Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Eclipse vs Futaba 9C

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 05:29 PM
BackAfter20
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Eclipse vs Futaba 9C

What is the advantage of the Futaba 9C, besides crow, over the Hitec Eclipse?

I can get a new Eclipse, WITH Spectra model and BB servos, for $317. The 9C is $355 on one frequency. I've read great things about both, with the only negative I've found being the Eclipse's inability to do crow.

If I have no interest in stik-planes or crow, is the Eclipse the radio to get? Or am I missing something?
Old 06-17-2002, 06:09 PM
ksflyer-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

I debated over the same thing a few months back. I went with the eclipse. I bought it from www.servocity.com Best prices anywhere around. I must say, I have not been unhappy at any time. I fly both planes and helis with mine. I have 6 models programmed in plus another guys pico stick. It is pretty nice to simply pop out the spectra module and change the frequency. This allows me to fly almost anything I buy including any brand of receiver, Futaba, Hitec, JR, or airtronics. Go to hitecrcd.com and you can read the features as well as download the manual if you like. Also, you can do mixing on the Eclipse to get your "Crow" if you like.

KsFlyer
Old 06-19-2002, 01:49 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eclipse -w- Crow ---- NOT!!!!

If your not interested in fancy mixing and mega servo airplanes like the Ultra Stick you might want to consider something even cheaper than the Eclipse. Hitec's Flash series radios are excellent for basic 4-5 servo flying. If you search eBay you might be able to come across a used Prism 7 with a Spectra module real cheap.

Also, you can do mixing on the Eclipse to get your "Crow" if you like
Call me and Mike from Hitec dunces, because we say you can't do this. What are your mix directions here? How do you assign this to a switch? Don't forget that if you put the radio in GLIDE4 mode your throttle stick is useless for controlling throttle.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:15 PM
rcflier_gi

I had the Eclispe and sold it to buy a 9C. But my main reason was due the mixing and crow limitations of the Eclipse. I could get the crow to work on my Eclipse but I had to flip two switches to activate it. But other mixes I tried to set up for my Ustik just wouldn't work.

Here are few of differences I have noticed between the two, some or all may or may not make a difference for you.

1). You can set any mix to any switch on the 9C as well as multiple mixes to the same switch. The Hitec mixes are preset to certain switches and can't be changed.

2). The 9C lets you link multiple mixes together, the Hitec doesn't.

3). The 9C will let the you trim both servos on custom multiple servo / multiple channel mixes with the trim lever. The Hitec doesn't.

4). The 9C has more mixes ( ex: point mixes, throttle mixes).

5). The 9C lets you set mixes so they are always on (null switch setting). The Hitec mixes are all switch activated and can't be set for always on.

I have tried from my use of both of these radios to make the above statements as factual as possible. If any are not factual I apologize.

I liked the Eclipse very much. the main difference in my opinion is mixing. So if mixing doesn't matter then the Hitec will make a great radio.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:33 PM
hilleyja

Default Hitec Eclipse vs Futaba 9C -- Why Compare???

rcflier_gi,

Actually, I think you made an excellent point for not comparing these two radios. The Eclipse is not even close to being in the same category as the Futaba 9C, nor the Futaba 8AU for that matter.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:50 PM
BackAfter20

What I am looking for is a radio that has D/R, expo, model memory, and mixing.

Airtronics and JR got scratched only because almost no one in my club uses them.

That seems to leave only Futaba and Hitec.

The Hitec Flash 5 got scratched because I read that expo rate is factory set and cannot be changed. Also, I will want more than 5 channels down the road.

The Prism is only about $50 cheaper than the Eclipse, which scratched the Prism from a long-term (manufacturer) support standpoint. Also, 3-model memory is restrictive. I already have 3 planes and I'm just starting.

From Futaba, I can choose from the 6XA and 9C/Z series.

The price of the 9Z series makes it not an option for me.

That seems to leave only Futaba's 6XA and 9C series, and Hitec's Eclipse.

Biggest advantages that I can see
6XA: cost $215
9C: programmability $355
Eclipse w/Spectra: ability to work with any FM receiver $317

Did I miss anything?
Old 06-19-2002, 05:38 PM
ksflyer-RCU

You hit the nail on the head. When I mentioned the crow programming, I mentioned this from another post I read on this about it. I have never used the crow nor will I have use it. The Eclipse has Dual Rates(Aileron,Elevator,Rudder) Expo(Aileron, Elevator, Rudder) etc. I own and still own a 6XAS that I only have around to train my son on. It had a 6 model memory and was a computer radio, however, when I started flying heli's, I need more and the Eclipse had it.

My two cents.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:11 AM
BackAfter20

Would it be fair to say that functions of the Eclipse are more on-par with the 6XA? Even the 6XA is listed as having air-brake.

For powered aircraft, does the Eclipse have anything that the 6XA doesn't (besides Spectra and selectable shift)?
Old 06-20-2002, 02:21 PM
hilleyja

Default Eclipse vs TX-6XA NAW!!!!

Not even. The Eclipse gives you 3 flight modes of programming already contained in the radio (ACRO,HELI,GLID). If this wasn't enought, it also gives you 5 PMIXES. The Prism 7 is closer to being on PAR with the TX-6XA, but even that radio supports 7 channels.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:05 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Back'

The Eclipse gives you all of your listed prerequsites and some.

The one thing that makes this and the Prism radio superior to all other radios in this price range for most sport pilots is simply the Spectra system coupled with transmitter shift shift selectability. You cannot even conceive how much you will come to appriciate this as you grow in the sport.

One other minor point the Eclipse/Prism both have rudder duel rates and not sure if the Futaba you mention does possibly not, Its another feature you will come to love with some airplanes.

John
Old 06-21-2002, 03:46 AM
FCC

There is no comparison of 9C with Eclipse. 9C is much more powerful and have many more functions (no. of channels, mixing and switch selectibility etc.).

As far as spectra module is concerned, I don't think it has much advantage other than if you have more than 50 club memebers present at the same time at the field which is very rare.

And the price... if you are going to spend $300 then spend a little more to get something which will serve better in future.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:49 AM
dmajchrzak
My Feedback: (17)

I did the same comparison like many of you. I went with the Eclipse 7. It does what I need for low $$$. I have had no problems with it or the Spectra module

Its really a personal preference.. .the 9c had features I was unwilling to pay extra $$ for. Maybe someday I will, but if I had to buy a second radio right now,.... I'd get another Eclipse.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:52 AM
ksflyer-RCU

When I first bought my eclipse, I thought cool, any channel any shift. However, every plane I owned, three at the time were all on channel 53 and futaba. Now, 5 planes and two helis all on different channels and phase shifts(futaba and JR) I am happy I bought the eclipse. If I go to a swap meet and see a plane with all the guts, I buy it because I can fly it the way it sits. No matter what anyone says, the spectra is pretty handy. This is the main reason many FUTABA 8U owners have a Hitec spectra module in their radios.

KsFlyer
Old 06-21-2002, 04:07 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Something of concern or not, HiTec's Eclipse does not support PCM technologies.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:50 AM
JohnBuckner

Originally posted by mglavin
Something of concern or not, HiTec's Eclipse does not support PCM technologies.
True however the Prism 7/Spectra does and at a price much less than even the Eclipse.

John
Old 06-21-2002, 05:26 AM
JohnBuckner

[QUOTE
[B]The Eclipse does not support PCM technologys

True however the Prism 7/Spectra does and at a price much less than even the Eclipse.

The Hitec Spectra/Select system with many folks frequently is seldom really understood and underutilized but in time the first time you access this versatility you will never want to go back. OK you like the idea but want even more 'features', lets see what does that leave. Maybe the Multiplex at say 850$ bare tranny with no flight pack or the synthesized 9Z at a price I don,t even want to think about. Now if you really want to go cheap you might find one of the pitifully few post 1991 Aristocraft Seeker systems that were sold with almost no features.

John
Old 06-21-2002, 09:50 PM
Glen Merritt

The Eclipse will be available in a new super fast PCM version by December of this year and all the older Eclipses will be able to be upgraded by the US service center if the owners want this feature.

Glen Merritt
Director of Marketing
Hitec USA
Old 08-12-2002, 05:51 PM
BackAfter20

For me, this was an extremely difficult decision. Both transmitters seem to have more functions than I will ever use, and both seem to be of high quality.

I had pretty much decided on the Eclipse, mainly for the following reasons:

1) The Spectra would allow me to save money through the ability to purchase used receivers.
2) Hitec seems to be a great company to deal with, and their warranty is double Futaba's.
3) The Eclipse does more than I will likely ever need, and I don't plan to buy a stick plane or do crow.

On the Futaba side:

1) After crashing my favorite plane because the (used) radio stopped responding during flight, I decided FOR ME the risks associated with used receivers are not worth the $10-$20 I might save. I feel most people are honest, but those that are not have ruined it for me.
2) At my club's fun fly last weekend, the transmitter hold area was lined 8U's and 9C's. All my questions about the 9C were answered by club members. That means support when I've got a question.
3) I really like what stays displayed on the 9C - trim settings, timers, and model name, as well as the voltage.
4) I'd like the freedom to pick which switch does what.
5) $50 buys me another frequency if mine ever gets crouded.
6) I know this is shallow, but the 9C is really a beautiful box.

Thanks to all of you who shared your experiences and helped make this decision an intelligent one. In the end, it came down to possibly money savings as the only reason FOR ME to purchase the Eclipse. This is not to say that this decision fits everyone, but I know it is the right decision in my case.

I ordered my 9C last night.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:26 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Good choice A year ago I though I would never need more than 6 channels and now Im using 7 all mixed different. Very easy to do with the 9c and NO Y harness.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:07 AM
supersport396

Default Eclipse 7 Heli Price

Just thought i'd pop in here and give you a price on the Hitec Eclipse 7 Heli.

$273 +$6 shipping here

http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/trans...ductId=S549824

Just click make us an offer at the bottom.

Includes: Five HS-425BB Servos, 8 Ch. Supreme RX., 1000mAh RX. Battery, Heavy Duty Switch
Old 11-12-2002, 10:34 PM
coomarlin

I just got my 9C today. Looks like a great piece of equipment. Although I'm not quite advanced enough to understand it's full capabilities, I'm looking forward to learning.

You guys are talking about Crow? What is that? I assume it's some kind of aerobatic move that can be achieve by some kind of mix?

I wish I could find a site that described in detail all of the different mixes and where adn when to use them. Does anyone know of one?
Old 11-12-2002, 10:45 PM
supersport396

Try this link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...light=crow+mix]
Old 11-13-2002, 12:23 AM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

How bout a poll??
Old 11-13-2002, 12:30 AM
coomarlin

Thanks. That answered my question perfectly. Since I'm not into sailplanes I doubt I'll ever need the feature, but it's nice to know it's there

Originally posted by supersport396
Try this link:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...light=crow+mix
]