Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Running One Servo Out Of 2 Rx Channels - Is It Doable?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Running One Servo Out Of 2 Rx Channels - Is It Doable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 01:36 PM
tdwise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running One Servo Out Of 2 Rx Channels - Is It Doable?

The other day I was asked to test hop a friend's small glow powered plane that was setup for 3 channels: Throttle, Elevator, Rudder. As is commonly done, he had the rudder connected to Rx Channel 1 so flying with the right stick would be familiar. However, since it was a taildragger, "I'm" used to using my left stick to steer while on the ground and then coordinate both once in the air. Trying to steer with my right stick felt weird and was difficult to get used to so my question is:

Is it possible to connect the rudder servo to both Rx channel slots 1 and 4 (think reverse Y-harness here) so that steering can be simultaneously carried out with the left stick yet still have right stick input for flight?

Ted
Old 09-16-2002, 02:27 PM
EyeflyRC
My Feedback: (147)

I would think there would be problems with your suggestion. An easy solution would be to add a separate servo for steering alone driven by the left stick. Makes for a simpler mechanical hook too.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:31 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

If you have a computer radio, you should be able to mix it so that either stick will run the servo. Connecting one servo to two channels will not work. Think of two commands going to the servo at the same time. The servo would not know which one to use. Staying put and not moving is just as valid of a command as moving.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:34 PM
flyinverted

The best way to do this would be to use a computerized radio that can do the mixing for you. You would set up a rudder to aileron mix, or aileron to rudder mix. When set to 100% both sticks would move the rudder equal amounts.

I think though your question was asking how you can electrically connect one servo to 2 ouputs on the RX. There are third party mixers that are very small that do that. Not sure if there is a mixer for what you're asking for. I used a mixer that allowed me to fly Elevons on a simple 4 channel radio. I think that mixer would could work for your purpose too.

Good luck,
Steve