Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX8 vs. Futaba vs. Airtronics

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:38 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spektrum DX8 vs. Futaba vs. Airtronics

Thanks for the infro Bob,kind of figured there was some sort of power source for memory back up..
Old 05-02-2011, 04:35 PM
skyraider71

First off, I admit that I'm a biased Futaba guy. That been said, I have witnessed and heard
of many cases of binding issues and signal losses with the Spektrum equipment.
IMHO the Futaba T8FG is the better 8ch system.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:12 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: skyraider71

First off, I admit that I'm a biased Futaba guy. That been said, I have witnessed and heard
of many cases of binding issues and signal losses with the Spektrum equipment.
IMHO the Futaba T8FG is the better 8ch system.
I believe the Futaba T8FG is a fine radio. In Upstate NY, where I fly, we have many more JR/Spektrum radios than Futaba, Hitec, or Airtronics. That does not reflect on the quality of Futaba radios, or any other brand, as I believe they are all equally as good. I flew Futaba radios from 1978 to 2006. When Spektrum came out with the 2.4 RF Module, I wanted 2.4 and bought an XP9303 so I could fly 72Mhz and 2.4 with 9 Proportional channels. If Futaba had come out with 2.4 sooner, I might have gone in that direction. Many other of my friends did the same thing as I did. Some had JR radios already.

We have had very few issues with JR/Spektrum 2.4 and none that reflect on the quality and reliability of these radios. We have some JR sponsored pilots in our club and in the area and they have not had problems. Many of us travel around our state and to other states, all summer, attending various model meets. We do not have problems with our radios there, either.

There just is no evidence, that I or my fellow pilots have seen, that there is a problem with JR/Spektrum 2.4. So why would we believe rumors that there is a problem.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:30 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rumor campaign about Spektrum wsa a carryover from the yammering about JR vs Futaba - from previous times
What is a common thread - is the lack of knowledge that accompanies these comments
The lack of understanding power requirements for computer radios still persists
The extreme disparity of sales between brands - also wildly influences commentary.
We see very few Futaba 2.4 radios or Airtronics -or any other brands -
The Spektrum simply owns that business -here .
As for problems ?
Actually few if any, amongst all those 2.4 radios I have seen in this area
ALL brands seem to provide a solid 2.4 hookup- Features however seem to greatly influence buyers choices.
In reading redundant postings by dissatisfied posters (many are simply posting heresay ) I find little or no credibility -based on how the systems actually operate.
The parallel with the Toyota suddden acceleration hysteria is very close.
Those who post "what if " crap-just to elicit a response are far too common.
Much like "what would you buy" polls - which are less reliable than a political poll.
I enjoy reading real q&A postings
The Horse puckey I see far too often is really silly.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:27 PM
BelAirBob

If there are ten times more Spektrums out there, there will probably be 10 times more problems. Most crashes and accidents are related to other issues. Don;t think anyone can go wrong with any of the top brands.

bob
Old 05-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Mitchell-RCU
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has an EEPROM not a battery. The problem is if the battery gets low the data can be lost. taking the battery out of the transmitter is not a problem. What happened to my friends was we were setting up an airplane and the audible warning did not work and the battery got down to about 6V. It erased everything. In the words of the Horizon Hobby service tech it didn't even know it was a transmitter.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:14 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

EEPROMs do not require batteries to retain their data.

Andy
Old 05-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

EEPROMs do not require batteries to retain their data.

Andy
Yeah that's true, once it's been written to....

Isn't the issue that the data gets corrupted on tx shutdown when the system runs out of electrical power while trying to write to the EEPROM or isn't that where the model memories are stored? In any event since the radios write to the memory on shut down I was under the impression that the problem was caused during that attempted write and the data getting corrupted?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:56 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Pete