Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Newbie Servo Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Servo Questions.

Bill,

You are not programming the transmitter, but rather setting the adjustments. Kind of like setting up your Windows preferences on a new computer.

One example: What do you do if you pull back on the elevator stick on the transmitter, but unfortunately the elevator on the airplane deflects down (because of the mechanical geometry)? In the old days, you would have to change the geometry of the servo/pushrod/control horn linkages on the airplane. Nowadays, you simply "reverse" the servo movement within the transmitter via "programming." Same idea for rudder and aileron movements.

Kurt
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: rgburrill
But do make sure they have a connector that fits your receiver. It is frustrating as all get out if you buy servos with Futaba J connectors but you receiver uses Airtronics connectors. You can use them if you know how but it's a pain.
Yeah I was wondering about the Servos to Rx compatibility.. I wasn't sure if Servos all had a universal connector or what?
Actually it only takes a few seconds to trim the orientation tab off the Futaba connectors if needed to fit JR/Spektrum and Airtronics receivers.
Pete
Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 PM
BillinIndiana

OK, I get what you mean there.. Is that about all you can change? That is one thing that took me awhile to get use to on the XBOX RC-Sim game... Down is Up and all that.. I wouldn't change that now.. however...Haha
Old 09-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Bozarth

Bill,

The sim games can mess you up - for airplanes, pulling the stick back towards your chest is the standard to make the plane climb. Hold it there long enough and the plane will loop (assuming it has enough power).

Pushing the throttle stick foward adds power - as if you were stepping on the gas.

You can also change how much output (servo travel) occurs when you move the stick. Let's say you pull the transmitter's elevator stick back and the elevator on the plane deflects upward (correct direction this time) but deflects way too much (this is something an experienced flyer might recognize prior to flying). You can reduce the amount that the servo moves by reducing the travel value in the transmitter. This would be labelled either the "ATV" or "AFR" menu setting, depending on the radio brand. Basically you are adjusting the sensitivity.

You can also offset the neutral position of the servo via the "subtrim" menu (same result as moving the trim button on the transmitter). You can also adjust the linearity of the servo movement compared to your movement of the stick.

There is even more in the more complex transmitters.

Kurt
Old 09-11-2012, 04:57 PM
BillinIndiana

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

Bill,

The sim games can mess you up - for airplanes, pulling the stick back towards your chest is the standard to make the plane climb. Hold it there long enough and the plane will loop (assuming it has enough power).

Pushing the throttle stick foward adds power - as if you were stepping on the gas.

Kurt
Yep thats the way this XBOX RC-Sim is.. That's what I meant by "Up is Down" you push up on the right analog stick of the XBOX controller and the plane goes down and vice versa... The left analog stick is the throttle "Up is more gas" which I guess also makes the XBOX controller an Mode 2.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Bozarth

Yep Bill, Mode 2 it is. The most common config and the default for most transmitters.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:44 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

i just recentely purchased a spektrum dx8 and i am very satisfied with it price was good and it has countless abilities. i will tell you from experience buy the most radio you can afford and it will grow with you , glad to see you are flying 4 channel it will make you a better pilot have fun and andy is correct most servos are great for your kadet any welcome and have loads of fun !!
Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yeah I really don't have any idea how to begin to program a TX.... I don't even know why you program one? I did meet up with a local RC plane club and it's members seem pretty nice.. I think they might be as excited for me as I am about beginning this hobby.. At least this was my 1st impression..
Hanging out for an afternoon with someone willing to spend time to help you out will be invaluable.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:38 AM
BillinIndiana

I picked up my servos for my trainer yesterday.. I just went with the Spektrum A6060. I still need the rest of the radio, but this will keep me building for a little while.
What all can be programmed on say the Spektrum DX8 compared to the Spektrum DX6i ? Or even an DX7 ?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 PM
jmdairplane

dont use cheap servos stick with good brands like futaba jr hitec or spectrum or e-flite stay away from off brand servos its not worth it when your your plane is in the air. thats my opinion.good luck.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:51 AM
snuts

Keep in good contact with your local club. Let a few of the members know what you are thinking, and doing. Most likely someone has a good set of servo's. Another may have a transmitter suitable for the first year, or two for sale. I've always found club members, everywhere that are more than willing to share advice, and the odd used parts. Successful clubs are that way because of people. Successful clubs promote success through people, then numbers.
Yes, as you progress in the hobby you will become more exposed to different equipment, and will want to upgrade. By starting with good advice, and affordable, reliable equipment. You will experiance success, and grow. In two years you will be shopping for a new transmitter, airframe, maybe a first or second gasser.
It is your new hobby, enjoy it. Share with the local club/members. We all benifit from successful modellers and their glee.
Seasons Greatings.

-Snuts-

($100 in the stocking will sure buy some great servo's!)
Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 PM
VetteV12

I went through the same deciding procces your are, last year. I tossed around the idea of a DX6i because it was more affordable but everything about the DX8 is better. It has more programability, a better feel (has a rubber-ish backing on it), comes with a rechargable NiMh battery pack, and when I bought mine it came with an AR6210, AR8000, and some park flyer reciever. The other reason I chose it is because of the roller for selecting different menus and it works with all the Horizon BNF's that I planned on buying. Go on youtube and watch a bunch of videos that compare them; however, take the videos with a grain of salt. It's an obvious choice that the DX8 will be better, the pay for what you get truely holds meaning in the RC world.