Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Question about old FM radios vs new radios

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:32 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeroZero
I have several 2.4 Futaba transmitters and several of their receivers and several FrSky receivers. They work great, never a hit or glitch. I can't say that with some of the older FM stuff I have used. I was told that we were secondary users on the FM band. That there were 4 mobile ground channels available between each of our FM channels. Maybe that has something to do with it. I don't know. I just know I switched over and I have never had a hit since.
That's because U didn't do Spectrum DSM2 Nuff Said
Old 12-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Profile Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the discussion of modules, what about the equipment from Dymond USA? I have seen ads for them but not much info on the forums it seems. I too have been on an extended break and am now excited to get back into flying. I have a Futaba 8UAPS and have gone back and forth for a month about whether to switch over or not. I have not been flying yet as I have been getting my gear ready to go. A lot of work in just getting everything working as when I stopped flying, and now it's cold!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Profile Pilot
With the discussion of modules, what about the equipment from Dymond USA? I have seen ads for them but not much info on the forums it seems. I too have been on an extended break and am now excited to get back into flying. I have a Futaba 8UAPS and have gone back and forth for a month about whether to switch over or not. I have not been flying yet as I have been getting my gear ready to go. A lot of work in just getting everything working as when I stopped flying, and now it's cold!!!
Again your stuff worked when U hung it up cycle the batteries a few times and go fly (in the Spring) and see what every one else at the club is using ... Sometimes it better to use what every one else is using just to get Programing help ... U do remember how to program your Futaba 8UAF right. Just stay away from the cheep stuff like the lower end spectrum radios make sure what ever U buy in 3.4 is capable of the newer Hopping Technology. stay away from DSM2
Old 12-21-2013, 07:38 AM
dadragon

I've been flying a 1/4 sig cub on an old airtronics 6 ch Quasar for 19 yrs with no problems.there folks at the club with all the new stuff,I reckon I'm just to old to learn about all the hitec gizmos,also have a few futaba's for my giant scale birds.all are on PCM.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:25 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by dadragon
I've been flying a 1/4 sig cub on an old airtronics 6 ch Quasar for 19 yrs with no problems.there folks at the club with all the new stuff,I reckon I'm just to old to learn about all the hitec gizmos,also have a few futaba's for my giant scale birds.all are on PCM.
There's something to say about "If it ain't Broke ... don't fix it."
Old 12-21-2013, 11:50 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by HoundDog
There's something to say about "If it ain't Broke ... don't fix it."
I agree. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 72 MHz radio if you can deal with the one limitation -- that being others on your channel. Our club is about 70% 72 MHz and the rest on 2.4. Some members (like me) do both. I have a box full of 72 MHz receivers and will continue to use them until they die, the TX dies, or I am forced to wait for my channel to clear. I've not had to wait for that to happen in eight years so it has not been a problem. As far as reliability is concerned, I've seen far more 2.4 issues than 72 MHz.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Fs one

I am really enjoying my Spektrum DX8 lots of features easy to program if i buy again it will be the DX18.2.4 ghz is the way to go.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:34 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

FM is all I use
Old 12-21-2013, 02:28 PM
HoundDog

Went to the Hitec RCD 2.4 system 2 years ago still have some 72 MHZ Started with a Module and 2, 9 channel RX's in my Futba 9CAPs then bought 2 used Aurora 9's on RCU because I wanted to see what Telemetry was all about. Sorta neet to see your Altitude and ground speed on the Xmitter Screen (and don't tell me U can't read your Screen and watch your plane at the same time) I can also play record the whole flight to a computer and play it back against Google Earth in 3D. Sorta neat. Also have the voice modual but that is about 20 seconds behind actual time because it receives a packet and the reads it slowly. Also can play it live to an IPhone but the IPhone won't record. It's just TOYS and U know what they say .... he who dies with the most toys wins. RIGHT? Besides it takes the boredom out of just making low passes. I've also set up a small box that I can Velcro or place in others planes that reads back to my Transmitter their Ground Speed and Altitude.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:36 AM
yorkiepap
My Feedback: (18)

Hey guys,
Well, I use 72mhz on one JR10X(w/syn.module) & JR790 SelScan Rx's in my trainers & smaller warbirds(800mm), & 2.4ghz(DM-9 Module) on the other 10X for the larger warbirds, gliders & new waterplanes. I've never had any issues with either & have flown as far as my tired 'ol eyes can see. Our club probably has 50% still on 72mhz & the members are quite strict as to posting your ch# on the ch pin board. If someone is on the channel I have already selected on one of my planes, I simply change the channel in less than 3 min with the SelScan option I have....makes it nice & quite convenient. With the 2.4ghz, I use the Spektrum AR400 & AR600's without any problems & so far, have enough channels for the plane configurations I fly.

Denny
Old 12-22-2013, 12:08 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hitcttd
Hey all - I'm looking to come back to RC after a 4-5 year break. Last time I flew all the buzz was about all the new radios with the new spectrum technologies and what have you. A few questions regarding this:

Is anyone still using the old school radios? I have a Futaba 9CAP - a damn good radio last I remember. Can I still get away with this? I'm looking at flying .60+ size planes. Probably going to start with a sport plane like the Pulse .60 or Pulse 1.25 but eventually I'll probably get back into 3D.

If I were to jump on the new technology bandwagon - what is the consensus these days? I guess I'm looking for 7+ channels at a good price. I always used Hitec and Futaba but am open to whatever is trendy right now. Cost is obviously a consideration but I've always been the kind of person to pay a little extra for quality and reliability. Any good articles, threads, etc to get me up to speed?

Thanks guys

Edit: thought I'd mention i have the PCM version of that model
Lots of heroes helping you out. I skipped over most of them but thought I would throw in my penny, probably not worth 2 cents. HA!

I have far too many transmitters and many more receivers on 72 mhz. Not any problems anymore as I am usually the only one flying one so while I use the frequency board it really matters not, except one never knows when some fellow may have one and seeing no freq. pin on the board he could turn on and whamo! Use the pin. HA!

I have a couple older 2.4, a DX7 and a DX 8 spectrums. The 7 is my night flier and the 8 is in a Scale Model and I have a bunch of receivers should I need them. So I will not tell you that you should not fly 72 mhz.
I will offer some advice. For the fun of it I grabbed a couple of the rather new TACTIC transmitters and a 1/2 dozen receivers. I like these little sporty tinker-toys. One thing that I thought horrible at first but now I really like. They use four cells in the transmitters just like TOYS. They come with alkaline batteries but they are OK for kid's toys but IMO not in a toy airplane transmitter. So I picked up a number of NMIH cells along with a couple of those Energizer chargers. Go to the field with fresh batts. in the transmitters, and fresh back-ups along with a rather quick charger. I don't do electrics. If it ain't noisy then I will be flying Fee Flight Rubber power!!
I do suggest that you take a look at the Tower is the main provider. IIRC it comes with a couple receivers for around $160.00 total.

So when you are flying your 72 mhz. and the local smarty asks you when are you going to get with the 2.4 realm, you can say you will whenever you feel like it.
When I started modeling back in the late '40s, and later into competition modeling around 1958 +/- we did not have all these classy folks that have to follow the crowd.
After 41 years driving 1:1 scale, I will drive whatever toy airplane I like and with whatever I please that is legal. I still don't follow the crowds. ENJOY whatever you wish. Happy Holidays!

Check out Tower for the Tactic.

Last edited by Hossfly; 12-22-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: spelling etc.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:25 AM
hitcttd
My Feedback: (8)

Hate to interrupt a great discussion but I wanted to thank you all for the input. Looks like what I'm going to end up doing is go back to the field to see what the mix of 72 mhz and 2.4ghz users is. If the number of 72mhz users is relatively low it sounds like the PCM system I have is still good, at least to get back into the hobby and especially with sport planes. I'll re read this thread a few times to make sure I understand everything but i just wanted to say thanks guys!

Haven't had time to do it yet but I'll look more into all of your recommendations before making any purchases.

Thanks again everyone, happy holidays!

By the way - it's looking like it's gonna be a revolver (haven't decided on size yet) coupled with an EVO .60 Gasser or DLE 20)
Old 12-23-2013, 05:35 AM
dadragon

I agree with #55 ,I cant see buyin something I dont need the 72s work fine for me I dont do 3D so I do not need all the extra zip the new stuff has I fly scale war birds,
Old 12-23-2013, 05:59 AM
HoundDog

Go with the DLE 20 U will be a lot happier with a lot less frustration.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:04 AM
HoundDog

I agree with #55 ,I cant see buyin something I dont need the 72s work fine for me I dont do 3D so I do not need all the extra zip the new stuff has I fly scale war birds,
90% can't tell the difference in servo speed and all that other stuff anyway ... I went to mostly 2.4 for the Telemetry I've even set up box and a Bomb for the war birds with a separate Battery, receiver, and GPS so I can attach it to other guys planes or Quad Copters and than get a Ground Speed and Altitude Read out on my Xmitter.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:51 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Go with the DLE 20 U will be a lot happier with a lot less frustration.
Not necessilarily, if you cannot tune a 2 stroke engine it does not matter if its glo or gas.

You will love the Revolver. I think its one of the better sport planes around. Tone the throws down for pattern like precision, or max them out for some real fun. I was flying my friends (he trying to go electric, I let him borrow a motor just to see if he likes the power). I did some of the prettiest knife-edge snaps with it. Really impressed me.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:51 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Just wanted to add one comment regarding servo response time....

Many of us run our 72 MHz receivers on 4.8V packs. But to avoid possible brown-out issues, many of run our 2.4 GHz receivers on 6V packs. Servo speed increases with voltage. So if you are on 72 MHz and want faster servos then change your pack to a 6V pack.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:14 AM
dadragon

+1 JP;just remember when a fully charged 6V batt is more than 6V,I run a 6V system on all my planes and also a voltage regulater set at 5.8 so no to fry my receivers,I dont worry about weight all my planes are 120" and larger,one gent said he runs only fm receivers thats fine with glow for spark plug engine PCM is a must to stop electical noise geting to the controls.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:30 PM
HoundDog

[QUOTE=wildnloose;11691603]Not necessilarily, if you cannot tune a 2 stroke engine it does not matter if its glo or gas.

As for the 2 engines of witch he speaks. It's not the Tuning of the DLE 20 TWO STROKE Gas ...
It's that the EVO .60 is well lets say less than reliable. JMHO
Old 12-23-2013, 06:23 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

+1 JP;just remember when a fully charged 6V batt is more than 6V,I run a 6V system on all my planes and also a voltage regulater set at 5.8 so no to fry my receivers,I dont worry about weight all my planes are 120" and larger,one gent said he runs only fm receivers thats fine with glow for spark plug engine PCM is a must to stop electical noise geting to the controls.
If you check the specs on your receiver, you will probably find that it is rated for more than 6V It has its own built in regulator.
Your regulator is just an extra part that can fail. Its resistance can also slow your servos.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:15 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You lost me on that one
All my rx are Spektrum and work up to 9volts
they all have some kind of regulation-
As far as I can determine, the internal regulation in the rec has nothing to do with speed of the servos. How can it?
I have used this stuff since it came out -long before any of the other 2.4 systems - it always worked just fine.
The bashers ? to be expected when equipment and it's requirements are not understood.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:47 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I am not talking about the regulators in the receiver. The regulator in the receiver regulates the receiver itself and has nothing to do with the current that is passed through to the servos.
What I am referring to is an external regulator. That regulator is in the circuit with the the servos as well and is just an extra resistance for the servo..
Look at post #68. He is putting in an external regulator to prevent frying the receiver. As you say your receiver can work with up to 9Volts without frying. Other receivers can take even more

Last edited by dirtybird; 12-26-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:32 AM
rmh

OK-
Why would any 2.4 rx need over 9 volts?
PS I don't trust regs used with batt packs -as far as I could throw em.
Perhaps someday this will change ---
Old 12-26-2013, 08:55 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

My recommendation to go to a 6V pack was not good. I should have said that before changing to 6V you should check your receiver and servos and any other electrical parts in your system to be sure they can operate at the higher voltage. A fully charged 6V NiXX pack is around 6.7 V I think.

Most receivers and servos will take it, but not all. I have had servos fail at 6V.

The point I was trying to make previously is that when people say 2.4 GHz systems are faster than 72 MHz systems they are sometimes comparing 2.4 GHz systems at 6V with 72 MHz systems at 4.8 V. That is not a fair comparison because the servo response is better at 6V.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:40 AM
rmh

4.8--6 v-- 7.4 -- all work and always have worked with 2.4 systems
the problem with 2.4 was and still is, is that the power being used goes up with the voltage --and many guys simply don't understand that.
Checking batteries with a battery checker is less than worthless- it fools the unknowing into believing it is a helpful test.
Our first Spektrum radios (first ones on the market) all worked perfectly and so do the present ones .
Why? I had been flying electric powered models and found out early on, how the voltage depression can quickly kill ANY voltage pack.
Tho some prefer to believe different brands use less power and are safer - it ain't true - never was .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.