Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX8 vs. Futaba vs. Airtronics

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:11 PM
jstrach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX8 vs. Futaba vs. Airtronics

ORIGINAL: rmh

Hearsay info is really no info
WHAT? The entire forum structure is technically "hearsay"....?! The thing about sharing information is you can decide if you want to listen to it or ignore it.

There is benefit.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:57 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah - I see the problem-
You feel any info irrespective of scource is relevant info

The problem with that approach is that subject matter can quickly become distorted
A classic recent example , was is the Toyota unintended acceleration issue
The original issue was "unexplained throttle activation.
The Toyota people quickly determined that mechanical interferrence was the prime issue
But the press got ahold of this and seeing it as a potential source of increased readership- stuck in any and all info -no matter how bogus it may be
And -most was bogus.
Proven bogus info - documented to be bogus
Reader interest went wild -
Why?
fear of the unknown and interest in seeing how Toyota could be toppeled from it's position of leader in sales and quality image.
Much stuff published here follows exactly that approach - innuendo - whispering comments - second,third party "reports "on n on.
The forum could and can provide helpful data but BoSht does sell and mysterious BS is even more appealing to the masses .
Frankly I understand your interest in seeing lots of replies to your thread -but I don't see it as having positive value
There - yet another opinion.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:49 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember, there is so much stuff on the internet that is not true. It is impossible to know what is true and what is not. You see the endless political emails that go around that turn out to be false. I would go to a few flying fields and get first hand information on these radios.... in fact, we all may be robots writing these posts.....

bob
Old 04-07-2011, 04:59 PM
jstrach

The original issue was "unexplained throttle activation.
The Toyota people quickly determined that mechanical interferrence was the prime issue
The Toyota issue is a great example. People thought the electronic throttle in the Prius was somehow misbehaving causing undesired acceleration. Toyota (and NASA) found no fault in the system, but determined that the floormat was somehow causing the throttle to stick. So the electronic throttle wasn't to blame... but poor design on the accelerator and floormat was. But, for people hurt or killed in the resulting undesired acceleration - they don't really care what caused the problem. Regardless, the problem still existed. No? Toyota as a corporation paid dearly for it through damaged reputation.

Totally... it's all opinion. My point is that there has been enough mumbling about Spektrum radios losing their binding that - whatever the reason or explanation- it should be "considered". But it is America, you can ignore it if you want. Clearly you're a Spektrum fan. Go buy a Prius, but I won't. And chances are I'm not leaning towards a Spektrum radio either.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:49 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mitchell-RCU

Do you know where on HH website you saw about the upgrade on the 9503? I called them back when it was first announced about the DSMX and they were not going to do it free. I sure hope they have changed their mind.

Mitchell
Mitchell,

Over in the SEFF forum on RCGroups there is a post about adding possibly DSMX to your radio at SEFF. Seeing you're in Georgia, it might be a good opportunity for you. It's not free, but you don't have to wait for shipping.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420055

Andy

Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 PM
BelAirBob

Andy, is there anything you know or can say about a DX7 replacement or will it continue with a DSMX upgrade?

Thank you

bob
Old 04-07-2011, 06:14 PM
rmh

ORIGINAL: jstrach

The original issue was ''unexplained throttle activation.
The Toyota issue is a great example. People thought the electronic throttle in the Prius was somehow misbehaving causing undesired acceleration. Toyota (and NASA) found no fault in the system, but determined that the floormat was somehow causing the throttle to stick. So the electronic throttle wasn't to blame... but poor design on the accelerator and floormat was. But, for people hurt or killed in the resulting undesired acceleration - they don't really care what caused the problem. Regardless, the problem still existed. No? Toyota as a corporation paid dearly for it through damaged reputation.

Totally... it's all opinion. My point is that there has been enough mumbling about Spektrum radios losing their binding that - whatever the reason or explanation - it should be ''considered''. But it is America, you can ignore it if you want. Clearly you're a Spektrum fan. Go buy a Prius, but I won't. And chances are I'm not leaning towards a Spektrum radio either.
I appreciate your honesty-
You are negatively inclined toward Spektrum equipment-for unstated reason.
I have enjoyed positive use of my Spektrum equipment since it was first made available
As for the Toyota problem still existing?
No- there never was any coverup or hidden faults. I feel that the ill will many helped contribute for personal reasons was beneath contempt.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:49 AM
tarsier

To the OP, I recently purchased the DX8 and am so far happy with it, though I've only used it about 10 times so my long term impression may change. My requirements were very different from your's though: 1) I don't need the telemetry feature and have not used it, 2) I wanted a radio that would work with all the ParkZone, Eflite, etc BNFmodels, but with 6+ channels for largerkit builtgliders and planes. Cost for the TX only was $330 shipped, so the price was right for me, too.

Good luck with your decision making!

Edit to add: I have no hands-on experience with the other transmitters you are considering.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:07 AM
jstrach

I appreciate your honesty-
You are negatively inclined toward Spektrum equipment-for unstated reason.
Incorrect; not negatively inclined. Istill use my DX5e and to date Ihave not encountered any issues.

But if I'm going to dump $400 on a new radio, I will probably be leaning towards another brand. This shouldn't impact you.

You are pro-Spektrum, and that's fine. But you making claims of "unstated reason" does not result in making issues disappear.

You can like whatever radio you want; that's totally fine.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:29 AM
rmh

Did not mean to tear up your thread -
carry on
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 AM
flipy

I'm also seeking for a new radio.
I just fly gliders (at the moment), and right now I have a Futaba T6EX.
The main reason to change is that any reciever costs around 80€ around here, and that's too much.
I've been googling around and found Spektrum with its DX7 (and SE, but don't know the difference) and DX8.
I really like the telemetry stuff, since I'm planning to try FPV when I learn a little bit more.

However, the Hitec Aurora 9 seems to fit my needs also.

Anyone with gliders could give 2c about that?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2011, 12:13 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

For the money ,features and based on 20 years experiece with the company my vote goes for the new Airtronics 10 channel . I like the Spektrum too but need at least 9 channels. I sure would not get into a debate because all 3 brands are great radios.

Marley is watching you...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22498.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1601469  
Old 04-30-2011, 02:30 PM
rmh

Who was that!

Name:	Us53991.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	1601537  
Old 04-30-2011, 02:31 PM
rmh

grrrrr
Old 04-30-2011, 03:00 PM
ramcfarland

I was ready to buy a new radio when "Rebel" my Golden of 13 years passed [&o] so I drove to Leesburg Va. and spent my $$ for this rascel!

I love it here is another before the fun police strike...

Name:	Ay74217.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1601548  
Old 05-01-2011, 05:16 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: flipy

I'm also seeking for a new radio.
I just fly gliders (at the moment), and right now I have a Futaba T6EX.
The main reason to change is that any reciever costs around 80€ around here, and that's too much.
I've been googling around and found Spektrum with its DX7 (and SE, but don't know the difference) and DX8.
I really like the telemetry stuff, since I'm planning to try FPV when I learn a little bit more.

However, the Hitec Aurora 9 seems to fit my needs also.

Anyone with gliders could give 2c about that?

Thanks!
The DX7SE was a special edition for heli and 3D pilots who needed low latency and 11ms frame rate. You don't need that for a glider.

The DX8 does not have a native glider mode, however there are SD files being swapped on the web and official Spektrum versions via the Spektrum Community site that provide all the mixing you need except a curve mix for the elevator. The DX10t is a true glider radio; it might be worth waiting for that if you are wanting to use Spektrum.

Andy
Old 05-01-2011, 11:21 AM
keyman
My Feedback: (22)

I think its really sad and CHEAP that some of the 9503 are not included in the free upgrade.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:36 PM
ramcfarland

ORIGINAL: keyman

I think its really sad and CHEAP that some of the 9503 are not included in the free upgrade.

I never gave this a thought but as I mentioned in a previous post I was indeed happy with Airtronics service and just how well they handled the "1991" up dates to existing Airtronics (AM) systems, during that time I had their Championship series 7 channel AM system and it was bullet proof. before and after the Airtronics "factory udate" I did not know there was a question as to up dating a JR systems 9393 Tx to 2.4 -I'm curious to know if I can have my existing JR 9303 tranny changed to 2.4??
Old 05-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Mitchell-RCU
My Feedback: (49)

Yes it is very sad. What good is a three year warranty if they can't even do the free upgrade on a four month old 9503? I also found out from a friends misfortune that they don't have a memory battery either. His transmitter battery got low and it lost all data.

Mitchell
Old 05-01-2011, 05:50 PM
rmh

Yes it is very sad. What good is a three year warranty if they can't even do the free upgrade on a four month old 9503? I also found out from a friends misfortune that they don't have a memory battery either. His transmitter battery got low and it lost all data.

Mitchell
I can't decide if I should laugh or cry
misinformation or disinformation.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Mitchell-RCU

I'd do which ever one makes you happy.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 AM
ramcfarland

Mitchell
I can't decide if I should laugh or cry
misinformation or disinformation.
WHAT !? no back up on the 9503 memory if Tx battery goes down. Well I changed my 9503 TX battery last year and the computer did not loose data can you clarify or should I post on the JR mfg. forum ??
Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 AM
Mitchell-RCU

Post it where you like. Horizon Hobby tech said that the transmitter did not have a battery for memory. If the battery voltage gets low it can erase the memory. The one i'm talking about did not even retain basic transmitter function.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 PM
ramcfarland

I did not wish to offend you- Well in any event I keep my tx charged however still think I will post on JRs forum as when I replaced my 9393 Tx battery I lost no data - but later I'm celebrating ...hic hic [8D]

Old 05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
BelAirBob

If you purchased your JR 9503 on or after November 1, the upgrade is free according to the Horizon Website. Transmitters have to have either a "clock" battery or flash memory to store the programs otherwise they would be lost while changing out batteries etc. Someone will know the answer. I lost programs a few years ago when I had a dead clock battery.....a small one like in PC;s to keep the time etc when there is no power. If someone gives you an answer, let us know.....

bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.