Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Are there any inexpensive transmitters that work for a lot of different receivers?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Are there any inexpensive transmitters that work for a lot of different receivers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 08:39 AM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are there any inexpensive transmitters that work for a lot of different receivers?

I know this is kind of a layman's question and I'm still in the beginner mode but I know it's there are certain mostly Chinese made transmitters for around $25 that work with a few different groups of receivers but are these are good investment or any of these any good they're mostly Chinese I think you have to buy the servo separately from the receivers and the ESC and I'm not sure if they're compatible with brushed escs. And my better off spending like over $100 on a transmitter that has more compatibility with more receivers? with my budget in the picture it's not an easy thing to come up with that much money but I don't want to buy something that's really cheap and crummy either can someone make a recommendation one of the ones that seems to come up a lot is a fly sky FS ai16 or something like that. Is that any good. I've also seen an FR sky transmitter being used on several videos but I don't see it for sale anywhere that seems to be compatible with some of the more practical bricks type transmitters I mean receivers that I see available is that something I should be looking for?
Old 09-21-2020, 03:25 PM
bisco

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by obrien135
I know this is kind of a layman's question and I'm still in the beginner mode but I know it's there are certain mostly Chinese made transmitters for around $25 that work with a few different groups of receivers but are these are good investment or any of these any good they're mostly Chinese I think you have to buy the servo separately from the receivers and the ESC and I'm not sure if they're compatible with brushed escs. And my better off spending like over $100 on a transmitter that has more compatibility with more receivers? with my budget in the picture it's not an easy thing to come up with that much money but I don't want to buy something that's really cheap and crummy either can someone make a recommendation one of the ones that seems to come up a lot is a fly sky FS ai16 or something like that. Is that any good. I've also seen an FR sky transmitter being used on several videos but I don't see it for sale anywhere that seems to be compatible with some of the more practical bricks type transmitters I mean receivers that I see available is that something I should be looking for?
from what i have been able to figure out, the broad answer is no. that being said, these 'open transmitters seem to be very flexible, cheap and reliable.
the issue is the tech learning curve, and little to no help from the manufacturers.

i'm in the same boat as you, but i have little tech ability, and prolly will just go with a spectrum tx and lemon rx
Old 09-21-2020, 09:57 PM
obrien135

Default Thank you

Thank you it's interesting to hear that those transmitters are reliable and so affordable with the tech curve they are still tempting but due to expenses and limitations I think I will have to wait and definitely maybe until I can't afford a spectrum thank you for your help
The following users liked this post:
bisco (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 06:48 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

It seems from many of your past posts you are on a very tight budget. Rather than shop for new, consider buying used. Find a local club, and consult with a few of the experienced members. Used radio gear, as well as all sorts of other used planes and parts, can be extremely affordable. But team up with someone locally to be your "guide" in helping you evaluate whether an item is just old, or is not worth spending the money on.
The following users liked this post:
bisco (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 07:53 AM
bisco

Thank you it's interesting to hear that those transmitters are reliable and so affordable with the tech curve they are still tempting but due to expenses and limitations I think I will have to wait and definitely maybe until I can't afford a spectrum thank you for your help
i feel the same way. i can get a flysky 6 channel for 50 bucks vs a spectrum for $226. very tough decision.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:42 PM
obrien135

Default Club

Do you think I would have to join the club to consult with it's members?
Old 09-25-2020, 05:46 PM
bisco

probably not. just drop in an introduce yourself. ask questions and i'm sure many will be glad to offer advice.
Old 10-04-2020, 02:54 AM
04fxdwgi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cheap FrSky / Taranis radio that has the expansion bay, such as the FrSky Taranis X9D, can be had for well under a hundred bux used. Add the multimode module, like a JP4in1, for around twenty five used and that radio will handle 90% of the receivers that are commonly used. There are others, but I use this as an example. The RCGroups forums usually have a ton of used radios there.

Only caveat is you would need to learn how to program the radio and effectively keep firmware updated.

I use the FrSky Taranis X9D Plus SE with the Jp4in1 and run the OpenTX firmware. Once the learning curve is complete, the radio will do just about anything you want it to, from very simple to extremely complex. I retired / off loaded a much more expensive Spektrum DX9, as I like X9D and flexibility of OpenTX better.

Last edited by 04fxdwgi; 10-04-2020 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 04:15 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Look at the Jumper transmitter. According to my friend who has one, it will accept nearly all 2.4 protocal. Its not an automatic thing, but has the capability. Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:32 AM
obrien135

Yes thank you. Unfortunately money is always an obstacle. I only have two transmitters one is one that came with a sport club s from horizon hobby and the other is for a blade MCX helicopter. I don't think the one for the MCX would work but I'm wondering if the one for the sport club best would work with a park zone brick like the pkz 3351 or some equivalent that is still manufactured somewhere. Does anybody know whether that would work or not?
Old 10-04-2020, 12:16 PM
RebElliot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The transmitter is a one time purchase, so it might make more sense to spend a little extra money and buy something you like. You can get a lot of features for a little money. One of the things you probably won't get with a really cheap transmitter is good support, so if you have issues, you might be mostly on your own. I've had good luck and I think most people do, but it's certainly possible that you'll get a lemon. You might consider a Jumper T12 Pro Hall transmitter. It's less than $100 on several sites and allows you to use almost any receiver you want. This can save a lot of money over the long run, and it's also nice to be able to pick exactly the receiver you want based on price, size, channels, etc. Heck, I'll send you a couple of Hitec receivers if you go that route; I have more than I can use since I got quite a few from my elderly father, who no longer flies. The Jumper uses OpenTx. This appeals to some people (myself included), but not others. You can watch some youtube videos and see what you think. Here's an excerpt from a Futaba manual that is relevant:

"Essentially every feature in the radio’s programming is really a mix, with all assignments/programming set up and ready to use. Additionally, the 9C ACRO and GLID programs both provide 5 linear and 2 curve fully-programmable mixes (HELI provides two linear and one curve) that allow you to set up special mixes to resolve flight difficulties, activate additional functions, etc."

I highlighted the part that separates radios based on OpenTx from radios like Futaba. With OpenTx, none of the assignments and programming are set up and ready to use. Everything is like the "fully-programmable mixes". This doesn't mean you have to start completely from scratch, as OpenTx does provide a wizard that will create the basic mixes for many common airplane configurations in less than a minute. What is more likely is that you would create a basic template with your preferred settings and then copy that when you create a new plane.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:25 PM
obrien135

Thanks I appreciate that I might take you up on that offer if I'm able to save up and buy one of those transmitters right now I'm setting up to buy a gilo's kit that I'm going to try to build tomorrow night after that I'll start working on the transmitter money thank you very much
Old 10-04-2020, 10:30 PM
04fxdwgi

Or, he can give a shout out and there are so many folks running OpenTX, surely someone can send him something he can start with and tweek to his liking. I have layouts for boats, quads, hexes, heli w/ a Spirit FBL I could send. They are all FrSky and Spektrum receiver models.

The best way for him to get a feel for / learn OpenTX is to get someones model files, download OpenTX Companion load it all up and run the setups on the Companion simulator to see what it all does and how it does it.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:50 AM
obrien135

Thanks I would appreciate the help. is the open tx companion expensive?
Old 10-07-2020, 01:56 AM
04fxdwgi

Thanks I would appreciate the help. is the open tx companion expensive?
OpenTX is open source and is free to download and use.

The cool thing about it, is that you can:
1. You can develop a model / adjust settings on the PC with OpenTX
2. You can simulate your radio on OpenTX and see how your settings / changes effect the way the radio responds.
3. You can upload the new settings to the radio from the OpenTX / down load your radio contents to OpenTX and save on your hard drive.
4. You can update firmware to the radio from OpenTX (OpenTX checks for updates when started)

Just type in OpenTX in google and the site link will show up.( I am not allowed to post links until I have 10 posts)

Last edited by 04fxdwgi; 10-07-2020 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:07 AM
obrien135

I don't have a computer with internet access.would I be able to download it on my android and somehow transfer it to my computer?
Old 10-07-2020, 10:37 AM
04fxdwgi

I don't have a computer with internet access.would I be able to download it on my android and somehow transfer it to my computer?
I can't help you on that one. Maybe go somewhere they have a hot spot and do the download from there. You will need internet to PC to do all the updates and such, also.
Can you use your phone as a hot spot to connect laptop WiFi to?

Good luck
Old 10-09-2020, 11:12 AM
obrien135

I don't know I'll have to look into it
Old 10-09-2020, 11:34 AM
bisco

just an update to my comments:

bought a spectrum dx6 for $230. this is not a simple radio, and service is okay but slow (maybe due to covid, idk)

having a few glitches, and potentially a bad screen. had to ask all kind of questions just to program it to a simple 4ch sport cub.

most people are very helpful, but do not understand a newbie's lack of knowledge. the jargon they throw at you is more complicated the the nonsense in the owners manual, or they tell you, 'read page 5)

so from my perspective, you might as well go with the cheapest decent open tx you can find, i doubt it will be any tougher to set up and keep working.
for me, it's enough to go back to rtf's
Old 10-10-2020, 04:28 PM
marconewt

Default great price

Originally Posted by bisco

bought a spectrum dx6 for $230. this is not a simple radio, and service is okay but slow (maybe due to covid, idk)

having a few glitches, and potentially a bad screen. had to ask all kind of questions just to program it to a simple 4ch sport cub.

most people are very helpful, but do not understand a newbie's lack of knowledge. the jargon they throw at you is more complicated the the nonsense in the owners manual, or they tell you, 'read page 5)

so from my perspective, you might as well go with the cheapest decent open tx you can find, i doubt it will be any tougher to set up and keep working.
Where did you find it for that? Good price.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:32 PM
bisco

Originally Posted by marconewt
Where did you find it for that? Good price.
hobby zone, i thought that was msrp?
Old 10-11-2020, 06:44 PM
marconewt

hobby zone, i thought that was msrp?
wow you are right... been buying too high..Thanks
Old 10-11-2020, 06:46 PM
marconewt

wow you are right... been buying too high..Thanks
Ha... i'm wrong, the one you referenced is the dx6e not the dx6. the dx6 is $289. dx6 is better
Old 10-11-2020, 10:51 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If you get around to buying an OpenTX compatible radio, and actually use the OpenTX firmware(some are optional OpenTX vs factory, cheap radios usually run just OpenTX firmware though)... come back with your findings... Maybe it will be easier for you, but maybe not. Until you actually give OpenTX a try though you actually don't know how easy or tough it is. I say with experience, and I believe the Spektrum systems are one of the easiest around...definitely easier then OpenTX.

There's a learning curve with all of them, but Spektrum has already done much of the work before you ever get it. It's just a matter of finalizing and fine tuning settings. Spektrum is known for "canned mixes".. where your wing and tail types are already there as well as other settings, and you just choose your selection... and the transmitter mixes and assigns it all for you... and there's even a monitor screen and channel assignment screen to test/monitor/revue every assignment. Spektrum does have updates and registration through the internet, and that's about the extent of the DX radios computer interface via SD card.... mainly because everything is already in the Spektrum system, there's nothing to add to it. Nothing to load except for occasional(very occasional for lower end systems).

With OpenTx most all of it is computer based, and there's a considerable amount of computer interface that takes place. Have a look at the OpenTX main page and start reading, as that will be your first introduction into OpenTX, and at that point if you decide it works for you, then hope that whatever system you buy doesn't need service, Many of the cheaper systems that run OpenTX don't have repair facilities...and have very little product support.... and I recommend checking that out before you buy anything.

You already know Spektrum has a service center here in the US.. as well as product support.. and once you learn the "jargon"... with Spektrum you can step up into high end radios, and already know how to operate them if you know how to use the low end/sport radios...they're all very similar.

This thread isn't about OpenTX vs proprietary systems though, it's about a cheaper alternative and the ability to have a fleet of planes stored in a radio. I just wanted to point out that OpenTX isn't for everyone, and if you think it's no tougher then Spektrum, give it a try... but you just might go back to that Spektrum and learn some jargon,... that always helps.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:47 AM
bisco

Ha... i'm wrong, the one you referenced is the dx6e not the dx6. the dx6 is $289. dx6 is better
make sure you look at the one without a receiver. we're both wrong, the current price at hobbyzone.com is $260. but i got it for $230. on 09/24/20. must have been on sale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.