Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How to reverse a servo???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 07:01 AM
tatolazo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to reverse a servo???

I have seen a lot of articles that say that changing the wires at the potentiometer and at the motor you can reverse a servo, but that´s very easy with the older ones, how could it be done with the newer ones that have the potentiometer inserted int he circuit or something like that???
Any step by step photo procedure???

Will be appreciated.

(Of course I could get a servo reverser from FMA or tower hobbies, but that is no so fun)

Tato
Old 01-06-2005, 09:10 AM
ALbert.S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to reverse a servo???

On some servos it is possible to unsolder the motor from the pc board and rotate it and resolder back in place then reverse the pot wires and you good to go
Old 01-06-2005, 10:41 AM
mulligan

ORIGINAL: tatolazo

I have seen a lot of articles that say that changing the wires at the potentiometer and at the motor you can reverse a servo, but that´s very easy with the older ones, how could it be done with the newer ones that have the potentiometer inserted int he circuit or something like that???
Any step by step photo procedure???

Will be appreciated.

(Of course I could get a servo reverser from FMA or tower hobbies, but that is no so fun)

Tato
Not sure what you mean my the pot inserted in the circuit. If that means that the pot is physically surface mounted onto the circuit board with its leads soldered directly to the board (i.e., no wires), then you are probably out of luck. You need to have a pot with outside leads you can reverse- that means it should have a wired connection to the board, so you can easily switch the connections. Of course, you also have to reverse the motor leads.

I've reversed quite a few servos for friends, and I haven't seen a surface-mounted pot in one before. If this is indeed the case, can you name an example servo model, so I can go pick one up and take a look myself?

Thanks and good luck.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:42 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of the servos I reverse have the motor surface-mounted to the PC board. The Pot is still connected with 3 discrete wires.

The pot reversal is no problem, just swap the outer 2 wires.

But to get to the pot, you have to unsolder the motor lugs from the board and pull the board from the motor.

Then I have found the motor to be glued to the case, so rotating it isn't easy to do, if at all.

You have to cut PC wiring traces and patch them back so that the motor leads are reversed.

Possible to do, but best left to experts.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:29 PM
tatolazo

Hi Dick:
I ´m having fun here in Chile with R/C Report, a lot material to read each month.
In deed I´m almost sure the servos I tryed to reverse was the 3003 from Futaba or the 148, but i´m pretty sure that in both was difficult to separate the motor from the circuit board. It is possible, but a lot of work and instead of buy precision tools, better get the reverser ready to use.

I will try later with some cheap servo to prasctice the procedure and if it works I will do it on a pair of Hi tec 645 Metal geared.

Thanks to all, any other tips??
tato
Old 01-07-2005, 12:00 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Its not a problem on Hitec servos that I have seen. Both the leads to the motor and the pot have fly leads.
The Futaba and Hitec servos turn the oposite direction as they come form the factory so you might just use a Hitec on one side and a Futaba on the other. The Hitec 645 is quite a bit stronger than the Futaba 148 or 3003, however
Old 09-04-2009, 10:45 AM
ksmills

I bought a Nitro p51 foam job on sale. Put it together, set it up / rigged it , and took it outside to taxi around the driveway some. Everything worked fine. The next day I noticed the elevator was going in the wrong direction. You pull back on the stick and the elev. goes down to the nose down direction. I am almost 99% sure it was correct when I started. Everything went together too easily. My son agrees that he thought it was correct also. Can a servo reverse some way on it's own?  Is there a simple way to change it back?  
Old 09-04-2009, 11:36 AM
pilotpete2

You should be able to reverse any servo as needed in the transmitter, look for servo reversing in the manual.
Pete