Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Are there any inexpensive transmitters that work for a lot of different receivers?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Are there any inexpensive transmitters that work for a lot of different receivers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 08:56 AM
RebElliot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DGrant
With OpenTx most all of it is computer based, and there's a considerable amount of computer interface that takes place. Have a look at the OpenTX main page and start reading, as that will be your first introduction into OpenTX, and at that point if you decide it works for you, then hope that whatever system you buy doesn't need service, Many of the cheaper systems that run OpenTX don't have repair facilities...and have very little product support.... and I recommend checking that out before you buy anything.
I haven't had any issues with my TX16S, but I still think your point about support is valid. If I do have a hardware issue, I don't know what to expect. There are a lot of very helpful people in the rcgroups forums, but I get the feeling I would have to order parts from China and replace them myself.

I've never used my computer (OpenTx Companion) to program my FrSky X9D or RadioMaster TX16S. I do use Companion to test some programming concepts, and for me that's a big plus, even if I don't transfer anything from Companion to my radio. I should probably try to do that just to explore the option, but I've found that it's easy enough to program on the transmitter itself.

Remember that most (and maybe all) OpenTx radios have a wizard to create the basic settings for a wide variety of planes, and I find this to be as quick and simple as it is on Spektrum. Mixing (for me) is easier on OpenTx. There are no special cases and you can see everything that affects a given channel on one screen. There are things that are easier with Spektrum. Dual/triple rates are much easier with Spektrum, and I definitely wish that OpenTx allowed you to choose a "simple" setup UI for the Inputs tab because I almost never use any of the advanced features on that tab (unlike the Mixer tab, where I use the more advanced features quite often). Voice alerts are also simpler with Spektrum since they have a dedicated settings page. With OpenTx, *many* features like voice alerts are added through logical switches and special functions tabs. It can get a bit messy, though the flexibility is nice.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:06 PM
marconewt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bisco
make sure you look at the one without a receiver. we're both wrong, the current price at hobbyzone.com is $260. but i got it for $230. on 09/24/20. must have been on sale.
You wanna sell it??

kidding
The following users liked this post:
bisco (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 04:19 PM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i've been so frustrated at times, i have considered it. i think i'm more the rtf kind.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:25 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bisco
i've been so frustrated at times, i have considered it. i think i'm more the rtf kind.
What's the biggest problem you seem to be having? I've seen you posting on the RCG Spektrum thread, but haven't responded, as there's actually alot of experienced people already responding to many things. Too many responses can be confusing too, and I want to avoid that, but maybe if you can tell a bit about what's going on I/we can help.. maybe.. hah. No gaurantees but it's worth a try if you want.

Honestly it doesn't sound like OpenTX would help matters, I could be wrong, but OpenTX is pretty tough stuff if you don't have at least some basic experience... even with experience it can be a bit overwhelming. So what's going on with your Spektrum?
Old 10-12-2020, 06:08 PM
bisco

What's the biggest problem you seem to be having? I've seen you posting on the RCG Spektrum thread, but haven't responded, as there's actually alot of experienced people already responding to many things. Too many responses can be confusing too, and I want to avoid that, but maybe if you can tell a bit about what's going on I/we can help.. maybe.. hah. No gaurantees but it's worth a try if you want.

Honestly it doesn't sound like OpenTX would help matters, I could be wrong, but OpenTX is pretty tough stuff if you don't have at least some basic experience... even with experience it can be a bit overwhelming. So what's going on with your Spektrum?
thank you!

i wish there were only one, and i agree, open tx would probably be even more difficult. i have read some of the promoters and they write dissertations on how wonderful they are, but most admit very complicated.
when i read the manual, it tells you what something does, but not in laymans terms. so then you have to search the internet for what the terms mean.
i registered my tx with spectrum, and since then, have started getting the 'register your tx with spectrum' message when i shut down.
i never got it before. i emailed them a week ago, but no response.

i can't make voice commands work, and don't understand the manual.

i am not sure if i have telemetry, or need to buy an optional module to get it. even the rtf tx comes with battery telemetry.

i need an sd card, had no idea i would need one when i bought the tx, and then ordered the wrong one based on someones advice. turns out the right ones are so old, they are hard to find. i think i found one with some members help.

i set up my hobbyzone sport cub s2 after many questions and answers on the forum, but cannot figure out how to set dual rates, what that means, or what they are for.

i set up my new aeroscout today, except for 'functions' which i could not find on the tx.
then i got to the field to fly the sport cub, it was still on the aeroscout, and took a few minutes to go through the menu and get back to the sport cub.
i'm sure when you're deep into the hobby, the many options make it a valuable tx. but in the beginning, you just want to turn it on and fly, like an rtf.
i purchased it because horizon told me not to use the rtf tx's due to range problems.

thanks, and sorry for the ramble
Old 10-12-2020, 08:59 PM
DGrant

How about we start with one or two issues at a time... and see if we can fix at least one or a few things.. then we'll try to move to the next...

We'll try to go in the order you listed, and just a little at a time. Spoon feed it.. hah.

I think I saw you finally got a class 4 SD card that will work in your radio.. so that's good. I believe that message about registering your radio is coming up because it's not running the latest Airware.though which tells me you've most likely not updated the Airware yet. That's done after registering... so you're almost there.

You'll need to take that SD card, put in your computer(make sure there's nothing else on the card) and go to your MySpektrum page, and download the update to the SD card. There's a d/l prompt just to the right of the "My Products" where your tranny is... it will say "Download Updates".. You don't need all the updates, and you don't need any audio file updates... just the most current update.. that will take the radio and make the airware current from wherever it is now... and that should get rid of the "registration" message you get when you boot the radio on.

After you load the latest update to the SD card, you should be able to insert the card into the tranny(with power off), then when you power the tranny up, it should automatically take and run the update and install it. It might take a few minutes to finish... don't touch it until you get the normal screen. That's it. You can leave the SD card in the radio if you want... what I like to do though after an update is remove the card from the radio, put it in the computer and clear it.. then put it back in the tranny to store it, or use it when I need.. as that's where I'll need it until another update comes up. Don't worry, updates are usually very infrequent.. it doesn't happen alot, but its still something you'll want to do when they come available... as some updates are very beneficial and literally load new features into your radio. It's pretty cool when you get the hang of it. At this point your radio could still have airware that's a few years old or more if it's never been updated, and actually there's been new features in that length of time.

On that update page too, there's what we call "change logs"... those contain specific info as to what features are actually in the updates... so potentially you could go back and find the version of Airware your radio is running, it's shown on the tranny, probably in the start up screen somewhere, and it wll be like a "1.07" number.. I'm not sure where yours starts.. so that's just an example.. but it will be a number/decimal/and a few numbers.. On the update page scroll down the "change logs" and read up to the newest version and that will give you and idea of what you're putting in the radio as far as features. Some will be beneficial, some won't make a diff.. and as new as you are.. most of it won't make sense for a while. I did one update a few years back and it was like I got a new radio.. that particular update had some really cool features.

So I'll leave off here, and lets see/hope you get the update successfully installed..and moreso hope that rids you of the "registration" message, and then we'll know you're on your way. I hope this makes sense, it does take time, and there is a learning curve...don't be discouraged though.. that's a nice system, and once the lightbulb in your head lights up, you'll be on your way...That's about how I was when I came full time Spektrum about 5yrs ago.. I used Futaba for years, and the modern DX was foreign to me.. It's not so much any more... although there's people that are much more advanced then I am... hah.

Nice thing is most functions all access the same way.. it's just a matter of navigating the menu to get to them is all. What I've found with Spektrum is once you know how to navigate a DX radio, they're all similar. I started learning the DX18 years ago, and it's been handy in that I don't have problems with any DX.. from the 6ch up. That's one thing I liked right away.

I'll check back later or tomorrow and see where you're at with it... and we'll try to tackle the next thing on your list, and hopefully get you going on dual rate stuff I hope this isn't overwhelming... You can probably YouTube search quite a bit as well.. there's several videos around. PM me anytime here, or RCGroups if you want, or even FlyingGiants... I'm same screen name on all of them and more. I'm retired and check in all of them through the day when I have time. Good luck with it.

Last edited by DGrant; 10-12-2020 at 09:04 PM.
bisco (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 09:17 PM
DGrant

I'll add here, your transmitter is telemetry equipped. The receiver(Rx) will determine as to what level telemetry you see. If it's a non-telemetry Rx then you won't have telemetry. No big deal.. don't sweat it. Telemetry is nice, but we flew without telemetry for many years. Just make sure your batteries are charged and go fly. If you have questions on your Rx's, just Google the model#' and go to the Spektrum or Horizon page, and the info will be there as to what your Rx is equipped with. I do it all the time... there's so many Rx's around nobody can remember what has what. I'll say it's a very safe bet if your Rx model# ends with a "T" it's a telem Rx. That's how telem Rx's are ID'd. You probably already figured out your telemetry readings are accessed by using the scroll wheel.

As well there's a telemetry settings page in your tranny where you set your telemetry values and some voice commands. The tranny is already equipped with several commands onboard... and we'll get to where you can set up some of that.

I've actually thought about buying a DX6 for back up, and for my smaller sport planes.. but I think I'm holding out for a DX9 for that. I really like my DX18G2 and use it for my giants and competition planes.. for many reasons.. but really telemetry is the biggie.... but the DX9 is about right for my sport planes/park-flyers. I still have a first gen DX7... that I use for my park flyers, it's a great radio, but no telemetry...hah.. but as I said about telemetry.. no big deal.. it will come in time.
bisco (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 05:26 AM
bisco

thanks for all the info, i appreciate the help. i still have to order the sd card, and send the wrong one back. when i get it, i will give it a try and keep you posted.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:38 AM
DGrant

Very good. I'm curious if you registered your radio, most times it's done by transferring the serial # to the SD card then copying it to your MySpektrum page.

Did you manually enter the serial #?(which is an option).

Updates are specific to your transmitter and can't be used in any other DX... so I'm just verifying if your tranny is in fact already registered. Thx.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:26 AM
bisco

Very good. I'm curious if you registered your radio, most times it's done by transferring the serial # to the SD card then copying it to your MySpektrum page.

Did you manually enter the serial #?(which is an option).

Updates are specific to your transmitter and can't be used in any other DX... so I'm just verifying if your tranny is in fact already registered. Thx.
i registered it manually, because someone mentioned i should do it, and i didn't have an sd card yet.
everything went through fine, i signed up for the spectrum website, etc.
what's confusing is that i didn't start getting the message to register, until after i registered.
i can try again when i get the sd card, and check for updates at the same time.
i emailed spectrum, but haven't heard back.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:55 AM
DGrant

The registration message was probably prompted after turning it on for so many cycles. It wasn't prompted in any way by you just creating an account at MySpektrum and registering the tranny.
It would have came up in the tranny regardless unless you updated it immediately. The trannydoesn't know it's registered yet, even though the Spektrum site does.

It needs the update, and then that tranny will know it's registered and updated, and the msg will go away.

Have you looked at Walmart or Target for a card. I got my card at Walmart.... was about $8 I think.. if that. Class-4 , 8GB is all I use. All the files are so small they take a micro-fraction of that space.. or less. I'm not sure why people need an OMG size card... I'm sure I could put several thousand or more models on my 8GB card... hah.

Like everything else though people believe for some reason bigger is better... just don't always be fooled by that. Same for batteries... bigger capacity/higher voltage doesn't always mean better battery. People have went Bat-8hit Crazy. Just study everything before you plop down the money. That's your best bet.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:21 AM
bisco

thanks. the amazon one is 32gb, but also 8 dollars, so thats easy.

good to know about the message, the pdate should eliminate it then.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:51 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, there is a "grace period" on the first bunch of turn-ons. This is because the factory will turn it on multiple times during production, QC, and QA checking, plus it may be turned on by a LHS showing the radio to people etc. Many folks never even see the message because they know that registering and updating electronic products these days is the norm. After that it only nags you every 4th power cycle until you install the update, then it quits. I wish I had enough room on the display to tell you all that!

Andy
bisco (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 01:28 PM
bisco

thanks andy!

i just ordered the sd card from amazon. it says a week, but might show up sooner. in the meantime, i can fly the s2, and hopefully the aeroscout in a few days.

can anyone clarify the 'functions', i can't find it in the menu to finish setting up the aeroscout.

edit: i just looked at the s2 setup. and had to use 'functions' there, so i must just be missing it. will look again.

Last edited by bisco; 10-13-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:37 PM
AndyKunz

Are you referring to the Function List? That's the menu you get when you click the roller from the main screen - the one with the airplane picture and timer on it.

Andy
bisco (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 02:56 PM
bisco

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Are you referring to the Function List? That's the menu you get when you click the roller from the main screen - the one with the airplane picture and timer on it.

Andy
okay, great. i will look at the instructions again and see if that's it. thank you andy!
Old 10-13-2020, 04:43 PM
DGrant

Welcome to the thread Andy! Nice seeing you post up here. Sure appreciate the help man... Thanks!.

bisco, we've got a real radio pro on the case now dude. This kind of help from a Spektrum Dev Team member is what you don't get from other companies. A big reason I'm a Spektrum fan.
They've all helped me to learn.... and they'll want to help you too I have no doubt.

Yeah bisco I'm slightly perplexed on the "functions list", as to which screen its referring too. We'll have a look at it and nail it down if you don't figure it out. I'm sure I've seen it, I just don't have a radio handy at the moment to look around in.
bisco (10-13-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 07:59 AM
bisco

Andy
so i click on 'main screen', and the pic of the plane comes up, no screen title.

then i scroll, and get 'flight mode 1 monitor'.

nothing says 'functions list'. the aeroscout manual says to go to 'throttle cut'. i can't find that, but there is a vertical bar that says thr.

it says to change throttle cut to -130, is this the correct place? it curently says -100.

then the manual states, resulting in: 'switch H operates throttle cut'. 'switch B operates the 3 safe plus modes'. 'button I operates panic mode'

thanks for your help!
Old 10-14-2020, 08:13 AM
AndyKunz

Main Screen and Function List screenshot from my DX20. They should be very similar on your DX6. The main screen has the picture of the model. Click the roller and you get the Function List.

Throttle Cut varies for different ESCs. If the manual says -130%, use -130%. For a different ESC you may need -100% (which most do, which is why it's the default).

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
SPM_0000.BMP (2.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: bmp
SPM_0001.BMP (2.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 10-14-2020, 09:49 AM
bisco

Main Screen and Function List screenshot from my DX20. They should be very similar on your DX6. The main screen has the picture of the model. Click the roller and you get the Function List.

Throttle Cut varies for different ESCs. If the manual says -130%, use -130%. For a different ESC you may need -100% (which most do, which is why it's the default).

Andy
got it, boy am i thick

do i want to change the two little boxes? the small tab is below the I

thank you andy!

Last edited by bisco; 10-14-2020 at 09:51 AM.
DGrant (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 11:28 AM
AndyKunz

That depends on which way you want it active. The tiny block shows the current switch position. Move the switch and watch it go back and forth.

The reverse/normal numbers show you which position the throttle cut (or whatever other function you're on anywhere in the radio) is active in. So you can make throttle cut active with the switch toward you or away from you. Mine is toward me (position 1) to lock the throttle off, and away from me (pos 0) to let the motor run.

Play around with these things in the radio and see how they work. That will probably help you get a good understanding of the radio. And take off the prop first, before you play around. Don't want you cutting yourself or somebody/something else around you!

Andy
The following 2 users liked this post by AndyKunz:
bisco (10-14-2020), DGrant (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 02:37 PM
bisco

thanks andy!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:03 PM
DGrant

bisco, when you figure out and practice how to toggle and select, and how to determine and become familiar with settings you'll be on your way. It sounds like you're making progress already. Very good indeed.

I might suggest using an open model slot in the tranny(one that's not used yet), and that might help you practice and search around with less fear of messing up setting on an existing model you're currently flying. That's just a suggestion of course. I use an open model sometimes to tinker, play around, and learn ...

...and definitely always take the prop off when setting up and/or working on any active model. That's some great advice Andy gave you right there.

Have you figured out anything on the dual-rates settings? Whenever you need just say the word and we can probably talk you through the basics or more.
bisco (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 06:10 PM
bisco

bisco, when you figure out and practice how to toggle and select, and how to determine and become familiar with settings you'll be on your way. It sounds like you're making progress already. Very good indeed.

I might suggest using an open model slot in the tranny(one that's not used yet), and that might help you practice and search around with less fear of messing up setting on an existing model you're currently flying. That's just a suggestion of course. I use an open model sometimes to tinker, play around, and learn ...

...and definitely always take the prop off when setting up and/or working on any active model. That's some great advice Andy gave you right there.

Have you figured out anything on the dual-rates settings? Whenever you need just say the word and we can probably talk you through the basics or more.
thank you.
i haven't figured out dual rate yet. tomorrow, i'll look at the airplane manual instructions and post them here. someone said i need to assign a switch. i don't think the manual said to, but i will double check.
not only do i need to set it, but i need to learn what it is, any why it is used.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:18 PM
DGrant

Very good. Yes, assigning or choosing a switch(or switches) is necessary. For sure study the instructs and see what you come up with. It's a good thing to have especially as you advance in airplanes and style. Expo is another setting too.. but seriously don't get overwhelmed with any of it. Some/alot of it is for advanced models, and for just starting out you can do it with minimal or no adjustments.. and then start tweaking it as you learn.... just keep plugging away and hopefully flying when you can. All that stuff will take time to learn.

I'll check the thread out tomorrow. C-ya.
bisco (10-15-2020)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.