Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX-7

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:49 AM
rino
My Feedback: (121)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum DX-7

I got my 6100 back and they did not mark it. I was not happy about that. I wonder if it even got done?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:42 AM
tclaridge

Hanson,
What do the "1.2 stickers" refer to?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:23 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the sticker notes that the rx is a software updated , new product
just like "windows" products are noted --1.2, 1.3 , 1.4 etc..
my DX rx's have all worked well from the 6000 original thru the 7000's and now, he 61000's
I had one rx (6100) which did the UPBUMP twice -- I swapped it to another model (totoally different motor/esc/etc..) and the problem stopped .
I will send it in -someday -so far it worksperfectly at any distance on a fast aerobatic foamy. I can't make it fail in normal operation .
Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 PM
cooperd

ORIGINAL: rino

I got my 6100 back and they did not mark it. I was not happy about that. I wonder if it even got done?
Look closely at the sides of the RX I found mine had a black magic marker swipe over the word DSM. It doesn't stand out because it is quite transparent.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:28 PM
smooreace

I found myself defending the DX7 today at a LHS. It was only my second visit to this store. The first visit the owned all but told me to leave since I wasnt in the market for anything. Yesterday I stopped by to see what kind of inventory he had in field boxes. The owner was on the phone explaining that Spektrum radios are having the same problem as all the cell phones out. Dropped calls, distorted speach, and all togather bad reception. I couldnt help but laugh to myself. When he got off the phone I mentioned to him that hes the first person I have heard that was completely opposed to the radio. His first responce was that he didnt say he didnt like the radio... HMM.. He said the people he flies with have "large expensive" planes and they wouldnt sacrifice a plane to try new equipment. Anyone want his stores phone # so you join me defending what appears to be the best thing that has happened to since, well, RC?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Well...... dealing with change can be a challenge.
Remember that frequently closed minds have open mouths and vice versa.....
Old 04-25-2007, 09:50 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

ORIGINAL: smooreace

I found myself defending the DX7 today at a LHS. It was only my second visit to this store. The first visit the owned all but told me to leave since I wasnt in the market for anything. Yesterday I stopped by to see what kind of inventory he had in field boxes. The owner was on the phone explaining that Spektrum radios are having the same problem as all the cell phones out. Dropped calls, distorted speach, and all togather bad reception. I couldnt help but laugh to myself. When he got off the phone I mentioned to him that hes the first person I have heard that was completely opposed to the radio. His first responce was that he didnt say he didnt like the radio... HMM.. He said the people he flies with have "large expensive" planes and they wouldnt sacrifice a plane to try new equipment. Anyone want his stores phone # so you join me defending what appears to be the best thing that has happened to since, well, RC?
Why do you have to sell the hobby shop owner? You can buy all the 2.4 gear you want elsewhere. Read a few posts back and you'll see that 2.4 may not be the end all be all. Not bashing the technology, but not everyone is willing to trust thousands of dollars to a new technology (new for RC airplanes anyway). Many have had great success but more and more there are people reporting unexplained lockouts. Sure it may be install issues etc but no need to get upset with the many people that aren't yet ready to abandon 72Mhz.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:22 AM
smooreace

The people that ARE having issues are the ones that are using the older 6100s in electric planes...Lets expand that a little into... Older, 6 channel, and electric. It strikes me as extremely ignorant to bash a product because of these issues, and state that his"People" will never use it because of there "large and Expensive" planes. To me, large and expensive is in no way describing something electric, much less 6 channel. I love my DX7. And I havent even had a chance to fly anything with it yet. Unless you count the 5 foot climb at takeoff with a roll and impact as flight.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:30 AM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

The people that ARE having issues are the ones that are using the older 6100s in electric planes...Lets expand that a little into... Older, 6 channel, and electric. It strikes me as extremely ignorant to bash a product because of these issues, and state that his"People" will never use it because of there "large and Expensive" planes. To me, large and expensive is in no way describing something electric, much less 6 channel. I love my DX7. And I havent even had a chance to fly anything with it yet. Unless you count the 5 foot climb at takeoff with a roll and impact as flight.
I'm sorry, I don't follow you....but as a point of clarification, the issues I'm referring to were with the DX-7/AR7000 receiver. Now these are just reports but I choose to be a bit conservative here and let some time pass before going to 2.4. I was ready to jump on the bandwagon until I heard some of these unexplained issues. Do a search on this and other forums. Again, not bashing, just moving ahead cautiously.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:55 AM
smooreace

OK... I didnt really consider those issues to be a problem in the radio as much as I do a user error. Impropper server setup causing excessive drag on the power system. True maybe, Spektrum should have packaged a tougher battery with the setup, but we as consumers, and modelers should realize the potential issues in such a minimal battery, especially in large scale models. Without looking, Im pretty sure that on the first page or two there were already discussions as to the recievers ability to handle multiple batteries. We as a community have known to some degree since the radio was released that there might be a power starving issue, and we were concerned as to how to fix the problem.

Guess Im just getting a little overly defensive. I dont have a large model. My first plane is a Hangar 9 P-51 PTS. Its never been off the ground for more than 2 seconds, but my second .60 P-51 is being delivered tomarrow. I probabley have as much tied um in everything I own as some of this guys "people" have in each wing of there planes. But Im proud of what I have.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:37 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: aviti

I'm sorry, I don't follow you....but as a point of clarification, the issues I'm referring to were with the DX-7/AR7000 receiver. Now these are just reports but I choose to be a bit conservative here and let some time pass before going to 2.4. I was ready to jump on the bandwagon until I heard some of these unexplained issues. Do a search on this and other forums. Again, not bashing, just moving ahead cautiously.
You must look at this from the perspective of what is available as an alternative, go to the major manufacturers support pages and read all the failiers that are happening with established equipment if you read them in isolation you would never trust any radio.
I fly 2M petrol planes on my Spektrum without incident so far, I am not nieve enough to think this will always be the case, eventually something somewhere will chafe a lead or cause some kind of failsafe kick in, but at the moment I am more than happy. Maintenance is the key, Safety is no accident.

Mike
Old 04-26-2007, 04:35 AM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Cell phones do not use 2.4 Ghz, the higest cell frequency is 2.1 Ghz, 300 Mhz away from the Dx7
Regards

Old 04-26-2007, 06:37 AM
smooreace

I agree completely
Old 04-26-2007, 08:27 AM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Well I was a DX-7 convert. I have it in all my airplanes, including the 35% ers. Now Horizon has told me to not use it at the field with the cell tower where I am having the "mushy" response from time to time. They didn't give me many details but they said "it must have something to do with the tower."

It sucks because I love it and I spent all this money on cponverting to it from 72MHz. Now I am forced to go back to 72MHz since this is my favorite field to fly at.

I posted in the manufacturers support forum hoping for more feedback but got no reply.

So it would seem there is at least one legitimate reason not to use it. I wish I could continue to use it... but it is not safe to do so at this field. As I posted before when I stand further down the field from the tower the problem seems to go away - but it's too risky for me and for the club. I have no idea what signals that tower has but they must be using a lot of bandwidth on 2.4.

Other than that I was a full convert... heck I even convinced other people to buy it who are now stuck with a radio they can't use at our field either.
Maybe XPS or FASST will work better but I am not holding out much hope they will.

I will say that the 6100 issue and the power sensitivity issue have spooked some people.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:12 AM
zoott

I have a problem I cant figure out. With 2 aileron servos the one plugged into aux 1 travel is less then the one plugged into aileron channel.
I have flapperon selectedon . I turned all switches to inh. I have dr selected to com elev.

I checked the travel adj screen and flap and ail are both 100. Subtrim is 0.
The flaperon says o normal.
Any ideas what im doing wrong here?
Thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

You may have slightly differing geometry on each aileron...

Standard procedure is this:

1. Go to normal programming mode
2. Scroll to Sub Trim and set the neutral for the right side aileron with AILE channel and the neutral for the left side aileron with FLAP channel.
3. Scroll to Travel Adjust. Set the desired travel for the right side aileron with the AILE adjustment.
4. Set the travel of the left side aileron to match the right in both stick directions with the FLAP channel in Travel Adjust.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:21 AM
smooreace

Im running the same wired configuration, but also have flaps, so no flaperon activation. I had issues with it for a long time and I couldnt figure it out, unfortunately my radio is about 2 hours away right now so I cant get the spacifics. Are you actually using you alerons as flaps as well?
Old 04-26-2007, 09:23 AM
BaldEagel

Have a look at : http://www.rcaerobats.net/Spektrum/dx_7_main_page.htm
Setting up as on this site I have had no problems with any differential movement at all.

Mike
Old 04-26-2007, 09:43 AM
zoott

Nope im not using flaps just dual ail servos.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:58 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CRHammond:
That wouldn't stop me. I'd find a new flying field before I canned the radio. There's always more than one solution.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:41 AM
BaldEagel

CRHammond

How about returning the units to Horrizon under fitness for use, if they have told you not to use it, it has become their problem as there is nothing in the blurb that says you cannot use this equipment in the following circumstances................... demand your money back and all your buddies.

After you have your money back go to Futaba and see what they say about using their 2.4Ghz in the region of a cell tower, let us know I for one would be interested.

Mike
Old 04-26-2007, 10:48 AM
crhammond
My Feedback: (21)

Good idea!

I am still on the fence... I have never had a problem standing far down the field. I like flying from there... but at the same time I have a knot in my stomach since Horizon says don't fly there. It works perfectly at every other field I have flown at.

I think I'm going to do a few more flights from the far station. I'll let the club decide if they think that is a "safe-enough" decision - i.e. just make sure people on 2.4 stand down the field away from the tower.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:49 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crhammond,

Now Horizon has told me to not use it at the field with the cell tower

Maybe XPS or FASST will work better
You have identified a repeatable and marginal condition with Spectrum.

Many would be very interested in anything you might determine about Futaba spread spectrum at the same field. Your findings are important since the manufacturers have approached the technology from different perspectives. We cannot ask you to purchase Futaba but hopefully you can find another flyer with Futaba spread spectrum and an airplane to put at risk. I would gladly put an older airplane at risk if we were closer,

Thanks for anything you can find out.

Bill
Old 04-26-2007, 10:58 AM
lgrote

DX-7

There is a tower about 1/4 mile from our field. It incorporates cellular as well as VHF frequencies and I have not heard of any problems with the DX-7 or the DX-6. My unit is a DX-7.

LG
Old 04-26-2007, 10:59 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: crhammond

Good idea!

I am still on the fence... I have never had a problem standing far down the field. I like flying from there... but at the same time I have a knot in my stomach since Horizon says don't fly there. It works perfectly at every other field I have flown at.

I think I'm going to do a few more flights from the far station. I'll let the club decide if they think that is a "safe-enough" decision - i.e. just make sure people on 2.4 stand down the field away from the tower.
If you are getting interferance at any position in the field you cannot guarantee that the output from the tower is not at its maximum at this time, it could increase in the future without you knowing, don't fly at that field, safety is not an accident, return the units and insist on your money back, the longer you delay the harder it will be to get horizon to admit what they said, I hope you have the name of the person who told you not to fly with the Spektrum at that field, if not phone them back immediatly and get the name and send your equipment back to them personnaly, recorded delivery.

Do question Futaba on their view of flying within the vicinity of the cell tower, perhaps they may like to do a test at your site.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.