Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo "waving"

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 06:05 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For those who have not noticed servo extension leads are all not the same. The gauge of the wire and the substitution of copper wire for other material all comes into play. I ran into a similar problem with a made in China lead. The gauge was correct but they did not use copper wire. What we are left with is low current. I went back to a premium JR lead and problem solved. JR also sells sub par leads so don't be fooled.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:18 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is caused by high resistance at a connector going to the servo. Unplugging and plugging the extensions back in a couple of times will cure it as the connectors we use self clean when we plug them in. The high resistance at the connector sends a reflected pulse back up the signal wire and it effects the incoming pulse causing the oscillation.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 2walla
It is caused by high resistance at a connector going to the servo. Unplugging and plugging the extensions back in a couple of times will cure it as the connectors we use self clean when we plug them in. The high resistance at the connector sends a reflected pulse back up the signal wire and it effects the incoming pulse causing the oscillation.
While that is a cause of the problem, it isn't only cause.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:51 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

oxidation can contribute also and cleaning it is difficult. I have pitched old extensions in these cases. If the wire is still good/good quality I may save the wire and re-crimp a new plug with those MPI crimpers and plugs. I'd only do that on longer extensions.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:47 PM
vaethshuxun

This could be signaling a problem of some sort or it could be completely normal.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Lone Star, when using a "Y" harness with some of the newer receivers that have low voltage decoders, the two servos connected in parallel can load the signal pulse voltage down enough that one or both servos will not work at all or at best, very intermittent. This was very noticeable with some of the early and expensive Futaba 14 Ch. receivers when used with certain Hitec servos. Hitec came out with a modification for their servos that resolved the problem. Still, when more than one servo is connected through the "Y" harness with these receivers, the signal level is still loaded to a level where there is little headroom. Its just not good practice to use a "Y" harness with these receivers.

On your 517 receiver with a "Y" harness, you probably wouldn't have this problem as the pulse voltage is higher. My guess you just had one servo that had a slightly dirty pot and with use it cleaned itself up enough to operate normal.
Good to know about the 517. Your description of "low headroom" on the signal voltage did not sound like my problem either. I did suspect that the connection on the position potentiometer was probably corroded and that caused the initial problem; however, the other elevator was tracking properly, it just seemed to have a lower damping coefficient than the other elevator servo - hence the waving. I'm not an expert on these things, so I quit looking when it started working correctly.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Check this out:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...ines-alot.html

13 years ago!
Back then they didnt wave, they whined.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtybird
Check this out:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-r...ines-alot.html

13 years ago!
Back then they didnt wave, they whined.
Yup, that was a very common question when digitals first hit the scene years ago. Even today, it still comes up from time to time when people get their first digital servos. I use to tell them the sound will go away when you start the engine.