Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

2.4 - Why Are They Failing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM
RogerParrett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4 - Why Are They Failing?

Zor stated... "I am glad that you are interpreting my postings as entertainment and you are assuming that they entertain others as well. You wrote "keeping us entertained" and not "keeping me entertained"

Man, I gotta tell ya.... based on the number of PMs I've received in the last 24 hours, I'd say that - yes - you are entertaining US.

No doubt you have some basic level of understanding of electronics. Most likely through actual work experience. However, you've made many mistakes - that you refuse to acknowledge - that anyone with a formal understanding in engineering finds immediately just plain wrong. Not "interpreted" wrong. Just plain wrong. I'm certainly not knocking actual work verses a formal engineering degree, but you seem to want to be viewed as an unchallenged, wise and seasoned expert. By mincing words, parsing phrases, inventing "new" ways of understandings that go against years of practical RC understanding, you lose a lot of ground with the REAL experts in this field.

Have you looked at your postings of the past three months? You've spent most of your postings defending your answers as opposed to offering constructive advice. Not a good hit ratio, pal.

A word of advice - sit back and chill out. Crack open one of Canada's best - Molsen Golden (Yeah!!). Read, learn, and don't be so quick to jump in with what you consider thoughful ramblings. And ask questions. People won't laugh at your questions.
And you might just learn something along the way.

Best... Roger Parrett / Dayton / OH

Old 01-18-2011, 11:00 AM
DougV

Mustang,

Here's some info. Trust me, spend the time to read it: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum01.shtml

Then go here: http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/24scanner.htm

By the way, the 7C is an excellent radio. I had 2 of them, I now have the 8FG and 12FG.

Hope this helps,

Doug.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:16 AM
psb667

Well here it is. You are the person this post most relates to(see below)ignorant stubborn and misleading. Also you cant spell. Here let me give you an example. What the #$!! is inelligence? Why exactly are you going to get sick if you dont eat? Got a problem from standing to close to the microwave? Do you know that your microwave is 2.4 what modulation is it? As for mangling of the mother toungue Ive go to guess that english isnt yours. Stop insulting the people on this forum go beat your dog or something.
ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: RogerParrett

....Zor said,
30 Hz or below I do not think is a modulation. It is a plain sound wave (although below the human ear capability) I cannot think of a better word than ''sound wave''.

Lordy mercy, bro, I'm getting an absolute kick out of this.

Can you state again for the record that you don't think 30Hz is ''a modulation''? In other words, you do not believe that it is possible to superimpose information on a 30Hz wave for transmission? Again, are you ******* serious??? LOL LOL LOL

Come on Zor, man up. Admit it... We'll get you though this... only 11 more steps to go. ''Admitting'' is the first step....

Keep up the good work (keeping us entertained!)... Roger
Hello Roger,

I am glad that you are interpreting my postings as entertainment and you are assuming that they entertain others as well. You wrote ''keeping us entertained'' and not ''keeping me entertained'' [img][/img] .

Would you believe that I am also entertained ! ! ! and I can point out the various sources that entertain me.

Here are just a few entertaining aspects of this forum including of course this thread.
1- One of the top factor is the ability of many posters to use their mother tongue in written form. Some is absolutely atrocious.

2-Another top factor is the ability of many to write and talk about many subjects all in a single paragraph extending up to 62 lines (one post that I counted the lines on a 17 inch monitor at full size display). I was educated that in composition each subject should have its own paragraph.

3- Another entertaining contribution comes from the ability or inability of some fellows to misunderstand what is clearly written, or perhaps intentionally distort the writings (for their own convenience). Reading and even pronouncing words aloud is one thing quite different than understanding the meaning.

4- I must not forget all the cases when a fellow does not understand the technical aspect of a topic due to lack of fundamental knowledge That is understandable.
What is not so understandable is when he comes out making analogies to absolutely not applicable examples. His selection of examples just reflect his misunderstanding of the topic It is also possible that his seek for knowledge never passed the example level.

I could go on _ _ _ _

Back to your posting . . . . . .
Abou the 30 hertz frequency which I understood is used to send messages to a submarine.

Water is a good media to propagate low frequencies. If the frequency is continuous I consider it a sound wave as being wihin the ange of human audible frequncies or below. Anyone is free to consider it a modulation. I do not.

It is of course possible and easy to modify a 30 hertz wave to carry some meaningful information. We can send it in intermittent fashion perhaps using a predetermined code (example Morse code). Now the 30 hertz or any low frequency becomes a carrier of information. The modulation is the Morse code. The variation of the carrier gong on and off is the modulation.

Any frequency that can travel in a media can be a carrier and be modulated (made variable in some way) to carry information, data, often referred to in a general sense as ''intelligence''.

Any frequency can be modified in some way to carry inelligence ( voice, music, pulses, digial data) but let us keep things in order and stop confusing the carrier as being the modulaion.

OK guys ''have your laugh again'' and look at those young kids out there that are reading this and learning something. And Oh! _ _ _ how about the grown ups that keep confusing carriers and modulation _ _ _ they sure need to learn also, unless they are just looking for an opposing arguiment.

Can you state again for the record that you don't think 30Hz is ''a modulation''? In other words, you do not believe that it is possible to superimpose information on a 30Hz wave for transmission? Again, are you ******* serious??? LOL LOL LOL

I am serious and repeat that 30 hertz as a continuous wave IS NOT a modulation.
30 hertz can be used to modify a carrier wave in some modulaton method .

It is certainly possible to superimpose information on a 30 Hz wave for transmission.but then the 30 Hz is the carrier and NOT the modulation.

I just cannot beleive that YOU would be serious in writing the italized and underlined paragraph above.
I do not know how to interpet the three LOL.

I think I better go and have some breakfast before I get sick instead of being entertained by some of the postings in here.

I am not pointing at anyone in particular. You well know who you are and how much you understand. Please _ _ _ please _ _ _ some of you ,stop posting some nonsense, make tests, experiment, get figures and measurements in as much as possible, _ _ _ stop repeating ''hearsay'' and propagating erroneous concepts.

and have a good day,

Zor
Old 01-18-2011, 11:22 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mustang40, Here's the address of a thread I started when I first got involved with the Futaba 2.4. Dan.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...tm.htm#8875436
Old 01-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought 2.4 Ghz was just below the microwave frequencies? 3 to 30 Ghz? 2.4 Ghz is a common frequency for Wi-Fi.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
pahtreek
My Feedback: (1)

How can you say you can only fly 80 planes at one time on 2.4? I saw 80+ planes fly at once at Joe Nall many times.... 72 were on this flight line, and there are 3 other flightlines within a mile that at least 10+ planes flying....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGebykkIm-4

And this gaggle had 100 planes...just forward to about the 2min mark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmD-MtGmvoo&NR=1
Old 01-18-2011, 12:05 PM
TimBle

Mustang, the Futaba 7C is an excellent radio to get back into bed with this hobby.
I'm sorry I chose the T6EX (I thought money was an issue) but I now have the T8FG and its worth every penny.
Futaba as a brand is certainly one of the best in the RC business. I have used SANWA components in the past for some ...other devices and have a healthy respect for their products as well.

I would suggest you do some homework on Spread Spectrum and look at Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics in the US.

I notice you are in Illinois so you may want to bump Futaba to the top of your list since their distributor Hobbico (Great PLanes) in in your state which would make any service requirements that much easier and quicker 
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 PM
psb667

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I thought 2.4 Ghz was just below the microwave frequencies? 3 to 30 Ghz? 2.4 Ghz is a common frequency for Wi-Fi.
Microwaves are kinda dirty when it comes to signals generated. We had to get rid of the one that came with the kitchen when we got this house as it would make the wifi disconect and cause a futaba rx to go completely bonkers.(Got attacked by a eflite blade cp when my wife went to warm up her coffee)Decided that anything bleeding that much signal probably had a problem anyway.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:14 PM
TimBle

I hope the cat was nowhere near that micro when it was working
Old 01-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Mustangman40

Doug and Dan,
thank you both for the input...
Very good reads and it cleared a bunch of things up for me... I feel safe in my decision to purchase the 7c and it will fit the bill for most of my planes i plan on using it in.. After reading, I think I might look into a JR for some upcoming projects. The multiple receivers feature would be a smart thing for a giant multiple engine type air planes that are in my future... Maybe between now and then, futaba will come up with something similar and have the best of both worlds. I have always favored futaba, nothing against JR, just a personal thing...

Thanks again for the info............
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: psb667

Microwaves are kinda dirty when it comes to signals generated. We had to get rid of the one that came with the kitchen when we got this house as it would make the wifi disconect and cause a futaba rx to go completely bonkers.(Got attacked by a eflite blade cp when my wife went to warm up her coffee)Decided that anything bleeding that much signal probably had a problem anyway.
OMG I'm sorry for laughing, but reading that just made my soda end up on my keyboard.... I thought i had it bad that my wife still thinks the smoke alarm is the timer telling her dinner is done..
Old 01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
psb667

ORIGINAL: TimBle

I hope the cat was nowhere near that micro when it was working
Well I didnt pay for hairless at least.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 PM
pilotpete2

Mustangman40,
You will soooo pay for that one
But it was a good one
Pete
Old 01-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Zor
Banned

Here for some of you who qualify my postings as entertainment instead of technically correct..

Why dont you come out and post some corrections ?
Could it be that you prefer to post degrading remarks and you do not know any better ?

Following is an example of misunderstanding ____and do not forget to blame me. I am the only one here who does not know how to write properly.

I wrote,
I think I better go and have some breakfast before I get sick instead of being entertained by some of the postings in here.
unquote

Someone read
I think I better go and have some breakfast before I get sick

the following was apparently not read
instead of being entertained by some of the postings in here

So the following question was asked
Why exactly are you going to get sick if you dont eat?

A typical example of misunderstanding.

Let me reword.
Since some of the postings in here are not entertaining and might get me sick, I think I better stop reading and go tohave some breakfast.

Is that clearer ?

Since we cannot blame the fellows who lost two planes, can we return to any possible and logcal reasons why some hardware faults were the cause of the crashes ?

or should we considerthis thread as having expired its topic ?

Zor

Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM
psb667

I want to make my position very clear. I was blaming the guys who lost thier planes not the hardware. (No offense to some whove lost planes.)
To keep things fair My spektrum that came with the cp got replaced with futaba due to a 2.4 cordless phone. It wasnt untill several months later after reading these forums for awhile that I got the old rx out and did some testing to see if the phone was the culprit. As it turned out if the rx (or the laptop) was inbetween the phone and its base then the cordless would cause a delink on the rx and the laptop would simple drop the wifi. These are some of the interesting things I have discoverred by experimentation and observation. I am a little suspicious of one corner of my local park due to some odd glitchiness in my futaba when I fly to low over it. I would hate to teach young folk to observe things. Ill be damned if I wont teach them to recognize a bully. Flag me if you want to Zor. Oh by the way the odd syntax in the breakfast sentence is what caused me to wonder if english is your first language.
ORIGINAL: Zor

Here for some of you who qualify my postings as entertainment instead of technically correct..

Why dont you come out and post some corrections ?
Could it be that you prefer to post degrading remarks and you do not know any better ?

Following is an example of misunderstanding _ _ _ _ and do not forget to blame me. I am the only one here who does not know how to write properly.

I wrote,
unquote

Someone read
I think I better go and have some breakfast before I get sick

the following was apparently not read
instead of being entertained by some of the postings in here

So the following question was asked
Why exactly are you going to get sick if you dont eat?

A typical example of misunderstanding.

Let me reword.
Since some of the postings in here are not entertaining and might get me sick, I think I better stop reading and go to have some breakfast.

Is that clearer ?

Since we cannot blame the fellows who lost two planes, can we return to any possible and logcal reasons why some hardware faults were the cause of the crashes ?

or should we consider this thread as having expired its topic ?

Zor

Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Doug and Dan,
Very good reads and it cleared a bunch of thingsup for me... I feel safe in my decision to purchase the 7c and it will fit the bill for most of my planes i plan on using it in.. After reading, I think I might look into a JR for some upcoming projects. The multiple receiversfeature would be a smart thing for a giant multiple engine type air planes that are in my future... Maybe between now and then, futaba will come up with something similar and have the best of both worlds. I have always favored futaba, nothing against JR, just a personal thing...

For what it's worth, Spektrum make a big noise about the diversity capability they have using satellite receivers.
Futaba does not need the added diversity because their system is not limited to two channels. The Spektrum system has to get that signal or it willloose the link. The Futaba system being constantly agile will simply move away from the intereference and find the signal.

Ask any of the guys flying large scale with Futaba, they don't have issues. The local Pilot-Rc distributor is a member of the club I fly at and he prefers Futaba ad advises his customers to use it. His reasoning is that the Receiver is installed and works extreemly well without requiring satellites in the wing which complicates the set up since those satelliete need to be located far enough awafrom the main Receiver to be effective.
Hence you will find ,all of the Frequency hoppers do not use more than two antennae and don;t use satellite receivers - they don't need them.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:37 PM
rcflip

Futaba has has issues, overheating receivers and the software bugs!!! JR has chaffed wires!!! Hitec has that external wire which can be tripped over, ever tried to fly a plane flat on your back!!!

I have said it once and will say it again and again it all depends on how you want to crash!!! be it from a lockout, a software bug, chaffed wire or from just a plane old ugly transmitter which makes yours eyes burn!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcflip

ever tried to fly a plane flat on your back!!!
Actually, yes. Many years ago I was flying a nice relaxing 2 meter glider. It ended up in a tree. Didn't say I was successful!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: TimBle

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Doug and Dan,
Very good reads and it cleared a bunch of thingsup for me... I feel safe in my decision to purchase the 7c and it will fit the bill for most of my planes i plan on using it in.. After reading, I think I might look into a JR for some upcoming projects. The multiple receiversfeature would be a smart thing for a giant multiple engine type air planes that are in my future... Maybe between now and then, futaba will come up with something similar and have the best of both worlds. I have always favored futaba, nothing against JR, just a personal thing...

For what it's worth, Spektrum make a big noise about the diversity capability they have using satellite receivers.
Futaba does not need the added diversity because their system is not limited to two channels. The Spektrum system has to get that signal or it willloose the link. The Futaba system being constantly agile will simply move away from the intereference and find the signal.

Ask any of the guys flying large scale with Futaba, they don't have issues. The local Pilot-Rc distributor is a member of the club I fly at and he prefers Futaba ad advises his customers to use it. His reasoning is that the Receiver is installed and works extreemly well without requiring satellites in the wing which complicates the set up since those satelliete need to be located far enough awafrom the main Receiver to be effective.
Hence you will find ,all of the Frequency hoppers do not use more than two antennae and don;t use satellite receivers - they don't need them.
That makes sense to me.. I have never had a problem with my futaba gear over the years, not saying it cant happen, just hasnt happened to me.. I will stick with them, they have always worked well for me....
Old 01-18-2011, 02:55 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

The big problem with 2.4 is just that....the part of the spectrum in use. 2.4 Ghz is indeed in the part of the radio spectrum called microwaves, but is is under the FCC part 15 rules for unlicensed devies which included millions of wireless home phones, wi fi routers, garage door openers, etc. The specific rules for part 15 state that the device must accept interference from any outside source.

It boils down to the fact that by using 2.4 you are playing in THE MOST CONGESTED PART OF THE SPECTRUM...PERIOD! The military has been using spread spectrum on a number of different freqs. for over 30 years...you think they rely on 2.4 for anything important?

Great technology, lousy place on the band to run it. At least the ENG frequencies used by TV news are all digital now. Imagine a hot wide band analog signal stepping all over your 2.4 link! [:@]
Old 01-18-2011, 03:35 PM
leah
My Feedback: (18)

Reading all of this that has been posted sure takes me back on all the old systems,orbit was the worest for other flyers
the transmitter did not have a shielded RF output coil. dont fly by to close it would swamp you.
Spectrum did get all the military contracts this time around from futaba but i would take that with a
grain of salt in picking a system.
The less connectors you can get by with the better i make my own ext and i run two rec in gaint scale
lots of people did on 72 and 2.4 is no different but you dont see that any more.Smart fly has a
power sport expander to do just that. dual batts and 4 switichs you can ck every thing one at
time and then range ck, to me small price to pay
Old 01-18-2011, 03:48 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: RogerParrett
Second, there IS modulation involved in sub communications. It's below 30 Hz.
While off the topic, I found this bit of information interesting and learned something new today. I would have bet the farm that electromagnetic radiation wouldn't work at such a low frequency but it seems that it does quite well if you are a nuclear superpower and have the necessary powerstation on hand to radiate the few lousy watts that can be heard around the world using 50+km of wet ground as your radiating element.

And I though my xxMhz antenna was long....

Some brand RX's brownout at higher voltages than others, some need a higher voltgae to come back alive and some take longer to boot back up. The early Futaba FASST's used to fall over in the heat, again not a 2.4 specific problem. There's no way if we grew up on 2.4 that manufacturers would be able to sell us on the "advantages" of "new" XXMhz narrowband systems.

Maybe with lots of new gadgets popping up on the 2.4 band, 2.4 can't provide the solid link in certain areas that it can under normal conditions. I know my wireless network card in my PC varies it's strength and quality (and bandwidth) depending on the day and what other traffic is zipping around. I prefer the concept of channel hopping and I'm lucky my prefered manufactures uses that.

As for speed and response, I have a sneaking suspicion that my 14MZ tries to predict the stick position and send that to the servo, a bit like a quarterback throwing the ball to where the receiver is going to be by the time the ball get there. It knows how long it takes for the servo to get the message and about how fast a servo can move, so if it can guess where the stick will be by the time the time the servo gets the message and does something about it, it can send the predicted position, not hard to do at all.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Nitro-Tom

Mustang40

DO NOT forget to look at the Hi-tec Aurora 9 - as I said in a post in a new user thread...that is the best thing out now....period.....best value for the money

It has telemetry (Nice to have, tells you your RX battery level under load in the air) and has audiable low voltage alarms, etc....touch screen (I think)

VERY NICE ......I fly JR, and regardless of what folks say.....it works perfect for me.....you are invited to see me use it any time

If I were to do it again today I would get the A9....but......since I am up to my ears in Rx units, I am sticking with my almost 5 year old Dx7....

YOU on the other hand could go Futaba, JR/Spektrum/Hi-tec and not go wrong either way.....Stay away from older radios (Used or oththwise) that need a 2.4 module in the back.....not that they don't work, just more to deall with.....a Native 2.4 Tx unit would be my choice....

Either way, ENJOY and the benifits of 2.4 are good to have.......trust me, even though it does not look like it from reading things here

I also recommend to run modern digital servos on 6 volts....weather it be NiMH, LiPo regulated, or Life (A123 - same thing) just use 6 Volts, WHY? The better question is Why Not?!

Enjoy and good luck......

Old 01-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: DougV

Mustang,

Here's some info. Trust me, spend the time to read it: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/spreadspectrum01.shtml

Then go here: http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/24scanner.htm

By the way, the 7C is an excellent radio. I had 2 of them, I now have the 8FG and 12FG.

Hope this helps,

Doug.

DUDE - This guy is GREAT!!!!

http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/index.htm

100% DEAD RIGHT ON!!!!!

I see everything he writes as 100% factual and the way I read it, it say Spektrum is rock solid, which has been my experience....now I know other do not have time to waist and "Say" they crashed, so there are folks who have had an issue.......

I just wonder if the root cause on a case by case basic.....IF it was ever determined and kept track of.....what would the data show?

I suspect faulty servos, using lots of power, batteries not delivering their rating, bad connections, bad switches, etc......

SO my thing is go 110% over everything has been good to date (knock on wood) and I love the spektrum analyzer he uses.....I would use my laptop at the field to make sure I select 2 channels FAR apart if I could find a good afordable solution for that.....do you know if they sell that unit they are showing there????

PM me if you want, and thanks for that link!!!

Tom -
Old 01-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Nitro-Tom

The results of heavy leakage or interference from OTHER 2.4 sources, such as over powered blue tooth devices and 2.4 wireless video, 802.11 Computer hardware.....all good sources of things we do not want at our field when we fly 2.4!

And I am going to be MUCH more carefull about flying with guys with wireless "Stuff"....I just saw a FPV at my field, 3 planes actually, with live video downlink, GPS, etc....

The guy "Said" they were on 5Ghz or some other band.....but I am going to be more carefull of that knowing NOW how "Some" FRV us the 2.4 band for video....not good.....

Just my 2 cents - Peace out

Edited by Nitro-Tom to remove in-acurate statements about Magnatron from a microwave as a source of interference.....Want my post to be "technically acurate" = Thanks to dirtybird for fixing me up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.