Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Y-connectors & J-connectors????

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 10:38 PM
Grackle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y-connectors & J-connectors????

Here is a stupid newbie question.

How does the Y-connector work? Does it automatically cause one of the two aileron servos to reverse direction or is that done inside the servo???
I am doing my first dual aileron servo connection and the way I see it if both servos are connected to the same port they will move in the same direction (good for flaps no good for ailerons)!

Also after inspecting the inside of my servos I've decided that with my electronics skills and the equipment I have available it will be easier (actually scratch that just more fun) to solder in my own leads with a larger gauge wire (twisted of course) from the servo to the Y-junction and then to the receiver connection. Besides figuring out how the Y-connection works I also need to get my hands on those fancy J connector inserts.

Where can I get a box of those little metal inserts and the plastic part of the connectors (both male and female would be cool so I can do some custom work).

Also could a few of you guru's confirm for me which gauge wire would be best for the long aileron runs (approx 24"/servo). Also I was told that the servo wire is SPECIAL??? something about gold plated... and you have to buy the stuff from the LHS. I think that's a bunch of c$%^ considering its $20.00 for 4 feet of the standard servo wire. After looking into a couple electronic supply stores they have about every type of wire and for 20 22 24 gauge wire you can buy about a kagillion feet of it for next to nothing. A quick explaination of this SPECIAL wire would be appreciated.

Thanks
Grackle
Old 11-18-2002, 07:39 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default So many questions

A standard "Y" will not change the direction of the servo. There are some sold that will. I make most if not all of my leads as you suggest. There is no need however to get the gold plated pins if you just cut the servo lead, insert your extension, and re-solder the connector at the receiver end so to speak. The short amount of smaller wire at the plug end will not harm anything. You can be anal about it and purchase the 22au extensions which already have the connector with the larger wire and cut and splice those where needed. Check this thread for some poop on twisted leads and wire size.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...959&forumid=27
This next link will explain why some of the wire you can buy a gazillion feet of real cheap may not be the best wire for our applications.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...hlight=twisted
Lastly, this site may satisfy your connector appetite
http://members.aol.com/davthacker/ra...connectors.htm

Good luck and keep tinkering_bobb
Old 11-20-2002, 10:15 PM
larryflew
My Feedback: (13)

mechanically facing the wing servos in opposite directions allows them to work from standard Y connector (ie each with shaft facing the outside the of the wing). If you have a computer radio you can wire individually and do the mixing etc in the radio. That way you also have flaps in addition to ailerons. Look under flaperons in your manual if you do have computer.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:16 AM
avinut
My Feedback: (2)

The y connector does the job fine for ailerons since they are positioned opposing anyway. However in this day and age most aileron connections are made to separate channels. This is a real boon to builders and great for individual trimming. 'course you need a computer radio for that.
There will be a problem however if you wish to use a y on the elevator halves and want symmetry. In other words both arms pointing outward or inward. In this case you can use your electronic prowess to reverse one servo by swapping the outside leads of the motor and the pot.
You can buy connectors from custom electronics on the web. They have been bought by someone but it will forward.
http://www.maxxprod.com/ also has connectors and you can buy the wire by the handfull from Hobby Horse for a reasonable price.
The regular 22 ga. wire triads like this are not likely to give trouble because of a little extra length and you won't have to splice anything.(unless you are making y harnesses)
I just make all my stuff up with "s" connectors and forget about compatability. 'course I have to shave the j connectors with a #11 knife!
I run all my servos (5 kinds) and receivers (4 kinds) from one hitec transmitter with frequency synthesizer.
Somebody musta told you twisting wire reduces interference huh??
Good luck with your tinkering---thats the way to go.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:49 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Default RE: Y-connectors & J-connectors????

If you are looking for high quality gold plated connectors and wiring, go to www.rcaccessory.com.

I stock these and they are very high quality for Futaba and JR. They are listed in the MAKE YOUR OWN EXTENSION section. If you have any questions, please email me. [email protected]