Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX-7

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:28 PM
modifyit15
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX-7

I guess he should have done a range check like you did, Thats Crazy.

Well I not saying it cant happen cause these things are all Man Made, Nothings Proven unless God Made It.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

I had seriously considered using a single battery for both the Rx and the ignition with my DX-7 but have come to the conclusion from all the inputs received that while the rf noise may not be a problem at all, the voltage spikes due to the ignition will not be kind to the Rx. It seems the AR7000 Rx MAY be sensitive to its power supply and I decided to use a separate ign battery.

If someone out there is flying with a single batt for Rx and Ign, please post your results, thanks.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:25 AM
leyland384

Old 02-15-2007, 02:25 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Adam,

Add to you fine explanation;

Even though the link between the Spektrum Tx & rcv may be extraordinarily strong,
we need to consider the interference the servo signal wires would 'pick-up' from an ign rf issue.

Would be like your AM radio analagy & lighting. The possibly glitching most likely would not affect
the Tx/rcv, but rather the signal wires to servo's.

These are 2 seperate, yet interconnected issues, of which most folks (so far) have only considered the tx/rcv portion.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:59 AM
JuanPu

ORIGINAL: RaceCity

Ignition related RFI is nowhere near the 2.4ghz band.
However, we should be aware that electrical noise may as well affect digital areas of the receiver, that work at much low frequencies and quite low voltages.

Years ago I designed microcontroller based devices for cars, and cars' noisy environment (not caused only by ignition, of course) is a very important variable to take in account.

It would be interesting to do the following experiment:

Using a piezo kitchen lighter (the type that provokes multiple sparks in sequence), optionally connect its outside frame to the - receiver battery line (ground), and actuate it. See if this affects to the receiver behavior.

I sometiimes use this rather crude experiment to provoke watch-dog actuation, etc.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:12 AM
olstoney
My Feedback: (19)

Juan,
About ready to install my system into an airplane. I really haven't checked the antenna leads to the receiver yet, but did notice that they were pretty bent when removing them from the foam box. Could you kindly post a picture of the mod you did to secure your antennas? Might as well do this right from the git-go. I have heat shrink tubing of all sizes in the shop. What about silicone sealer instead of hot glue? I don't have a hot glue gun. Thanks....
Old 02-15-2007, 08:54 AM
modifyit15
My Feedback: (27)

thanks Jim and Adam. That clears up a lot of thoughts. I am going to continue to use the Resistor plug.

Juan,
About ready to install my system into an airplane. I really haven't checked the antenna leads to the receiver yet, but did notice that they were pretty bent when removing them from the foam box. Could you kindly post a picture of the mod you did to secure your antennas? Might as well do this right from the git-go. I have heat shrink tubing of all sizes in the shop. What about silicone sealer instead of hot glue? I don't have a hot glue gun. Thanks
and to reply to this I did the same thing to Mine with the hot glue gun I didnt think this was a problem with others.
Just add hot glue around the antenna's in a cone shape (about 5mm Thick) but make sure the surfase is cleaned with Alcohol ( I had one Sepate from The Housing and had to redo it). I belive Silicone sealer will work also but will take a bit longer to dry. you can go to wallmart buy a hot glue gun for cheap come back home and glue it let it cool dry before the silicone sealer is dry.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:06 AM
JuanPu

Here you have.

I suppose silicon sealer may be enough.

An alternative would be using epoxi, but I wouldn't like doing any change I cannot reverse.

Since hot glue is quite rigid, the heat-shrink helps to extend the bending length, diminishing this way the strain. I often use this strain relief method with all sort of cabling.

With silicon sealer it probably is unnecessary.

BTW, the plane is a GP Slinger, that I used for the first experiments with the DX7. I specked it out.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70450.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	622129  
Old 02-15-2007, 09:14 AM
tclaridge

I used to have a Futaba 6 channel, and fly electric using different receivers with varying performance (GWS, Hitec, etc). I fly in a park with a bad spot in the middle. All my planes (about 6) have a glitch when going through the "glitch box."

Well for the first time the other day, I flew my F-27C with an AR6100 installed and my first flight with a DX7! It was great. Very smooth and precise control. And no hesitation or jitter when flying through the glitch box. I fly there all the time, I have learned to blast through the glitch and not over react. The engine on the F-27C is very loud, so you could hear a glitch very well (if there was one). I never heard one. I know what a glitch sounds like because of my Alpha Models F-86. You can occasionally hear the motor in a "glitch rev." because the ducted fan is loud.

Well there were no glitches with the DX7!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:46 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: olstoney

Juan,
About ready to install my system into an airplane. I really haven't checked the antenna leads to the receiver yet, but did notice that they were pretty bent when removing them from the foam box. Could you kindly post a picture of the mod you did to secure your antennas? Might as well do this right from the git-go. I have heat shrink tubing of all sizes in the shop. What about silicone sealer instead of hot glue? I don't have a hot glue gun. Thanks....
Use caution with silicone. Some of it is not electronics friendly. It can cause corosion of PC boards. Only use silcone approved for electronics.

With that said, in this application, Shoe Goo will work fine. It remains pliable and removeable if necessary. It is also know as Kiwi sport shoe glue.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:50 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RC 56 -is all purpose sticky glue -non invasive -water solvent typr - -won't harm plastic etc.. used for attaching canopies.
I put a dab on my 7000 antenna exit points - it is thin- dries clear and makes a semi rigid joint. also good for grabbing servo arm screws -- just a tiny dab -and does not affect those plastics - just makes a sticky film which can later be picked off.
very low tech - very effective.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:51 AM
olstoney

Thanks for the tips guys.
Think I'll try Dick's suggestion first as I have some RC56 on hand. Thought the silicon would be a good idea, but the stuff I have is for automotive use might not be so good.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I am anal about range tests.
I do one each day I fly.
I have caught short range three times.
The time above, at an IMAC contest and one time at my field.
Can't help being anal. These things cost too much not to be.
ORIGINAL: modifyit15

I guess he should have done a range check like you did, Thats Crazy.

Well I not saying it cant happen cause these things are all Man Made, Nothings Proven unless God Made It.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Newc

Thought the silicon would be a good idea, but the stuff I have is for automotive use might not be so good.
The silicones which contain acetic acid are the worst offenders. These were found by GM, back in the 80s - to cause rust inside the engine when this material was used on the oil pan and valve cover gaskets. You can tell these products either by looking at the label (If it says that uncured product causes eye and skin irritation or that acetic acid is released during the curing process, stay away from it for electronic use) or the strong, sharp odor.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:27 PM
olstoney

Yep,
My stuff had the strong sharp odor. I used part on Juan's idea with the shrink tubing and part of Dick's with the RC 56 and it looks pretty good. Now I wonder what Horizon will say if this receiver ever has to go back for warranty service .
Old 02-16-2007, 04:27 PM
y2k6vette

An internal lithium battery or not? Yesterday my March 2007 R/C Report arrived with a radio test report on the Spektrum DX7; and on page 35 under Summary:
"On one hand I don't like the Spektrum's need for an internal backup battery that requires the user to send off the transmitter for servicing every three to five years. That battery could fail at a most inopportune time, such as during a long-distance trip to a contest or fly-in for example. On the other hand, if having the battery changed is what it takes to prompt more modelers into having their radios serviced and professionally inspected every few years, then it may be a good thing. Still, it irks me that so many instruction manuals don't even mention the back-up battery. I was pleased to see it well covered in the XP6102 instruction, but doubly disappointed that the info was omitted from the JR XP7202 and now the DX7 manual. I've advised a number of modelers to have their memory backup battery replaced. Some were totally unaware of the battery, while some feel that it can't be very important if it isn't even mentioned in the instructions. As I've said before, it's a little scary!"

Sooooo, before I placed my order today at my LHS I had him place a phone call to Horizon Hobby Tech Department and ask them directly about the internal lithium battery. We were told EMPHATICALLY that there is NO internal battery; the system uses Flash memory. There you have it kiddies, just in case you hear it one way or the other.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:44 PM
rmh

You believed RCReport and not me !?

I am hurt - sad-miffed-cut-etc..
Old 02-16-2007, 07:48 PM
olstoney

!!
Old 02-16-2007, 07:50 PM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Dick, I never doubted you for a minute.
When you say it...it's like coming from the burning bush!
JLK
Old 02-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Ed

Summary:
"On one hand I don't like the Spektrum's need for an internal backup battery that requires the user to send off the transmitter for servicing every three to five years."

Wow, so much for Mr. Banks 15 page review. What else in that article shouldn't I believe ? ? ? []
Old 02-17-2007, 12:25 AM
rmh

Give Gordon a break --
Old 02-17-2007, 09:49 AM
y2k6vette

Dick,
You KNOW I always believe you! Phil and I just wanted to hear it from Horizon Tech also. No offense intended, amigo.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:39 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: GeeBeeJim

Summary:
"On one hand I don't like the Spektrum's need for an internal backup battery that requires the user to send off the transmitter for servicing every three to five years."

Wow, so much for Mr. Banks 15 page review. What else in that article shouldn't I believe ? ? ? []
Whats in that's worth reading in the first place?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:55 PM
moody152

Here is a link on how to program the DX7 to control split elevators and alerons.

http://www.rcaerobats.net/Spektrum/d...l_ailerons.htm
Dave
Old 02-19-2007, 01:21 AM
alan0899

G'day Mate,
Go back through this thread, it is all explained in great detail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.