Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

For those of you with 9C's and 3d planes

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 03:35 AM
coomarlin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you with 9C's and 3d planes

The amount of switches are overwhelming on the 9c. I'm planning on getting a UCD and was curious to hear how you guys configure your switches. 8 Toggles, 3 dials and 2 sliders! What are the sliders for? What are your typical assignments for switches A-H? I'd like to hear about your setups......
Old 11-23-2002, 04:40 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

I guess it depends on your experience level. I only have a high rate switch (some put this on a 3 way to have low high and 3D!), a flaperon (which I don't use) and a spoileron (see previous comment).

Another switch I have for my timer and another for my kill switch. Many more to choose from! I have not yet begun to mix!

Go to www.troybuiltmodels.com and find the section on radio set-up. I haven't gone through it closely yet, but it looks like a good reference.

The sliders (and dials for that matter) can be used for things like flaps (turn or slide for more or less).

Mike
Old 11-23-2002, 10:46 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Let me give you my 2 cents on switches. If you fly a lot of planes, keep the purpose for each switch the same for every plane. I have seen a guy kill his engine while performing a maneuver because it was the throttle up on his "OTHER" plane. Remember the 9C and all other high end radios have features that are available "IF" they are needed. With my 9C I use three switches, Rates, throttle up, and throttle kill/choke. That is it for all my planes. If I need additional features, I will define it (mostly in my head) for all my planes. I may not program it for my other planes, but that switch is not available for another function on another plane. It gets really confusing after a while to figure out which switch is for which plane.
Old 11-23-2002, 12:35 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default KISS

Sounds like great advice to Keep It Simple Stupid. I have also seen a scale plane lost for the same reason. Be consistent and enjoy the FLYING not stressing over the radio. Pete
Old 11-23-2002, 01:31 PM
coomarlin

I agree that with all of the switches I want to keep it as simple as possible. I keep thinking to myself that I want switch A to mean the same thing on all of my planes along with switch B and so on. SO If I make switch C my dual rate on elevator I am going to make it the same for my other planes. That way I always know what Switch C does.

I haven't got into mixing so I'm wondering do you assign mixes to switches, or do you leave them on all of the time? Like Aileron Rudder Mixes or Aileron Elevator mixes.

The good thing is that I have all winter to play with the 9C and orient myself to the switches, but I'm just looking for the best "schemes" on how to set it up.

Also Giest, you mentioned "Throttle up". What exactly does this switch do and what type of situation would you use it in? What advantage does it have to just pushing the throttle stick all the way forward?
Old 11-23-2002, 03:56 PM
cmassa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 9C in a UCD. My switches currently are:

A: elevator dual rate
B: rudder dual rate
C: Rudder --> elevator and rudder --> aileron mix (for knife edge)
D: aileron dual rate
E: throttle up
F: throttle kill
G: elevator --> flaperon/spoileron mix (both directions on 3 position switch)

I'm not currently using the rest.
The knife edge mixes are currently on a switch so I could turn it off if I set something wrong. Once I get the mix right I'll likely just make it active all the time. With the G switch I can make the flaperons/spoilerons move either the same or opposite of the elevators. Center is off. I've gone through about a gallon of fuel now and am still playing with this to see what it does. I'm not using H or any of the knobs or sliders.

Throttle up will move your idle up whatever % you dial in for starting or flying. Helps keep the engine from dying in the air. Turn throttle up off to land so you come all the way back to idle. I haven't used throttle up much. My engine is a YS91FZ which hasn't had problems dying at low idle (about 1800 rpms)

This is a great radio!!

Chris
Old 11-28-2002, 12:23 PM
coomarlin

What about this scenerio?

I'd like to take the 3 position switch C and make it a "3D/mixes off/low rates" switch. When the switch is up I'd like the plane to have max throws on all control surfaces along with expo and aileron-rudder mixing. When the switch is down I'd like to have minimal control throws and less expo and maybe aileron-elevator mixing. The middle position would basically just turn most of the mixes off and have medium throws. Can I just do this by assigning all of my mixes to that one switch

Is this scenerio posible and feasible? I'm sure it is since all of the switches are programable, but like I mentioned earlier I'm going from a FLash 5X to a 9C and it's like the dorrs to a new world has opened. I'm still tryin to learn all of this.
Old 11-28-2002, 02:23 PM
cmassa

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I'm doing. I put them on different switches first. I never even use low rates on the ailerons. I rarely use the low rate on elevators. I have about 80% expo on all surfaces and it flies well. I can take off and land easily while still on high rates (full throws). Having them on different switches first will allows me to figure out what I like and see the effects of individual mixes rather than all or none. Once they are set the way I like I can then move them to a single switch.

That said, I do think the 9C will be able to do what you describe. You should be able to assign everything to the C switch. I just haven't tried anything like that yet.

Chris
Old 11-29-2002, 09:47 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Cool,
not only is it feasible, but its easy. plese see your 9c manual for setting up triple rates, then assign any other mixes you want also to the same switches.

please see the 9C faq at www.futabarc.com/faq/faq-9c.html for details on exactly how we setup hte hanger nine ultrastick. it is more complex tha your Uc3d, but it will give you some great ideas.