave

Dre 04-15-2009 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1976 Nats: Cutlass Supreme; HP-61; Kraft; Rhom-air
2008 Nats: C-ARF Integral; Hacker 13XL Comp; 14MZ

Andre Bouchard

burtona 04-15-2009 10:39 PM

Hey Andre, Looks like your airplane grew larger at a greater rate than you! How old were you back then? 16-17?
I've got one of the Mini-Flite Mark II Cutlass Supreme kits in the attic. Maybe one of these days it will get built - or not!
Dave Burton

mups53 06-10-2009 08:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK my wife got to looking thru a box of old pictures and I found some earlier ones of myself. Circa 1963 and now. The old plane was a Midwest Esquire and yes I flew it in class 2 pattern that year. Mike Mueller

mups53 06-10-2009 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's from the 80's sometime with my old friend Mark Doucy. Mike

Taurus Flyer 06-11-2009 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gents,

Normally posting in Classic Pattern Flying I did find this thread by coincidence.
Very nice and I want to contribute.

Someone did write something about hair shop?
>>>ual767 I used the same hair salon as Mike M. (Mups53)<<<

I have another one!

First pictures of my own design and build (on that moment second) plane and equipment, 3 channel ,
Later pictures of the period I did fly pattern in the Netherlands, proportional radio.
These days I do fly Taurus and Orion “Just for fun”.
Enjoy your hobby and success with pattern.
I did like it very much.

Cees
(Pattern flyers do it mostly on their knees)

patternrules 06-11-2009 07:07 AM

Mike, Mark was flying with us a couple of years with his sons, they only came out 4 or 5 times a year, haven't seen them for a couple of years now.<div>Steve Maxwell</div>

mups53 06-11-2009 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Taurus Flyer

Gents,

Normally posting in Classic Pattern Flying I did find this thread by coincidence.
Very nice and I want to contribute.

Someone did write something about hair shop?
&gt;&gt;&gt;ual767 I used the same hair salon as Mike M. (Mups53)&lt;&lt;&lt;

I have another one!

First pictures of my own design and build (on that moment second) plane and equipment, 3 channel ,
Later pictures of the period I did fly pattern in the Netherlands, proportional radio.
These days I do fly Taurus and Orion &ldquo;Just for fun&rdquo;.
Enjoy your hobby and success with pattern.
I did like it very much.

Cees
(Pattern flyers do it mostly on their knees)
Wow Cee's you had the look. I love the way you held your transmitter. Great pictures. Mike

mups53 06-11-2009 07:24 AM

ORIGINAL: patternrules

Mike, Mark was flying with us a couple of years with his sons, they only came out 4 or 5 times a year, haven't seen them for a couple of years now.<div>Steve Maxwell</div>
Steve, Mark Doucy was a great guy. He flew with his brother Dave and his late father Marv. Together they were a force in pattern for many years. Originally from Peru Illinois if I remember right. I wish some of theold guys like him and Larry Ott would surface again, MIke

patternrules 06-11-2009 08:30 AM

That why they started coming out when his dad passed and he had planes which got them interested again, yes very nice.

patternrules 06-11-2009 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here we go not sure of order Japan Team "83" our club hosted them for the Worlds in Pensicola, I'm on the right end. Next 2 is me in the 80's not sure of one one of my scatch built Laser 200 1/4 size (notice I didn't say scale LOL). Next 2 Hanno&amp; Hanhs Prettner TOC. Finally me current or close yes it's at Hoffman a couple of years ago.
Steve Maxwell

Taurus Flyer 06-11-2009 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: mups53

Wow Cee's you had the look. I love the way you held your transmitter. Great pictures. Mike
Thanks Mike

cd3217 06-11-2009 12:09 PM

Great thread Mike.....(and everyone who has contributed) I've got to dig for some old photos now....I guess that's one advantage to turning 50 and flying toy airplanes so long.....:)

Great to see this stuff...keep em coming guys these are priceless.

Chris White

mups53 06-11-2009 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: patternrules

Ok here we go not sure of order Japan Team "83" our club hosted them for the Worlds in Pensicola, I'm on the right end. Next 2 is me in the 80's not sure of one one of my scatch built Laser 200 1/4 size (notice I didn't say scale LOL). Next 2 Hanno&amp; Hanhs Prettner TOC. Finally me current or close yes it's at Hoffman a couple of years ago.
Steve Maxwell
Great pictures Steve. Man you we're skinny. I like the Laser 200.
Also the Prettner plane. Wasen't that the plane that he got DQ'd for at the TOC?

Hey Chris good to hear from you. Coming to the nats? Say hi to your dad, Mike

patternrules 06-11-2009 01:05 PM

No the DQ was a bipe I think the following time.<div>Steve</div>

mups53 06-13-2009 07:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's me with the plane I flewat my first Nats 1968 Olathe Kansas. The plane was a Zues Taurus. Back then I flew in the Junior division against Bob Smith who was my Arch Rival for California. Whoo knew he would become the the King of CA.
Also a picture of my Dad and I with a plane that Bob Smith designed called the Patricia and few years later. Mike