Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec crystal with a Futaba Reciever, Can I?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 10:29 PM
flyrc100
My Feedback: (131)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec crystal with a Futaba Reciever, Can I?

Ive got a Hitec reciever crystal, brand new in the plastic, I need a PCM reciever for a Big Gasser I am building. Two questions, really, will a Hitec PCM reciever work with my Futaba 6TXA OK, or failing that, will the Hitec Crystal work with a Futaba PCM reciever.??

Thanks, flyrc
Old 12-17-2005, 11:28 PM
CP140

Default RE: Hitec crystal with a Futaba Reciever, Can I?

I wouldn't do it. I'm thinking each manufacturer sets their own specs for crystals and while it might work ok... is it worth the cost of the airplane if a crystal only costs a few bucks?

As for PCM... no. PCM is manufacturer specific as far as I know.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:36 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no interbrand compatability with any PCM systems. In addition there are some older and current PCM systems in the same brands that are not compatble with each other, Futaba and Hitec included.

As for crystal brand mixing. Even though of the same channel not all are cut the same but are matched to the electrical characteristics of the intended equipment. While some combos may work but who knows at what cost in efficiency. Care to test it in you Big Gasser for a ten dollar crystal?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:44 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

i would not take a chance
if you use futaba rec use futaba crystals
if you use hitec use hitec if you use jr use jr etc/etc
vinny
Old 12-18-2005, 09:22 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Cost of a proper crystal....................................$10

The look on the face of the wife when you bring a 2000 dollar plane home in a dust buster.....................PRICELESS
Old 12-18-2005, 10:12 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

If it makes you feel better go ahead and get the Futaba crystal. BTW it costs more nearly $20 than $10.
The LHS sells Hitec crystals for use in Futaba receivers. I have several Hitec and Futaba crystals. They all work equally well in Hitec or Futaba receivers. I have lost track on which is which.
Old 12-18-2005, 02:33 PM
BarracudaHockey

Futaba dual conversion crystals are $12, if you're paying more than that you LHS needs to be realistic or they will wonder why everyone uses mail order.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 AM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have asked two very distinct and very different questions. Your first question is can you use a Hitec PCM receiver with your Futaba TXMTR (in the PCM mode) and the answer is no although you can use the correct shift Hitec non PCM receiver with your Futaba TXMTR (in the PPM mode). Your second question is whether you can use a Hitec crystal in a Futaba receiver and the answer is yes. I do not know if it can be done with any other Mfg but I do know it can be done interchangeably with Hitec and Futaba. I do not know if it is an FCC violation but I do know the from a technology point of view they work just fine.

Howard
Old 12-19-2005, 07:41 AM
norvelnut

It's ok to change receiver crystals, but NOT transmitter crystals according to the FCC!
Norvelnut
Old 12-19-2005, 06:00 PM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: norvelnut

It's ok to change receiver crystals, but NOT transmitter crystals according to the FCC!
Norvelnut
It's not changing it that might be a problem, it's the mixing of brands. Since receivers do not send out any signals there may not be a regulation about it. For the price of a crystal I would not be willing to risk losing one of my 60 size planes so I wouldn't consider it in a big gasser but that is just me.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:43 AM
BarracudaHockey

As stated the FCC only cares about transmitters.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:04 AM
tlrascal
My Feedback: (56)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know if a Hitec crystal will work in a Futaba receiver. I do know a Futaba crystal will not work in a HiTec receiver. Now before anybody jumps up and says I don't know what I am talking about let me further explain. I guess the term "work" needs to be defined.

A Futaba crystal will fit into a HiTec receiver. It will operate the controls. It will ground and air range check OK, so now do you think it is working??? Let me continue, it will glitch like crazy, still working??? The reason is the impedance matching of the Hitec crystal is vastly different. So now do we have a new definition or work?????

Use Hitec crystals in HiTec receivers. Now that that is clear I use GWS crystals in everything but HiTec receivers. Works great.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:02 AM
xcellheli
My Feedback: (1)

I have a Futaba PCM reciever with a Hitec dual conversion crystal in it. It is installed in a $2,000 heli and works great. Just make sure you use the dual conversion crystal and range check it. I have also mixed Futaba and Hitec crystals in non PCM receivers with no problems. Of course, playing it safe is a strategy I can't argue with as well.