Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum DX-7

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX-7

Hot off the wire!!

Today at The iHobby Expo in Chicago, Spektrum and Horizon Hobby have again made history with the introduction of The DX-7 Spread Spectrum Transmitter! So what’s the big whoop all about? It’s just one more channel than the DX-6, right? Check it out.. This system takes Spektrum technology out of the realm of park flyers and small electrics, and for the first time ever into larger glow, gas, and even turbine powered models!

This transmitter is the second Spektrum release this year, and one can only assume it won’t be long until we see uber-high end radios with this technology soon. That’s right folks, in just a few more years the pin board will be a thing of the past, along with all of the other issues that frequency controlled has plagued on our growing sport for many years. Field reports of the new system are simply outstanding, our friend and inventor Paul Beard is certainly deserved of an never ending high-five-a-thon!

This is just the beginning folks, and thanks to the continuing technological advancements by great companies like this, our hobby is getting better by the day, and changing before our eyes.

For more information, check out www.spektrumrc.com

Aproximate ship date is November, 2006.

Street price: $349.99 - $499.00 - DX7 7Ch DSM2 System w/AR7000 Rx & 4-DS821 Servos

Specs below..
The First Full-Range 2.4GHz System for All Types of Aircraft
Spektrum® DX7 7-Channel 2.4GHz DSM2™ Aircraft System

With the DX7 you’ll be able to fly anything from tiny electric helis to big gas powered IMAC planes without regard to frequencies and free from fear of interference. Calling this kind of thing “revolutionary” just doesn’t cut it. It is nothing less than a quantum leap in RC technology that will change how you fly forever. Never again will the availability of a frequency pin dictate when you can take off. Never again will you have to ask, “What channel are you on?” Never again will your flying experience be marred by model-generated RF noise, spill-over from commercial broadcast towers, or anyone on another RC system.

About the only problem you and the rest of your club will have when you all start flying with Spektrum is what to do with the frequency board.

DSM2—Security and Speed
Unlike most first-of-its-kind innovations, DSM2 is not an unproven concept. It is based on the exact same Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM® (Digital Spectrum Modulation) that RC car racers as well as micro electric and park flyer modelers have been enjoying for at least two years now. Like DSM, DSM2 provides an impenetrable radio link that's immune to every known type of RC interference. And because it operates at 1024-bit resolution, it provides the kind of precision normally found in much pricier radios.
The big difference with DSM2, is that in addition to absolute precision and complete freedom from interference, it processes its signal faster than any high-end 72MHz PCM system. In fact, many of the pilots who have tested the DX7 describe DSM2’s response time as almost telekinetic. You’ll feel more connected with your model than every before.

AR7000—Spectacular Signal Clarity
The AR7000 dual receiver that comes with the DX7 is key to the system’s incredibly robust RF link. Comprised of a compact main receiver that is linked to an even smaller satellite receiver by a 6-inch lead, the AR7000 acts as a pair of extremely sharp RF “eyes” that each take in a slightly different view of the signal environment. Information from both receivers is then processed by patent-pending Spektrum software that takes information from each receiver and combines it to form the most vivid “picture” of an
RF signal than has ever been possible before.
What’s more, there are no long antennas to accommodate. The AR7000’s short
3-inch antennas don’t require any external exposure, so installation is an absolute breeze.

ModelMatch™ and ServoSync™--Extra Safety and Precision
DSM2 and the AR7000 aren’t the DX7’s only marvels. Spektrum engineers have come up with two more patent-pending innovations that you’ll wonder how you ever lived without—ModelMatch and ServoSync.
ModelMatch puts an end to the “wrong model” syndrome.Almost everyone that flies RC has at one time or another crashed because they neglected to verify the model name on the transmitter display in their preflight check. A unique code is embedded in the DX7’s signal so that if the wrong model’s name is on the screen, the model’s controls simply won’t respond.
ServoSync is an ingenious new feature that actually re-sequences the bits of data the DX7 transmits based on the type of mixing you select. So, if you have a dual elevator on your big Extra or a 3-servo CCPM setup on your heli, ServoSync will see to it that those servos working together receive their impulses together. The result is more synchronized servo movement which translates into an undeniable, locked-in feel when you fly.

AR6000 Compatible
DX6 owners and anyone else who flies small electric models will be pleased to know that the AR6000 receiver works perfectly with DX7, too. In fact, the AR6000 will actually benefit from the DX7’s signal speed advantages, as well as ModelMatch and ServoSync. So whatever the aircraft in your collection, be it a .60-size heli or a 15-ounce foamie, you can fly it with the DX7.

What Does the AMA Think of the DX7?
AMA Technical Director, Steve Kaluf, has tested the DX7 and is extremely enthusiastic about what it means for the future of model aviation.

“The AMA is very excited about this technology being available to the radio control modeler. I feel spread spectrum technology is making radio control safer and much more convenient for the modeler. We’ve been working hard to help the members understand the new technology and have been begging them to be patient as we awaited the arrival of full-range systems.
DSM2 is going to be a major boom, especially at larger events. To begin with, those flying spread spectrum systems will not have to worry about waiting in a long line to obtain a frequency pin. Secondly, the more pilots that switch to spread spectrum, the more 72MHz will become less crowded. At local flying sites, flight lines will still need to be controlled to assure a safe number of aircraft are in the air at one time, but I see it becoming the only real constraint in the not-too-distant future.”
Steve Kaluf
AMA Technical Director

More Than Enough Programming Features to Grow With You
In addition to its groundbreaking DSM2 technology, the DX7’s programmability is tops. Assignable switches, all-in-one dual rate/expo options, plenty of P-mixes, 20- model memory, software for airplanes and helicopters—you’ll be able to do it all on a highly-refined, detailed dot-matrix screen.

Here are just a few of the advanced programming features that make the DX7 such a capable radio for so many airplane and heli applications.

3-Position Flap Mixing
The DX7 incorporates a three-position flap system that allows the flap and elevator positions to be preset in all three switch positions. An auto function automatically retracts the flaps when the throttle is raised above a preset point such as during an aborted landing or touch-and-go.

Single Screen Dual Rate/Exponential
Punch in dual rate and exponential values in the same screen for aileron elevator and rudder and see the result clearly and graphically depicted on the displayed curve.

Servo Monitor
Keep real time tabs on each channel’s control position, direction of movement and mixing relationship with this all-in-one servo monitor that can help you visualize mixes before flying.

Switch Assignment
The DX7 offers switch assignment that lets you conveniently combine dual rates on one of many switches or program them to be activated separately.

5-Point Heli Throttle and Pitch Curves
Four flight modes (normal, stunt 1, stunt 2 and hold) are available each with its own five- point throttle and pitch curve. Graphical depiction of the curves makes adjustments clear and easy to understand.

Gyro Sensing
The gyro function allows two gyro gain presets that can be automatically accessed via flight modes or with the rudder dual rate switch.

CCPM Mixing
The DX7 supports mechanical mix helis as well as three types of CCPM mixing, including 2 servo 100*, 3 servo 90* and the most common 3 servo 120*. Swashplate aileron, elevator and pitch values are independently adjustable making precise setup easy.

It also includes:

- AR7000 Dual Receiver
- 4-DS821 72 oz/in digital servos
- 1500mAh Tx battery with 6-hour duration

FAQs

Q: What is the range of the DX7? Can I fly large scale airplanes and helicopters with the system?
A: The DX7’s range allows even giant-scale airplanes and unlimited class sailplanes to be flown to the limits of sight. The AR7000 receiver incorporates a second remotely mounted receiver thatsees a slightly different RF environment. This remote receiver is the key that allows sophisticated aircraft of all sizes and types to maintain a solid RF link out to the limits of sight.

Q: What is DSM2?
A: DSM2 technology is Spektrum’s second-generation proprietary spread spectrum protocol. DSM2 (Digital Spektrum Modulation 2nd version) is optimized to allow all types and sizes of aircraft to be flown. With DSM2, latency has been greatly reduced and in fact the system offers faster response time than any brand of 72MHz PCM system.

Q: What is Model Match? ServoSync?
A: Model Match (patent pending) prevents the pilot from flying a model using the wrong memory. During binding (the process of teaching the receiver the specific code of the transmitter) the receiver actually learns and remembers the specific model memory that is selected during binding. Later if the system is turned on and a different model memory in the transmitter is selected, the system will not operate. This prevents the disastrous issue of trying to fly a model using the wrong model memory. Simply selecting the correct model in model memory will cause the system to connect.

Q: Will the DX7 work with AR6000 park-flyer receivers that are included with the DX6?
A: Yes. The AR6000 receiver included with the DX6 works perfectly with the DX7 transmitter. It actually benefits from the faster response time of DSM2 as well as the DX7’s ModelMatch and ServoSync features. It’s important to remember though that the AR6000 should only be used in park flyer-type airplanes or mini helicopters. Despite the many benefits the DX7 gives the AR6000, it does not allow it to be flown in large glow, gas or turbine aircraft.

Q: How long will the batteries last in the transmitter?
A: The included 1500mAh transmitter battery offers nearly 6 hours of flight time in the DX7 transmitter.

Q: Can I use various brands of servos including digitals with the DX7?
A: Yes. All popular brands of three-wire servos including digitals and even high-current-draw digital servos work with the DX7 system.

Q: The receiver has an extra part attached to it. What does this part do?
A: The AR7000 incorporates two receivers; an internal receiver is located on the main board and the extra part you’re referring to is actually an external (or satellite) receiver. By mounting the external receiver in a slightly different location with its antenna oriented in a different direction greatly improves the RF link in difficult environments.

Q: Any guidelines for mounting the receiver?
A: Just mount the main portion of the receiver exactly as you would a conventional 72MHz receiver in your airplane or heli but leave the antennas facing outward. The external receiver antennas should be mounted at least two inches from the main receiver antennas. Ideally the two receiver antenna arrays will be oriented 90 degrees to each other. In an airplane, the side of the fuselage or in the turtle deck is perfect for mounting the external receiver. For helis, the side of the radio tray is a good spot for the external receiver. Servo tape works great for holding the external antenna in place.

Q: The antenna wires are very short. Why so short and do they really work?
A: Each antenna wire is 1.25 inches long. The 2.4GHz wavelength is much shorter than 72MHz and that is the reason the antenna is this short length. It makes mounting the receiver in the model much easier because you don’t have to worry about what to do with the long antenna wire.

Q: When using long servo leads and or Y-harnesses should I use amplifiers, chokes or other filters.
A: No. Spektrum’s 2.4GHz system is immune to interference caused by long servo leads and there is no need to add filters. In fact, some types of amplified Y-harnesses won’t operate with the Spektrum system.

The System
The DX7 DSM2 transmitter features airplane and heli software, 20-model memory and all the programming functions you would ever need for anything requiring
7 channels. And the large dot matrix, LCD screen makes accessing and using the software simple and straightforward.

Item#: SPM2710 DX7 2.4GHz DSM 7-Channel Airplane System $349.99
SPM2712 DX7 2.4GHz DSM 7-Channel Heli System $349.99
SPM6070 AR7000 Dual Receiver $109.99

Spektrum is distributed exclusively by:
Horizon Hobby, Inc.
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822
(217) 352-1913
www.spektrumrc.com

Old 10-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Geistware

Default RE: Spektrum DX-7

Pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43882.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	543901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36867.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	543902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68545.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	543903  
Old 10-19-2006, 12:45 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Geistware

Q: Any guidelines for mounting the receiver?
A: Just mount the main portion of the receiver exactly as you would a conventional 72MHz receiver in your airplane or heli but leave the antennas facing outward. The external receiver antennas should be mounted at least two inches from the main receiver antennas. Ideally the two receiver antenna arrays will be oriented 90 degrees to each other. In an airplane, the side of the fuselage or in the turtle deck is perfect for mounting the external receiver. For helis, the side of the radio tray is a good spot for the external receiver. Servo tape works great for holding the external antenna in place.
O.K. this is confusing. Are they saying that one, or both, of the antennas need to be mounted outside the aircraft?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Jimnie

Both receviers go inside the model. It is just terminology. One is connected to the other by a cable about 6" long. It is not external on the model, it is external from the primary receiver. Call it a satelite or something.
Jimnie
Old 10-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Geistware

From what I understand, it is as if the receiver has 4 antenna's
Placed properly, it reduces signal loss to almost zero.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:23 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanna be the first one to go on record and be documented for credit for saying this...

Now that Spread Spectrum is out of the back yard and has formally hit the mainstream flying field, we're about to finally hear all the dirt on it that the manufacturers haven't been willing to share with us. Prepare to hear the horror stories. They are a-comin'.

No radio system (by design) is without its faults. Now they're gonna bubble to the top. Ya'll guinea pig it. I'm gonna sit this one out on the sidelines for a while and watch the fight on the field(s) (pun intended).

Everybody seems to think this RCer's Christ descended from the heavens. Time will tell. I ain't buyin' all the marketing propoganda just yet.

I'm a marked man.

So let it be written. So let it be done.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:37 PM
R C Jack

I just bought my Futaba 9c and I saw this come out and I said "Oh man, as soon as I buy something, something better always comes out."

I thought about it for awhile, then decided that it's best I not be the one "testing" this product. I say "testing" because it will be one of the first times something like this can be proven as "reliable tech." As WilsonFlyer said all of its problems will bubble to the top.

In a year or two, if 2.4ghz radio systems prove to be more reliable than FM, PCM, or PPM, that's when I will switch over.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Geistware

I looked at the detail information and it is funny that it doesn't seem to support gliders but is loaded with helicopter features.
Looks like this is where there initial market push is going.

Overview
With the DX7 you’ll be able to fly anything from micro electric helis, to big gas-powered IMAC planes without regard to frequencies and free from fear of interference. Calling this kind of thing “revolutionary” just doesn’t cut it. It is nothing less than a quantum leap in RC technology that will change how you fly forever. Never again will the availability of a frequency pin dictate when you can take off. Never again will you have to ask, “What channel are you on?” Never again will your flying experience be interrupted by model-generated RF noise, interference from commercial broadcast towers, or anyone on another RC system.

Key Features

20-Model memory
Airplane and Heli software
Switch assignment
P-mixes
Includes 4 powerful DS821 digital servos with high-tech resin gears
3-axis dual rate & expo
3-position flap (Airplane)
5-point throttle curve (Heli)
3 flight modes plus hold (Heli)
Gyro programming (Heli)
CCPM, 2-servo 90°, 3-servo 90°, & 3-servo 120°
Old 10-20-2006, 08:28 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm with WilsonFlyer on this one.

While I'm no radio expert, my experience with things radio indicate that the higher you go in the frequency spectrum, the more limited some functionality becomes.

i.e. my 2.4 GHz cordless phones don't have nearly the range or clarity of my old 900 MHz phone. The 800 MHz communication radios the Fire Department I worked for didn't have even a fraction of the range of the old VHF radios they replaced and were extremely susceptible to being blocked by physical objects. Now one might think that's not a problem as one should maintain line of sight visibility with an RC model, but it speaks to me of glitches.

Then you look at the antenna situation with these and two rx's? Two rx's and the antennas need to be placed at 90 degrees to each other for best results? They say the second rx is to assure better signal reception?

Like electric power things will probably be headed this way for the reasons noted, but new stuff particularly in consumer electronics is usually put out with an idea of being first, not being bug free...

I've got too much money invested in my models to be an early adopter on this RC radio technology...
Old 10-20-2006, 09:52 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Zeeb,
I'm also with both of you on this one.
If SS is as good as some say, then I'll wait for a module based system and have backward compatibility with my fleet of 72 Mhz glitch free, rock solid 72Mhz PPM receivers. Where I fly you can turn on a 72Mhz PPM without the tranny on and it just sits there, no twitches and since we have a small number of flyers I litteraly "own" my freq. all my rx are on the same freq. and I use a computer radio with a crystal module (no dial a crash here)
Just my 2 cents, but the DX 7 is still a "light weight" as far as trannys go, no 9303 or 9C super, and as module based radios they are more "future proof"[8D]
Pete
Old 10-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Geistware

Why would they sell a module system for our existing radios when they can make a lot more money offering a 10X with SS technology. From a marking standpoint, it doesn't make sense to support out existing equipment. Also since Spectrum and JR are two different companies, this would mean that JR or Spectrum would have to come together from a testing and product liability standpoint. It would be more economical for Spectrum to offer a 10X look alike than to have JR support a module.

It would be nice if Futaba would contact Spectrum to begin making competitive product but I assume that JR's agreement with Spectrum prohibits this.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:05 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sky is falling!!!
Run Henny Penny!!!
I do fly a DX6- and we also stuck the RX in a model with a altimeter (glider type) flew it to 1900 ft - plane looks small up there -and it worked just fine
So if -lets say - the thing runs at the same (or faster speed than the 1024 stuf and updates as fast or faster - what is the problem?
I have 10X and 9303 - and fly on 53.xxx Ham freqs (KA7xxx)- to avoid the shoot down possibilities from newbies.
And will be at the front end of the line to get the new 7 channel.
For my current crop of aerobats - I still can't find a need for more than 7channels ( maybe more) plug in points on the RX) but I use ailerons (for the main wing) and elevators (for the little wing on the back) and rudder and engine and choke - that's lets see thats four? now I guess I could add "pilot figure of Snoopy waves arm" feature - "bomb bay opens" and smoke pours from engine - but a 42 % ,doing all that is a bit weird
Old 10-20-2006, 11:55 AM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are separate rx's/ flghtpacks going to be available for this? At what cost?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:02 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

In 1960 I had an AM reed system that worked just fine. I never had a glitch with it.
Eventually I abandoned it simply because the new fangled proportional systems offered a bit more control.
These days I suspect I will upgrade from my FM-PCM computer radio to the new SS system simply because it is better. It eliminates the possibility of getting shot down by a fellow modeler and reduces the ignition interference problem.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:32 PM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: Geistware

Why would they sell a module system for our existing radios when they can make a lot more money offering a 10X with SS technology. From a marking standpoint, it doesn't make sense to support out existing equipment.
Because all the high end radios are module based, and if let's say if Futaba doesn't make a module (they allready have them for car radios), Hitec will, or maybe Extreme Link (if it isn't vaporware). Again not to be picking on Futaba, but if they tell their 14Z customers sooo sorry, no 2.4Ghz for you! That will cost them customers for sure
Pete
Old 10-20-2006, 04:51 PM
air mail rcu

But if everyone goes to 2.4 there will be less people on 72 to shoot you down. Makes me happy. I fly Futaba.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:05 PM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: air mail rcu

But if everyone goes to 2.4 there will be less people on 72 to shoot you down. Makes me happy. I fly Futaba.
And since where I fly 72Mhz is not a problem anyway, and I "own" ch 42 at the club field[8D] I will be very slow to change.
Now if I could just use all my Airtronics Pos. shift PPM receivers with a new 9C super, I would be very happy, I'm checking into the possibility of modifying the receivers.
pete
Old 10-20-2006, 05:32 PM
air mail rcu

Hey pilotpete2, How much did you have to pay for "ch 42'. I would like to buy "ch 16"at my field. I need to know what a fair offer is.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Geistware

When did Futaba come out with SS for cars?
can you send me a link to this item?
Old 10-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Silent-AV8R

Here you go:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&C=LDD&V=FUT

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&C=LEK&V=FUT
Old 10-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Electriceddie

Spread spectrum - No Thanks

I will stay with my current 9 C Super. I have used Futaba for the last 20 years and never, ever had any interference problem. Most guys, about 95% who say they were shot down by interference find it hard to admit it was pilot error. Those same guys can go run out and buy the new DX7 and I bet they will still crash due to pilot error. I also find it hard to believe that they will do away with the 72 and 75MHz band due to the move to the new spread spectrum as stated in some other forums right here on RC Universe. In 1991 the gold sticker program went into effect phasing out the old radios. Are we ready to give up our Freq's. to the FCC for other interests due to the 2.4 spread spectrum bands. Move to spread spectrum and we may end up losing the 72 and 75 Mhz bands. I don't know just something to think about.

Ed
Old 10-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Geistware

Phaedrus-MMVI,
Thanks for the link. It is funny I can't find it on the Futaba Website but it is on Tower's site.

I have flown with two park flyers on channel 38. They had purchase there system from the LHS and went to the soccer field in front of the flying field to fly. I invited them to come to the flying field and we all took turns flying. I have a 1/3 scale Extra and then knew nothing about interference or that their unit could be damaged if two people are on the same frequency. One got a little excited and mad when I showed them that I could crash his $180 plane if I turned on my TX. He never thought about my $3000 investment. So he now will come out to see if I am flying before he goes up to make sure I don't shoot him down.

Due to this, will be getting SS as soon as it is available. I would like if for the Futaba but if JR is the only one that has it in their upper-midrange radios then that is what I will have to get.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Silent-AV8R

I will go to SS once it has been proven to be a reliable solution. It looks very promising right now. Right now for aircraft Spektrum, which is NOT JR, is the only show in town. But I will not give up my 14MZ for the desire to have SS.

I am very confident (while having no inside info to support my thoughts) that both Futaba and JR will not be far behnd. They simply cannot afford to wait too long.

For the time being I will stay on ham band, at least there is a slightly reduced chance of a shoot down there. Interference has never been an issue for me. I simply cannot recall the last time I had any RF related issue with anything I fly.

As a CD, the thought of NEVER having to worry about channel conflicts is absolutely intoxicating!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 07:49 AM
air mail rcu

ORIGINAL: Phaedrus-MMVI

I will go to SS once it has been proven to be a reliable solution. It looks very promising right now. Right now for aircraft Spektrum, which is NOT JR, is the only show in town. But I will not give up my 14MZ for the desire to have SS.

I am very confident (while having no inside info to support my thoughts) that both Futaba and JR will not be far behnd. They simply cannot afford to wait too long.

For the time being I will stay on ham band, at least there is a slightly reduced chance of a shoot down there. Interference has never been an issue for me. I simply cannot recall the last time I had any RF related issue with anything I fly.

As a CD, the thought of NEVER having to worry about channel conflicts is absolutely intoxicating!!!
I think it's intoxicating for everyone that has been in the hobby for any period of time. For my 28 years in the hobby I have always been worried about shooting somebody down. Its always in the back of your mind. For some people way back. This system should really reduce or eliminate that worry completely.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:58 AM
pilotpete2

ORIGINAL: air mail rcu

Hey pilotpete2, How much did you have to pay for "ch 42'. I would like to buy "ch 16"at my field. I need to know what a fair offer is.
Nah, dumb luck, the only other flyer with ch 42 has only shown up once with his ch 42 tranny in the 2 years I have living here.
Now as far as paying for a channel, I guess you could make an offer to buy the other guy some new crystals LOL
Pete

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.