Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Need help to find the smallest full range receiver?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need help to find the smallest full range receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 03:49 PM
zoomzoooie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to find the smallest full range receiver?

I need help to find the smallest receiver.

I am looking to find the smallest full range receiver with minimum of 2 channels with or without the case. I would like to know the weight of it too.
The compartment size it has to fit in is 1,1/4"Lx7/8"Wx7/8"H.
If it is 1/2" high at one end it can be longer by 1/2". If it is higher than 1/2" then it must be no longer then 1,1/4" but can be 7/8" high.

I am putting it in a small HLG with 2 channels but the Rx doesn't need to be a 2 channel if it is small and light enough.

I have a JR and Futaba Tx I can use but I can also get a different Tx if I have to.
I have looked at the FMA 5ch/Quantum 6ch /JR610 6ch but have not been able to find anything else small enough or light enough. The JR 2ch is huge and pricey for being only a 2ch Rx. How big is it without the case? What else is out there?

ZZ
Old 09-13-2003, 04:26 PM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default RE: Need help to find the smallest full range receiver?

Hitec's 04MGis a good one, once you remove the case. The vertically-oriented servo pins may cause you some headaches.

FMA has some tiny offerings. Their 5-channel M5 rx will just barely fit within the dimensions you mentioned, but also uses vertically-oriented pinblocks...

GWS makes a couple of 4 and 6-channel receivers with horizontal pinblocks... but these are only rated for parkflyers and the like.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:04 PM
zoomzoooie

Vertical pin orientation is OK just as long as the other end is 1/2" or less and it could fit 1/2" under the wing in part of the ballast compartment if the Rx is longer than 1,1/4".
In this case vertical pin orientation would be better if they are within 1,1/4" from the taller end of the Rx.

It would be nice if GWS Rx's were full range. They sure have the size and light weight I need.

ZZ
Old 09-13-2003, 11:44 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Here's One that's about the size you need, is full range, has horizontal pins, but it's a bit pricey compared to the GWS.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:02 AM
zoomzoooie

Thanks Chuck!
That's one small Rx that will fit all though I have never heard of Berg.
Do you have any first hand knowledge of the reliability of this Rx?
Yes it is a little pricey but I will definitley keep this one in mind!
Great site too!

ZZ

I was looking over the site and find that they do not ship internationally which means I would not be able to get any products from them from here in Canada.[&:]
Old 09-14-2003, 12:41 AM
ChuckAuger

Read This Page It says they will ship internationally, but to contact them first for shipping costs.

As for Berg..I have the 5 Ch, but haven't had it in the air. I know at least one guy using the 5 ch in an electric foamy. They are popular with the micro heli guys. Peter Berg, the designer, is pretty well respected. He was a designer of Kraft radios, and did work for aerospace applications.

Read a bit about him Here
Old 09-14-2003, 11:01 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the best is FMA's FM5. check out FMADIRECT.COM.
Old 09-14-2003, 05:43 PM
zoomzoooie

Yes I was looking at the FMA M5 but the JR610 is smaller and almost as light. If you took the case off it would even be smaller and lighter than the FMA M5.
I have size restriction that the receiver must be able to fit within.

I think I like what have have found out about Berg and the Berg 4. It is very thin and very light.

I sent an email to Aeromicro asking about shipping internationally.
It's very peculiar though. On their home page they say they do not ship internationally and then on the shipping info page, they say they will.

thanks for the added info ChuckAuger

ZZ
Old 09-14-2003, 09:22 PM
zoomzoooie

The reply I got back from Aeromicro is that they have stopped international shipping and that is why it appears on the home page.

I will have to find a nother supplier for the Berg 4 DSP receiver if I want to get it.

ZZ
Old 09-15-2003, 02:16 AM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

i've got a GWS indoor RX in my Wattage Sabre, not gone out of range yet, have a Hi-Tec feather in a glider and i've gotten glitches ( can't reccomend that one )
how far are you planning on flying the HLG? you got a superman launch?
with the GWS unless you "speck out" in a thermal you shouldn't have trouble.

i like the new Hi-tec blue RX, great range, nice and cheap, i've also got a West 6ch rx here in my hands and it's pretty close to your dimentions
Old 09-15-2003, 04:01 AM
zoomzoooie

I have heard of problems with the Hitec Feather so I wasn't putting it on my list.

I was up in the hills yesterday and found a perfect launch site for gliders. I was watching a hawk work the lift. He was just cruising along and then suddenly he just shot up like he was hooked on missile. I couldn't believe how strong the lift was. I've watch birds work lift before but not like that. He then turned with the wind, took off like a jet and soon was gone out of site. The wind was not blowing that hard at the face where I was standing but enough for very good lift on the ridge.

If I were to fly my HLG off of this site it could easily go out of range of a GWS receiver if it got caught in strong lift like that. There have been cases when lift is so strong you have to fight to bring a glider down and don't always win. I almost lost a couple of gliders in such conditions, thermaling, when the wind blew up and started to carry my glider away. I manage to get it down but it was way at the other end of the field.
The price difference is not enough to warrant it. Call it cheap insurance to have a full range receiver.
I just don't want to take the chance of losing it I guess. It will be a very light glider. some where around 8oz maybe. The full size version had a 98" wingspan and weighed 24oz. It was design as a thermal glider but could work slopes too. On the other hand if it were to go so far out as not to be able to see it or at least it's orientation I guess it wouldn't really make a difference.

ZZ
Old 09-15-2003, 09:38 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

ORIGINAL: zoomzoooie
I sent an email to Aeromicro asking about shipping internationally.
It's very peculiar though. On their home page they say they do not ship internationally and then on the shipping info page, they say they will.
There used to be a small supplier that was able to get Berg receivers. Soaring Specialties (or something similar) Sadly - they went out of business a while back.

I'd forgotten about the 610M. I don't rememder its dimensions offhand, but they are quite small, and have the servo pins horizontally-oriented (so no height issues.

One thing - when first introduced these came with short antennas and were tuned for park/indoor flyer use... sailplane guys christened it the "Splat-Master" due to its crummy range. Horizon announced a recall on them (longer antenna + retuning) - they work *much* better. I've one of them in my Wizard-E HLG and have had no problems even at extreme distances.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:21 AM
ChuckAuger

Try Here
Old 09-15-2003, 11:37 AM
jtholley03
My Feedback: (4)

Berg is not the smallest but the only one I would trust. I have had a berg be roxk solid when FMA and GWS were getting hit lest and right at an indoor meet. Also one guy at field on the channel next to me with GWS. He landed I turned on and his plane went nuts. He was 2 feet from it I was 50 ft away. Go with berg $10-20 is nothing compared to losing an airplane.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:21 PM
zoomzoooie

I think it will be the Berg if I can get a good price on it. I contacted a HS in Vancouver BC and they said they stock them but are out of stock right now. They didn't give me price on it , but I quoted the price from Aeromicro with the Xt. When he gets more in I will find out the price. If it is close to the US. price I will get it from them. They ding ya good at customs.

I didn't realize the 610 came with a short antenna. Does is come with a longer on now I wonder. I will keep this in mind if I end up going with one and ask about it before I place an order. They are $89 w/out the Xt from Great Hobbies in Alberta. Add $14 for the Xt. So the Berg US. price is very comparable by the time I pay the dollar difference and extras.

I did find RC Direct in a search for the Berg so I could get it there if the HS in Vancouver is too pricey. Thanks

You guys have been very helpful. I thank you all for the info.

ZZ
Old 09-17-2003, 09:47 AM
Dylwad
My Feedback: (11)

another place to find the berg RX http://www.aircraft-world.com/products.asp?id=49# they ship international(they are in japan) and ive heard of people getting things faster from them then from vendors in their own country.

Dylan