Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

is there a book about all the radio functions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 12:29 PM
RCoffroadracer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default is there a book about all the radio functions?

How on earth do you guys learn about all the settings of a radio and what they do? I have a thick manual for my radio but it is literally nothing but a navigation guide of the menu. it doesn't explain what does what, or to do this, you have do this. it also doesn't tell you anything about setting up the plane. for example, choosing a wing type. it's doesnt tell you 1 or 2 ailerons means the servos count. I had to ask people.
if there is such a book where can I find it? or a website?
this is the bread and butter of this hobby but it seems like wizardry to figure out. I can't even figure out how to set up dual rates. I need something to learn all the basics
Old 12-28-2023, 03:16 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

What radio?

There used to be supplemental books, nowadays everyone just watches youtube videos
The following users liked this post:
oskartek (03-09-2024)
Old 12-29-2023, 05:38 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know if this still functions, but I wholeheartedly recommend the book (as does everybody I know who bought one).

Spektrum DX9 Guide

While the title says DX9, it actually applies to the entire DX line from DX6e to DX20, as well as the NX6 through NX20. And the principles cover the IX line as well.

In addition it has a very good explanation that is radio agnostic, going into the "why's" for model airplanes.

Andy
RCoffroadracer (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 05:39 AM
AndyKunz

OK follow-up:

There's a note on that website telling you to use the contact page instead of the automatic ordering system. If you're serious, contact them.

Andy
Old 12-29-2023, 12:00 PM
RCoffroadracer

my question isn't radio specific. I want to know what the settings mean and how do you use them? for example, what is AFR in a futaba radio? what is it used for? when you choose a wing type, is that per servo or per how many moving surfaces for each? like when you choose a wing type in your plane. choose normal for a normal wing plane, then the options are 1aileron, 2 aileron, 2ail+1 flap, 2 ail +2 Flap, 2Ail +4 flap, 4 ail + 2Flap, 4 ail +4 flap. are you choosing them based on servos or actual moving surfaces? manuals don't say.
then for the tail selection what the heck is ailvator? this is the sort of thing that I'd like to find out because it's not in the radio's manual.
or how about sub trim. what is that for?
or idle down?
what is T1-T6 settings used for? what does it mean to combine them or separate them?
in the dual rate menu, what is Rate A and Rate b used for? EXP A or EXP B? what is offset?
Im sure most of this will be the same for most radio systems. I'd love to be able to find all of this info. I've searched youtube, forums, websites, no one has ever took the time to make guides on all of this stuff. the meat and potatoes of RC plane setup.

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
I don't know if this still functions, but I wholeheartedly recommend the book (as does everybody I know who bought one).

Spektrum DX9 Guide

While the title says DX9, it actually applies to the entire DX line from DX6e to DX20, as well as the NX6 through NX20. And the principles cover the IX line as well.

In addition it has a very good explanation that is radio agnostic, going into the "why's" for model airplanes.

Andy
Andy, thanks. that would probably cover 99% of radios. I'll have to give it a try.
another confusing thing for me is I have a futaba 12fg, it has the option to set up your radio for Fasst multi or Fasst 7channel. if you switch, it says you have to hook up your servos different. What on earth is the difference? I believe this is what has caused my a lot of confusion in the past getting the plane to work like you would think it should. I noticed on 7channel all of the outputs of the receiver are the normal ERTA elevator(ch1), rudder(ch2), throttle(ch3) and ail(ch4). but on multi, it's different. the sticks on the radio are all switched around. I don't understand what this setting is for. one site suggests that Multi is meant to be used with Sbus receivers. and again, Futaba's manual say nothing about what it's for or what it does.

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 12-29-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2023, 12:39 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Well the problem is, your question IS radio specific. Maybe not in the different functions but what they are called in each radio because each radio has its own terms and way of implementing, though most radios at their core do the same thing give or take a few features.

Lets start with wing type. You're choosing the number of servos used to control each wing. I have a Corsair with 6 separate flap sections but they are controlled by one central servo so setup as far as the radio is concerned is 1 flap.

2 ail - 2 flap simply means 2 aileron servos (one in each wing) and 2 flap servos.

Ailevator is say a jet like the F14 where the ailerons aren't functional with the wings swept would have ailevators (or tailerons) where the 2 servos in the tail (elevators) act in unison to provide elevator control and opposition to provide aileron or roll control.

Sub trim centers the servos and is common across all flight modes. Tradition trim (the sliders by the sticks) can be the same (COM or COMMON) across all flight modes or set so you can trim the plane/heli in different flight modes. But sub-trim is common no matter what flight mode you're in.

Can't help you much with the Futaba specific stuff
Old 12-29-2023, 03:04 PM
AndyKunz

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Well the problem is, your question IS radio specific.
+1.

Lets start with wing type. You're choosing the number of servos used to control each wing.
Sort of, but not really. You're really telling the radio how many unique servo positions for that function that you planning to use. To keep it simple, it's how many receiver ports you are using. You can still plug a Y into them and have twice as many servos, but each servo on a Y will be ganged together rather than individually addressable/configurable/controllable.

I have a Corsair with 6 separate flap sections but they are controlled by one central servo so setup as far as the radio is concerned is 1 flap.
+1 - An excellent example of what I mean.

Same here, but FlyingGiants is a great place for Futaba-specific. The rest of the world has upgraded to Spektrum, JR, or a host of other options.

Andy
Old 12-29-2023, 03:16 PM
RCoffroadracer

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey;12791055[color=#c0392b
]Well the problem is, your question IS radio specific[/color]. Maybe not in the different functions but what they are called in each radio because each radio has its own terms and way of implementing, though most radios at their core do the same thing give or take a few features.

Lets start with wing type. You're choosing the number of servos used to control each wing. I have a Corsair with 6 separate flap sections but they are controlled by one central servo so setup as far as the radio is concerned is 1 flap.

2 ail - 2 flap simply means 2 aileron servos (one in each wing) and 2 flap servos.

Ailevator is say a jet like the F14 where the ailerons aren't functional with the wings swept would have ailevators (or tailerons) where the 2 servos in the tail (elevators) act in unison to provide elevator control and opposition to provide aileron or roll control.

Sub trim centers the servos and is common across all flight modes. Tradition trim (the sliders by the sticks) can be the same (COM or COMMON) across all flight modes or set so you can trim the plane/heli in different flight modes. But sub-trim is common no matter what flight mode you're in.

I see where you are coming from. however, I don't really feel that will be a problem for me. from what I've been looking at it's all relative just like using a PC is like using a Mac. or android and apple. yes, the navigation through the radios/phones/computers are different, but the underlying functions are the same. that part I don't have issues with. I've been watching mostly spektrum radio setups and to be honest, it's not that much different than my radio. there's just some basic knowledge that I've learned so far that applies to my radio as well. like I said, I don't need help with the radio per se. it's the terminology is the hurdle. so far i've learned how to set up the throttle cut, idle down, program mixing, and a few other things. they all work pretty much the same on my radio too.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:28 AM
rfbenn

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this kindle book by Malcolm Holt, I know it’s for 16 & 18sz but the programming is almost identical to the 12fg and explains things in a much clearer way.

Amazon Amazon
RCoffroadracer (12-30-2023)
Old 02-19-2024, 04:10 PM
RCoffroadracer

I also found this book. exactly what i was looking for. ironically it was published in 2018. so it should be pretty up to date. you guys failed me LOL
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-20-2024, 05:16 AM
AndyKunz

2018 will make good history reading. Things have improved a lot since then.

Andy
Old 02-20-2024, 02:53 PM
RCoffroadracer

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
2018 will make good history reading. Things have improved a lot since then.

Andy
I just got the book about an hour ago. It doesnt show any kind of radio setup perse. Its about understanding what all the settings are for and a little about basic radio setup such as expo and mixing. Radios arent really that complicated if you go in knowing what these settings do. It covers pretty much all modern computerized radios. Its not radio specific rather radio general. I can see why Futaba isnt interested making books for the radio. You literally dont need it once you know the basics of plane setup and take the time to play around with your radio.

common plane and setup knowledge is what I was looking for. That's exactly what this book gives you. I think its fantastic so far.
Here is the table of contents.

And the first paragraph of the introduction says it all. Exactly the kind of

book I was looking for.

Last edited by RCoffroadracer; 02-20-2024 at 03:16 PM.