Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Can I put a channel 52 Rx crystal into a channel 12 Rx?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Can I put a channel 52 Rx crystal into a channel 12 Rx?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 12:57 AM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I put a channel 52 Rx crystal into a channel 12 Rx?

Been doing some reading at the Futaba website. Basically, I want to know if I can replace my channel 12 crystal in the FM Rx and replace it with a channel 52? Futaba says that the rx's are tuned to either the lower half (channel 11-35) or the upper half (36-60) which leads me to believe I can't do this. Basically, I'm trying to get all my planes onto channel 52 so I can use one radio and wanted to double-check on this. I assume if I can't do this then I'd have to buy a new receiver with a 52 crystal. correct? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:46 AM
Mike Marnik

Default Correct

Correct you cannot put a channel 52 rx crystal in a rx that previously had a channel 12 crystal in it because that mean the rx was low band and you need a high band rx if you want it to be channel 52.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:03 AM
Joatmon

Default jzinckgra

You can swap crystals in the receivers, but there is a huge disparity of opinion on this. You also run the possibility of being black-balled at the local field if some of the high dollar flyers find out.

The sensible thing would be to send it to Futaba with the alternate crystal and have them retune it, fairly reasonable cost.

Go here: http://www.hobbyservices.com/
Old 08-24-2003, 02:36 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know only Futaba has this high band low band distinction... As already stated -- your assumption that you shouldn't replace a channel 12 crystal with a channel 52 crystal is correct. I think you can send your receivers to Hobby Services or Radio South and get them retuned for high band. I would call them an see if this is possible and how much it will cost. Another solution is to replace them with Hitec receivers which don't care what channel crystal you put in them...
Old 08-24-2003, 06:06 AM
Lynx

It's legal and possible and will work, however do an EXTENSIVE range check to be sure. Futaba tunes their radio systems to the middle of 1 half of the radio spectrum for RC use. Everyone else tunes to the middle of the WHOLE spectrum. This means if you change crystals in a Futaba low system with futaba low crystals you will have less 'drift' problems than in other systems, but if you change from low to high crystals in the same system you will INCREASE drift problems. The only person this can hurt is YOU, because if you put a high channel crystal in a low channel receiver the RF stage isn't tuned to filter out harmonic or distortion as well as if it had the right 'half' crystal in it. This still may be no worse than changing the same channels in another system. In the real world this isn't an issue, accept with interference. If you decide to do it and anyone gives you a problem with it, tell them to bugger off it's the RX it can't hurt them.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:14 AM
RCLIVIN
My Feedback: (46)

Actually before I knew much about futaba radio equip. I put a low band crystal in a high band reciever & flew the plane for quiet some time with no ill effects to the plane. But I was flying on our farm & not around any spectators, if your plane does display some interference with a crystal of the wrong band you could be putting spectators in harms way. After learning about the equip. I was using I switched the crystals back the right way.

Gil
Old 08-24-2003, 10:36 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Thanks guys. I think I'll do the sensible thing and just replace the receiver.