Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX-7

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 11:49 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX-7

I have found that having stiffer springs on the transmitter sticks helps my flying.
On my 9CAP and now the DX7 I found that tightening the tension adjustment to the maximum does not feel right to me.
Futaba makes "Heavy Duty Gimbal Springs" as a replacement part.
The stock number is FUTM3640 for a set of 3 and you can buy them from Tower.
They are easy to install.
I back the tension adjustment screw almost all the way out to relax the factory spring and then remove it.
I then use a hemostat to attach the replacement.
It is not difficult to do.
On my 9CAP I bought replacements that were not Futaba from a well known source.
I was not satisfied and removed them.
The Futaba springs have a more consistent feel.
Thought I'd pass that along.
JLK
Old 03-11-2007, 06:23 AM
fredmillard

Hi folks,

I blew the fuse in my DX7. Although the fuse that I removed appears to be marked ".3amps 250V, I read on this tread that the fuse is actually rated at 3-amps. Notwtihstanding, I wish to confirm before searching for a 0.3amp fuse, which is probably like locating a left-handed monkey wrench.

As well, I broke two of the switch arms, for which I need to get replacements. Does anyone know if Spektum will provide me with the switches (at a cost of course)? I dread having to give up the TX for several weeks just to get 2 switches replaced, which I can do myself in about 10 minutes.

Finally, does anyone know how to get the DX7 working with RealFlight G3.5? If so, please tell me the secret because I sure can't figure it out.

Thanks much Fred
Old 03-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

It is a THREE AMP mini-glass fuse. Common in all JR TX's, available at lots of places.
I think Horizon would turn around your repair pretty quickly. All of the switches are soldered directly into special PCB's, and I would think they would replace subassemblies, making it faster for you. I would give them a call Monday, perhaps it won't be as long as you think.

If two switches are broken, I'd also want them to look for other possible damage that I wouldn't know to look for.... my suggestion, FWIW - send it in.

ORIGINAL: fredmillard

Hi folks,

I blew the fuse in my DX7. Although the fuse that I removed appears to be marked ".3amps 250V, I read on this tread that the fuse is actually rated at 3-amps. Notwtihstanding, I wish to confirm before searching for a 0.3amp fuse, which is probably like locating a left-handed monkey wrench.

As well, I broke two of the switch arms, for which I need to get replacements. Does anyone know if Spektum will provide me with the switches (at a cost of course)? I dread having to give up the TX for several weeks just to get 2 switches replaced, which I can do myself in about 10 minutes.

Finally, does anyone know how to get the DX7 working with RealFlight G3.5? If so, please tell me the secret because I sure can't figure it out.

Thanks much Fred
Old 03-11-2007, 07:28 AM
jlkonn
My Feedback: (1)

The only other Tx I have owned that had a fuse in it (that I knew of) was a "G" series Futaba AM radio.
I blew that fuse way back when and couldn't get a repleacement.
After that I kept spares...I can still lay my hands on them!
So...
When I got the DX7 one of the first things I wanted to do was get ahold of some spare fuses.
The local Radio Shack had them.
Of couse you can also find them on the Horizon website.
JLK
Old 03-11-2007, 08:39 AM
RaptorCam
My Feedback: (14)

Tell me what I am missing here.... I see several ads, not just here, for DX7 Transmitters Only for $200, sometimes more. The complete kit with 4 DS821 servos and 7000rx costs $350 if I'm not mistaken. Figuring the individual retail cost of 4 DS821 servos and the 7000 rx leaves a balance of around $130. I have been wrong before and this just might be one of those times I am figuring a cost of $29 each on the servos. Maybe that is where Im off. If I am then the servos would need to be about $12 each to justify the rx being sold for $200. I see the servos going for $95 so add another $30 back and I guess I can see $160 for the TX.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Sherpa FE

A full DX-7 system for $200.00, tell me where and I will get another one. I would jump all over it and not even blink.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:35 AM
RaptorCam

ORIGINAL: Sherpa FE

A full DX-7 system for $200.00, tell me where and I will get another one. I would jump all over it and not even blink.
No not a full system for $200.... just the transmitter.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Bob Pastorello

From your post, I can't tell what your concern/question is..... but... the AR7000 is $99, with one remote receiver.
Full systems have always "parted out" to well over the cost of the individual components, at least it's always been that way on JR systems.
Considering that Spektrum/Horizon isn't SELLING the individual DX 7 transmitter by itself (at least not yet), the pricing of the transmitter is set by individual sellers.
Here's the page from Horizon - no individual tx's.... http://www.horizonhobby.com/Stores/P...RF&BrandId=SPM

ORIGINAL: RaptorCam

Tell me what I am missing here.... I see several ads, not just here, for DX7 Transmitters Only for $200, sometimes more. The complete kit with 4 DS821 servos and 7000rx costs $350 if I'm not mistaken. Figuring the individual retail cost of 4 DS821 servos and the 7000 rx leaves a balance of around $130. I have been wrong before and this just might be one of those times I am figuring a cost of $29 each on the servos. Maybe that is where Im off. If I am then the servos would need to be about $12 each to justify the rx being sold for $200. I see the servos going for $95 so add another $30 back and I guess I can see $160 for the TX.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:19 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hope everyone is having fun with this. I am.

A friend of mine who is smart with circuits was able to replace the linear regulator in the mother board with a modern efficient switching regulator and is getting 20 hours on a stock 1500 battery. Not for the feint of heart. I did find out the motherboard is operating at 3.3 volts, so the power is reduced to that. Dont have any further info yet for you soldering experts.

Which to switch on. Just to be clear, you are potentially setting yourself up for failure if you turn your receiver on first. That one time that it picks up only one of the frequencies with the proper GUID. 99.99 percent it will probably work, but the frequency management is solely done in the transmitter, so let it do its job first. The twin frequencies are very strong spikes -- good signal to noise ratio.

Here is something else we did for binding on a 2 wire. added a separate pin and wire to the receiver plug on the signal port, and ran a jumper from the ground, and made a third plug that stays taped up. works like a charm - same principle as running an extension but I was out of available ports on the rx. Also, MPI's switch with the LED's built in has a 3 wire port built in. works great. I believe the JR stock will also work. additionally, my MPI miracle regulators will allow binding on the charge port too.

Have any of you flown larger planes with the AR6100 yet? I had an extra one and a 65" profile yak/ GMS1.20 5 servos, 2100 Nickel 6v. I would bet that it would work just fine. I am mounting receiver near the back of the wing root. Other than the obvious notes about signal blockage by the motor, any concerns? trying to save a hundred bucks.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
RaptorCam

ORIGINAL: aerobob

From your post, I can't tell what your concern/question is..... but... the AR7000 is $99, with one remote receiver.
Full systems have always "parted out" to well over the cost of the individual components, at least it's always been that way on JR systems.
Considering that Spektrum/Horizon isn't SELLING the individual DX 7 transmitter by itself (at least not yet), the pricing of the transmitter is set by individual sellers.
Here's the page from Horizon - no individual tx's.... http://www.horizonhobby.com/Stores/P...RF&BrandId=SPM
Is the price of $200 in the right range? Not taking into consideration that you cannot get the TX unless you buy from an individual. Of course they can set their own price. I'm just looking at the total package priced out. It seems that the TX should go for less.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:20 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 400 sq in foamie weighs 16 ozs with a 20/20 Hacker and a 2100 ma latest gen tp 3 cell . goes straight up forever -
in doing range checks with this expendable setup --I run out of ability to see the darn thing.
so depending on the BIG model setup - likely the "signal shading" is the real problem so why push the issue.
end of controllable sight is about 2000 ft for me -based on using a model a little bigger -with a on board altimeter -at 1900++ ft -it was tiny.

Likely a big Telemaster or similr thing could be flown much further out as there is no carbonfibre - no tuned pipes no turbines etc., which could spoil your day when it all went into hold.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:18 PM
tclaridge

DHanson,
What Rx where you using? I am assuming the AR7000, but I hate to assume.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:15 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope I am using 6100 in this
Old 03-11-2007, 10:22 PM
leyland384

I'm glad everyone is getting good results so far. I flew with the DX7 for the first time since I bought it in January. We finally got some good weather up here in WI. The DX7 was phenomenal! I converted my Sig Somethin' Extra to the AR7000 receiver, and that took just about 3 hours to replace the hardware, then set up throws, and get the flaperon mixing and dual rates dialed in. I was pretty sure the DX7 was good from reading everyones posts, but my experience today reinforced that idea 100%.

I almost always have glitches during range testing with my Futaba 6EXA. I stepped out to about 70 fairly long strides, no problem. I only got some fleeting glitches when I turned the antenna straight out and pointed it at the model, and even then it was much better than when I used to range test the 6EXA at that range (Antenna collapsed on the 6EXA).

I flew with the DX7's antenna pointed to the left, so the broad side was facing the model in front of me. I flew some slow passes directly alongside the powerlines I fly near. I've had a few heartstopping glitches with the 72Mhz gear while landing in this configuration. Not even a single twich in about 20 minutes of flying with the Spektrum, it was fabulous!

I got an email from Tower Hobbies as a "preview" of the Futaba system. See the shortcut below: (http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../futk6900.html)

I was left kinda irritated after reading the Futaba marketing hype. My favorite marketing hype is the part where they tout "15 years of industrial spread spectrum experience". Oh really? Then why did it take a NOOBIE like Spektrum to get Futaba off it's chuff to release that infinite wisdom? The part about competitors using off the shelf components is nice as well. Yeah, so what? Almost every OEM on Earth does that. Does Futaba have custom made resistors, capacitors, wire, and hardware to go with the "Custom Chip"? It only has to work, and work reliably. Custom chips just end up costing more. As an electrical engineer currently working for an OEM, it takes more than custom chips to impress.

The single most irritating thing about Futaba's SS offering is the 6EX itself. Everything that irritated me about my 72MHz 6EXA would still be irritating me in the SS version. Unimpressive programming, no mixing flexibility, limited model memory, the TINY LCD display and a bulky casing. I was just getting into the hobby when I bought my 6EXA, and I outgrew it in less than 4 months. I knew the 6EXA was a piece of junk when I got the fleeting idea to mix the unused flap channel to the throttle channel to help synchronice my engines in the twinstar. NO custom mixes? What sort of computer radio is this anyway...???

Go ahead Futaba, sit on you duff for another 15 years for all I care. There's a pretty good chance I'll be buying my servos from JR and my radio gear from Spektrum. (I'm seeing myself with the DX(9something or whatever) when it comes out, and using the DX7 to teach my friends how to fly on the Buddy Cord. I've already bought enough receivers to convert all 5 of my planes to AR7000.

-Adam-

PS 6EXA with a micro to micro buddy cord and some 138 receivers for sale!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:55 PM
tclaridge

DHanson,
Thanks for the update. A range of 1900+ is very encouraging for the 6100. I was getting worried it would only push 700ft! I am going to walk off 800 ft (which is as far as I can see) with my F-27C to verify range also. I will post results.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:05 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

ORIGINAL: leyland384
I was left kinda irritated after reading the Futaba marketing hype. My favorite marketing hype is the part where they tout "15 years of industrial spread spectrum experience". Oh really? Then why did it take a NOOBIE like Spektrum to get Futaba off it's chuff to release that infinite wisdom? The part about competitors using off the shelf components is nice as well. Yeah, so what? Almost every OEM on Earth does that. Does Futaba have custom made resistors, capacitors, wire, and hardware to go with the "Custom Chip"? It only has to work, and work reliably. Custom chips just end up costing more. As an electrical engineer currently working for an OEM, it takes more than custom chips to impress.
I have to jump in here to shout that I totally agree with your reaction to the Futaba advertising hype. They need say no more. It is painfully apparent that Futaba has failed miserably to maintain their leadership position in our our sport. As a Futaba user of many many years...I am terribly disppointed in their performance relative to the ever changing market...or perhaps I should say...their lack of performance.
They come late to the market, and their offering of an entry level 6 channel frequency hopping system appears as a last minute desperate attempt to stem the enormous flow of radio sales AWAY from their products. I think we are seeing something of a market correction here. The former big guy in the r/c industry, is rapidly becoming relegated to a much lower position.

Hitec apparently ate their lunch in the servo arena....JR consistantly gained market share from Futaba with their radios and accessories, and now Spektrum is coming on the scene like a freight train. Spektrums marvelous new and innovative products are capturing the market much as MicroSoft did for computers years ago.

I fly the DX-7 and with (7) receivers into the game...I can't see myself ever going back to the big F. I'll have a DX-9 as soon as they become available...and according to rumors...that seems to be in about 6 months from now. In the meantime...I do have quite a number of Futaba 9 channel PCM receivers for sale...and a 9C too.
My oh my...how things change.
Jim

Old 03-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Rod Bender

ORIGINAL: Capt Jim

Hitec apparently ate their lunch in the servo arena....JR consistantly gained market share from Futaba with their radios and accessories, and now Spektrum is coming on the scene like a freight train. Spektrums marvelous new and innovative products are capturing the market much as MicroSoft did for computers years ago.
I was informed that Spektrum is an OEM of JR. With all the initial problems when 1st introduced to the surface application, it did not want to put its name on it until things were worked out. Kind of like the Moki\Mark scenario. Either way, its a great leap in the right direction, although the intermitent rx issues I've read are a little alarming. 8-10 months we should be seeing 8-10 channel 2.4ghz radios with even more programing features.... Greg
Old 03-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

Dick, what do you make of the happenstance of the Chris Hinsons problem with graphics making a bad link.....

SPektrum , if you are watching please take note.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5452111/anchors_5545575/mpage_34/key_/anchor/tm.htm#]88 inch Yak and Spektrum[/link]
Old 03-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Capt Jim

Greg..As I understand it...Spektrum is a name owned by Horizon Hobbies, and they have contracted with JR to build the gear for them.
Regarding the initial 2.4 surface radio problems?? Not being involved with ground based gear I missed all of that.
As for the issues that seem to have surfaced more recently....my take on all of those written about in this forum, and in other forums, is that most, if not all of the problems have been associated with electric flight...and/or the 6000 series receivers. I can't speak to any of that because I do not use electrics....just gas and glow, in mostly larger planes.
The difficulties reported involving the new 7000 series, with two receivers, seem to have been operator errors rather than a system failure. My confidence in the Spektrum system is quite high, and I have converted all of my flyers to Spektrum.
I agree...the future is bright...and it is here, now,...with more good things just over the horizon. ( pun intended ) heh heh.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Capt Jim

Bosshossv8...
It sounds like the Holographic graphics are creating an effective shield for the RF signal.
Very interesting...something to be aware of for sure. Apparently when the graphics were removed, all glitching disappeared. Those holographics must contain metal.???

Old 03-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Bob Pastorello

I have a small quantity of the same "bling" on one side of my Ultimate bipe... just the word "Ultimate" in large cursive. I bought some "extra" bling holographic stock, and yes, it appears to be metallized mylar film, layers...
Frankly, I cannot imagine having so much of it on a fuselage, in the vicinity of TWO receivers, at 90*, to "shield"..... if it was anyone by Chris, I would have completely discounted the report.

Would LOVE to hear some techie info about the how/why/wherefore on this kind of thing.....

ORIGINAL: Capt Jim

Bosshossv8...
It sounds like the Holographic graphics are creating an effective shield for the RF signal.
Very interesting...something to be aware of for sure. Apparently when the graphics were removed, all glitching disappeared. Those holographics must contain metal.???

Old 03-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Bosshossv8
My Feedback: (10)

..... if it was anyone by Chris, I would have completely discounted the report.

It is unfortunate, because many people are just as trustworthy. I am glad it did not cost him a plane.

And not taking someones else's word or input , because of a non-reputation, just summarily dismissing someones report is what is wrong with these forums.

Would you have believed me???

Old 03-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Bob Pastorello

Yes, I would have. No one has a crystal ball to separate the trolls from the genuine, honest reporters.
Guess I'm just a little concerned when I read (on a different thread) a report about horrible glitching, trashed out radio setup, etc., and then read OTHER posts by the same guy (different thread) about his "issues" with self-made aileron extensions. HELLLOOOO????? That is not a classic definition of a "troll", but it sure meets MY criterion as "someone to ignore".

I read a lot on RCU, and respond a LOT less than I read...and yes, some names do sort of "stand out" as "I'll listen to THAT guy"....I don't mean to offend any contributors out there... but on some topics I have learned to be VERY wary of placing undue credence to reports that are posted from people who probably should not be permitted to pilot an RC aircraft without supervision.....

AND ***NO*** - that is NOT you....

AND *** YES *** I want to read factual reports of adequate insight and detail to make them credible.... whether it's good news or bad news... regardless of "who"....

ORIGINAL: Bosshossv8

..... if it was anyone by Chris, I would have completely discounted the report.

It is unfortunate, because many people are just as trustworthy. I am glad it did not cost him a plane.

And not taking someones else's word or input , because of a non-reputation, just summarily dismissing someones report is what is wrong with these forums.

Would you have believed me???

Old 03-12-2007, 11:13 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Too bad the new stuff is not out yet....I would love to see what will be reported by the new flight log unit (when it comes available).
Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 PM
onewasp

From the Spektrum page:

Spektrum Flight Log
Tech Notes

Displays antenna fades

Displays Frame losses

Displays Fail-safes

Monitors Receiver battery performance

Have to admit that as the first 'broad brush' explanation it isn't anything I'd care to "go looking for" -----though it is undoubtedly just the beginning.

Still, I yearn for the days when we either 'scratched' an A/C or built one from a real kit-----then after installing the radio we simply charged up and went out and flew 10 flights----no meters, no warning beeps, no fail safes just plain plane fun.

Amazingly we did pretty damn well too! Today we've got read outs that have read outs but no more (if as much) pure fun!
Progress-----perhaps-----technology beyond the point of diminishing returns-----probably.

Spektrum-------looks like the old days to me-------mine just works-----and it put a lot of the old time "let's go fly" back into the hobby---------and I've been in RC a few millennium too!!!

I loved my 10X -----but I love my DX7 more---------and NO my 10X is not for sale----'cause I sold it in early December

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.