Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Multiplex 4000 - create your own base model

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 07:47 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Multiplex 4000 - create your own base model

Well, not quite, you can’t add to the base model list, but you can create and use your own model as if it were a base model – a “virtual base model”!

The problem with base models is that they are made for only one particular stick mode, servos are assigned to Mpx sequence, and transmission is Mpx servo centres and travel. Most of us use a different stick mode, many of us have come from Futaba/JR and our existing models are plugged to Futaba or JR sequence, and we need to re-centre the servos and alter the travel to suit our non-Mpx servos. To have to alter all these parameters every time you create a new model is not just a chore, but adds the possibility of an error or forgetting to do one of them.

The solution is to make your own master model, then when you need to create a new model memory simply copy from “master” to “empty”, it is automatically named “master 01”, you rename it and there you have a model that you know is correct from the outset.

Start from a base model, I suggest you use the top one with all possible options, if you use anything less your master will forever be restricted in its assigning and mixing. Name it something like “master” or “AAmaster” to put it at the start of the alpha list. If you have some models already plugged to JR and some to Futaba sequence, create two masters called Jrmaster and Futmaster or something like that and assign servos accordingly.

Now go to menu 2 and assign the controls to your mode. I suggest you assign only controls A-D, set up the master as a standard 4 function model as these will almost always be the same whereas controls E+ can be different for every model. Next assign servos 1-4 to your preferred sequence. Most models now have 2 ailerons servos so you could assign servo 5 if you wish as part of your master. Next we move to transmission mode, make sure it is PPM9 or whatever you use, then set the servo type to “other” if you do not use Mpx servos with Mpx plugs. Although setting the servo type to other alters the centre it does not alter the end points, so the signal is now 0.95 – 2.05ms instead of 1-2ms. In fact JR uses 1.1-1.9ms as its standard 100% travel. To make your Tx match the pre-existing travel of your servos from a non-Mpx Tx, go to menu 1, servos, travel/curve and set your 4 or 5 servos travel to 72% in each direction. (Note that 72% Mpx equals 100% JR, and the max travel of the 4000 which is 109% equals the max travel of a JR Tx which is 150%).

You now have a master file which you can copy whenever you need a new model, and you know that right from the start it will work the way you want it to. All you need to do is assign any functions and servos above the normal 4, and remember to alter the travel % for each additional servo.

You can add some extra features to your master model if they are part of your standard operation. A throttle cut switch is made by going to menu 1, controls, throttle, fixed value, set to 0% and assign a switch and direction. Now any model made from the master has a throttle cut, always on the same switch. You can do the same with rates, at least assign them to a standard switch though perhaps set at 100% initially. My master has the throttle servo mapped to a 9 point curve, as points 1, 2 and 3 correspond to throttle stick closed with trim positions closed, mid and fully forward respectively. This allows me to set the cut, ground idle and flight idle very accurately for each trim position.

Harry