Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Futaba 8J

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Futaba 8J

+1

and for now there is just a lot of confusion because this is the transition.
I have no doubt Futaba or rather Hobbico will expand their Rx-R to something resembling a Tx ready (Tx-R??) and Flight Ready (Fx-R) or RTF in hobby speak)
The trend is obvious. Parkflying is where the bread and butter lies. Hobbico offers Rx-R and RTF already but in fairly disjointed packages.
The cheaper FHSS systems allows them get a Futaba system into more hands and those people will upgrade.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:45 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: TimBle

+1

and for now there is just a lot of confusion because this is the transition.
I have no doubt Futaba or rather Hobbico will expand their Rx-R to something resembling a Tx ready (Tx-R??) and Flight Ready (Fx-R) or RTF in hobby speak)
The trend is obvious. Parkflying is where the bread and butter lies. Hobbico offers Rx-R and RTF already but in fairly disjointed packages.
The cheaper FHSS systems allows them get a Futaba system into more hands and those people will upgrade.

The idea of upgrade - is a pretty old ,common approach to marketing- cars have been sold this way for a 100 years .
I would venture that "upgrade' is not as common as it was at one time- In cars it is proven that upgrade within a brand is nowhere what it once was.
In the radios - I see it also fading away- simply becase it will be seen that a very involved, mix capable radio can be done very inexpensively -(the chip availabliity provides the hardware now.)
The RF link - touted as sport or introductory -is a myth.
A good link is a good link . the price of present RX is, in some cases , absurd.
As long as the perceived value is there - guys will pay for the perception- but I don't see that case lasting for very much longer. In any brand
Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM
TimBle

agreed. Rx have been overpriced since 2.4's introduction. The advent of cheap and reliable Rx and T  from the chinese has turned perception of " you get what you pay for" into a myth. Sure those brands have issues but the they respond quickly and push things forward.
The only way the big guys can stay in the game long term is to introduce more cost effective options. Futaba seems to realise that but they also know that they have a strong brand and they won't give it away for a few yen.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 AM
rmh

agreed. Rx have been overpriced since 2.4's introduction. The advent of cheap and reliable Rx and T from the chinese has turned perception of '' you get what you pay for'' into a myth. Sure those brands have issues but the they respond quickly and push things forward.
The only way the big guys can stay in the game long term is to introduce more cost effective options. Futaba seems to realise that but they also know that they have a strong brand and they won't give it away for a few yen.
Strong brand names-
Remember ProLine? - the best - and demonstrably so when it was first sold
Remember Packard?- the best car of pre W11
Admiral TV?
The list goes on - If you ain't where the market is - you are soon just another brand name. No matter how good you were.
Look at the Blackberry-
In today's marketplace , evolution is now revolution
Old 10-17-2011, 11:38 AM
TimBle

those "strong" brands didn't change with the times.

I think what we are seeing with Futaba is a large corporate changing with the times kicking and screaming.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 PM
GerKonig

those ''strong'' brands didn't change with the times.

I think what we are seeing with Futaba is a large corporate changing with the times kicking and screaming.

For one thing, my first radio was a Futaba, I was around 20, and that happened 40 years ago. My favorite power plant was OS, and those are still around:-) They must have been adapting wit the times:-)

Gerry
Old 10-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Anyone actually know the price of this unit? I'm hoping between $300-$325.00. The 6J has been selling for as low as $179.00.

Jim
Old 10-17-2011, 07:29 PM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the replacement for 7C FASST. However there are many FASST 7CH Rx's still out there operating onnew Tx's so Futaba will retain compatibility to these Rx with current Tx's

Futaba has long ago realised where their gaps are. Its not technology. Its about price point so they are producing radio's with more features at lower cost. The T8FG was the first product of this change in direction. It was followed by the T6J and next year the T8J replaces the T7C.
The 18MZ is of course a no holds barred all out technical tour de force yet will sell for a similar price to the 14MZ but with more features

Will the T10C be replaced? I doubt it but I have been wrong before.

I think by end of 2012 you will see their Rc airplane/heli/glider range looking like this

T6J S-FHSS
T8J S-FHSS
T8FGS (name likely to change to T14FG) S-FHSS/FASST/FASSTest
T12FG Possible upgrade to 16channels therefore becoming T16FG S-FHSS/FASST/FASSTest
T18MZ S-FHSS/FASST/FASSTest

There is a gap between T8J and T8FGS so that may be filled in 2013 by a ''T10J''. However a radio to fit in between the T8FG and T12FG is more likely before the T12FG is retired in 2013.

Remember that the t*FG doe snot compete with a DX8 of XG8. It is a more highly featured radio.
Does the current 8FG support FHSS? Or is this just speculation for future offerings? I bought a used 10C just about the time the 8FG was coming out, and I like it fine, but am disappointed that the 8FG then got the upgrade to 14ch capability...day late and a dollar short for me, as usual. I see an 8FG Super in my future, but sure would like the FHSS capability for more cheap receivers and/or whatever version of BNF/PNP that Futaba comes up with.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy
Does the current 8FG support FHSS?
No, it does not. What Futaba has planned down the road is anyone's guess.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:50 PM
TimBle

It was mentioned on another forum that the 8FG, 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ will get software upgrades to allow for Futaba FHSS/S-FHSS compatibility around the time the 18MZ is launched. So I'd expect it to be February 2012 if it happens.
There is also chat that in the german forums that the 8FG is upgradable to FASSTest so that is also due early 2012.
If it proves true then the 8FG is really the Golf GTi of the Tx world - superb performance, versatility and excellent value.
I just hope it all pans out.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:41 AM
ton2di
My Feedback: (182)

My guess is that Futaba introduced the S-FHSS to minimize sales decline of lower level tx/rx due to other manufacturer's "futaba compatible" receivers. It might also apply to the S-BUS system whereas futaba servos are the only ones that can be used. I think it is more of a corporate strategy to protect their products.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:48 AM
TimBle

correction, other brnad servo's can be used with S-bus as long as you use the Decoder cables and assign these addresses with the S-bus servo setting tool.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:13 AM
ton2di

Correction noted. I just don't see the appeal of buying more stuff/decoder to use a non S-BUS futaba servo to utilize up to 14CH on say, an 8FG. BTW, I own both a futaba 7C and a 10C as well.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:23 AM
TimBle

I agree, I'd rather just get the servo's.

However if you use a R6014HS yo can still get 14 channels with the T8FG.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:27 AM
ton2di

That's a great idea... instead of buying multiple decoders. THanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:17 AM
Silent-AV8R

It was mentioned on another forum that the 8FG, 12FG, 12Z and 14MZ will get software upgrades to allow for Futaba FHSS/S-FHSS compatibility around the time the 18MZ is launched. So I'd expect it to be February 2012 if it happens.
There is also chat that in the german forums that the 8FG is upgradable to FASSTest so that is also due early 2012.
If it proves true then the 8FG is really the Golf GTi of the Tx world - superb performance, versatility and excellent value.

I have seen the same info on the Robbe site regarding updates, but I have not seen nor heard of any dates associated with that. In addition, I have not seen, nor heard, any of that information coming out of the US distributor. For now all we have are some rumors and guesses.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:30 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

agreed. Rx have been overpriced since 2.4's introduction. The advent of cheap and reliable Rx and T from the chinese has turned perception of '' you get what you pay for'' into a myth. Sure those brands have issues...
Seems like a contradiction. Is it a myth or do they have issues? The chinese are great at reverse engineering technology, ie., stealing. Futaba sunk years and huge amounts of capital into developing and marketing and needs to recoup that, hence, expensive receivers. Sure the actual cost of manufacturing is next to nothing, but they need to pay for research and development of past and future innovations. The chinese don't. They simply wait around for someone else to spend the time and money then steal it.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:32 AM
TimBle

Only a Sith talks in absolutes

Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 AM
wyo69cowboy
My Feedback: (2)

I hope this is true, but am not holding my breath. I was excited to see the cheap 4ch rx when the FHSS first came out for a few minutes, until I saw that they were not compatible with my existing Fasst system I'm guessing Futaba will wait as long as possible before making compatibility, so they can sell as many as possible of each system, then get us to buy the latest, greatest version that does both...
Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

agreed. Rx have been overpriced since 2.4's introduction. The advent of cheap and reliable Rx and T from the chinese has turned perception of '' you get what you pay for'' into a myth. Sure those brands have issues...
Seems like a contradiction. Is it a myth or do they have issues? The chinese are great at reverse engineering technology, ie., stealing. Futaba sunk years and huge amounts of capital into developing and marketing and needs to recoup that, hence, expensive receivers. Sure the actual cost of manufacturing is next to nothing, but they need to pay for research and development of past and future innovations. The chinese don't. They simply wait around for someone else to spend the time and money then steal it.

One thing that the cheap Chinese clones and ripoffs demonstrate is that for many people the only thing that matters is price. They will accept lower quality and disregard the ethics of the situation as long as it is nice and cheap!! The Chinese understand this fully.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:06 AM
TimBle

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

I hope this is true, but am not holding my breath. I was excited to see the cheap 4ch rx when the FHSS first came out for a few minutes, until I saw that they were not compatible with my existing Fasst system I'm guessing Futaba will wait as long as possible before making compatibility, so they can sell as many as possible of each system, then get us to buy the latest, greatest version that does both...

The presentation Ihave (In German) indicates that what Ipostulate above is true. Seeing is believing but feeling is the gospel truth.
We will know for sure by Feb next year but I doubt Futaba wants to be 4 yrs with telelmetry to the masses and have step out of its own line of making high end radio compatible with their low end offerings.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:53 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

One thing that the cheap Chinese clones and ripoffs demonstrate is that for many people the only thing that matters is price. They will accept lower quality and disregard the ethics of the situation as long as it is nice and cheap!! The Chinese understand this fully.
Yes the Chinese do rip off designs, OS/Magnum, DA/DL, 3W/3MM and it goes on. I just purchased 2 10C's and 6 RX's for a total of over 1500.00, while I was picking it up, some guy in the LHS new to the hobby boasted about the money I just wasted because he just bought an 8 ch 2.4 for 59.95 from Hobby King, I told him good luck
Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 AM
TimBle

good on ya!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM
rmh

I think the idea that the Chinese rip offs (and that's what they are) will be inferior in performance is simply wistful thinking
The Chinese are coming on line in many fields at a rate which is unprecedented.
They build cities to produce a product!!
In musical instruments as well as extremely good engine components , they are right up with the best now.
The RC market is peanuts in the ovrall scheme of things BUT make no mistake about it -if they wanted to do a knock off of the best RCstuff - they are fully capable.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Silent-AV8R

There have been more than a few reports of testing done by people that show the Chinese stuff does not perform as well as the real deal. Even your favorite brand got hit by some inferior stuff sold looking like the real thing. No doubt that the Chinese can produce first quality items when they want to, but I suspect that the QA/QC of cheap RC model rip offs may not be the same as they use for many other products.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.