Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Changing frequency

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing frequency

The hot glue didn't seem to keep the crystal in did it? If it is glued to prevent you from removing the crystal then it should hold. Since it didn't I must assume it was there only to check that the user removed it and void the warrenty.

Putting the crystal on the front is just wrong. The FCC should not be certifying radios that clearly violate the regs.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Sport_Pilot

I see my proir post did not include the link I thougt I posted so here it is.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/wncol.html
Old 10-25-2008, 02:58 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The point is there are usually four components in a crystal controlled oscillator circuit. Crystal, Capicator, Inductor and Resistor. Changing the value of any one of the four changes the frequency of the circuit output. And by the way, my License does allow me to adjust RC transmitters on 50 & 53 Mhz.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Sport_Pilot

Changing the value of any one of the four changes the frequency of the circuit output.
OK, but I don't think anybody has argued that is not the case.

And by the way, my License does allow me to adjust RC transmitters on 50 & 53 Mhz.
IMO you are qualified to adjust RC transmitters for all bands, but what does the FCC consider "certified". I have been asking, but no response.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:22 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

Then I must have misinterpreted your Post #37. SOrry
Old 10-27-2008, 11:58 AM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

"The FCC should not be certifying radios that clearly violate the regs."
You must have meant that they shouldn't certify radios that ALLOW YOU TO VIOLATE THE REGULATIONS.
The only way the Manufacturer could Prevent You from changing the crystal would be to not make the radio!!
How do You get the crystal out anyway? Do You have to pry off the little cover? or take the back off??
Are there instructions for it in the radio MANUAL?
Old 10-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Sport_Pilot

[quote]How do You get the crystal out anyway? Do You have to pry off the little cover?[/quote}

Yes, it just pulls out. IN fact the crystal usually comes out with it.

or take the back off??
No, not that it matters.

Are there instructions for it in the radio MANUAL?
Yes, on some.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:31 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

“but what does the FCC consider "certified". I have been asking, but no response.”

Sport, I believe the reg is clear, and I’ve pointed you to the various applicable sections several times. You just aren’t reading them or something, so I’ll spell it out and post the important part. If this is really a problem for you, I can try to get an official answer from my immediate family that works for the FCC.

Reg 95.221 (R/C Rule 21), part E.

E). The internal repairs or internal adjustments should be performed by or under the immediate supervision and responsibility of a person certified as technically qualified to perform transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the private land mobile services and fixed services by an organization or committee representative of users in those services.

The FCC intentionally didn’t name a specific organization(s) or committee(s), just the requirements of the organization or committee must meet to issue certifications. If you haven’t been specifically trained to repair/tune mobile land transmitters by a recognized body that represents the industry, then you aren’t certified to do so. If some Podunk actually graduated from a class that taught how to service and tune radios that adhere to the regulations within the restrictions set forth in the intentional/unintentional radiator section of the FCC regs, then they are certified.

The intent not for the FCC to load the industry with more paperwork in the form of certifications; the intent is for the industry to self regulate such that the technicians have the skills and experience to affect repairs that adhere to the radiation regs.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sorry about the dup.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

If you haven’t been specifically trained to repair/tune mobile land transmitters by a recognized body that represents the industry
Again, who does this? This requirment does not exist for the private land mobile services. You apparently cannot answer my question. The answer should be something like the National Blankity Blank So and So, not repeating the regulation. IMO the reg is not valid if such an orginization is not named or otherwise recognized by the FCC. This is not saying it does not exist, it may be the AMA or the factories, and recognized by a letter from the FCC. You seem to be saying every trade school qualifies, I don't think that is the case.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Just to add a different perspective. Yes the reg's are very non-specfic and confusing. That way an argument can be made many different ways depending on which side of the fence you are on.

In 1969 I went to the FCC office in Louisville Ky and took the exams for a second class FCC license so I could legally work on aircraft radios and CB radios whether it was class C or D. Every five years I had to renew it and show proof I was using it. In the 1980's President Regan went thorough a paper work reduction act and my second class was replaced with a General Radio Operators License (GROL) that was good for a life time. At the same time the regs were changed as you read them now. I still need my ticket to work on aircraft radios but not RC radios according to the regs. Since I was once certified by the FCC themselves, I believe I meet the letter of the new regs and am still legal to work on RC radios.

As far as who else is, it is a good guess as to what they actually mean by a group/persons that can approve ones ability to service the radios.

Oh, my GROL does not cover working on Ham radios but my ham ticket does that. If I only had a ham ticket and no GROL I don't know how one gets certified to work on the radios and comply with the regs.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The AMA's legal advisors, the legal advisors for the R/C equipment manufacturers, and the legal advisors for the FCC all are in agreement that the regulations state that user is not permitted to change crystals on their transmitter unless they are fully-qualified to insure that the transmitter meets the emission requirments of its original Type Acceptance. If you have an FCC General Class Radio Telephone Operator's Permit, you are qualified. If you have been to an appropriate technical school and have received their graduation certificate, you would likely be considered qualified. If you work for one of the service shops and have received on-the-job training in R/C equipment, you would be considered qualified.

Replacing a crystal with one of the same or different channel is not a "modification", but would be considered "service" or "repair". Again, there are legal interpretations to the terms. Contact a lawyer familiar with communications law.

Per the FCC, the crystal is the frequency-determining component. That's because it oscillates on a very specific frequency. The other associated components fine-tune and maintain the oscillations. Also, those other components are not frequency-specific. A tuned circuit has a range of frequencies where it will operate. A crystal is very specific and is needed to keep the tuned circuit on frequency.

It's an old argument where people ignorant of how the law is written and interpreted will try to state that they do not believe that the regulations are as they are. Sorry, but the FCC DOES prohibit the layman from working on a transmitter if there's any potential to alter its emission spectrum. Some types of transmitters require a specific FCC permit or license, other types do not. However, all types require a person to have the appropriate training and equipment to perform the needed checks and adjustments.

[edited to correct typos]
Old 10-28-2008, 12:52 PM
Sport_Pilot

Thanks Bax!