Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why are 10 channel radios so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:22 AM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why are 10 channel radios so expensive?

If we look at the incremental cost to go up from 5 channels per increased channel up to to about 9 channels on a radio, why is the incremental price to go from 8 or 9 channels to 10 (or 12) such a quantum leap?

I don't want to open the controversy as to which radio manufacturer does what, but there certainly appears to be a big jump when considering the majors.

Larry
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why are 10 channel radios so expensive?

ORIGINAL: phakur

If we look at the incremental cost to go up from 5 channels per increased channel up to to about 9 channels on a radio, why is the incremental price to go from 8 or 9 channels to 10 (or 12) such a quantum leap?

I don't want to open the controversy as to which radio manufacturer does what, but there certainly appears to be a big jump when considering the majors.

Larry
I am sure that the added programming accounts for most of the increase in cost as well as better hardware.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:07 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Because people that need more channels are willing to pay more however I think the Airtronics SD10G is reasonably priced.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:00 PM
ArchNemesis

There are probably several reasons, but as was alluded to earlier, most of the time there is additional software included with an increase in Channels.  It would seem that most of the manufacturers make a feature leap around the 9/10 channel point that requires more expensive IC's to handle the programming, more switches, more sophisticated displays, etc.   

To be fair, that's not uncommon in any industry.  Camera's are similar...there's a break point in cost/features once you cross a certain threshold.

As I've stated before, I'm biased, but I think you'll find the Airtronics SD-10 to be a very affordable , VERY complete 10 channel radio.  It's more expensive than the SD6 for sure, but very minimally, and appropriately so given the significant increase in functionality. 

Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 PM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: phakur

Larry
Simple economics. It makes little sense that they're going to increase costs incrementally as per the number of channels, but instead as per total unit sales.
And thus, if 12-channel radios sold at the rate of 5-channel radios their comparative costs would be more in line. But since lesser-channel radios sell at a rate likely 10-50 to 1 in comparison to the higher-channeled units, not even talking into account the increased software and assenmbly costs involved in the more complex radios, there's no way for manufacturers to justify costs on an item with so little (comparative) call for.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:10 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

The Futaba 8FG Super is a 14 channel (12 proportional), not expensive, so that kind of throws a wrench into things.