Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

buddy box interchange between brands

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 10:18 PM
secondchildhood
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default buddy box interchange between brands

I just got my first plane after a 35 year hiatus from RC. So I'm a beginner in all aspects. I got a used but not abused GP PT 40 and a Focus 4 Hitec 4 channel radio. I am curious as to whether the buddy box system works only with same brand transmitters, or can cross over from brand to brand. If so, which brands are compatable with my radio.

I am practicing first with a GP Real Flight simulator that was loaned to me by a buddy, but realize that simulation and real world is seldom identical, just hope it will help me get rid of a few extra thumbs.

Thank you,

Dwight Hayden

Wish me luck, I'll need it
Old 07-27-2002, 11:33 PM
thomasb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hitecs can buddy with Futaba. You must use the Hitec cord, not the Futaba cord.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:33 AM
secondchildhood
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info.

I apreciate it.

Dwight Hayden
Old 07-28-2002, 04:08 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

thomasb,
Is there a difference between the the Hitec cord and and Futaba cord?

I ask because I have a Hitec Flash 5 and a Hitec Flash 4 but the LHS sold me a Futaba cord, telling me that they are compatible. I'm getting ready to train my g/f on the Kadet LT-40 that she built, but when I switch over to the buddy box, the buddy box doesn't have the same throws.

Could the Futaba trainer cord be the problem?

thx, Tom
Old 07-28-2002, 04:48 AM
Tom Nied

Here's Mike from Hitec answer.

You should always use the Hitec cord when connecting a Hitec radio to either another Hitec or Futaba to ensure you have no problems. There have been some reported smoke letting problems when using the Futaba cord so you should not risk it. Also the slave will emit a signal if it has a crystal.

Mike.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:09 AM
Steve Lewin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The big difference between the 2 cords is that the Hitec one has separate Master and Slave ends marked. Pluggin the slave end switches off the RF transmissions. You can use a Futaba cord with Hitec Tx but you must be very careful to remove the crystal from the slave (student) transmitter. If you don't then BOTH Txs can be independently transmitting on whatever frequencies they are set up for. NOT A GOOD THING !

The cord has nothing to do with the different thows though. You just need to set each transmitter up so the throws are correct (ATV, dual rates etc may all need setting up).

Steve
Old 07-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Tom Nied

thanks Steve,
I think I'll start back at square one and get the correct cord. Don't like the idea of transmitting on two frequencies. I wish there were some good instructions regarding setting up the slave Tx. I've always felt the instruction manual with either radio was written poorly. I'm glad we're working this out prior to going to the field, I always hate fiddling around with the radio unless there is really something that needs to be adjusted.
thanks again, Tom