Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX-7

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:55 PM
jfetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX-7

So I know we tossed around pretty much every conceivable idea of how this system could see interference including wondering if the failsafe settings (from binding or last commanded) were a typo since they were contradictory or both described because the RX really decides by design (for instance the BOT RX always goes to failsafe positions derived during binding if signal is lost), wondered if the GUID was broadcast all the time or just until the RX latched on, pontificated about how theoretically we might be able to take over a plane in flight if we turned on at home and came to the field and a plane was flying on the same 2 channels we got when miles away (if the GUID wasn't checked once locked on), even a little note about never turning off the TX unless you plan on re-setting the RX as well. I can't say I know the answers proof positive (nor do most matter anyway) but there are some new FAQ's on Spektrums’ site that help clear some minor points;

"What is SmartSafe? - SmartSafe is a unique form of fail-safe that prevents unexpected motor startup when connecting the battery and shuts off the motor if the signal is lost. The AR6000 receiver incorporates a unique fail-safe system called SmartSafe that makes it ideal for electric models. Fail-safe positions for all channels are stored during binding. If the receiver is turned on before the transmitter, all channels except for the throttle will acquire their programmed fail-safe position. The receiver, however, will not output a signal to the throttle channel, preventing the electronic speed controller from arming. When the transmitter is turned on and the throttle is placed in the low throttle position, the receiver transmits a low throttle signal to the throttle channel, allowing the speed control to arm. After connection, if the signal is lost, the throttle will go to its preset position (low throttle) while all other channels will hold their last command."

---> This seems to answer why they have both stored position memory and also use last commanded in flight. I can't see the point of going to the pre-sets used during binding if the RX is turned on and not TX is present except to perhaps ensure the gear is down (who hasn't done that one!) or keep the throttle off as they indicate above. It is clear though that they are BOTH used though the first circumstance is probably rare.

"When I quickly turn off my DX6, then turn it back on, it takes about 5 to 7 seconds for the system to reconnect. If I lose the signal in flight, will it take that long to regain control of my model? - If the signal is lost after the system is connected, it will take less than 4ms. (4/1000 of a second) to regain control. But, by turning off the transmitter then back on, you cause the transmitter to scan the 2.4GHz band; find two new open channels; then transmit on those channels; then the receiver must search and find those signals (GUID) on the new frequencies. This takes about 5 to 7 seconds, which is why it takes so long for your system to reconnect when the transmitter is turned off."

---> I like this one because it seems to both answer the question of how long to re-acquire as well as contradict what the Spektrum support person told me (he was not sure but surmising) that the RX would not re-scan if the signal was lost. This little paragraph seems to indicate when the signal is lost, the RX does indeed re-scan, including looking for the GUID again (important because this would shoot down the theory we could take over another plane in flight if we brought our DX7 that was turned on at home miles away and happened to acquire the same 2 channels). Apparently, the GUID is used during operation, not only for the initial lock-on as some here (including myself) surmised.

And finally,

"What happens if two transmitters are on the same frequency? - To be FCC legal, all 2.4Ghz devices must incorporate a collision avoidance system that prevents the system from transmitting on an already occupied frequency. The chance of two transmitters occupying the same frequency is highly unlikely. If two transmitters should somehow end up on the same frequency, other safeguards, such as the GUID and proprietary time base coding, will prevent interference. Of course, with the aircraft system, the transmitter is transmitting on two frequencies simultaneously. The odds of two transmitters transmitting on the same two frequencies is even, more unlikely but again, should this happen, other safe guards will prevent interference."

---> This one seems to put the nail in the coffin on my theory that 2 TX's could control the same RX (again, if you happened to be on the same channels). It states pretty clearly that "If two transmitters should somehow end up on the same frequency, other safeguards, such as the GUID and proprietary time base coding, will prevent interference."

So there you have it, I'm done, convinced, no more wondering "what if". Granted, I have been flying the DX7 all this time I was wondering about these things without incident but these are things that I find useful, specifics, detailed with all the little "what ifs" cleared up (or at least clarified enough to not wonder anymore)...

JFetter (Jack)
Old 01-08-2007, 01:23 AM
mechplas

Is your Spektaba in 7 channels? I am asking with a wild thought of customizing 2 x DX-7 Tx into one, making it 14 channels. The four primary surface controls remains as usual and the channels from the second Tx convert to sliders, knobs, switches..etc. Do you think its possible? Ofcourse, the plane gonna have 2 sets of those AR7000 and binding done twice....

ORIGINAL: Max1965

I can't fly dual stick radios, too many thumbs for me. So I converted a Futaba SS-8 radio and a Spektrum and ended up with a Single-Stick "SPEKTABA".

Works great, was not hard to do and RadioSouth checked the radio out. Flies great!

Hope the pic downloaded.

The stubby antenna gives it away huh?

Old 01-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Newc

gooseF22 - I was at Phil's Hobbies (Clinton St. store) yesterday and bought a DX-7 from Phil. I was surprised to see that he had a fairly large inventory of the complete systems as well as extra Rxs. Just thought I'd mention it in case any of your buddies are siitting on the fence and waiting to get one thinking that they are in short supply.

Also, did you know Len Gillan when he was there (Ft. Wayne) before retirement?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:47 AM
TURBINATOR

Well guys I just bought this radio and had the worst case of interference on my airplane with a gas motor mounted on the nose. All servos went crazy while the motor was running on the ground. Unflyable. Also I checked the fail safe by turning the transmitter off then back on and the receiver would not recognize the signal from the transmitter until I turned the receiver off and then back on again. Another words the transmitter had to be on first. A lot of good this does if you lose the signal, your plane is still going into the ground. This radio is on it's way back to Horizon to be checked over. The technical support had never heard of such a thing. Of course not, they are trying to sell a radio. Well it is smart to wait this one out because I just sold my Futaba 9C to switch over and now I have no radio to fly.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:52 AM
TURBINATOR

Just bought this radio and it went crazy with a gas motor on ignition.
So much for being bullet proof. It is on it's way back to Horizon.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your 9C worked perfectly with this engine and ignition?
did you have ignition and rx running from same battery?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ORIGINAL: jramirez

Just bought this radio and it went crazy with a gas motor on ignition.
So much for being bullet proof. It is on it's way back to Horizon.
That sounds like there is something going on, for certain. BUT - in the 30-odd pages of posts here, and on the "other' forum, I cannot recall a SINGLE mention by anyone of "gas engine ignition interference".... Can ANYONE out here validate my statement?

I have it in two that are RTF - ground runs, many various throttle settings, etc. = rock solid.

The "receiver on AFTER the TX" is the way the system has to be operated, since the RX finds what it is supposed to do FROM the TX. Normal normal, now.

Sorry for your headaches; please post back here after you get some feedback from Horizon. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Max1965

mechplas you have a PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:40 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I have my Spektrum in a H9 P-47 with Evolution 35 in it. Ran 2 tanks of fuel thru, taxied around the field for a while, turned the transmitter off and on several times, no problems here. I have not flown it yet, but my radio is working perfectly so far. I also would not get rid of my old radios. I have 20+ planes, I am not going to change all of those recievers now, but I have 3 9C's, 1 I use to fly all of the time, a backup and 1 in the shop for setting up planes.

R/C Foolish
Old 01-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DP
Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Tommy_Gun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else notice that a lot of the folks having problems have a VERY low post count?
And that their description of the problem they are having is non specific.

Can you say A-G-E-N-D-A ?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:15 PM
TURBINATOR

I found the motor had a loose spark plug which after being tightened seemed to solve the interference problem with the receiver. However, Horizon could not give me a reason why this should have caused a problem. The receiver still does not recognize the transmitter sometimes even after binding it several times to retry it again.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:26 PM
duber3

Hi!!

I bought The DX7, she still on the box
I want to know if i'm someone else have the same thing.
on the second antena, on the back of the electronic board
there is a stain, I don't know how to call it in english but
it's like copper over the years and the rain, it change to the color green!

Everything seems to work well, I don't know if it's normal?

thanks!!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

ORIGINAL: duber3

Hi!!

I bought The DX7, she still on the box
I want to know if i'm someone else have the same thing.
on the second antena, on the back of the electronic board
there is a stain, I don't know how to call it in english but
it's like copper over the years and the rain, it change to the color green!

Everything seems to work well, I don't know if it's normal?
I just looked at one of my receivers, and the circuit board is the color green. This is not unusual at all. Most circuit boards are green.
If you can post a good close up detailed picture, we will have a good look at it for you, but for now...I would not be worried at all.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:54 PM
duber3

Hi! Capt Jim

I know the circuit board are almost green
I don't know how you tell it in english but if it was metal I would call it rusty

I will try to take a picture but it hard to take a good picture
so close of the object

thanks!!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Capt Jim

Hi! Capt Jim

I don't know how you tell it in english but if it was metal I would call it rusty
Maybe pardo, or morron..(brown in english)..that could be a rust color. I see none of that in my receiver.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:56 PM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

It is possible at time when the system is turned on that the rx doesnt recognize the tx. If that happens, just cycle the power on the rx and it'll be fine. Its never a problem since you cant start the model if this hgappens.

The issue with the loose spark plug cuasing the servos to glitch can happen because rf noise can be picked up on a long servo lead and effect a servo all downstream of the RX. difference is that it wont effect the rx and cause a drop out, but the rx cant effect something that happens between it and the servo.

However, its also very unlikely and would be a result of some very extreme rf noise in the model like a loose spark plug or loose ground wire in an ignition. A situation where no PPM or PCM system would work.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:09 PM
duber3

ORIGINAL: Capt Jim

Hi! Capt Jim

Maybe pardo, or morron..(brown in english)..that could be a rust color. I see none of that in my receiver.
Ok here the pic, it's the best I can do, the word a was searched, in the english-french dictionary I found this (greyish-green)

hope this help
thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Capt Jim

That picture is good enough to show us what you mean. I looked at my receivers and they also show similar grey patches...although the areas and shapes of the patches varies considerably from one receiver to another. The patches could have been caused by a cleaning solvent in the manufacturing process....similar to the way CA glue fogs plastic windshields, etc.
My receivers have been flying many many times without any issues at all. I think you are worrying unneccessarily.
jim
Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 PM
duber3

ORIGINAL: Capt Jim

That picture is good enough to show us what you mean. I looked at my receivers and they also show similar grey patches...although the areas and shapes of the patches varies considerably from one receiver to another. The patches could have been caused by a cleaning solvent in the manufacturing process....similar to the way CA glue fogs plastic windshields, etc.
My receivers have been flying many many times without any issues at all. I think you are worrying unneccessarily.
jim
Thanks you Capt
just before I posted the reply I was thinking of something like you mention

I think it's just a little bit hard to figure this little antena will stay connected as far as the 72MHz!!
you're right, there is nothing to worry

sorry!!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Capt Jim

"I think it's just a little bit hard to figure this little antena will stay connected as far as the 72MHz!! "

Ah yes...the wonders of modern technology!!
Enjoy!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:34 PM
booger

O.k. Here is my story. just trying to get an idea. I took my 30" bipe out tonight for the first time on the new AR6100 reciever. Range test is only about 25 paces with the bind button in? The plane flew ok but I noticed that the aleron servoes didn't center well, it would slowly roll off one way or the other with zero stick input? When I pulled it straight up to put it in a snap to a flat spin the throttle shut down like it went into fail safe? It had to have been less the 300 ft away. I thought it might have hit bec cut off so I cycled the throttle and still no response. I landed the plane in the wheat field with out any problem the I stated to walk towards the plane and all of a sudden I had the throttle back. I have put the reciever into fail safe several times range testing and on several ocasions one of the servoes quit working, first the rudder and the last time the elivator? Horrizon Hobby's teck support told me to rebind it and to make sure my battery pack is completely charged when I do this, which it was the time before. I took off with about 75% and when I put it on my charger there was still 47% left in my battery. Why should I have to rebind if it has communication, and where should I mount this little reciever.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:07 PM
skorman
My Feedback: (3)

I had an AR6100 installed in my Mini Ultra Stick. After flying around for around 5 minutes, setting up for a landing, I totally lost contact with my plane and she spiraled in. When I got to the plane, motor and servos were working fine. Easy fix to the plane but I have lost all confidence in this receiver. I haven't yet contacted Horizon about this.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:09 PM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

This thread started out talking about the DX-7 radio, not the 6100 reciever. Are you using the DX-7 radio with that reciever or the DX-6?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 PM
booger

The AR6100 is dsm2 so it is the dx7 transmitter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.