Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Proper gauge for RX battery charging

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM
N410DC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper gauge for RX battery charging

I have searched posts on this site, and cannot find a clear answer to this question. I added banana plugs to a servo extension wire to use as a charging wire for a 2000mAh 6.0V RX NiMH battery, using a Triton 2 EQ charger. The wire is only about 12" long, and I want to extend it to a few feet. Based on what I have read, 22 gauge wire will work for this task. Will this be sufficient? I normally charge the battery at 0.2 amps, but I might occasionally need to charge it at up to 2 amps, if I am in a hurry. I also plan to use the Triton to discharge and cycle the battery.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-31-2014, 04:10 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Check this out;
chttp://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
Old 03-31-2014, 05:59 PM
N410DC

Thanks, that sheds some light on the subject. I was a little confused about the difference between "chassis wiring" and "power transmission," but this link cleared that up. I think we can safely consider R/C applications to be "chassis wiring," since the wires are generally exposed to air, and therefore dissipate heat more efficiently that wires in a conduit, in walls, etc. This reasoning would give 22 AWG wire a 7 amp limit, and 24 AWG a 3.5 amp limit. Either is good enough for the charging applications we use.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd likely use #20 since it's usually a bit more rugged.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:56 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are using the standard servo connectors on the charger, the connector may be the limiting component. I have seen current limits of 1amp on this type connector and others rate it at 2 amps.